Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=33747
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 2:48pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ireland's penalty takers
Posted By: rolo
Subject: Ireland's penalty takers
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:21pm
In the event of a penalty shootout, we need 5 good penalty takers to ensure there is no repeat of the weak efforts against Spain.

If all players were free from injury I think our best 5 would be in this order:

1. Shane Long
2. Stephen Hunt
3. Jon Walters
4. Keith Fahey
5. Robbie Keane or Kevin Doyle (both a bit ropey).

With Long probably out, you'd be looking at both Doyle and Keane taking one.

Who else is there? Do Whelan or Andrews take a penalty ever?

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Replies:
Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:25pm
Andrews has hit a few if i'm not mistaken

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:26pm
I'd fancy Whelan taking one... Would be very
nervous if I saw Hunt going up...

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:27pm
Would have confidence in everyone bar our defenders and McGeady.

Posted By: David McWilliams
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:28pm
Keane has a quality record from the spot, the jury's still out on Doyle

Posted By: Mr.Mojo Risin'
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:28pm

McGeady? I know he scored one in the last minute of a game last season to win the game so that shows he can hold his nerve. Cox maybe? I don't think Doyle is the best at them either.

1. Hunt
2. Walters
3. Keane
4. McGeady
5. Fahey
6. Long
7. Cox

They're the players I'd consider.

-------------
Ahh heya!

Posted By: Cormakazam
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:29pm
Liam Lawrence takes them for Pompey.

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

Would have confidence in everyone bar our defenders and McGeady.

Would have no confidence in Duff. He doesnt fancy taking them at all.

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:34pm
Wouldn't have McGeady or Duff near a peno.

You have to take into perspective who'd be on the pitch too. There's no way in hell. Keane, Doyle, Long and Walters will be on the pitch at the same time.

1. Jon Walters up first anyway. Takes a brilliant peno.
2. Hunt
3. Dunne. (Put your foot through it son)
4. Keane
5. Whelan

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

Confused, hunt is a great peno taker, slotted one home at eastlands at the weekend, not a bother on him.

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:37pm

Penalties are a strange one, it can come down to holding your nerve as much as technique (which probably explains why Hunt takes them at Wolves, even though I don't think he is a clean striker of the ball, unlike, say, Fahey.

As regards that list Rolo, you are making the assumption Long, Walters and Keane/Doyle would be on the pitch at the time, a very unlikely scenario, there would likely be only 2 of the 5 strikers in the squad on at that stage.  Of those, I think Keane and Walters would be the best bets, Doyler isn't the cleanest striker of the ball.

Fahey would be a certainty, and I think both Whelan and Andrews are good strikers of the ball as well, but the same thing applies, it is unlikely all 3 would be on at the end of 120 mins. Hunty probably would be in line for one of them alright.

Actually, yer after making me nervous now, I have visions of McGeady blazing one over the bar......

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:37pm

Get the worst/least confident of the 5 up first then the best up second. If the first guy misses there is more time to turn it around plus with the best taker going 2nd it would be most likely only 2-1 down. If you miss the first two your fecked.

I dont know the stats but i heard before that Shay Given surprisingly has a poor peno save rate.

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Get the worst/least confident of the 5 up first then the best up second. If the first guy misses there is more time to turn it around plus with the best taker going 2nd it would be most likely only 2-1 down. If you miss the first two your fecked.

I dont know the stats but i heard before that Shay Given surprisingly has a poor peno save rate.

yep, saved fook all penos

-------------

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Wouldn't have McGeady or Duff near a peno.

You have to take into perspective who'd be on the pitch too. There's no way in hell. Keane, Doyle, Long and Walters will be on the pitch at the same time.

1. Jon Walters up first anyway. Takes a brilliant peno.
2. Hunt
3. Dunne. (Put your foot through it son)
4. Keane
5. Whelan

There's alot to be said for bringing on a sub in the last 30 seconds of injury time. I remember Alex Ferguson sending on Anderson for the last 10 seconds of the 2008 Champions League final and he did the business for him in the shoot-out.

-------------

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:45pm
Was just thinking the same thing rolo if we are looking at a penalty shoot out stick walters on in injury time with the penalties in mind

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:46pm
after doyles attempt of a peno against blackburn I wouldnt let him anywhere need a penelty!

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:47pm
Andrews was the penalty taker for MK Dons when he was there

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:51pm
Wats westwood record 4 penoes?

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 4:49am
1. Walters
2. Fahey
3. Andrews
4. Ward
5. Keane

If Cox was on the pitch I'd fancy him to take one also. The above list is semi-realistic though in terms of who is quite likely to be on the pitch at that time.

Posted By: John W
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:13am
I dont think Keane will be able for 120 mins on Tuesday, so I have factored him out.

1. Fahey
2. Hunt
3. Walters
4. Whelan
5. Andrews
6. Doyle
7. Ward

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:16am
Stephen Hunt takes agood penalty too

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:42am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Confused, hunt is a great peno taker, slotted one home at eastlands at the weekend, not a bother on him.

Fair point but I don't trust left footed penalty takers when the real pressure is on.
The right side of the brain can't handle it.
I like Hunt a lot though and he is a confident maverick so hopefully he would slot it home.

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:01am
Left footed penalty takers. Thumbs Down

I'm aware I have Ward in my list - but that's more due to his background as a striker!

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:21am
Remember Dave O'Leary took one!

You'd be surprised at who has the bottle to take penos.
Even in junior football, I see lads who would normally be excellent strikers of the ball, find their feet stuck in the ground and their brains fried.

I'd go with; 
Walters
Keane
Hunt
Whelan
Given

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:26am
People are writing McGeady off but I'd say he's the most confident player in the team! I'd definitely have him taking one. You also have to think about who'd still be on the pitch after 120 mins and I doubt whether either Keane and Duff will. Just guessing here but I would reckon he will substitute Duffer, Keane and either Andrews or Whelan at some stage so I'd go:

1. McGeady
2. Walters
3. Hunt
4. Doyle
5. Fahey

But its all pointless talk, we're not gonna need peno's Cool

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Posted By: AidoM
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:29am
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

People are writing McGeady off but I'd say he's the most confident player in the team! I'd definitely have him taking one. You also have to think about who'd still be on the pitch after 120 mins and I doubt whether either Keane and Duff will. Just guessing here but I would reckon he will substitute Duffer, Keane and either Andrews or Whelan at some stage so I'd go:

1. McGeady
2. Walters
3. Hunt
4. Doyle
5. Fahey

But its all pointless talk, we're not gonna need peno's Cool

Jaysus I hope not cos if we do I'll be chewing the beta blockers Ouch

-------------
But what they do have and no-one can deny this now, they have the finest collection of boilers in the world! And I include Canada in that!

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:52am
1. Keane
2. Whelan
3. Hunt
4. Long
5. McGeady

Posted By: magnumpi
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:05am
Walters penalty against Newcastle was poor.  If Krul had stayed on his feet (as should all keepers) he would have saved it.

Still, I reckon he's the kind of guy who would keep his nerve.

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:07am
surprised very few people have mentioned richard dunne i would say he wouldnt mind hitting one if called upon 

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:14am
Originally posted by magnumpi magnumpi wrote:

Walters penalty against Newcastle was poor.  If Krul had stayed on his feet (as should all keepers) he would have saved it.

The next keeper to face a Walters peno should stay on his spot. Have seen him take two penalties this season and both were thunderbolts down the middle

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:48am
1. Keane
2. McGeady
3. Hunt
4. Whelan
5. Andrews

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Posted By: devondudley
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:15am
Going from who I would think would be on the pitch after 120 mins
1/keane
2/hunt
3/whelan
4/st ledger
5/cox

-------------
But fumble in a greasy till

And add the halfpence to the pence

And pray to shivering prayer, until

You have dried the marrow from the bone.

W. B. Yeats, September 1913

Posted By: John W
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:17am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

The next keeper to face a Walters peno should stay on his spot. Have seen him take two penalties this season and both were thunderbolts down the middle
It is very hard for a keeper to stay on his feet for a pen and even at that Walters could smash it in either side of the keeper and make him look foolish. Id have great faith in his penalty style Id much prefer him to put his foot thru the ball than a pass back that the keeper just has to flop to save.

Posted By: Trapcandoit
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:04am
1. Hunt
2. Keane
3. Gibson (Don't slate meBig smile)
4. Long
5. Doyle

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Anyone see Hunt take one at h/t in the Armenia game, no keeper in goal???LOL

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Jonny2Times
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Trapcandoit Trapcandoit wrote:

1. Hunt
2. Keane
3. Gibson (Don't slate meBig smile)
4. Long
5. Doyle

don´t think Long, Keane and Doyle are gonna be on the pitch together after 120 minutes.

-------------
I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 9:56am
Good point Jonny.

I'd rather the team worked on tactics than practising penos though

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 10:04am

if krul had of stayed on his feet he would have been picking his teeth up of the ground, he is probably glad he didn't save it.....great peno!

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 10:14am
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

if krul had of stayed on his feet he would have been picking his teeth up of the ground, he is probably glad he didn't save it.....great peno!
LOLLOL

-------------
I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 10:55am
Am I the only one that thinks Shay would take a decent peno?

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 2:01pm
You're right Stoked... I reckon he'd have the technique
And cool head to score one

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 2:20pm
Ive been saying it for years but ill say it again. Why aren't penos taken at the end of friendly draws? Great practice opportunity.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 2:22pm
Keano is our best peno taker

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Ive been saying it for years but ill say it again. Why aren't penos taken at the end of friendly draws? Great practice opportunity.

Taking a peno in a friendly game would be very different than a pressure penalty though and you can have the best peno taker in the world who just cant take the pressure so I'm not sure, although in saying that there would be no harm for a bit of excitement. Its the same with practising penos in training, not gonna make a huge amount of difference when the surroundings and atmopshere is so different when it comes down to the kick.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 2:47pm

Taking a peno in a friendly game would be very different than a pressure penalty though and you can have the best peno taker in the world who just cant take the pressure so I'm not sure, although in saying that there would be no harm for a bit of excitement. Its the same with practising penos in training, not gonna make a huge amount of difference when the surroundings and atmopshere is so different when it comes down to the kick.

Max you are never going to recreate the pressures in a proper meaningful shoot out but at least there would be incentive to make sure you score.

That's my point.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 2:57pm
Sure gOlfers might as well not practice either as u can't recreate pressure of a mastery or snooker players or tennis player. Sure why bother bloody training so.

Total tosh and I think any manager who does not get his players to practice should be sacked. Talk about old school rubbish. Germans practice penos like mad and look at their record. But ahh sure it's a lottery.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Total tosh and I think any manager who does not get his players to practice should be sacked. Talk about old school rubbish. Germans practice penos like mad and look at their record. But ahh sure it's a lottery.

What are you talking about? Confused

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 3:05pm
As in people saying there is no point in practising penalities. A lot of the old school managers don't believe in practising. You here it on tv all the time from Ron manager types. Big Mick was a fan if this c rap

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 3:27pm

Sure gOlfers might as well not practice either as u can't recreate pressure of a mastery or snooker players or tennis player. Sure why bother bloody training so.

I think there's a small bit more amount of skill in the type of golf shots and snooker shots you would find a pro practising. If you are a professional footballer you know whether you can take a penalty well or not and whether you'd have the confidence to step up and do it. It is very very easy to take a penalty, any pro can do it. It's whether they can do it under pressure or not. And I suppose you could say the same for some pro's in other sports. They can practise the easy shots all the like but when it comes down to it they haven't the bottle and may never win a major tournament because of it. That's why in football your lucky you have 10 others around u hopefully with 5 others who just may be better off standing up to the plate.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 4:40pm

Well said.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 4:49pm

I think there's a small bit more amount of skill in the type of golf shots and snooker shots you would find a pro practising. If you are a professional footballer you know whether you can take a penalty well or not and whether you'd have the confidence to step up and do it. It is very very easy to take a penalty, any pro can do it. It's whether they can do it under pressure or not. And I suppose you could say the same for some pro's in other sports. They can practise the easy shots all the like but when it comes down to it they haven't the bottle and may never win a major tournament because of it. That's why in football your lucky you have 10 others around u hopefully with 5 others who just may be better off standing up to the plate.

Its been proven that the pressure matters less the more you practice.  So if it comes to  a really pressurised situation who is more likely to bottle it, the person who has practised time and time again or the person who just fancies it that day.  It will on average be the first person all the  time.

The stats for Germany confirm this. They do their homework, both as goalkeepers and as penalty takers. Look at their stats in peno shootouts, it is staggering. If it was the lottery that so many old school managers try to sugget it is, it would break every sort of probability mathematical theory. 

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:22pm
Would agree with Baldrick on this, practice simply has to increase your chances of scoring. Does anyone think the likes of Beckham, Mijhialovic, the Lyon Juninho, C Ronaldo and those kind of specialist long distance free takers are just generally lucky ? Cant say about the other 2, but it is well known that during their respective days at Man U, Ronaldo and Beckham both used stay back after training and practice long distance frees from all angles. I accept that the pressure can't be recreated, but if the technique is at least right, then your chances increase.

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:24pm
Get Dave O' Leary to take the 5 of them

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:30pm
I think the skill involved in a long distance free kick is a lot more than a penalty though. Every professional footballer should be able to pick a side of a goal from 12 yards and hit it there repeatedly, when it comes down to the pressure of a big penalty their mindset completely changes and they panic. The best penalty takers are those who can ignore that nervousness. In other words the best penalty takers are the cockiest lads on the team!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:58pm

I think the skill involved in a long distance free kick is a lot more than a penalty though. Every professional footballer should be able to pick a side of a goal from 12 yards and hit it there repeatedly, when it comes down to the pressure of a big penalty their mindset completely changes and they panic. The best penalty takers are those who can ignore that nervousness. In other words the best penalty takers are the cockiest lads on the team!

Like David Connolly circa 2002 maybe...........

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:04pm
It doesn't matter how good/bad you are at penos previously, a peno shoot-out is a total fookin lottery.  The history of the game is littered with great players who've missed crucial penos and donkeys who've scored em.  You just pray it's your team's turn to win one.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:05pm

max, answer the german situation so. 

The put scienc behind it, wherase  the english thought it was down to luck. Who has the much better record in shootouts. 

The german record is unreal.  I cant believe that there is still people out there who think that its down to whoever feels right on the day. 

The goalkeeprs who do well are the ones who research the potential takers, and their run ups.  The penalty takers who do well consistantly and not on one offs but who do consistantly well are the ones who practice practice practice. If yoe done something lots and lots of times, you will be more comfortable doing it at a pressured situation.  It relaxes you, by the simple fact that you know you are good at it and you have put the work in. Not to mention the muscle memory that builds up. 

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:10pm
http://keeper-skool.com/statistical-analysis-of-penalty-shoot-outs - http://keeper-skool.com/statistical-analysis-of-penalty-shoot-outs

look at germanys stats compared to englands

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:11pm
The Germans are the exception to the rule. LOL

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:14pm

If you are confident in your penalty taking ability, you will be less nervous for the big occasion. Not practicing penalties is just lazy.

Im always banging on about this. They should be included even for the entertainment factor.

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:23pm

Its been proven that the pressure matters less the more you practice.  So if it comes to  a really pressurised situation who is more likely to bottle it, the person who has practised time and time again or the person who just fancies it that day.  It will on average be the first person all the  time.

The stats for Germany confirm this. They do their homework, both as goalkeepers and as penalty takers. Look at their stats in peno shootouts, it is staggering. If it was the lottery that so many old school managers try to sugget it is, it would break every sort of probability mathematical theory. 

disagree, penos are 90% in the head, remember ian harte v spain?

Robbie v slovakia away also.

The germans win peno shoot outs because they have great mental strength and temperament.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:25pm
Matty Le Tiss was THE penalty king, but Citizen never rated Fat Matt.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Matty Le Tiss was THE penalty king, but Citizen never rated Fat Matt.
LOL

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:22pm
And I'm sure Matt Le Tissier never practiced penalties..... ffs, of course he did.

You can't practice extra time either and it is full of pressure, but you can practice football and hope it goes according to plan!

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 5:53am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

In other words the best penalty takers are the cockiest lads on the team!
Like David Connolly circa 2002 maybe...........

Indeed. I remember thinking, we'll should get one here, but alas.
Or Roberto Baggio in USA '94, who is famous the world over for missing a kick to win a world cup, despite going into that tournament as world player of the year.

Look, of course practicing penalties has to be of some help and logic tells me that the people who take the best penalties in training should be the best at it, but logic seems to go right out the window when it comes down to the pressure cauldron at the end of a game.

I'd love to know what it is the Germans have, but they certainly have it nailed better than most other countries.

Would it be in our favour to be at home should this game go to penalties?
Does being the home team, statistically confer any advantage?

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 6:38am

whether it is a good thing having it home or away depends on the person as well, i don't see the point in tossing a coin for which end to have the shoot-out at other than ground surface (Portugal v England 04). Seeing a crowd of your own fans who can't bear to watch would make you more nervous I think

I'd prefer to take one away from home, i would thrive on the entire ground wanting me to miss Wink

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Posted By: el2nz
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 7:08am
The first up for me would be Liam Lawrence. I'd ensure he'd be on the pitch for the shootout.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 8:18am
Is anybody out there really expecting this to go to penalties??? I would think that in two legged games were away goals count, penalty shootouts are rare. In one off games in tournaments they common enough. Thinking back over recent seasons in the Champions League knockout, the only tie I can think of that went to peno's in Liverpool V Chelsea in the '07 semi's.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: domo
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 8:30am

No way 1-0 out there Keane with the goal  and a boring 0-0 draw in Dublin will get is over the line.

