You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guinness drinkers??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Guinness sees off Islands Edge. Heinken announce they are ceasing production.

I noticed in the Olympia a few weeks ago that Murphys was back on tap again. It was Islands Edge the last few times I was there before that. It was tasteless sh*te any time I had it. Heinekens version of Guinness Lite 
Let Christy Take It.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 7:26am
I imagine Forged entering the market and getting a share of the market might also have had an influence 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 8:09am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I imagine Forged entering the market and getting a share of the market might also have had an influence 
Forged? Id that McGregors stout? Haven't seen it anywhere on tap.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 9:40am

I said it when it came out that Heineken should have just paid me €2m at conception stage and I would have told them this doomed to fail and saved them millions. The_Walls tried it one day we were out but bar that never saw anyone drink it.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 9:49am

I got 4 cans of it out of curiosity a few weeks ago. It's unsurprisingly not great. Defo not a patch on Guinness anyway. 
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 9:54am
Tried it once when it was free at its launch. Biggest positive was taking home the pint glass, on the shelf beside my Breo glass Cool
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 9:55am
Is McGregors piss only on tap in his sh*tholes? Or is it widely available 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

I got 4 cans of it out of curiosity a few weeks ago. It's unsurprisingly not great. Defo not a patch on Guinness anyway. 

Had it on tap in The Black Frorge on the one time I was there and liked it. Tried it in cans and not so nice.
Doubt it has taken up much of the stout market. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 10:23am
Nothing will surpass Guinness.

Taste, look, texture, marketing - tops everything else.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 10:43am
Forged is just Porterhouse Stout it's been on the market for years it's not new only a name change, it's doing well because all the Mcgregor fan boys drink it because it's associated with him.

It's a nice stout but nothing on Guinness or other craft brewery efforts.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 10:50am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Forged is just Porterhouse Stout it's been on the market for years it's not new only a name change, it's doing well because all the Mcgregor fan boys drink it because it's associated with him.

It's brewed at the Porterhouse Brewery but it's definitely a different stout from the ones the Porterhouse offer as it taste's noticeably different. 
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 11:47am
Does the nitrosurge thing make cans of Guinness much better?
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 11:49am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Tried it once when it was free at its launch. Biggest positive was taking home the pint glass, on the shelf beside my Breo glass Cool

Was Breo the white Guinness they had for a while? Was it any use? Before my time
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

It's brewed at the Porterhouse Brewery but it's definitely a different stout from the ones the Porterhouse offer as it taste's noticeably different. 

Yes Porterhouse still do their own branded ones, but Forged was always brewed by them and used to be on the market as porterhouse Irish stout or something like that.

Tbh I think they got the money and just put the dregs into forged cans
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I said it when it came out that Heineken should have just paid me €2m at conception stage and I would have told them this doomed to fail and saved them millions. The_Walls tried it one day we were out but bar that never saw anyone drink it.
drink anything that lad
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 12:16pm

drink anything that lad

But seriously, Heineken already have Murphys and Beamish in their stable here. Who thought a new stout was a good financial decision? I get it younger lads seemed to start drinking Guinness during lockdown on the back of things like the Guinness Guru but Islands Edge was never going to be a success.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 12:21pm

drink anything that lad

But seriously, Heineken already have Murphys and Beamish in their stable here. Who thought a new stout was a good financial decision? I get it younger lads seemed to start drinking Guinness during lockdown on the back of things like the Guinness Guru but Islands Edge was never going to be a success.
As usual it was no doubt some lads around a table with a concept and they got paid handsomely for it. Dogs on the street knew it wouldn’t take off. Lots more younger people drinking stout but its always Guinness. No run on Islands Edge in my locals. Also, its a sh*te name too.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 12:47pm
How much were they selling it for? It would be hard to compete with their own product Beamish that sells for about €4:40.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
  Share Topic