Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liverpool FC thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13841385138613871388 1459>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

so hard to retain a title, levels dropping by a few % makes the difference. They look knackered. 

So true. 
City winning the 2018/19 title with 98 points and Liverpool on 97, and adding the two domestic cups to complete the treble will never get the credit it deserves

It doesn't "get the credit it deserves" because there's no merit to it given City's financial power which was bestowed on them overnight from Abu Dhabi. Chelsea and PSG had the similar fortune which is why any footballing achievements those clubs have will always have that asterix attached to it. 

United and Liverpool spent ridiculous amounts of money in the last couple of decades but both clubs fortune and dominance was self made. 

LOLLOL

Back to this again

Give over, it was an incredible achievement by those players and manager, coming off the back of a 100 point season.
They should have coined a phrase for themselves that season. Mentality monsters or something 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 21 Jan 2021 at 11:17pm
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:06am

so hard to retain a title, levels dropping by a few % makes the difference. They look knackered. 

So true. 
City winning the 2018/19 title with 98 points and Liverpool on 97, and adding the two domestic cups to complete the treble will never get the credit it deserves

It doesn't "get the credit it deserves" because there's no merit to it given City's financial power which was bestowed on them overnight from Abu Dhabi. Chelsea and PSG had the similar fortune which is why any footballing achievements those clubs have will always have that asterix attached to it. 

United and Liverpool spent ridiculous amounts of money in the last couple of decades but both clubs fortune and dominance was self made. 

When Burnley played Man Utd a couple of weeks ago the starting line up player costs came in as

Man Utd €423 million , Burnley £41 million .

Says it all really for those who have and those who don't , now there are a lot worse when you drop down divisions as you can guess .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

So true. 

When Burnley played Man Utd a couple of weeks ago the starting line up player costs came in as

Says it all really for those who have and those who don't , now there are a lot worse when you drop down divisions as you can guess .

Paul Pogba earns more than the entire Sheffield Utd first XI

The only club to win the EPL who didn’t have a wage bill in the top 3 is Leicester.

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 10:30am
Every team has a bad run and come out of it but this one looks like dragging on a while longer. Last night was worse than Sunday, absolutely dismal. Only positive is chances have been created just not taken. Four games without a goal but over 70 attempts in that time, that's crazy. It's all so slow and laboured, like someone said above it looks like they're knackered but couldn't be at this stage of the season? 

Really miss Henderson out of CM when he's not there but the backup just isn't good enough. Few deserved to be dropped but what you're bringing in drops the level even further. Origi wouldn't make many PL starting 11's, Shaqiri is decent when coming on but doesn't do much when starts. Minamino hasn't done a tap since he arrived. More worrying for me is the form of the two fullbacks. Robertson's been up & down but TAA has been dreadful the last while. Couldn't pass a ball ten yards last night and his crosses were atrocious. 

Spurs, City, Leicester & Everton to come in the next few weeks, could be lucky to be top half if things dont change quick
Some people just deserve a slap
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

So true. 

Paul Pogba earns more than the entire Sheffield Utd first XI

The only club to win the EPL who didn’t have a wage bill in the top 3 is Leicester.

I would argue that no club has won the Premier League this century.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 10:34am
I see Thiago is getting pelters from idiots within the media, he is the best midfielder Liverpool have had in a very long time! Easy to blame the new guy I suppose.
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 10:55am
Manchester United played at Burnley just after signing Angel Di Maria.  The commentator mentioned that his signing alone was for more money than Burnley had spent in their entire history. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 10:58am
Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Manchester United played at Burnley just after signing Angel Di Maria.  The commentator mentioned that his signing alone was for more money than Burnley had spent in their entire history. 
Unless he meant solely on transfer fees, this would be outrageously incorrect. Unless they were secretly amateur until then.
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 11:23am
Yes  solely on transfer fees.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 11:28am
Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Yes  solely on transfer fees.

I remember that one also Longford , also more people go to watch Man Utd at home then live in Burnley .

Something like 30% of the population of Burnley attend home games , something like that .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 12:52pm
Some capitualtion of form since beating Spurs 2-1 and Palace 7-0 away. How does that happen? 