-------------
Shake and Bake

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 9:08am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Is anybody out there really expecting this to go to penalties??? I would think that in two legged games were away goals count, penalty shootouts are rare. In one off games in tournaments they common enough. Thinking back over recent seasons in the Champions League knockout, the only tie I can think of that went to peno's in Liverpool V Chelsea in the '07 semi's.

i agree... can´t see this going to pennos....

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Jonny2Times Jonny2Times wrote:

eh United v Chelsea in the 2008 final....

But i agree... can´t see this going to pennos....
That was a one off game dude. I'm reffering to two legged games were away goals count.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 9:13am
Originally posted by domo domo wrote:

No way 1-0 out there Keane with the goal  and a boring 0-0 draw in Dublin will get is over the line.

those are the scorelines i will be backing or else 1-1 in dublin and 1-0 to us away , lots of new pairs of jocks needed if we are chasing the winner in landsdowne with 10 mins to go....

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 9:18am

Originally posted by Jonny2Times Jonny2Times wrote:

eh United v Chelsea in the 2008 final....

But i agree... can´t see this going to pennos....
That was a one off game dude. I'm reffering to two legged games were away goals count.
Embarrassed yeah i realised that after i sent it....

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 10:43am
Had a look at a few McGeady videos on youtube and I've revised my opinion. I'd back him to score from the spot.

With Shane Long out, in the event of a penalty shootout:

1. Stephen Hunt
2. Jon Walters
3. Keith Fahey
4. Aiden McGeady
5. Robbie Keane

If at least 4 of these players are on the pitch at the end of 120 mins, we could be ok.
Win the toss, opt to shoot into the south stand, and let Estonia go first.

Sudden Death: 

Cox ???
Whelan,
Andrews
Kevin Doyle (ropey).

-------------

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 1:35am
Cool peno from Keano last night. Cool

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Absolutely Use
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 4:12am
Don't think 5 people will be needed this time round

-------------
Say nothing till you hear more

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 9:45pm
If the playoff goes to penalties, just looking at who would take them. 

1. Jon Walters (if fit)
2. Robbie Brady
3. Shane Long
4. Seanie Maguire
5. Daryl Murphy (??)
6. James McClean (scored one v Slovakia last year but only just)

If Walters is fit, it's probably not likely that himself Long and Murphy will be on the pitch at the same time.

I'd say Maguire would be brought on to take one, or should be. Has scored 12 penalties in LOI, and 1 for Ireland U21s, and has missed 2. 

Maybe Hendrick next, or Arter, followed by Meyler. 

I think Arter takes the odd penalty, certainly blasted one miles over the bar for Bournemouth a while back. Not sure about Hendrick or Meyler. 

-------------

Posted By: TioPepe
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

1. Jon Walters (if fit)
2. Robbie Brady
3. Shane Long
4. Seanie Maguire
5. Daryl Murphy (??)

If Walters is fit, it's probably not likely that himself Long and Murphy will be on the pitch at the same time.

I'd say Maguire would be brought on to take one, or should be. Has scored 12 penalties in LOI, and 1 for Ireland U21s, and has missed 2. 

I think Arter takes the odd penalty, certainly blasted one miles over the bar for Bournemouth a while back. Not sure about Hendrick or Meyler. 

Maguire? Confused

Arter would be well up that list in the top 3, considering he would be the best striker of a ball we have in the team in terms of power. 

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by TioPepe TioPepe wrote:

1. Jon Walters (if fit)
2. Robbie Brady
3. Shane Long
4. Seanie Maguire
5. Daryl Murphy (??)

Maguire? Confused

Arter would be well up that list in the top 3, considering he would be the best striker of a ball we have in the team in terms of power. 

I'd have him ahead of Arter. I've only based it on the stats I posted to support the argument.

I think we could do a lot worse than have him take one. 

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 10:36pm

1. Jon Walters (if fit)
2. Robbie Brady
3. Shane Long
4. Seanie Maguire
5. Daryl Murphy (??)

Maguire? Confused

what has power got to do with taking a penalty?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: TioPepe
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

1. Jon Walters (if fit)
2. Robbie Brady
3. Shane Long
4. Seanie Maguire
5. Daryl Murphy (??)

Maguire? Confused

what has power got to do with taking a penalty?

A lot.. Tongue

Posted By: DonkeyOatey
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 11:22pm
Just need someone to post FIFA18 penalty taking ratings, that will end the argument!

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 11:35pm
Daryl Murphy 77
Jon Walters 74
Shane Long 72
Robbie Brady 72
Harry Arter 68
Sean Maguire 66
James McClean 65
Jeff Hendrick 63
David Meyler 58

-------------

Posted By: DonkeyOatey
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Daryl Murphy 77
Jon Walters 74
Shane Long 72
Robbie Brady 72
Harry Arter 68
Sean Maguire 66
James McClean 65
Jeff Hendrick 63
David Meyler 58
consider it settled

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 11:38pm
Brady is probably our best penalty taker. Long and Murphy are both decent. Walters can hit a good penalty but he's very predictable unfortunately.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 11:46pm
Stephen Ward could probably take a decent pen. He was a striker in his younger days.

Some fullbacks tend to be decent penalty takers. Irwin and Harte scored plenty for us. Finnan scored a beaut against Spain in the World Cup.

I reckon Ward would put his hand up to take one.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:03am
Meyler has taken a few for Hull this year, I would think as captain and the type of character he is, he would be a certainty to be in the first 5. 

If Murphy was a starter, he would be unlikely to be on the pitch after 120 minutes. 

McClean would want to take one too, it would be top corner or row Z. 

Brady a definite. 

Maguire or Hogan, if one of them was there, would probably take one. 

Long, with the form he is in, I wouldn't even bet on him hitting the ball, never mind the net. 

Wes, if he was on the pitch, would be in there somewhere too. 

Wonder would Randolph fancy one ?? Something like this would do...............
https://youtu.be/SSMi02ghN3s" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/SSMi02ghN3s

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:07am
Hoolahan has a weak shot. I'm not sure it would even reach the line

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:08am
Once it's not Ian Harte with Kilbane following up the rebound we should be alright.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:09am
Yeah Ward would take one I’d say..

Ward
Brady
Walters
Meyler
McClean - he shouldn’t get near one if you ask me but he would rip the head off someone to take one.

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:10am
Gibson should take one. I am always hearing he has penalty points

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:11am
Eh, lads, isn't Walters out of the playoffs ? Why is he appearing in so many lists ? He might not be out for definite, but at the moment, it looks very unlikely he will be available. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:13am
Deise , I think most view the thread as a general one and not just for the play off i.e if every player was fit who would take them.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:25am
I think the way we play Babbs, there might not be a load of goals in any playoff, and pens are a realistic possibility to decide one. The next time after that it might come up in in the WC 2nd round, and right now, I don't think that's something to worry about too much, which is why I wouldn't be including Walters on any lists. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:46am
sorry yeah I intended it for the playoffs. As I thought of it I remembered Id started one before for Bosnia, searched but found it was actually the Estonia playoff 6 years ago.

So yeah its a list of 5 takers plus sudden death takers for a shootout. 

I included Walters as I thought Dyche's comments on Friday gave some hope.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:47am

I think the way we play Babbs, there might not be a load of goals in any playoff, and pens are a realistic possibility to decide one. The next time after that it might come up in in the WC 2nd round, and right now, I don't think that's something to worry about too much, which is why I wouldn't be including Walters on any lists. 

True

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Once it's not Ian Harte with Kilbane following up the rebound we should be alright.

LOL

That Kilbane effort. Oh dear. Bad memories.

Still remember the commentary.

George Hamilton: "he didnt make it! and the follow up goes wide..."
Jim Beglin "Oh George, Kevin Kilbane's was so easy."

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:51am

Eh, lads, isn't Walters out of the playoffs ? Why is he appearing in so many lists ? He might not be out for definite, but at the moment, it looks very unlikely he will be available. 

Dyche said there's a possibility he could be back

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:32am

LOL

I can still picture the Spanish keeper on the ground and Kilbane with ages to react and the whole goal to aim at sending it wide

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:00am

LOL

I can still picture the Spanish keeper on the ground and Kilbane with ages to react and the whole goal to aim at sending it wide
All these years later, I still can't make up my mind which was worse - the feeble penalty kick itself by Harte or the shanked follow-up 'effort' from Kilbane (the sort of thing you would expect to see at the local park. Cry

I remember watching it at home that day and my dad walked out of the sitting room before the penalty was taken between nerves and lack of confidence in Hartey.  Can't blame him tbh.

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net