You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 250251252253254 470>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:11pm
Boisterous banter from the goys
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Seemingly some of the chaps got a bit carried away after a few Heinos recently.

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/donnybrook-fight-st-michaels-terenure-382315

Terenure, 
Superior! 
The best in the Leinster and we know we are!

Nure Nure 
Super Nure
Nure Nure 
Super Nure
Nure Nure 
Super Nure
Super Terenure college

El Puto Amo
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:16pm
Total scombags, goys.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:22pm
They are hardly going to prosecute themselves!
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:42pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:42pm
In fairness, I'm not sure football fans, as a collective can throw stones.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I'd say what happened was that a load of football fans dressed up as rugger heads and started causing ructions in an effort to sully the good name of rugby. I blame Rovers. 
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:00pm

But this is the point and is something I have seen throughout my life, especially in pubs that I am in, either working or socially. When rugby lads go on the lash and act the **** it is dismissed as 'high jinks'. A pub that is reasonably local to me has connections with the local semi-pro team, I have seen absolutely appalling behaviour from fans, club members and supporters alike, really horribly stuff, and yet it was never mentioned anywhere else.
The flip side of that is that the local rag will bring football fans, particularly of the local club into everything. The bottom line is, what is often classed as high jinks by rugby fans is classified as hooliganism by the media and, sadly, those that supposedly uphold law and order see it the same way. It is one law for one and not all.
When you have a spare moment, have an internet search about the behaviour of Welsh rugby fans on match days in Cardiff and how it is policed and even reported, then do the same for the football, both the Welsh national team and Cardiff City, who themselves will be the first to admit that they have an element.
It is nothing more than blatant hypocrisy based on perceived class.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

But this is the point and is something I have seen throughout my life, especially in pubs that I am in, either working or socially. When rugby lads go on the lash and act the **** it is dismissed as 'high jinks'. A pub that is reasonably local to me has connections with the local semi-pro team, I have seen absolutely appalling behaviour from fans, club members and supporters alike, really horribly stuff, and yet it was never mentioned anywhere else.

Oh, do tell?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Oh, do tell?
Usual 'goys' banter, grabbing arses, male and female, pushing each other over tables, throwing beer everywhere,smashing glasses,  getting sick , not even trying to hide their cocaine intake. All that sort of bollocksology; if it was a few lads from the estate on the way back from the football the cops would have been called.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:15pm
PM, I disagree that it is hypocrisy, while not disagreeing that at some levels the behaviour can be the same. But the historical problem of football hoologanism has been a lot more dangerous than the general behaviour of unruly people who are attracted to sport. Problems associated with football social disorder are often a lot deeper rooted, focused, and in some cases disgustingly political (the involvement of the far right). That and the historical organisation of football violence. Rugby may get more of a pass than it deserves, but the history of football social disorder speaks for itself. I'm willing to call it out as it has impacted the manner in which fans can enjoy going to a game, or how you can attend matches, which has impacted all of us.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:23pm

PM, I disagree that it is hypocrisy, while not disagreeing that at some levels the behaviour can be the same. But the historical problem of football hoologanism has been a lot more dangerous than the general behaviour of unruly people who are attracted to sport. Problems associated with football social disorder are often a lot deeper rooted, focused, and in some cases disgustingly political (the involvement of the far right). That and the historical organisation of football violence. Rugby may get more of a pass than it deserves, but the history of football social disorder speaks for itself. I'm willing to call it out as it has impacted the manner in which fans can enjoy going to a game, or how you can attend matches, which has impacted all of us.
And that works both ways! I would be very slow to go to a rugby game here because of the type of oik it attracts, I have had the advantage of doing some work at the club to see first hand. I have never had anything but a pleasurable experience at the football.
I understand well the history and impact of football hooliganism, but if football fans are continually blamed for the ills of the past then neither the game nor society will ever be rid of it.
It is nothing but hypocrisy to treat the same sort of actions differently because of the historical problems of one sport over another.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:29pm
I didn't have to wait more than a couple of years of watching football before I saw hooliganism first hand (Lansdowne Road '95). And thanks to modern social media it shows old habits die hard. Think Russia at Euro 2016? Think the scourge of politically motivated hooliganism in Eastern Europe? England continues to have an undercurrent of it if you sit as an away fan at a game, or as a home supporter beside the away fans section. We continue to see elements of the nastier elements of football hoploganism in Europe, which makes clear it is not buried.

Both contemporary and historical football hooliganism are not the same as the worst elements of rugby thuggishness, and that's why it is not a hypocrisy.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:33pm

I didn't have to wait more than a couple of years of watching football before I saw hooliganism first hand (Lansdowne Road '95). And thanks to modern social media it shows old habits die hard. Think Russia at Euro 2016? Think the scourge of politically motivated hooliganism in Eastern Europe? England continues to have an undercurrent of it if you sit as an away fan at a game, or as a home supporter beside the away fans section. We continue to see elements of the nastier elements of football hoploganism in Europe, which makes clear it is not buried.

Both contemporary and historical football hooliganism are not the same as the worst elements of rugby thuggishness, and that's why it is not a hypocrisy.
But that isn't what is being compared here, you are being disingenuous. What is being compared here is football fans being constantly being blamed for the sins of the past and others, while rugby fans can behave how the bloody well please without sanction.
It is the very attitude you are expressing that is such a drawback to rugby as a sport, this superior attitude that manifests itself, as well as the constant need to refer itself to football rather than take responsibility for itself.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:36pm
PM, to me that's what exactly is being compared. Football hooliganism hasn't gone away. Bad behaviour amongst rugby supports is generally idiotic boorishness (and the superior attitude). Football hooliganism is more dangerous.

Like I said, rugby should get no more of a pass. But football has a particularly egregious past and present with hoologanism, and as a result it gets greater scrutiny. In this case, football fans were casting stones, and I dissented. I feel strongly about football hooliganism, as it has gone a long way to destroy some of the good elements of how to watch games, or to enjoy a game like in other sports.

Edited by Het-field - 30 Jan 2018 at 3:38pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:49pm

PM, to me that's what exactly is being compared. Football hooliganism hasn't gone away. Bad behaviour amongst rugby supports is generally idiotic boorishness (and the superior attitude). Football hooliganism is more dangerous.

Like I said, rugby should get no more of a pass. But football has a particularly egregious past and present with hoologanism, and as a result it gets greater scrutiny. In this case, football fans were casting stones, and I dissented. I feel strongly about football hooliganism, as it has gone a long way to destroy some of the good elements of how to watch games, or to enjoy a game like in other sports.
Then you clearly haven't read my original post, that or deliberately ignoring it in the typically manner one would expect from a rugby fan. What is considered 'boorishness' at rugby is considered hooliganism at football. I am not asking football to be treated differently, merely that rugby be treated the same.
Like I said, the 'boorishness' is so great that I would think twice about watching rugby.But it's ok, there isn't a history of them doing it?

The fact football has been brought into the matter at all is symbolic of what I see as rugby's problem.

Edited by pre Madonna - 30 Jan 2018 at 3:51pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:56pm
Well, the Gardai were called to the incident, which is exactly the same as would happen in any other case.

But football and rugby are different in terms of their history and present with violence. That is just a fact of life. Football brought upon itself this reputation, and improvements made are regularly undermined by those who use it as an excuse for a punch up. If it keeps going this way rugby will also be spoken of in the same tones. But football is a long way beyond that.

I've made it clear why I brought football into it. Glass houses and all that.

Edited by Het-field - 30 Jan 2018 at 3:57pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 4:04pm

Well, the Gardai were called to the incident, which is exactly the same as would happen in any other case.

But football and rugby are different in terms of their history and present with violence. That is just a fact of life. Football brought upon itself this reputation, and improvements made are regularly undermined by those who use it as an excuse for a punch up. If it keeps going this way rugby will also be spoken of in the same tones. But football is a long way beyond that.

I've made it clear why I brought football into it. Glass houses and all that.
So football fans can't comment on this because some other fans like a punch-up?
The reaction from yourself, as well as Terenure College, show that rugby sees itself as different, even when clearly wrong?
Football is my favourite sport, rugby second. I can talk about problems in football, big or samll, without bringing anything else into it, it is nearly impossible to discuss the sport of rugby with anyone without football being dragged into it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 250251252253254 470>
  Share Topic