If Man City get a 7 point lead it would be very difficult to claw back, once either team had a good advantage over the other it quickly grew bigger and it looks most likely that will happen here too. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I see Thiago is getting pelters from idiots within the media, he is the best midfielder Liverpool have had in a very long time! Easy to blame the new guy I suppose.

I agree he is but I think Liverpool’s success was based on them
Not having a midfield and by now having one it may be causing them issues further up the pitch. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Some capitualtion of form since beating Spurs 2-1 and Palace 7-0 away. How does that happen? 

If Man City get a 7 point lead it would be very difficult to claw back, once either team had a good advantage over the other it quickly grew bigger and it looks most likely that will happen here too. 

They were lucky enough to win that game v Spurs I said at the time 
Son and Kane missed two sitters at 1-1
Liverpool had a lot of possession but created very few clear chances

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 2:24pm

They were lucky enough to win that game v Spurs I said at the time 
Son and Kane missed two sitters at 1-1
Liverpool had a lot of possession but created very few clear chances

Now we still have loads of possession but are doing sweet fook all with it!
Been a depressing few weeks, back to where we were at a few years ago unfortunately. It'll turn but will probably be too far behind City at that stage 
Some people just deserve a slap
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 3:11pm

Some capitualtion of form since beating Spurs 2-1 and Palace 7-0 away.

Dunno about the Palace game, but they might easily have only got a draw at home to Spurs - they really weren't very good at all that game, and certainly nothing like the team of a season or two ago.

How does that happen?
There is a theory that the "best" team doesn't always win the league, since 38 games isn't always a big enough sample size.

Obviously the league winners will be thereabouts amongst the leading teams, but with football being so random, as few as 3 or 4 games between the challenging teams can decide the destination of the trophy (the top teams generally all beat the rest of the teams in fairly equal measure).

A far better measure of a team is over 100-odd games, as illustrated best by Leicester City when they won the league. If you look at the previous season, if they weren't nearly so "bad" as their results indicated, neither can you say they were a top team, either. And the season after they won it they were decent, but no more. In other words, they had an exceptional run of 40-odd games at a time when the other big teams were all underperforming for one reason or another, before reverting to the mean the following season.

The reasoning behind this 100 game season is that it can easily take 30, 40 even 50 games to build a top team, and you can only maintain it for another 50-odd games before the team has to be re-built, after which stage it is exceptionally hard to keep on winning the title. In particular you need experienced players at/around their peak in order to build a truly top team, but often they only have it in them for a couple of seasons before they begin to decline (or leave).

And relating this to Liverpool, they were arguably the "best" team in England in 2018/19, gaining 97 points and winning the CL. They'd have won the PL too, were it not for a narrow defeat at the Etihad, after a draw with City at Anfield.

In retrospect, we can say that that City team was then at a more advanced stage of their 100 game cycle than Liverpool, which explains why they dropped off significantly in 2019/20 and are arguably only starting to get it right again this last 2 or 3 months.

Meanwhile Liverpool may now have passed their 100 game cycle and could need another season or so to build back up again - the next couple of months should tell.

Edited by Territorial - 22 Jan 2021 at 3:15pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 3:22pm
If you look at Kloops record at Mainz and Dortmund - they have a 2 year peak and then a decline before he leaves.

Klopp may win a trophy this year but I think the players are burnt out and his tactics have been too predictable.
90 shots on target and 1 goal.
1 win against the bottom 6 teams too.

In the CL, the opposition are not going to park the bus, and will come and play their own game. This will give Liverpool some freedom to allow them to play their own game - and could have success here (they'd need to avoid Athletico again!)

Edited by horsebox - 22 Jan 2021 at 3:24pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 3:41pm
Liverpool fans can correct me but my memory is they hobbled through Jan and Feb last year - winning games but with the tempo and superiority of the 1st 20 games - with the defeat to AM not unpredictable. Same thing happening this year?

Edited by Dalymount79 - 22 Jan 2021 at 3:41pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Liverpool fans can correct me but my memory is they hobbled through Jan and Feb last year - winning games but with the tempo and superiority of the 1st 20 games - with the defeat to AM not unpredictable. Same thing happening this year?

They won 19 games in the league on the trot and then lost to Watford!
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13841385138613871388 1459>
  Share Topic