You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New FIFA rankings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 84>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 9:37am
At the moment they are 13th in UEFA rankings and if the 2nd place teams stayed the way they are then they wouldn't be. Portugal, Wales, Italy and Slovakia are ahead of them in the rankings. But if we finish 2nd and the other groups stayed the same then they would be the 4th highest ranked team. They're a place ahead of Iceland and Sweden respectively so that could change depending on their results
Sponsored Links

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 9:49am
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

I wonder could the nordies be seeded for the playoffs now

Current 2nd placed teams and their world rankings (excluding Wales who currently have the worst record of the 2nd place teams):

Portugal             3
Italy                 17
Slovakia           19
N. Ireland         20
Iceland             22
Sweden            23 
Bosnia              36
Montenegro      37

Top 4 teams are seeded so yep, Norn Iron would indeed be seeded atm. Shocked

Only thing is, their last 2 games are against Germany and Norway, which they could well lose ranking points in if Germany while Iceland who are just 2 places below could well gain points from their last games. A lot could change which could see N. Ireland lose their seeding next month.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:01am
there looking good for qualification now if you ask me
Come on Irelind
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 11:25am
If seeded we should look to be separated in the draw. Imagine a second leg play off in Windsor.
Both sets of fans great record would be damaged
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

If seeded we should look to be separated in the draw. Imagine a second leg play off in Windsor.
That's exactly the draw I'd be keen to avoid and not just because of the busman's holiday element for me and no doubt a good few others on here (I work in Belfast so it wouldn't exactly feel like much of an away trip) LOL 

Even though I've been told by various people that the atmosphere at Windsor Park is much better nowadays, I think we all know rightly that a match like that could just bring out that old tribal sectarian mentality all over again. Ouch

Edited by ConorMac77 - 15 Sep 2017 at 12:04pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 12:37pm
I've been to Windsor recently and the atmosphere is excellent and a great mix of family friendly and the non-stop chanting. It's a small enough ground that one end really gets the whole stadium rocking.

However I'd be wary if we drew eachother and I know plenty of NI lads that are die-hard supporters that would be fearful enough of some trouble. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I've been to Windsor recently and the atmosphere is excellent and a great mix of family friendly and the non-stop chanting. It's a small enough ground that one end really gets the whole stadium rocking.
This.

However I'd be wary if we drew eachother and I know plenty of NI lads that are die-hard supporters that would be fearful enough of some trouble. 
And this.

The way things are normally, the NI fans are mostly "self-policing". But just as the Neil Lennon/Celtic business brought a number of scumbags out from the woodwork - for one game only* - then an ROI game would do the same. And that new element emboldens those existing fans who might be prompted to join in when the drinks in and they think they have the numbers etc.

So unless something changes drastically, I hope we never play each other again (nothing personal, btw)

But it's probably all academic, since we're odds-against being seeded and you're odds-against finishing second/making the P/O's.

* - Linfield/Rangers fans who wouldn't support a team which plays in fenian colours etc.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

LOL
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Grubar View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

This.

However I'd be wary if we drew
eachother and I know plenty of NI lads that are die-hard supporters that
would be fearful enough of some trouble. 
And this.

The way things are normally, the NI fans are mostly "self-policing". But just as the Neil Lennon/Celtic business brought a number of scumbags out from the woodwork - for one game only* - then an ROI game would do the same. And that new element emboldens those existing fans who might be prompted to join in when the drinks in and they think they have the numbers etc.

So unless something changes drastically, I hope we never play each other again (nothing personal, btw)

But it's probably all academic, since we're odds-against being seeded and you're odds-against finishing second/making the P/O's.

* - Linfield/Rangers fans who wouldn't support a team which plays in fenian colours etc.
    So that's why there's a lot of trouble between L'field and Glentoran....because Glentoran wear green? Never knew that....!Silly me...I thought it was because they were just a bunch of yobs!
Grubar View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 12:26am
https://youtu.be/q3ZgfdQeBjs

Edited by Grubar - 16 Sep 2017 at 12:29am
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 10:04am
October FIFA rankings.
We are currently 34th....2 wins in October could take us up to 23rd.

*2 wins for Norn Iron (admittedly difficult games away to Germany and Norway) could see them up to No.6 in the world, and a top seed for the World Cup draw itself.

2 wins for Wales could see them up to No.5 in the world, and also a WC finals top seed.

Obviously a lot of very good teams ranked in the top 20 would need to lose/draw matches in October for these to happen.

Would the FAI mole please advise MON and JD of these facts, so they can at least pretend to be aware of the rankings/seedings scenarios.
Maybe postpone the annual Oman match?
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

October FIFA rankings.
We are currently 34th....2 wins in October could take us up to 23rd.

*2 wins for Norn Iron (admittedly difficult games away to Germany and Norway) could see them up to No.6 in the world, and a top seed for the World Cup draw itself.

2 wins for Wales could see them up to No.5 in the world, and also a WC finals top seed.

Obviously a lot of very good teams ranked in the top 20 would need to lose/draw matches in October for these to happen.

Would the FAI mole please advise MON and JD of these facts, so they can at least pretend to be aware of the rankings/seedings scenarios.
Maybe postpone the annual Oman match?
It really is shameful on the FAI's part that some enthusiasts on here know more about the rankings than our football association.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:52pm
Anyone any idea how far we'll move up the World Rankings after this double header?
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

TioPepe View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Anyone any idea how far we'll move up the World Rankings after this double header?

Aren't Wales like 12th? We'll jump a good few.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by TioPepe TioPepe wrote:

13th Thumbs Up

So definitely worth a good few rankings points.

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:57pm
The results in September will not help though

Edited by colemanY2K - 09 Oct 2017 at 10:57pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
TioPepe View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:57pm

Originally posted by TioPepe TioPepe wrote:

13th Thumbs Up

So definitely worth a good few rankings points.

It turned out to be an ugly number for them this evening Wink
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:32pm
We were 29th in August.
Georgia draw and Serbia loss dropped us to 34th.

But double header wins v Moldova and Wales should see us up to 26th/27th ish

YBIG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 84>
  Share Topic