You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 470>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 5:51pm
Well, 3/4 Irish sides are not guaranteed to qualify every year. Only 1 is guaranteed and it is conceivable you could end up with just 2 qualifying.

Pro 12 now gets 7 places in Europe. Top one from each country gets in, followed by the next highest three sides. Conceivably, you could see two of the four sides finishing outside the top six in the Pro 12, with one of the Italian sides finishing further down but still getting a place.

It really wouldn't be good for the IRFU business plan and centralised contracts if one of the big three provinces missed out on European rugby, that's for sure.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Had a talk on sports analytics today from Sarcens technical analyst Bill Gerrard in work. One of the things he did when examining Sarcens to other big teams was looking at the difference in time played by their strongest 15.

What I thought was interesting was that he said on average Sarcens players played circa twice as many minutes as Lenister players. I imagine this is the same for many Rabo teams in comparison to English and French teams.

Given 3/4 Irish teams are guaranteed to qualify for the European cup every year irrespective of their league position you'd think they'd perform even better, given French and English teams need to play well in their leagues to make European competition.

Not sure how it adds up they'd play better??

Also missing the enormous money spent by French clubs, Toulouse spending €35m this year for no return

1.Toulouse (35.02)
2. Clermont (27,90)
3. Toulon (25,37)
4. Racing: (25,36)
5. Stade français (25,28)
6. Montpellier (22,54)
7. Lyon (21,03)
8. Grenoble (20,77)
9. Castres (19,04)
10. UBB (15,86)
11. Bayonne (15,76)
12. La Rochelle (14,47)
13. Oyonnax (14,28)
14. Brive (13,63)
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 6:14pm
Sorry lads my mistake on the 3/4 auto qualify. That's fine in theory SD, but in reality 3/4 Irish teams will more than likely qualify for the European cup, given the standard of the league.

Anyway what I thought was interesting was the minutes played by the Irish teams strongest teams as opposed to the English and French teams, are Sarcens in particular.

What I mean Nvidic is the Irish teams' players are fresher as they don't play as many minutes in the league as the French and English.

Surely fresh players should have a better chance of wining than fatigued ones?

Edited by seanyshuffler - 22 Apr 2015 at 6:14pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Sorry lads my mistake on the 3/4 auto qualify. That's fine in theory SD, but in reality 3/4 Irish teams will more than likely qualify for the European cup, given the standard of the league.

Anyway what I thought was interesting was the minutes played by the Irish teams strongest teams as opposed to the English and French teams, are Sarcens in particular.

What I mean Nvidic is the Irish teams' players are fresher as they don't play as many minutes in the league as the French and English.

Surely fresh players should have a better chance of wining than fatigued ones?

The flip side of that us players who have tough games week in week out don't have to step up as much as level when the big european games come along. They also have far bigger strength in depth

kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

I recall when these two French clubs last played in the final at Lansdowne Road they filled the 51,000 capacity. I won't be surprised to see Twickenham full or close to on final day. Lots of English are Irish will have bought tickets hoping for involvement and will still go for the spectacle.

The Heineken cup final in 2003 wasn't capacity at LR or anything near it,it was just over half full 28k

Eh? The last time these two clubs met in the final was only 3 years ago, with LR filled to capacity.
Athough, 'tis likely many Munster fans had already bought tickets in anticipation and went regardless.

I'm revising my prediction that Twickenham will be close to full for this years final. In hindsight, this ground will likely prove to be way too big to fill, for two visiting French clubs from smallish towns.

Sorry,misunderstood,got that one wrongEmbarrassed
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 5:09am
So, the equivalent of the Egg CL final a few hours ago,  and not one of the Rugby die hards has cared to comment on the game, on the singular Oval ball thread on Ybig. I can only presume the sheer tension & excitement of the game kept most of the regular contributors to this thread from commenting on the game due to the  physical & mental exhaustion of having an interest in the outcome of a unique clash that would determine the club kingpins of (#) rugbycountry for the next 12 months. 

Just in case anyone is in suspense, or currently unable to operate Google for some reason, Toulon won it again (3rd time in a row), an excellent individual try from the former Oz winger Drew Mitchell being the difference between the 2 sides in the end. Also a great individual try just before that by Clermont's Nick Abendanon (tho surely a player of Carl Heyman's vast experience should have hauled him down & taken the inevitable red card) kept them in it to the death. 

