You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeff Hendrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 132133134135136 143>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Presumably there's a reason why they can't just ship him off to some sister team in Saudi Arabia, Al-Magpie or whoever?

You also presume Newcastle have a sister team 8n Saudi Arabia they can simply send players too.

Despite numerous Saudi clubs having the same PIF ownership basis doesn't mean they are the same entity, similar to the red bull teams they all have their own bank accounts 

Jaysus, the Saudis would love you on the board of the Premier League or UEFA. Smile
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

hendrick really is a terrible footballer. That much is obvious to anyone with eyes for a long time now. 

Newcastle could have done with your input 3 or 4 seasons ago when they offered him his 70k a week contract!

Jeff is entitled to see out his contract if Newcastle refuse to pay him off, but hopefully it wont come to that. Comparisons to Arter and McCarthy are unfair in the extreme, Jeff hasnt just sat around for any length of time, he's gone out on loan and played football. Why at this stage of his career would he walk away from a 70k a week contract, nobody would? 

Anyway I hope it's not an accounting thing on Newcastle's part and he gets sorted soon. Love him or hate him we have a real dearth of options in our midfield, if he can get a move to a Championship club and he starts regularly he will remain in contention for a spot in the squad.
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 12:30pm

hendrick really is a terrible footballer. That much is obvious to anyone with eyes for a long time now. 

Terrible is very harsh. He's had a good career and played well at a good level for both Derby and Burnley.

Some brilliant individual goals during his career.

His career has stagnated since turning down a new contract at Burnley in 2020.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 12:35pm

Presumably there's a reason why they can't just ship him off to some sister team in Saudi Arabia, Al-Magpie or whoever?

You also presume Newcastle have a sister team 8n Saudi Arabia they can simply send players too.

Despite numerous Saudi clubs having the same PIF ownership basis doesn't mean they are the same entity, similar to the red bull teams they all have their own bank accounts 

They could just set up a new team for Jeff though. Al-Jazzyra.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 12:36pm
The timing of the Newcastle move wasn’t great. Once the Saudi’s properly started moving towards purchasing the club, it was only a matter of time before players like Hendrick were sidelined.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The timing of the Newcastle move wasn’t great. Once the Saudi’s properly started moving towards purchasing the club, it was only a matter of time before players like Hendrick were sidelined.

Or it was absolutely perfect depending on how you look at it. If he had taken the Burnley contract offer he'd just be rotting away in the Burnley reserves now on half the money.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Terrible is very harsh. He's had a good career and played well at a good level for both Derby and Burnley.

Some brilliant individual goals during his career.

His career has stagnated since turning down a new contract at Burnley in 2020.

Thats fair, but I think with the right club, he can still eke out at least another couple of seasons at Championship level, his game has never relied on pace and he has always looked after himself. I always felt his best position as a young lad at Derby was as a deep lying playmaker type, maybe he can get himself another couple of years at a decent level playing as one of the two in a 4-2-3-1.

Tbh I find the constant criticism of Jeff unedifying, it's not his fault that he was the best midfielder available to successive Irish managers for a significant period of time. He has never given less than 100% and has turned up through thick and thin taking all the criticism that has come his way squarely on the chin. He has also been shunted around all over the place during his time with Ireland, CDM, CM, CAM, RM , LM without ever really being handed a defined role. Decent international player who has always given his all in a green shirt, but perhaps never really met the overly high expectations people placed on him when he first broke through. Will never understand the level and degree of criticism that is regularly fired his way.

Edited by John Nice - 22 Aug 2023 at 12:50pm
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 1:01pm

Clap
Idah Dream!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 1:05pm

How long though? I'm sure the scouts, coaching team and management at clubs like Derby, Burnley, Reading & Newcastle have eyes and I'm sure those eyes are able to look at a player and form a better educated opinion than a few random fellas on YBIG.

He's had a good career at top clubs and been with the International set up from U15's to approaching nearly 80 caps at snr level.

He might not be the best of footballers we've seen in a green shirt but he clearly isn't/wasn't a terrible footballer. I think he just gets a lot of unwarranted stick the majority of time. 

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 22 Aug 2023 at 1:06pm
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 2:01pm

LOL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 2:26pm
Hendrick definitely isn't terrible, but Holy Moly was he born in the right era from a financial point of view. To get 70 grand a week for his abilities is something else. 
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 3:18pm
He should be applauded for taking €70k a week.

Clap

Bravo, Jeff. Bravo!

And if he is looking for a new club, might I suggest Jef United. He was clearly born to play for them.
Luder View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 5:00pm
I think Jeff's problem is he's afraid of the ball. Afraid to get hurt, or maybe afraid to screw something up. I'm not mocking him for it, some people just have that. Childhood trauma or whatever. That's what it looks like to me anyway. He obviously has a lot of talent.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 5:10pm
It's obvious Jeff should not be named in next week's squad based on the fact that his season has yet to start, but who replaces him?
We really have a lack of central midfielders outside Cullen, Knight and Molumby (and Smallbone, who is touch and go at this stage).

I'd assume Jeff will be named and I've nothing against the lad, but it speaks to our lack of squad-dept in midfield that he would be called up on the back of no matches in months.

Edited by Fozz - 22 Aug 2023 at 5:10pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 5:23pm
Browne, McGrath, Taylor probably the others, Sykes can play the position too. It's not great but hopefully Smallbone might be back and we can choose three out of him, Cullen, Knight and Molumby, or maybe even all four, for Paris. Browne can do a job off the bench also and it's probably time for Taylor to make his debut.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 5:37pm

Browne, McGrath, Taylor probably the others, Sykes can play the position too. It's not great but hopefully Smallbone might be back and we can choose three out of him, Cullen, Knight and Molumby, or maybe even all four, for Paris. Browne can do a job off the bench also and it's probably time for Taylor to make his debut.

Browne and/or Sykes are probably required to rotate with Doherty over the course of the two games, while neither game is really an ideal one to be handing Taylor (who has barely featured for Ipswich so far this season) a debut. The three day gap between games is also an issue. Love him or hate him, particularly if Smallbone is out, I think Hendrick will likely be in the squad which is far from ideal, but highlights the main issue facing the team going forward.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Luder Luder wrote:

I think Jeff's problem is he's afraid of the ball. Afraid to get hurt, or maybe afraid to screw something up. I'm not mocking him for it, some people just have that. Childhood trauma or whatever. That's what it looks like to me anyway. He obviously has a lot of talent.

Simply not true - Hendrick has been by far the most comfortable midfielder on the ball since Wes retired. He was a solid EPL midfielder with good technical ability. As has been said his main crime was that he wasn't the Pirlo people wanted him to be.
We're decent enough..
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Luder Luder wrote:

Simply not true - Hendrick has been by far the most comfortable midfielder on the ball since Wes retired. He was a solid EPL midfielder with good technical ability. As has been said his main crime was that he wasn't the Pirlo people wanted him to be.
And Unfortunately the gap between Wes and Jeff is an absolute chasm.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 132133134135136 143>
  Share Topic