The Toon Army

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 267>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Every club in the Premier League can afford to do the same.

Your own club spent €194m this season alone.

I dont deny the amounts Brendan. WH absolutely paid massive amounts of money this year. Some on quality, some on dross. I suppose my point is that a player like Chris Wood's value was massively inflated by the identity prospective buyer, whose money comes from a source that is the subject of massive scrutiny and criticism. Don't get me wrong, that's not endorsement of the WH owners. Essentially, my opinion is no other club would have been willing to pay that sort of money for the player. Forrest just happen to be a strange club when it comes to transfers. 
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I'm not doubting that, we needed a striker he was available we paid his release clause. 

He done a job and was subsequently sold for a 5m loss to what we paid a year previously. 

I suppose its nice to have a spare £20 Million to leverage and release when the time comes.

Every club in the Premier League can afford to do the same.

Your own club spent €194m this season alone.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:34pm

I'm not doubting that, we needed a striker he was available we paid his release clause. 

He done a job and was subsequently sold for a 5m loss to what we paid a year previously. 

I suppose its nice to have a spare £20 Million to leverage and release when the time comes.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:33pm

Just to point out Chris Wood signed permanently for Forest for 20m after 5 games so technically Newcastle only spent 5m on him plus whatever wages he was paid.

Either way CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!! 

But not a chance that would have been paid by any club, on Chris Wood, under normal circumstances. Newcastle's pockets were deeper than most to be able to make that transfer, at that time.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:28pm

Just to point out Chris Wood signed permanently for Forest for 20m after 5 games so technically Newcastle only spent 5m on him plus whatever wages he was paid.

But not a chance that would have been paid by any club, on Chris Wood, under normal circumstances. Newcastle's pockets were deeper than most to be able to make that transfer, at that time.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:23pm

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Star
You make some good points and Isak has been fantastic in the games he played in along with Bruno who is world class,Gordon was a strange one but might well work out to be a Howe signing as he is young with potential and can be moulded as opposed to a Robinho type signing.

Chris Wood came when Newcastle were in the relegation zone and were not a very attractive prospect for players and with the takeover fresh, Clubs knew they could charge Newcastle what they wanted but Wood had a release clause in his contract if a bid of 25M came in,He did a job up front holding the ball up and scored a few goals to keep the team in the division but was always going to leave this season with Wilson and Saint Maximin fit and the arrival of Isak.

The fact is Newcastle are in the champions league about 3-4 years ahead of schedule as no one expected Liverpool or Chelsea to be so poor this season and with Spurs you just never know.Considering most of the squad were heading for the championship under Steve Bruce and when a few new players arrive it normally takes a season or two for them to gel.

And I think Eddie Howe is certainly entitled to take a lot of credit for the manner in which this has played out. I do take the point about revitalising flagging players. Jolinton being a particular example. A massive outlay for an unremarkable return, until now when he looks top notch. I think the likes of Nick Pope would have been open to a move regardless of the cash, after Burnley dropped.

I am sure he would left Burnley but he has been a steal at just 10M.

Yer Nick was going when the Clarets dropped down kind of a fire sale as they had to raise £65 million to pay off their debt and he wanted to be with a premier club with the World Cup coming . Now you could say with Newcastle buying Chris Wood was the end for the club but as everyone saw he was past his best and Burnley got £27 million for him so swings and roundabouts really . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Most of the team were going down with Mike Ashley and Steve Bruce last season.

Howe has worked wonders with Wilson, Almiron, Joelinton, Longstaff, Murphy, SaintMaximin, Anderson etc.

Isak came in for 60M but got injured after 2 games and missed half the season.

Defence has been brilliant and the back four and goalkeeper combined cost less than Harry Maguire.

He's done a great job and they've been excellent. The Saudi bankrolling takes away any romance from it. Would have preferred Liverpool to take the place and I'm very far a fan of them

After 14 years of Mike Ashley and every transfer window being a complete letdown listening to Alan Pardew "We just couldn't get the player over the line" while you hope a decent loan signing will help keep you up - Two relegations and watching championship teams outspend Newcastle.

In 2019 Miguel Almiron was signed for a club record 21M and that was a club record that stood for 14 years since Michael Owen signed for 16.8M in 2005 while the likes of Liverpool spend 75M on a defender and 66M on a goalkeeper and United sign a defender for 80M.

So while I don't agree with the Saudi policy I don't really care about the romance of it.

Mike Ashley bled the club dry - Support the team and not the regime.

Just to clarify on this point as it's important for context, the money spent on those players basically came from the money received for Coutinho. There was no bankrolling by people who are on Amnesty Internationals black list.

I like Eddie Howe - Would know somebody who would know him and think he's done a good job this season even if as pointed out above that this has been done anything but on the cheap. 
And the whole premise stinks. 

I am not debating how Liverpool fund their transfers and I think they have been very smart in the market with the likes of Mane,Salah,Firminio etc who were bought at huge transfer fees compared to what Newcastle could afford in the Ashley era but were probably bargains compared to what United and Chelsea spend. 

If you compare the squads of Liverpool and Newcastle at the start of the season there is no way you would predict Newcastle finishing above them so credit goes to Howe and his coaching staff.

So - If the Saudis bought Liverpool in the morning would you completely boycott the club and never support them again ?
Yes, as I have stated on here I would want nothing to do with them. I have a season ticket but would not be going to games if Liverpool were taken over by any person or persons with terrible human rights record looking to use the club as a vehicle for sportswashing. 
I'd miss it massively but it would be a small price to pay compared to those who have lost their lives or been oppressed, tortured etc. 

Fair play - It might happen actually happen with the recent talk of Liverpool and United going up for sale.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:30am

Howe has worked wonders with Wilson, Almiron, Joelinton, Longstaff, Murphy, SaintMaximin, Anderson etc.

Defence has been brilliant and the back four and goalkeeper combined cost less than Harry Maguire.

He's done a great job and they've been excellent. The Saudi bankrolling takes away any romance from it. Would have preferred Liverpool to take the place and I'm very far a fan of them

After 14 years of Mike Ashley and every transfer window being a complete letdown listening to Alan Pardew "We just couldn't get the player over the line" while you hope a decent loan signing will help keep you up - Two relegations and watching championship teams outspend Newcastle.

In 2019 Miguel Almiron was signed for a club record 21M and that was a club record that stood for 14 years since Michael Owen signed for 16.8M in 2005 while the likes of Liverpool spend 75M on a defender and 66M on a goalkeeper and United sign a defender for 80M.

So while I don't agree with the Saudi policy I don't really care about the romance of it.

Just to clarify on this point as it's important for context, the money spent on those players basically came from the money received for Coutinho. There was no bankrolling by people who are on Amnesty Internationals black list.

I like Eddie Howe - Would know somebody who would know him and think he's done a good job this season even if as pointed out above that this has been done anything but on the cheap. 

I am not debating how Liverpool fund their transfers and I think they have been very smart in the market with the likes of Mane,Salah,Firminio etc who were bought at huge transfer fees compared to what Newcastle could afford in the Ashley era but were probably bargains compared to what United and Chelsea spend. 

If you compare the squads of Liverpool and Newcastle at the start of the season there is no way you would predict Newcastle finishing above them so credit goes to Howe and his coaching staff.

So - If the Saudis bought Liverpool in the morning would you completely boycott the club and never support them again ?
Yes, as I have stated on here I would want nothing to do with them. I have a season ticket but would not be going to games if Liverpool were taken over by any person or persons with terrible human rights record looking to use the club as a vehicle for sportswashing. 
I'd miss it massively but it would be a small price to pay compared to those who have lost their lives or been oppressed, tortured etc. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:25am

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:18am

Star
You make some good points and Isak has been fantastic in the games he played in along with Bruno who is world class,Gordon was a strange one but might well work out to be a Howe signing as he is young with potential and can be moulded as opposed to a Robinho type signing.

Chris Wood came when Newcastle were in the relegation zone and were not a very attractive prospect for players and with the takeover fresh, Clubs knew they could charge Newcastle what they wanted but Wood had a release clause in his contract if a bid of 25M came in,He did a job up front holding the ball up and scored a few goals to keep the team in the division but was always going to leave this season with Wilson and Saint Maximin fit and the arrival of Isak.

The fact is Newcastle are in the champions league about 3-4 years ahead of schedule as no one expected Liverpool or Chelsea to be so poor this season and with Spurs you just never know.Considering most of the squad were heading for the championship under Steve Bruce and when a few new players arrive it normally takes a season or two for them to gel.

And I think Eddie Howe is certainly entitled to take a lot of credit for the manner in which this has played out. I do take the point about revitalising flagging players. Jolinton being a particular example. A massive outlay for an unremarkable return, until now when he looks top notch. I think the likes of Nick Pope would have been open to a move regardless of the cash, after Burnley dropped.

I am sure he would left Burnley but he has been a steal at just 10M.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Would you have felt the same had the regime bought Sunderland and not Newcastle ? 

In fairness - If Katie Taylor, Brian O Driscoll and Wes Hoolohan bought Scumderland I would still hate them LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:06am

Star

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

It's great you just have to come with a slogan now to justify your team being used for sportswashing.

"Never mind the dead people, It's Newcastle United"
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:43am
It's great you just have to come with a slogan now to justify your team being used for sportswashing.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:05am

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:01am

I heard fellow 'supporters' telling me that when I was boycotting Irish home matches over John Delaney and the mismanagement of Irish football. Look, Newcastle have had a sh*tty time and I fully understand basking in their success. The passion of the fans is second to none and they deserve their success and moment in the sun. Supporting the team you are supporting the regime though whether you like it or not
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:50am

Would you have felt the same had the regime bought Sunderland and not Newcastle ? 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 267>
  Share Topic