You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 246>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 5:02pm
Stating that Knight is not in the same class as McCarthy/Brady is not writing a player off so am unsure why you create that argument to argue against.

I agree re Knight - has progressed rapidly beyond his years and if age irons out his flaws, he'll be a valuable player for Ireland for a generation.

Back to McCarthy...I agree with the poster who suggested he call time on his Ireland career.  I'd love to have him in his prime, playing PL weekly but at his age I'd feel his injury woes are here to stay, and International football is likely something his logs could do without.
Hopefully I am wrong and he comes flying back next season for a few years injury-free...
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'd like to think we can do better than writing off players that have just turned 20 and are progressing well with their clubs? Drawing a line through Knight and Brady's careers up to their 20th birthday as an example Brady had played only half a season of Championship football at that stage whereas Knight had over a season and a half as a regular at that level and captained the team in a few games. 

Knight's doing well, he has gone off the boil a bit lately but that's not a huge surprise given how much football he has played and probably also the thing with his dad, he'll be back in form next season I'm sure.

The demand for instant success from the current batch of young players from some is incredible - various posters writing off 19 and 20 year olds when they have a few poor games or get dropped for a while. 

I'd rather have a player that doesn't break through until 22 or 23 and plays on at a high level into his mid 30s than one who is tearing it up at 18 or 19 but is effectively finished as a top level player by 30.
I'm not writing anyone off. It's an opinion of incoming players compared to those they'll replace. Take it or leave it. I'm certainly not demanding success - I'm opining why we're unlikely to have it. But good luck to Knight and tomorrow.

Again, you're comparing a very promising young player to two players who have had fairly unspectacular careers and saying that the young player (Knight) will "never" be the class equal of the other two (McCarthy and Brady). It's a ridiculous position to take given that Knight has just turned 20 and it's impossible to definitively make that call at this stage anyway, but particularly given that his career to date suggests he is actually well on course based on his development so far to, at a minimum, match that of the other two players.

At least give the lad a chance.
James98 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 5:56pm

I'd like to think we can do better than writing off players that have just turned 20 and are progressing well with their clubs? Drawing a line through Knight and Brady's careers up to their 20th birthday as an example Brady had played only half a season of Championship football at that stage whereas Knight had over a season and a half as a regular at that level and captained the team in a few games. 

Knight's doing well, he has gone off the boil a bit lately but that's not a huge surprise given how much football he has played and probably also the thing with his dad, he'll be back in form next season I'm sure.

The demand for instant success from the current batch of young players from some is incredible - various posters writing off 19 and 20 year olds when they have a few poor games or get dropped for a while. 

I'd rather have a player that doesn't break through until 22 or 23 and plays on at a high level into his mid 30s than one who is tearing it up at 18 or 19 but is effectively finished as a top level player by 30.
I'm not writing anyone off. It's an opinion of incoming players compared to those they'll replace. Take it or leave it. I'm certainly not demanding success - I'm opining why we're unlikely to have it. But good luck to Knight and tomorrow.

Again, you're comparing a very promising young player to two players who have had fairly unspectacular careers and saying that the young player (Knight) will "never" be the class equal of the other two (McCarthy and Brady). It's a ridiculous position to take given that Knight has just turned 20 and it's impossible to definitively make that call at this stage anyway, but particularly given that his career to date suggests he is actually well on course based on his development so far to, at a minimum, match that of the other two players.

At least give the lad a chance.
Again and finally, it's an opinion, not a statement of fact. You're extrapolating on what's not there. 

He's being linked with a move to Burnley, if it goes through it means at the age of 20 he will have already hit the peak of Brady's career and be in a good position to challenge James McCarthy. If you were to say he was on par with McCarthy or Brady now I would agree as he is still only a championship player, but to say he can't match or better either of their careers is complete hyberbole. Molumby I wouldn't right off just yet as I would like to see him next season to judge and Cullen/Browne I would agree on (Cullen could yet be a late bloomer but would have to really step it up soon to get himself up to the standard of these two). 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 6:22pm
Regardless of how people wish to rank McCarthy as to his potential on his day, here's an actual fact: in the vast majority of games for Ireland he has flattered to deceive. 

A debate on his talent seems futile as he rarely backed it up. In the years to come he won't be remembered as the player he was but as the player he could have been. If he's remembered that all, that is.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 7:28pm
makes the bench against leicester
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 9:38pm
I was watching Jamie Carragher talking about Spurs display yesterday and how cowardly they were.
At one stage he talked about the midfielders deliberately hiding behind an opposition player saying they pretended they wanted the ball but were hiding and said 'you can't fool me'.  He showed a few clips of their midfielders doing this.

I've been saying for years that's how Jamie McCarthy plays when he play for us.  Deliberately makes himself unavailable by making sure an opposition player is between him and the defender on the ball and he points constantly to give it to someone else. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I was watching Jamie Carragher talking about Spurs display yesterday and how cowardly they were.
At one stage he talked about the midfielders deliberately hiding behind an opposition player saying they pretended they wanted the ball but were hiding and said 'you can't fool me'.  He showed a few clips of their midfielders doing this.

I've been saying for years that's how Jamie McCarthy plays when he play for us.  Deliberately makes himself unavailable by making sure an opposition player is between him and the defender on the ball and he points constantly to give it to someone else. 
Yup McCarthy in a nutshell 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

I mean, Glenn Whelan made a career doing this... he perfected the art of pointing where the player should pass the ball.

Hourihan also seems to be able to have the same cloaking device used by the predator and just shimmer into the background.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I mean, Glenn Whelan made a career doing this... he perfected the art of pointing where the player should pass the ball.

Hourihan also seems to be able to have the same cloaking device used by the predator and just shimmer into the background.

Hendrick too. Unfortunately this is a trait in Irish midfielders that has been far too familiar of recent. You will always struggle when your midfielders refuse to take responsibility.

Jack Byrne is probably the last player in an Irish shirt that I've seen consistently looking for the ball during a match, and who showed a willingness to receive a ball when most others just pointed elsewhere. 
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Hendrick too. Unfortunately this is a trait in Irish midfielders that has been far too familiar of recent. You will always struggle when your midfielders refuse to take responsibility.

Jack Byrne is probably the last player in an Irish shirt that I've seen consistently looking for the ball during a match, and who showed a willingness to receive a ball when most others just pointed elsewhere. 

cant really compare Byrne as he plays further forward, but as for deep laying midfielders I would say Cullen looks for the ball constantly, and even Molumby isnt afraid of it
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

cant really compare Byrne as he plays further forward, but as for deep laying midfielders I would say Cullen looks for the ball constantly, and even Molumby isnt afraid of it

I'm comparing Byrne to all our mids; including Browne, Hourihane our supposed attacking mids. 

Nobody as a default, as a natural instinct, appears to want to be on the ball. A distinct lack of responsibility which I'm guessing is primarily borne out of fear. 

Byrne strikes me as someone who has never in his footballing life feared being on the ball. 

Edit: I do actually agree when it comes to Josh Cullen. What you could see in the last game against Luxembourg how he does go into his shell. I think Byrne is the only player we have whose own game isn't influenced by the players around him.

Edited by Banjaxed - 27 Apr 2021 at 4:47pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 1:31am
Postecoglou would apparently prefer Aaron Mooy over James McCarthy.

LOL

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 30 Jun 2021 at 1:32am
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Postecoglou would apparently prefer Aaron Mooy over James McCarthy.

LOL

Whats so funny? McCarthy is made of glass. He's going to struggle to find a club this summer.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 4:14pm
Signs a 4 year deal with Celtic 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 4:18pm
Good for him. I think this is an ambitious move that Celtic are backing given the quoted length of the deal. Would be lovely to see him flourish there, and perhaps even have a few more outings in the Green too.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 4:26pm
Very good move for him plus he'll also have European football. 

Hopefully he can get a decent run of games and it keeps the door open for the Irish squad. 

Kenny is a fan of him so I'd expect that to be the case if he can stay injury free. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 4:31pm
He's a class player - when fit.  Beautiful touch and one of those players who always has time. 

His performance in the 1-0 win over Germany is one of the best, but unheralded, performances in the green shirt in my view.   The epitome of doing the thankless work that is the foundation of wins like that.  

If you want to see a perfect holding midfielder performance, do yourself a favour and watch that video again - back when we were competitive - we all need something to cheer us up these days!  

Biting tackles and covering every proverbial inch of grass.  Long time ago now, mind. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

He's a class player - when fit.  Beautiful touch and one of those players who always has time. 

His performance in the 1-0 win over Germany is one of the best, but unheralded, performances in the green shirt in my view.   The epitome of doing the thankless work that is the foundation of wins like that.  

If you want to see a perfect holding midfielder performance, do yourself a favour and watch that video again - back when we were competitive - we all need something to cheer us up these days!  

Biting tackles and covering every proverbial inch of grass.  Long time ago now, mind. 

Well said Byrno
Hope you're keeping well
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 246>
  Share Topic