FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 10:51am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I don't think it was a recognized codeword but even if it was it was a lunatic Loyalist terrorist group not NI fans.    The IRA threatened to shoot George Best if he played a game - he did and scored.  They also threatened to shoot Mary Peters.  Should we blame NI fans for that too? 

I cannot believe even 0.1% of the NI fans would not want a "fenian" in the team.  As I said I was in the south stand at the Slovakia game and when Niall McGinn came on he received a huge reception.  It was if they were trying to make a point he was particularly welcome.   He then made a difference  and got huge support from the crowd and many afterwards were saying he should have started. 

BTW there was also a poll a few years back among the fans to name NI's greatest ever player.  The winner was Pat Jennings.  George Best was only runner up.

I'm not trying to argue with you gspain - you obviously have a lot more experience of Windsor Park than I do - but I find it a preposterous and naive notion that you think there isn't a percentage of NI fans(albeit a small one) who wouldn't prefer an all-protestant team.

It was if they were trying to make a point he was particularly welcome

lol, that was nice of them

Edited by Fitz - 29 Nov 2011 at 10:52am
Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 8:47am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

I don't think it was a recognized codeword but even if it was it was a lunatic Loyalist terrorist group not NI fans.    The IRA threatened to shoot George Best if he played a game - he did and scored.  They also threatened to shoot Mary Peters.  Should we blame NI fans for that too? 

I cannot believe even 0.1% of the NI fans would not want a "fenian" in the team.  As I said I was in the south stand at the Slovakia game and when Niall McGinn came on he received a huge reception.  It was if they were trying to make a point he was particularly welcome.   He then made a difference  and got huge support from the crowd and many afterwards were saying he should have started. 

BTW there was also a poll a few years back among the fans to name NI's greatest ever player.  The winner was Pat Jennings.  George Best was only runner up.

Is that not in itself a sign that something is wrong?
Jesus, Confused
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 8:21am

Is that not in itself a sign that something is wrong?
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Belfast Green Belfast Green wrote:

Had some crazy experiences at Windsor Park back in the 80's/90's when we used to follow C'ville.

I recall being at a Reds game when the UFF fired hand genades into the ground trying to kill C'ville supporters.

Have never attended a North 'international' game, it was always unsafe, especially during the 80's when pretty much the whole Windsor crowd sang sectarian songs and other loyalist paramilitary ditties on internatioinal nights. 

It was a mixed crowd though, UVF and UDA supporters mixed openly on the Kop. 

Ah...the good old days!!

I was at our games in 88,93 & 94 and never felt unsafe although there was certainly sectarian chanting such as the Sash and Billy Boys.  I never felt under threat but it wasn't a pleasant atmosphere.

I did go up to a few others at the time and you would hear the Sash and the Billy Boys but no way was it anything close to the whole crowd.  I never heard any songs supporting Loyalist terrorist organisations although I wouldn't know many such songs I never heard any with UDA, UFF, UVF etc.   Thankfully it is all changed now and you never hear the Sash or Billy Boys.
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:50am
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

[QUOTE=gspain]
A lot of it is plain begrudgery, jealousy and bigotry, IMHO. I'd bet anything that's there's plenty of NI 'fans' who'd rather there were no 'fenians' in their team, but at the same stage they don't want us to have them either. 
And can I enquire as to where you base your facts from in your humble opinion? Do you know many if any NI fans at all to make such an assessment off their support?
Belfast Green View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belfast Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:49am
Had some crazy experiences at Windsor Park back in the 80's/90's when we used to follow C'ville.

I recall being at a Reds game when the UFF fired hand genades into the ground trying to kill C'ville supporters.

Have never attended a North 'international' game, it was always unsafe, especially during the 80's when pretty much the whole Windsor crowd sang sectarian songs and other loyalist paramilitary ditties on internatioinal nights. 

It was a mixed crowd though, UVF and UDA supporters mixed openly on the Kop. 

Ah...the good old days!!

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 1:51am

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

GS,
Just as a matter of interest can I ask you why do you go to NI games?

(I saw you post on OWC too before I got banned LOL).

I go and watch football everywhere anywhere.  I'd always go up to a NI game if we have no game.  I thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere btw as they have a noisy passionate support totally different from the late 80's/early 90's. 

I can comfortably be in Belfast in under 2 hours and home before midnight for a midweek game.

At the Euros I will also be heading off to other games in whatever country we are based in. 

Good stuff.
I wouldnt do it myself though!!

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 1:42am

Neil Lennon was booed by a small minority v Norway.  He was cheered loudly at his next game and banners were made in support of him.   He was subsequently made captain for the Cyprus game and received a death threat from someone with a 20p coin.

As I said, I can only go on what was said in the media at the time: that the threat was credible and NL was advised to take it seriously. May well have only been a WUM/lone nutter, who knows?!

Given all the fuss the IFA and NI fans are making about players defecting you can hardly claim they don't want Catholics/nationalists playing for NI.  

A lot of it is plain begrudgery, jealousy and bigotry, IMHO. I'd bet anything that's there's plenty of NI 'fans' who'd rather there were no 'fenians' in their team, but at the same stage they don't want us to have them either. 

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 10:10pm

Neil Lennon was booed by a small minority v Norway.  He was cheered loudly at his next game and banners were made in support of him.   He was subsequently made captain for the Cyprus game and received a death threat from someone with a 20p coin.

As I said, I can only go on what was said in the media at the time: that the threat was credible and NL was advised to take it seriously. May well have only been a WUM/lone nutter, who knows?!

Given all the fuss the IFA and NI fans are making about players defecting you can hardly claim they don't want Catholics/nationalists playing for NI.  

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 2:59pm

GS,

I go and watch football everywhere anywhere.  I'd always go up to a NI game if we have no game.  I thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere btw as they have a noisy passionate support totally different from the late 80's/early 90's. 

I can comfortably be in Belfast in under 2 hours and home before midnight for a midweek game.

At the Euros I will also be heading off to other games in whatever country we are based in. 

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 2:33pm

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

I work literally beside Windsor Park and would have to disagree with you here.

Looks much better to me.  Some new apartments there that seem to be rented to Lithuanians or Poles.  Was at a game there on July 13th this year and very little bunting for the 12th compared to all year round stuff of the late 80's.  I believe many of the houses there are rented out to students including many RCs.

I still park up on Windsor Ave and walk down but I noticed most people park just over the footbridge now. 

I normally approach from the Lisburn Road side but at a Setanta game came in from the Boucher Road side and that seems to be just industrial and shopping now. 

The ground is pretty rundown now and badly in need of renovation but the area seems much improved.  

Agreed the ground itself is a dump.

The boucher entrance is fine as yes, its all industrial and car dealerships, however, the away fans are usually at this end and you get that lovely tunnel that Corkery just posted and about 100 yards down the road is the Village, which actually hasn't changed in 30 years.

The Lisburn road is ok, yes its all students and foreign nationals now. however, once you cross the railways bridge on tates avenue its very different. The one positive would be that you can enter the ground from the footbridge on Great Northern Road and not really have to experience it.
@AntrimMan85
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

It would be an absolute disgrace if GSTQ was dropped. It would dessimate our youth system.

LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 2:12pm

I don't think Windsor is in an intimidating location anymore.  It was in the 1980's and early 90's but the area has changed significantly and the area is much improved.

The way into Windsor Park, taken only a few months back. Note the bottles and broken glass thrown from the home fans. Really changed alright, love going in to chants of 'dirty fenian bastards.'
'
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

You seemed determined to argue with me and I'm not sure why, TBH. My understanding of the death threat situation is that NL was informed by the PSNI that it was a credible threat and that he should take it seriously - certainly that's the story that was doing the rounds at the time; whether it's true or not, I don't know.

As for the use of the word 'nationalist', I really only used it because I didn't want to say 'catholic' - afterall, we really are only catholics by default and most of us have no time or use for any of the bollox that goes along with it - what I really meant was 'people from the six counties who don't consider themselves British'.  As I've said, I can't understand why any non-protestant/non-British/non-Loyalist etc., would play for them, and I'm of the view that no catholic/nationalist/non-Brit should play for them.........hope this has cleared it up.

Its called a debate and you still dont grasp it Confused

You see you got it right in the first instance and then go write the follow upConfused Maybe I havent made it clear enought

Catholic - What does being a catholic have to do with anything regarding nationality ? unless you think only catholics should play for Ireland ? or all catholics are nationalists ? religon should have nothing to do with nationality so a persons religion is in no way relevent to what nationality a persons defines themself. As I stated catholics have played and will contine to play for Northern Ireland and are quite happy to do so ..........otherwise they wouldnt

Nationalist - given that a nationalist will view his capital in Dublin, his president as Michael D, his nationality as irish his flag as the tricolour and his anthem as Amhrán na bhFiann and would in no way describe themselves as Northern Irish how can you claim that nationalists played for/are playing for NI

Non British - you cannot be non british and play for NI so its irrelevent - it is the nationality that entitles you to play for NI as the recent discousre on eligibity confirmed. Irish nationality does not allow you to play for NI

I know what a debate is, Newryrep, and I assure you I do grasp it, but, admittedly, my wording of it was poor - but believe it or not we're actually on the same page and I do see why you took issue with the use of the word 'nationalist' - it was a poor choice of terms on my behalf, TBH, but the message I was trying to convey is the same one you put forward more clearly. I used it because I didn't want to say 'catholic', but in retrospect neither were suitable or totally accurate.

Quote Catholic - What does being a catholic have to do with anything regarding nationality ? unless you think only catholics should play for Ireland ? or all catholics are nationalists ? religon should have nothing to do with nationality so a persons religion is in no way relevent to what nationality a persons defines themself.

Well, in this case I think religion is relevant, as most NI protestants consider themselves British, do they not? And a lot of NI catholics consider themselves Irish, or at least 'not British', so I think it is fair to say that in NI religion does, for a lot of those concerned, define their nationality (to some degree or other anyway) - maybe not exclusively, but surely in an awful lot of cases. 

And no, not all catholics are nationalists, of course, but most nationalists would be from a catholic background, obviously enough.

Quote  British - you cannot be non british and play for NI so its irrelevent 

Again, my poor wording of it was what caused the confusion.

Edited by Fitz - 29 Nov 2011 at 3:33pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 11:53am
GS,

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 11:41am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

I work literally beside Windsor Park and would have to disagree with you here.

Looks much better to me.  Some new apartments there that seem to be rented to Lithuanians or Poles.  Was at a game there on July 13th this year and very little bunting for the 12th compared to all year round stuff of the late 80's.  I believe many of the houses there are rented out to students including many RCs.

I still park up on Windsor Ave and walk down but I noticed most people park just over the footbridge now. 

I normally approach from the Lisburn Road side but at a Setanta game came in from the Boucher Road side and that seems to be just industrial and shopping now. 

The ground is pretty rundown now and badly in need of renovation but the area seems much improved.  
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 7:25am
It'll be interesting to see how all these players that are born in the north but playing for us will turn out, so far despite all the publicity and crying by the Pub Teams association and fans, only a pretty average player (being generous) in Darron Gibson has made the grade
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 7:21am

Some great reading on OWC.
Anyone who declares for ROI is a bigot end of. No surrender.

whats wrong with that?

No surrender!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic