James McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 246>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Trap - with respect, there is simply no logic there whatsoever. 

You asked me why he hasn't retired and I gave you some theories.  I think people think every lad that wears green has this deep love of the country and all things Irish. Its quite naive.  There have been plenty of lads played for us who simply do it to progress their career whether thats playing in a world cup or to put themselves in shop windows etc.. They are like any punter in the workplace who may jump ship if a company offers them a better job.   They don't work at DHL because they love the company policy.  Its just a job. Same with these lads.  Its just a job for a lot of them.  There's none of this loyalty and love of the green for a lot of lads who have played for us over the years.

Mo Johnston went to Rangers and was a Celtic fan favourite.  He posed in a  Celtic shirt and said he only wanted to play for Celtic a few days before signing for Rangers. because he got a good offer  These type of lads would sell their soul for cash and glory. They only think about whats good for them and their career.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 10:48pm
Trap - with respect, there is simply no logic there whatsoever. 

Edited by Left foot - 04 Mar 2020 at 10:49pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 10:34pm

Trap - are you saying that he just wants to put himself forward for the high profile games... you know, like a playoff or whatever?

No. Because I don't think it would bother him to miss Euro 2020 if we qualify.  He may use international football to put himself in the shop window age 31 is Palace let him go for example.

The chap doesn't give a toss about us.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 10:32pm
Trap - are you saying that he just wants to put himself forward for the high profile games... you know, like a playoff or whatever?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 10:26pm

If half of what people say about McCarthys commitment is true can people please explain to me why he doesnt just retire from international football?

He probably wants to keep the door open to come back if and when it suits him to advance his club career.  Or maybe he is just spineless and afraid to cop a load of flak.  The chap is 29.

What about that other EIRE LEGEND Harry Arter.  Has he retired.  The most committed player to the cause there ever was.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 10:21pm
If half of what people say about McCarthys commitment is true can people please explain to me why he doesnt just retire from international football?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

If Coleman, Whelan, McClean are carrying injuries and are 50/50 for the game they will declare themselves fit and available for selection.  If James McCarthy is carrying a n injury and is 50/50 he will declare himself unfit and not available for selection.

Should McCarthy play ahead of Whelan if he's fit?

On ability maybe by a gee hair.  On commitment? No. 

For what its worth he won't be in the squad. 

Honest question here but since when does commitment play any part in your feelings towards who starts for the Irish team?

You've spent the best part of 5/6 years whinging constantly about our team selections, style of play etc and the how some sections of our fanbase just accept mediocrity and praise lads for showing up and being committed.

This the very attitude you're unhappy with it and now all of a sudden you're using commitment as a key part in whether you would select Whelan over McCarthy? Strange.

Don't know where you are getting this from but I never sl*g anyone off for showing up and being committed.  I think Given was particularly selfish in Euro 2012 and would criticise him over that and have said he went way down in my estimation and also coming back in 2015 when it suddenly suited him again and he was by then well past it. 

I like Whelan as a fella but don't think he is a particularly good player. I don't think McCarthy is anything special either.  An average player. He has lots of faults just like Whelan. He doesn't look for the ball for starters. He is probably a slightly better player but imo there wasn't a lot in it between the two when they were both in their primes at Everton/Wigan and Stoke.  But this argument is irrelevant imo.  The player wont make himself available imo.  And if he does Mick will play Glenn anyway.  There is no way McCarthy will play. 

If McCarthy was as committed as Glenn I would play him ahead of Glenn especially at Whelan's age and club situation the way it is right now.

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 10:03pm

If Coleman, Whelan, McClean are carrying injuries and are 50/50 for the game they will declare themselves fit and available for selection.  If James McCarthy is carrying a n injury and is 50/50 he will declare himself unfit and not available for selection.

Honest question here but since when does commitment play any part in your feelings towards who starts for the Irish team?

You've spent the best part of 5/6 years whinging constantly about our team selections, style of play etc and the how some sections of our fanbase just accept mediocrity and praise lads for showing up and being committed.

This the very attitude you're unhappy with it and now all of a sudden you're using commitment as a key part in whether you would select Whelan over McCarthy? Strange.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 10:02pm

If you're an ireland player that isnt fully match fit and say that you are, you risk costing the team the game as you cant perform at 100%. This for me is utter stupidity. 

If you cant give 100% let someone who can give 100% play 

Well yes. Given and Dunne should no way have played Euro 2012.  However stupid their decision they did it from a good place and were desperate to play.
McCarthy just isn't interested in international football.

P.S.  McGrath played against Italy in 1994 suffering form a virus (Probably Coronavirus) and couldn't move his arm.  What a performance he put in that day.  Probably the best ever performance by an EIRE player.

McGrath was amazing, but all said, Dunne vs Russia was the superior  defensive performance. We were more comfortable than legend would have it against Italy that day.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 04 Mar 2020 at 10:04pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:55pm

If you're an ireland player that isnt fully match fit and say that you are, you risk costing the team the game as you cant perform at 100%. This for me is utter stupidity. 

Well yes. Given and Dunne should no way have played Euro 2012.  However stupid their decision they did it from a good place and were desperate to play.
McCarthy just isn't interested in international football.

P.S.  McGrath played against Italy in 1994 suffering form a virus (Probably Coronavirus) and couldn't move his arm.  What a performance he put in that day.  Probably the best ever performance by an EIRE player.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:52pm

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:52pm

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:50pm

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:39pm

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:39pm
It's not about the alternatives, it's about talking down James McCarthy over Whelan, when Whelan will not play under Kenny and McCarthy might.

He's leaving a problem for Kenny which he simply doesn't need to leave, regardless of how we get on in the playoffs. He has the perfect opportunity to reintegrate McCarthy into the set up but instead it seems he would rather continue a bizarre spat with him.

I don't understand it.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

Whether he is committed or not is not really the point, he is shutting down the idea of playing a central midfielder playing in the premiership regularly and competently for a stalwart playing out the final days of his career two tiers below.

Nail on the head. It's utterly bizarre and an absolute abdication of his responsibility to ensure the team is ready when Kenny takes over.

Maybe I’ve been an optimist, but it looks like even with a good raft of form Premier League players and Championship lads, we will more or less apply the same model as has got us scrapping around the play offs. I honestly can’t see how there is not some obvious and clear selection alternatives which can be made.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:30pm
Is anyone surprised that Mick is coming out with these sort of comments given his form previous?

His post match comments on the back of one of our worst campaigns in living memory performances wise he takes no blame. 

For some strange reason finished 3rd in a group we were expected to finish 3rd has him feeling smug.

The man doesn't give a f**k about anyone but himself and his own ego unfortunately. 

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

Whether he is committed or not is not really the point, he is shutting down the idea of playing a central midfielder playing in the premiership regularly and competently for a stalwart playing out the final days of his career two tiers below.

Nail on the head. It's utterly bizarre and an absolute abdication of his responsibility to ensure the team is ready when Kenny takes over.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 246>
  Share Topic