You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeff Hendrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 143>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:35pm
I agree Knight hasn't been at his best in the last few weeks, he has played an awful lot of football this season for a 19/20 year old which is probably catching up with him a bit.

But at the same time he gives Derby that box to box energy week in week out, even when he's not playing at his best, that we currently don't have and badly need in our team.

I think it's less about who is the better player between Knight and Hendrick as much as it is about who gives us more of what we need at the moment. If we had other box to box midfielders we could maybe carry Hendrick for his winning of second balls and so on, but right now we need what Knight brings to the team more.
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:56pm
Sadly yet another weekend where all we have to discuss is what Jeff Hendrick isn’t 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Sadly yet another weekend where all we have to discuss is what Jeff Hendrick isn’t 

Would love to discuss what he is. Not trying to be flippant and throwaway with Jeff bashing. Just nobody seems to be able to give a detailed description of what Jeff does (with examples).

It's all vague and non descript. Incidentally, we have to move away from this obsession with "experience" being a valid reason for underperforming players getting a game. 

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 2:14pm
Jeff is yesterdays news .

Did so well to get a 4 year contract at around 40k a week LOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Would love to discuss what he is. Not trying to be flippant and throwaway with Jeff bashing. Just nobody seems to be able to give a detailed description of what Jeff does (with examples).

It's all vague and non descript. Incidentally, we have to move away from this obsession with "experience" being a valid reason for underperforming players getting a game. 

Unfortunately I agree with you 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 2:29pm
 I mean, if we're going for brutal honesty with regard to our players 

I would agree that hendrick has been a poor player, showed glimmers of ability in the last internationals bit yes, he's been poor.

Hourihane - set pieces are good but otherwise he's just as poor as hendrick if not more so with his obvious lack of pace and mobility

Duffy - had been good in a team that defends deep and hoofs the ball forward in the past. Now he's an overweight, flat footed disaster of a defender.

Robinson - brings very little quality to the team and is mid table championship player at the very best. Preston did well to cash in on him.

Mcclean - runs around a lot (at least he used to) otherwise does more damage to how the team plays than not. Gives needless free kicks to opposition in dangerous areas and has zero quality on the ball.

Odowda - a poor man's mcgeady. Never going to show at a higher level than a rotation player in the championship.

Coleman - can have a good game in 10 at best. Looks like a squad player and will soon be a Randolph in that he can come on if there are injuries.

Doherty - can have a good game in 20. Struggling at right back.

I could go on and on...
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 2:33pm
The curious case of Jeff. Anyone doubting his ability - go back and watch highlights of ourselves v Sweden/Italy in 2016. He showed that summer that he has the talent. A shame how his career has meandered since then. 
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 2:34pm

This. 'Experience' of strolling round the pitch, letting the game pass him by while playing with his hair isn't exactly much use to anyone. Unhappy
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 2:39pm
Amongst all the doom and gloom, Clark and o'shea were good today.

Edited by aviva8 - 07 Mar 2021 at 2:39pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I mean, if we're going for brutal honesty with regard to our players 

I would agree that hendrick has been a poor player, showed glimmers of ability in the last internationals bit yes, he's been poor.

Hourihane - set pieces are good but otherwise he's just as poor as hendrick if not more so with his obvious lack of pace and mobility

Duffy - had been good in a team that defends deep and hoofs the ball forward in the past. Now he's an overweight, flat footed disaster of a defender.

Robinson - brings very little quality to the team and is mid table championship player at the very best. Preston did well to cash in on him.

Mcclean - runs around a lot (at least he used to) otherwise does more damage to how the team plays than not. Gives needless free kicks to opposition in dangerous areas and has zero quality on the ball.

Odowda - a poor man's mcgeady. Never going to show at a higher level than a rotation player in the championship.

Coleman - can have a good game in 10 at best. Looks like a squad player and will soon be a Randolph in that he can come on if there are injuries.

Doherty - can have a good game in 20. Struggling at right back.

I could go on and on...

Hard to argue with a lot of that, possibly harsh on Robinson who I think will do well back in the Championship and I could see Doherty going back to Wolves and doing well there again. The descriptions of Hendrick, Hourihane, Duffy, McClean and O'Dowda are pretty much spot on though. Very hard to make a case for any if them any more. The problem is that most of their replacements are a couple of years at least away from being ready to significantly improve on what's there.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:00pm
Who are their replacements?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The million dollar question right there horse... 

At the moment... there are no replacements.

But we're pinning our hopes on Knight, Connolly, Nathan Collins, kelleher, smallbone to make the team better.

At the moment, I dont think Idah, parrott, molumby, kilkenny, masterson, Coventry, connell, obafemi and many more will make it as premier league players needed to make us a better team 

Edited by Left foot - 07 Mar 2021 at 3:59pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 5:17pm

But we're pinning our hopes on Knight, Connolly, Nathan Collins, kelleher, smallbone to make the team better.

At the moment, I dont think Idah, parrott, molumby, kilkenny, masterson, Coventry, connell, obafemi and many more will make it as premier league players needed to make us a better team 

Why do you think you are entitled to see 11 Premiership players playing for our national team? Why are you belittling reasonable Championship players and young lads making their way that may or may not make it into the senior squad? 

Firstly, you're setting some kind of arbitrary standard that you expect Irish players to meet and the fact that they are not causes you to throw swipes at them. Then, you're opining on the outcome of the careers of teenages and 20 year olds when we all know this is the largest glut of young players we have had knocking around the fringes of squads in the Premiership and Championship for a long time. Yet, you reckon that a large swathe of them won't make it. 

You've managed to cut down our existing players and write off our potential players in a couple of posts because you don't think they are good enough for top half Premiership football. Christ. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 7:34pm

You’ve nailed it there - last paragraph 100 per cent agree.

First group of names, you’re right again - key word is “hope” - we’ll be lucky if 2/3 of our great hopes are going to be regular consistent performers in premier league 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 9:30pm

Watching Newcastle. It's beyond a joke, what the fook does Hendrick do? 

Seriously, how's it even up for debate that he shouldn't be in our starting 11? 

If a better option can be put forward banjaxed, please let us know.

Christy Brown!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 9:45pm
Hendrick had a good game against Burnley tonight.

Jeff Hendrick 8

Saw one shot roll wide. Has made a decent fist of it against old club and two other efforts have made him the Magpies' biggest goal threat so far.

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Hendrick had a good game against Burnley tonight.

Jeff Hendrick 8

Saw one shot roll wide. Has made a decent fist of it against old club and two other efforts have made him the Magpies' biggest goal threat so far.

It was 8 out of 100!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 9:53pm
An 8/10. That’s his shift for the next year or two done so. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 143>
  Share Topic