The marketing overlords of the (formerly) ERC (dunno what they are called this week) eventually managed to sell 70% of the capacity of Twickenham to the greater Egg public, but, to be fair about it, the marketing overlords of Mr Murdoch's TV organisation made sure there were (up to around the 65 minute mark anyway) plenty of crowd shots of Southern French actual rugby fans congregating in the main square of Clermont Ferrand cheering on their team. And fcukin hell, there were loads of them. 

No such pictures from Toulon, perhaps the signal was poor. As games of Egg go, it wasn't the worst I've seen, hopefully all the Irish egg fans on here & elsewhere watched it & saw something Joe can build on for the world (ahem) cup. 

In other Egg news, one of Irish rugby's most successful players ever announced his retirement from the game during the week, again, I can only presume nobody commented on it due to them coming to terms with the reality & sheer devastation that Gordon D'Arcy (for it is him)  will probably never appear in a green jersey again. Average enough career, only participated in a record breaking International centre partnership with some other lad called O'Driscoll, voted player of the 6 nations back in '07 and managed a few triple crowns and a grand slam during his Irish career. Made a few appearances for the Lions (Loins) as well. I know this is primarily a football forum, but amongst the rugby die hards here, I thought his career & forthcoming retirement might have been worthy of a post or 2 of appreciation. Seems not. 

Ya would nearly (nearly) think we didn't care, or some such outlandish notion. Here is a (just for LD) copy & paste to The Examiner's Larry Ryan & his views on the Egg CL today, a true fanatic, just like meself. 

From The Examiner; 

Rugby Country gripped by showpiece?

Selected memories. Forest-Malmo was my first. Heysel, of course. The Steaua-Barca penalties, the two Milan masterclasses. The Ajax young guns. Lars Ricken’s lob against Juve. Working through 1999, only to have the news broken by some kind of makeshift version of the internet that skipped from 1-0 to 1-2. George Hamilton’s magic carpet in Istanbul, JT’s tears. JT’s shinpads.

Ever since the final was one of the rare, televised treats in a season, even the non-committed, half-interested will be on board by the time the European showpiece comes round. RTE’s coverage has regularly drawn a million viewers. Even when there’s no obvious allegiance to the finalists, this is a date etched on the calendar.

But forget all that, today is the big one in Rugby Country. It mightn’t be the big one outside Rugby Country. They might be struggling to give away tickets for it. But in Rugby Country, you can feel the buzz. In every home and workplace in the land, they are debating the head-to-heads. Every kid in the playground is Wesley Fofana or Matt Giteau. These are the glamour occasions we will always remember. You can sense the anticipation. Can’t you?

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 12:30pm
Not to be pedanitc and from memory  Darce won player of the tournament on 05 and Lars scored that lob in 97.
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 12:37pm
edit 1997
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 12:43pm
That article didn't say what year Rickens goal was in. The only year that is mentioned was 1999 when he was talking about United v Bayern.

Edited by FrankosHereNow - 03 May 2015 at 12:44pm
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 12:48pm
It's only the Heineken cup, who cares!?! Maybe oval ball fans can just see through the hype
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 9:48am
Matt O'Connor sacked
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:49am
Fully deserved. I know Leinster have lost a lot of good players over the last few years but the overall regression in basic ability under his charge has been frightening.

Here's the list of potential replacements from Betfair:

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:57am
Jackman or Dempsey if they go down the Irish route. Woodward would be an interesting choice if they go for a non Irish candidate
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

kevjreilly View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjreilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 11:10am
O' Shea be great but cant see it as he is probably going to get Italy job.

How long has Jackman been at the French side, might be a bit too soon?
Read it 3 times before posting
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 11:15am
Wouldn't rule out O'Shea. Would be a stepping stone for the Ireland job IMO if he wants it down the line

Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 11:25am
His reign of terror ends.

Can't see why Eddie O'Sullivan is favourite. He didn't even get an interview for the Connaught job. I think it will be an internal appointment or a former Leinster goy.

An outsider could be Robbie Deans (Who just happens to be in Ireland this month with the Barbarians)
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 1:13pm
Sir Clive👏👏
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Declanus View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 1:22pm
Would love to see Bernard Jackman as head coach. Might be a bit soon for him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 470>
  Share Topic