Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland's penalty takers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

I think the skill involved in a long distance free kick is a lot more than a penalty though. Every professional footballer should be able to pick a side of a goal from 12 yards and hit it there repeatedly, when it comes down to the pressure of a big penalty their mindset completely changes and they panic. The best penalty takers are those who can ignore that nervousness. In other words the best penalty takers are the cockiest lads on the team!

Like David Connolly circa 2002 maybe...........

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sponsored Links

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:04pm
It doesn't matter how good/bad you are at penos previously, a peno shoot-out is a total fookin lottery.  The history of the game is littered with great players who've missed crucial penos and donkeys who've scored em.  You just pray it's your team's turn to win one.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:05pm

I think the skill involved in a long distance free kick is a lot more than a penalty though. Every professional footballer should be able to pick a side of a goal from 12 yards and hit it there repeatedly, when it comes down to the pressure of a big penalty their mindset completely changes and they panic. The best penalty takers are those who can ignore that nervousness. In other words the best penalty takers are the cockiest lads on the team!

max, answer the german situation so. 

The put scienc behind it, wherase  the english thought it was down to luck. Who has the much better record in shootouts. 

The german record is unreal.  I cant believe that there is still people out there who think that its down to whoever feels right on the day. 

The goalkeeprs who do well are the ones who research the potential takers, and their run ups.  The penalty takers who do well consistantly and not on one offs but who do consistantly well are the ones who practice practice practice. If yoe done something lots and lots of times, you will be more comfortable doing it at a pressured situation.  It relaxes you, by the simple fact that you know you are good at it and you have put the work in. Not to mention the muscle memory that builds up. 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:10pm
http://keeper-skool.com/statistical-analysis-of-penalty-shoot-outs

look at germanys stats compared to englands
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:11pm
The Germans are the exception to the rule. LOL
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:14pm

If you are confident in your penalty taking ability, you will be less nervous for the big occasion. Not practicing penalties is just lazy.

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Ive been saying it for years but ill say it again. Why aren't penos taken at the end of friendly draws? Great practice opportunity.

Im always banging on about this. They should be included even for the entertainment factor.

Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Sure gOlfers might as well not practice either as u can't recreate pressure of a mastery or snooker players or tennis player. Sure why bother bloody training so.

Total tosh and I think any manager who does not get his players to practice should be sacked. Talk about old school rubbish. Germans practice penos like mad and look at their record. But ahh sure it's a lottery.

I think there's a small bit more amount of skill in the type of golf shots and snooker shots you would find a pro practising. If you are a professional footballer you know whether you can take a penalty well or not and whether you'd have the confidence to step up and do it. It is very very easy to take a penalty, any pro can do it. It's whether they can do it under pressure or not. And I suppose you could say the same for some pro's in other sports. They can practise the easy shots all the like but when it comes down to it they haven't the bottle and may never win a major tournament because of it. That's why in football your lucky you have 10 others around u hopefully with 5 others who just may be better off standing up to the plate.

Its been proven that the pressure matters less the more you practice.  So if it comes to  a really pressurised situation who is more likely to bottle it, the person who has practised time and time again or the person who just fancies it that day.  It will on average be the first person all the  time.

The stats for Germany confirm this. They do their homework, both as goalkeepers and as penalty takers. Look at their stats in peno shootouts, it is staggering. If it was the lottery that so many old school managers try to sugget it is, it would break every sort of probability mathematical theory. 

disagree, penos are 90% in the head, remember ian harte v spain?

Robbie v slovakia away also.

The germans win peno shoot outs because they have great mental strength and temperament.

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:25pm
Matty Le Tiss was THE penalty king, but Citizen never rated Fat Matt.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Matty Le Tiss was THE penalty king, but Citizen never rated Fat Matt.
LOL
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:22pm
And I'm sure Matt Le Tissier never practiced penalties..... ffs, of course he did.

You can't practice extra time either and it is full of pressure, but you can practice football and hope it goes according to plan!
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 5:53am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

In other words the best penalty takers are the cockiest lads on the team!
Like David Connolly circa 2002 maybe...........

Indeed. I remember thinking, we'll should get one here, but alas.
Or Roberto Baggio in USA '94, who is famous the world over for missing a kick to win a world cup, despite going into that tournament as world player of the year.

Look, of course practicing penalties has to be of some help and logic tells me that the people who take the best penalties in training should be the best at it, but logic seems to go right out the window when it comes down to the pressure cauldron at the end of a game.

I'd love to know what it is the Germans have, but they certainly have it nailed better than most other countries.

Would it be in our favour to be at home should this game go to penalties?
Does being the home team, statistically confer any advantage?

Edited by Stoked Up - 03 Nov 2011 at 5:56am
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 6:38am

whether it is a good thing having it home or away depends on the person as well, i don't see the point in tossing a coin for which end to have the shoot-out at other than ground surface (Portugal v England 04). Seeing a crowd of your own fans who can't bear to watch would make you more nervous I think

I'd prefer to take one away from home, i would thrive on the entire ground wanting me to miss Wink
el2nz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el2nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 7:08am
The first up for me would be Liam Lawrence. I'd ensure he'd be on the pitch for the shootout.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 8:18am
Is anybody out there really expecting this to go to penalties??? I would think that in two legged games were away goals count, penalty shootouts are rare. In one off games in tournaments they common enough. Thinking back over recent seasons in the Champions League knockout, the only tie I can think of that went to peno's in Liverpool V Chelsea in the '07 semi's.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
domo View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 8:30am

No way 1-0 out there Keane with the goal  and a boring 0-0 draw in Dublin will get is over the line.

Shake and Bake
Jonny2Times View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny2Times Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 9:08am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Is anybody out there really expecting this to go to penalties??? I would think that in two legged games were away goals count, penalty shootouts are rare. In one off games in tournaments they common enough. Thinking back over recent seasons in the Champions League knockout, the only tie I can think of that went to peno's in Liverpool V Chelsea in the '07 semi's.

i agree... can´t see this going to pennos....

Edited by Jonny2Times - 03 Nov 2011 at 9:10am
I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Jonny2Times Jonny2Times wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

eh United v Chelsea in the 2008 final....

But i agree... can´t see this going to pennos....
That was a one off game dude. I'm reffering to two legged games were away goals count.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 9:13am
Originally posted by domo domo wrote:

No way 1-0 out there Keane with the goal  and a boring 0-0 draw in Dublin will get is over the line.

those are the scorelines i will be backing or else 1-1 in dublin and 1-0 to us away , lots of new pairs of jocks needed if we are chasing the winner in landsdowne with 10 mins to go....

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic