You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222223224225226 246>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 2:47pm
Those quotes are a disgrace from Mick. They might not be a million miles from the truth but to speak it so bluntly, when you might actually want McCarthy in the squad and able to perform, isn't going to help at all.
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Our midfield has been ineffective for years even when McCarthy was playing too.

And I said as much in my above post.

In terms of team units I don't think anyone could deny that our midfield unit is the one that's under-performing most currently?

One simply can't point to the fact that we're not conceding and say that's Whelan exempt from criticism. When looking at clean sheets and so forth it's your goalkeeper and defence that deserves most of the praise in that regard, given the way we play our holding midfielder is merely just a small cog on that side of things. 

Hendrick and Hourihane aren't getting enough support behind them to push further forward as they know Whelan hasn't got the legs (which isn't his fault he's 35) so there's part of our attacking threat negated. Whelan also tends to stay very close to our centre backs when out of possession, so you'll often find the two lads ahead of him chasing shadows. (again he hasn't got the legs)

If Whelan starts in Slovakia, I really hope he can have a positive impact on the team and I'll support him as I would every other player. I also don't think by starting James McCarthy we will suddenly become favourites to beat Slovakia either, but I think we'd be slightly stronger as a team with him in it.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 4:57pm
those quotes are straight from the Martin O’Niell playbook, constant negativity from Mick on McCarthy, why would you come out with such bull sh it in public, also the comments about two young strikers that probably need confidence... the sooner this absolute clown is away out of the sigh of out National team again the better
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

In terms of team units I don't think anyone could deny that our midfield unit is the one that's under-performing most currently?

One simply can't point to the fact that we're not conceding and say that's Whelan exempt from criticism. When looking at clean sheets and so forth it's your goalkeeper and defence that deserves most of the praise in that regard, given the way we play our holding midfielder is merely just a small cog on that side of things. 

Hendrick and Hourihane aren't getting enough support behind them to push further forward as they know Whelan hasn't got the legs (which isn't his fault he's 35) so there's part of our attacking threat negated. Whelan also tends to stay very close to our centre backs when out of possession, so you'll often find the two lads ahead of him chasing shadows. (again he hasn't got the legs)

If Whelan starts in Slovakia, I really hope he can have a positive impact on the team and I'll support him as I would every other player. I also don't think by starting James McCarthy we will suddenly become favourites to beat Slovakia either, but I think we'd be slightly stronger as a team with him in it.

But when Whelan was taken out of the team, results or performances didn't really improve.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

McCarthy has contributed even less than Whelan at international level to be fair. Because he hasn't played for us so long people forget just how utterly ineffective he was 90% of the time and he becomes mythologised as some kind of invincible midfield general.
Our players tend to get much better the less they play. 

They seem to get worse the more they play too.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

McCarthy has contributed even less than Whelan at international level to be fair. Because he hasn't played for us so long people forget just how utterly ineffective he was 90% of the time and he becomes mythologised as some kind of invincible midfield general.
Our players tend to get much better the less they play. 

They seem to get worse the more they play too.

LOL
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 7:09pm

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

But when Whelan was taken out of the team, results or performances didn't really improve.

They did.

We beat Germany at home, Italy in the Euros, Wales and Austria away when he was dropped - Austria he came off after 20 mins with cramp. Our biggest 4 wins of the decade.

But sure now he’s 36 let the good times roll
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 7:13pm
Some of those games are from over 4 years ago .
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 7:41pm
What would you say was the last good ireland performance Horsebox? 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 8:04pm
His last 2 games were his 2 best 2 of the campaign.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 8:08pm

His last 2 games were his 2 best 2 of the campaign.

That's not what he asked, he asked team performance.

We've been dire, but why change anything and then wonder why we won't qualify.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 8:14pm
Your right he did.

I thought we played well against the Danes.

Over the course of the tournament we have been poor, no doubt about it. I'd have expected better.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 8:20pm

Your right he did.

I thought we played well against the Danes.

Over the course of the tournament we have been poor, no doubt about it. I'd have expected better.

In your own honest opinion what do you think we need to do (I suppose being realistic at the same time) to have a chance against Slovakia?

No right or wrong answer, only asking Thumbs Up

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 8:44pm
We need to go for it, similar to what we did against the Danes. Leave nothing on the pitch, take risks.

Long has to play, at least at some stage of the game. For once, we have
our strikers scoring goals, something we didn't have for our previous games.

The starting line up - apart from our strikers kinda picks itself and I wouldn't be afraid to use Jack Byrne from the bench if we are losing the game.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 8:51pm
I just cant get my head around a manager coming out with nonsense like that, he has lost it.

Whether he is committed or not is not really the point, he is shutting down the idea of playing a central midfielder playing in the premiership regularly and competently for a stalwart playing out the final days of his career two tiers below. 

none of our players have experience of two major international away wins in a row in the space of 5 days. Let's get the best players on the pitch and reward form. 

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

Whether he is committed or not is not really the point, he is shutting down the idea of playing a central midfielder playing in the premiership regularly and competently for a stalwart playing out the final days of his career two tiers below.

Nail on the head. It's utterly bizarre and an absolute abdication of his responsibility to ensure the team is ready when Kenny takes over.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:30pm
Is anyone surprised that Mick is coming out with these sort of comments given his form previous?

His post match comments on the back of one of our worst campaigns in living memory performances wise he takes no blame. 

For some strange reason finished 3rd in a group we were expected to finish 3rd has him feeling smug.

The man doesn't give a f**k about anyone but himself and his own ego unfortunately. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

Nail on the head. It's utterly bizarre and an absolute abdication of his responsibility to ensure the team is ready when Kenny takes over.

Maybe I’ve been an optimist, but it looks like even with a good raft of form Premier League players and Championship lads, we will more or less apply the same model as has got us scrapping around the play offs. I honestly can’t see how there is not some obvious and clear selection alternatives which can be made.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222223224225226 246>
  Share Topic