Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 8:20am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Philly,
Just venture to the OWC site would confirm what the lads are saying.
Also Billy Bingham's actions a few years ago also support it.
Well horsebox I've been on the drink with a number of their fans and spent time in their company on a good few occassions and the only think i've ever encountered is a bit of pish taking and banter which you would get with any football rivals, like I said I know first hand a load of sh*te went on over 10 years ago but like has been stated on this forum a number of times before, things have changed - well it has with them but not people's perception of them in Ireland it seems
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 8:25am
Fair point Philly.

But reading some of their comments would leave me to believe that things have'nt changed.
They simply refuse to accept the opinions of members of the nationalist community who HAVE played for NI.
According to the fans on OWC any one who questions GSTQ or Windsor Park are sectarian bigots.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 6:07pm

Fair point Philly.

But reading some of their comments would leave me to believe that things have'nt changed.
They simply refuse to accept the opinions of members of the nationalist community who HAVE played for NI.
According to the fans on OWC any one who questions GSTQ or Windsor Park are sectarian bigots.

Clap
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 3:02am

Fair point Philly.

ive encountered that opinion from a few of them that i work with. they say they are british and GSTQ is their anthem and nothing else will do them.

keep your fuking team!
put em under pressure!
cabbageandbacon View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabbageandbacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 7:45am
In my opinion the majority are ok, but i would want to sit in their company for too long to be honest. I know some catholics up here who go to games, each to their own i say.

I know one bloke who goes to all their games home and away, and the nickname they have for him is 'Token taig'....kinda sums that lot up.
Twitter: @ghosty1879
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donal Cullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 11:15am
Oh come on lads! Don't we like to hit at Norn Iron? So why shouldn't they hit at us? Where it gets ugly is when the animalistic chants come into it. I have one friend who is a Chelsea, Linfield and Rangers fan who was coming down to se a match in Dublin (youths I think0 and I said I'd meet him off the train. As I only wrote to him I asked him how I would recognise him and he said I'd have no problem. So when the Enterprise pulled into to Connolly there must have been a hundred people getting out and I recognised him straight away. He was the one in the Rangers shirt and the NI flag. Great bloke and gas but misguided as to which Ireland he should have been supporting. We sl*gged the hell outta of each other and had a great time. 
There are friendlier places to drink.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 12:31pm

Most on the owc forum are in favour of dropping GSTQ as their anthem.  Although those who want to keep it aren't necessarily bigots.  
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 12:43pm
I wouldnt agree with you on that one gspain.

If they want to keep it (GSTQ) then that's fine it's there decision. But to brand all the players or supporters who choose to play or support the ROI bigots is a bit of a joke.

The reality from what I can see is they are not willing to listen to what the nationalist players or supporters want. Which is great because it plays in to our hands.

From what I have read is that they (NI) have a great under age system where nearly all nationalist players play for NI without a problem. It's only when they start to get a call up to the senior side do then decide to play for ROI.

They also fail to recogise the fact that some of these players consider themselves Irish and not Northern Irish. Instead just brand them bigots. They also blame the FAI on a lot of them defecting to the ROI and choose to ignore the fact that some of these players consider themselves as Irish.

The constart whining about the FAI beggers stealing their players while at the same time recruiting players like Lee Camp and a number of other players who were born outside of Northern Ireland.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
cabbageandbacon View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabbageandbacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Most on the owc forum are in favour of dropping GSTQ as their anthem.  Although those who want to keep it aren't necessarily bigots.  

I agree with that certainly. Although they say they want more Catholics to watch their team, GSTQ and it's removal wouldn't get me supporting them ever. If you class yourself as a nationalist then you wouldn't or couldn't support NI.
Twitter: @ghosty1879
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 12:47pm

If they want to keep it (GSTQ) then that's fine it's there decision. But to brand all the players or supporters who choose to play or support the ROI bigots is a bit of a joke.

The reality from what I can see is they are not willing to listen to what the nationalist players or supporters want. Which is great because it plays in to our hands.

From what I have read is that they (NI) have a great under age system where nearly all nationalist players play for NI without a problem. It's only when they start to get a call up to the senior side do then decide to play for ROI.

They also fail to recogise the fact that some of these players consider themselves Irish and not Northern Irish. Instead just brand them bigots. They also blame the FAI on a lot of them defecting to the ROI and choose to ignore the fact that some of these players consider themselves as Irish.

The constart whining about the FAI beggers stealing their players while at the same time recruiting players like Lee Camp and a number of other players who were born outside of Northern Ireland.

how is a player playing for them a nationalist ?

why should they listen  to what irish nationalists want ? I dont give a monkeys what they play
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 2:22pm

I obviously don't agree that Darron Gibson and Marc Wilson et al are bigots.  I can understand their frustration at losing talented players but that ship has sailed and a huge majority of those from a nationalist background now support the RoI and by logical extension would choose to play for us rather than NI.

I don't think GSTQ as an anthem is the issue here though and even if it changes won't make a huge difference. Although it will help.

Alex Bruce is the prime example of double standards btw. 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

why should they listen  to what irish nationalists want ? I dont give a monkeys what they play

Given the FAI broke away and then subsequently went to FIFA to stop southern players playing for NI you could argue that a true nationalist would support the original association. 

In reality though it should not be about politics. 

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Given the FAI broke away and then subsequently went to FIFA to stop southern players playing for NI you could argue that a true nationalist would support the original association. 

In reality though it should not be about politics

your country, your anthem, your flag, your president, your nationaility and its not about politics ? really ?

If your country is northern ireland then you (not you personnally) clearly view yourself as northern irish so play for their international side, plenty up here do, but plenty dont

its really not that complicated
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Donal Cullen Donal Cullen wrote:

Oh come on lads! Don't we like to hit at Norn Iron? So why shouldn't they hit at us? Where it gets ugly is when the animalistic chants come into it. I have one friend who is a Chelsea, Linfield and Rangers fan who was coming down to se a match in Dublin (youths I think0 and I said I'd meet him off the train. As I only wrote to him I asked him how I would recognise him and he said I'd have no problem. So when the Enterprise pulled into to Connolly there must have been a hundred people getting out and I recognised him straight away. He was the one in the Rangers shirt and the NI flag. Great bloke and gas but misguided as to which Ireland he should have been supporting. We sl*gged the hell outta of each other and had a great time. 

Really?? Brave man TBH, all things considered
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic