You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 298299300301302 470>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:23pm
Jesus Christ this would have been all explained to them before/when they were sworn in
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Sad and tawdry episode this with no winners . If anything it shows how women are objectified and judged solely on their appearance by young males in Irish society. Women seem to be under pressure to look and act in a certain way to appear “attractive” to the “lads”. Fellas too must behave like cavemen in order to fit in, all very very sad. Thank f**k I’m an oul lad! At least some of my generation had a bit of individuality.

Not just young lads. Look at another thread on here -)).   
AKA pedantic kunt
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:31pm
That sort of stuff is very dangerous. If these lads had been convicted, those comments could well have formed the basis of an appeal, depending on the content. More often than not, I'd guess juries either don't understand exactly what the judge said to them, or they do something they shouldn't when deliberating. The fact they only have to answer yeay or nay is what saves them.

Now if they've acquitted these lads in a way they shouldn't have done, what then? I don't know what possible outcome there can be. The verdict would have to stand but it is very, very unsatisfactory.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

What are we "judging for ourselves" in the pics that you've posted Sid?

Well, I'll give you my main judgements from those photographs. 

Paddy Jackson was more polluted than Chernobyl in the last four days of April 1986. 

And Dara Florence was stone cold sober.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

That sort of stuff is very dangerous. If these lads had been convicted, those comments could well have formed the basis of an appeal, depending on the content. More often than not, I'd guess juries either don't understand exactly what the judge said to them, or they do something they shouldn't when deliberating. The fact they only have to answer yeay or nay is what saves them.

Now if they've acquitted these lads in a way they shouldn't have done, what then? I don't know what possible outcome there can be. The verdict would have to stand but it is very, very unsatisfactory.

What chance of it being deemed a mistrial after the fact?

If the juror is now in trouble with the law, will their phone and computer be searched?

What if it turns out they had been reading online commentary on sites such as this during the trial and been influenced by that?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:40pm
I'd say it was Dara Florence's evidence that exonerated the goys.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I think you should delete those pictures if they are of that girl. No need for them and I don't understand what you think this proves.

The complainant was not included in any of those photographs. 

In fact they were publicly available on at least one mainstream media website.

So I'm not even sure why they have been deleted by mods given such.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

If the juror is now in trouble with the law, will their phone and computer be searched?

What if it turns out they had been reading online commentary on sites such as this during the trial and been influenced by that?

I think all that is very unlikely. I don't think the CPS would have the stomach for it, tbh. The juror may be made an example of by the CPS, in that she could be prosecuted, but I think that's as far is it is likely to go. Her phone may be searched but they might need a warrant for that - I'm not sure how it works in the UK.

A mistrial declaration after a trial that resulted in an acquittal would be very, very unsatisfactory. It would be quite disturbing, if I'm honest. I can't think of examples of something like this happening resulting in a not guilty verdict being quashed and it shouldn't. There has to be finality to an acquittal.

See, it is the word of one juror. If this juror says the jury did things they shouldn't have done, what then? Do the police interview the other jurors? Are the police allowed to do that? Can the other jurors say anything to the police? Would interviewing the other jurors about their deliberations be conspiracy to commit contempt of court? It is unbelievably messy - all the police should be concerned with now is whether this juror has in fact done anything wrong in revealing the nature of the deliberations. The consequences, if so, should be visited on the juror only.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

But Florence i) categorically contradicted Jackson and said that he was "100%" having vaginal sex with the complainant, as well as ii) stating that the complainant showed no signs of positive consent. 

She also said that iii) she did not think she was witnessing a rape, but she was in no position to make that call for reasons which should be obvious.

i) and ii) are facts as she saw them.  iii) is perception, not fact.

There has been some online commentary using the #ibelieveher hashtag as regards Florence's evidence. 

If you believe her, you also believe Jackson was lying and the complainant did not shows any signs of positive consent - which tallies with the complainant's story.

Edited by sid waddell - 30 Mar 2018 at 12:48pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:49pm

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

What are we "judging for ourselves" in the pics that you've posted Sid?

Well, I'll give you my main judgements from those photographs. 

Paddy Jackson was more polluted than Chernobyl in the last four days of April 1986. 

And Dara Florence was stone cold sober.

This was already known and accepted in the trial
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:54pm
But Sid, as you know, the law is not about "signs of positive consent", as you well know. You might want it to be, but it's not. The law is not "if she doesn't *explicitly* say yes, that means no". There may be places where it is, there may be movements in that direction here and in NI, but at the minute the law in NI is as has been outlined repeatedly.

It's about the accused either knowing that there was not consent, or not reasonably believing that there was consent, coupled with the actual lack of consent. I shouldn't have to repeat that over and over, but your post seems to proceed on the basis it is something else. The fact she didn't say "yes, I want to have sex with you and I am giving my full, free and informed consent now for those acts to take place" doesn't make anyone guilty of rape. It depends entirely on the circumstances.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:55pm

I think all that is very unlikely. I don't think the CPS would have the stomach for it, tbh. The juror may be made an example of by the CPS, in that she could be prosecuted, but I think that's as far is it is likely to go. Her phone may be searched but they might need a warrant for that - I'm not sure how it works in the UK.

A mistrial declaration after a trial that resulted in an acquittal would be very, very unsatisfactory. It would be quite disturbing, if I'm honest. I can't think of examples of something like this happening resulting in a not guilty verdict being quashed and it shouldn't. There has to be finality to an acquittal.

See, it is the word of one juror. If this juror says the jury did things they shouldn't have done, what then? Do the police interview the other jurors? Are the police allowed to do that? Can the other jurors say anything to the police? Would interviewing the other jurors about their deliberations be conspiracy to commit contempt of court? It is unbelievably messy - all the police should be concerned with now is whether this juror has in fact done anything wrong in revealing the nature of the deliberations. The consequences, if so, should be visited on the juror only.

It would, absolutely, be incredibly messy. But if, through the questioning of the juror, it was to come to light that the jury had indeed come to their verdict by ignoring the judge's instructions, that would be, in the words of a distinguished man of the law, "an appalling vista". 

There are serious implications for the trial process in BOI. 

I believe Scottish law allows a "not proven" outcome. 

What do you think are the pros and cons of this and do you think it's a good idea? I can see obvious problems with it, particularly in the age of social media.
SimonCox View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonCox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:58pm

It was most likely the high burden of proof that exonerated them. Most right-minded people have seen what's happened here. The defendants may have gotten off due to the high burden of proof, but that doesnt mean they're innocent. And the reaction online and on the streets shows that most people don't consider them to be innocent. They may have escaped jail, but they'll have to live with the consequences of their actions. And well for them.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:59pm

But Sid, as you know, the law is not about "signs of positive consent", as you well know. You might want it to be, but it's not. The law is not "if she doesn't *explicitly* say yes, that means no". There may be places where it is, there may be movements in that direction here and in NI, but at the minute the law in NI is as has been outlined repeatedly.

It's about the accused either knowing that there was not consent, or not reasonably believing that there was consent, coupled with the actual lack of consent. I shouldn't have to repeat that over and over, but your post seems to proceed on the basis it is something else. The fact she didn't say "yes, I want to have sex with you and I am giving my full, free and informed consent now for those acts to take place" doesn't make anyone guilty of rape. It depends entirely on the circumstances.

I know what the law and the burden of proof is. 

I was merely making the observation that if one is to believe Dara Florence, one has to believe that Paddy Jackson lied and that Florence was telling the truth about the absence of signs of positive consent.

I didn't say lying was proof of rape and I didn't say absence of signs of positive consent was proof of rape.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 1:09pm
Good thread.

Who was the RTE correspondent who said the complainant's claims were false, does anybody know?

Edited by sid waddell - 30 Mar 2018 at 1:11pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 1:11pm

But Florence i) categorically contradicted Jackson and said that he was "100%" having vaginal sex with the complainant, as well as ii) stating that the complainant showed no signs of positive consent. 

She also said that iii) she did not think she was witnessing a rape, but she was in no position to make that call for reasons which should be obvious.

There has been some online commentary using the #ibelieveher hashtag as regards Florence's evidence. 

If you believe her, you also believe Jackson was lying and the complainant did not shows any signs of positive consent - which tallies with the complainant's story.

The medical evidence suggests that Jackson injured her vagina wall with his fingers and not his flute.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 1:19pm

The medical evidence suggests that Jackson injured her vagina wall with his fingers and not his flute.

"Blunt force trauma" was the expression used by Dr. Lavery, I believe.

There was also bruising. 

Again, not proof of rape (can any injury be? I doubt it) but I'd say such injuries are consistent with it, or at least with sexual assault.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 1:20pm
Florence's evidence plus at least 4 messages sent by the lads on Whatsapp would suggest that Jackson did have sex with her.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 298299300301302 470>
  Share Topic