You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liverpool FC thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11431144114511461147 1460>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

You used up your luck in September, when your keeper got Mane off.

Indeed.

Getting injured in a challenge isn't itself a reason for the other person to be sent off. 
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Getting injured in a challenge isn't itself a reason for the other person to be sent off. 

I just find it bizarre that someone could claim it was the keeper's fault Mané got sent off. If you have any issue at all with the decision the only person you could blame is the ref. The keeper clearly got absolutely milled out of it.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 5:21pm
Mane in September - correct red card call
Mane and Ederson last night - correct yellow card calls 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 5:25pm

I just find it bizarre that someone could claim it was the keeper's fault Mané got sent off. If you have any issue at all with the decision the only person you could blame is the ref. The keeper clearly got absolutely milled out of it.

To be fair, I wouldn't blame the keeper at all. But I would blame the ref. If that challenge is a red card on that Saturday, it should be a red card every Saturday. But it isn't.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Mane in September - correct red card call
Mane and Ederson last night - correct yellow card calls 

Mane was very unlucky with the red card, but it had to be given as a red. Borussias point on the resulting injury not meaning that a card is warranted based on that - that was definitely the case years ago, where you could follow through or leave one on a player once you've gotten to the ball first. Those days are gone though and now there's a big responsibility on players to have a duty of care for the other players on the pitch. So now when a referee sees Mane clearly with eyes on the ball, but catches the keeper in the head with a boot and the keeper lying on the floor, it will always be a red nowadays. 

Actually not sure why Mane got a yellow last night though, he simply slipped over did he not? Don't there was much contact at all with Otamendi either, thought Otamendis rolling around on the floor was disgraceful carry on. Like Otamendi as a player, but he must go down rolling around for a minute in every game he plays feigning injury.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 5:34pm

To be fair, I wouldn't blame the keeper at all. But I would blame the ref. If that challenge is a red card on that Saturday, it should be a red card every Saturday. But it isn't.

That is simply down to the abysmal standard of refereeing these days. Just look at some of the calls in the Barca Roma, or Pool City ties. Just awful refereeing, and these guys are of the highest level. Dzeko was dragged clearly to the ground by Pique last night, the ref didn't seem to want to give the penalty even though he was very close to the play, luckily the 5th official did. The standard is just mindboggingly awful amongst all levels of refs these days.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Gavintheslob Gavintheslob wrote:

Still Buzzing after the win
Pool fans should be. This was some win, 5-1 over 2 legs against a fantastic City side. If City had gone through, I think the only team I'd be wary of putting money on them against would have been Real. City are a top class side, so to win by that score over 2 legs is something else. As for the semis, I'd love to see Liverpool play Bayern. I think it would be a brilliant tie. I know nearly all Liverpool fans will want Roma, but I'd love to see them get Bayern. Have they ever played Bayern in knock out European Cup football, I can't recall offhand.

Liverpool FC - FC Bayern European Cup semi-final April 1981, 0-0 at Anfield, 1-1 in Munich. Howard Gayle came on as a sub, ran Bayern ragged for an hour or so and then had to be substituted himself before he got sent off.

Edited by Mulvanystrasse - 11 Apr 2018 at 5:45pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

Pool fans should be. This was some win, 5-1 over 2 legs against a fantastic City side. If City had gone through, I think the only team I'd be wary of putting money on them against would have been Real. City are a top class side, so to win by that score over 2 legs is something else. As for the semis, I'd love to see Liverpool play Bayern. I think it would be a brilliant tie. I know nearly all Liverpool fans will want Roma, but I'd love to see them get Bayern. Have they ever played Bayern in knock out European Cup football, I can't recall offhand.

Liverpool FC - FC Bayern European Cup semi-final April 1981, 0-0 at Anfield, 1-1 in Munich. Howard Gayle came on as a sub, ran Bayern ragged for an hour or so and then had to be substituted himself before he got sent off.

Thumbs Up

37 years since they met in knockout CL football so. Would be a great tie I think
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 6:33pm

Thumbs Up

37 years since they met in knockout CL football so. Would be a great tie I think

Was talking to my cousin in Munich this morning, was hoping for another Heynckes - Klopp final like 2013.

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 6:39pm

The ref looked at the keeper and made his decision on that, not the challenge itself. Most such challenges get a yellow, the keeper made sure it was not. Hence the uproar at the time, and the scoreline. 

He was back on the subs bench by the end of the game iirc. 
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The ref looked at the keeper and made his decision on that, not the challenge itself. Most such challenges get a yellow, the keeper made sure it was not. Hence the uproar at the time, and the scoreline. 

He was back on the subs bench by the end of the game iirc. 

From the top of my head i can remember bot RVP (for Arsenal) & Nani getting straight reds in the CL for high boots but on those occasions the ball was coming over their shoulders and they stuck out a foot to catch it midair, unlike Mane who was running at the keeper and made a stupid challenge. So no, most such challenges don't just get a yellow.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 6:52pm
With eight stitches in his face 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Yes I was critical of him and I stand by my criticism too.

I think he is doing a very good job and is currently assembling a very strong squad.

I think he will win the league next year too .

Perfect time for this to make an appearance, bang on time as well Horsey 

I'd much rather be watching Liverpool than United that is for sure.

So would I LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 9:30pm

Think it was Ray Kennedy with the late equaliser in Munich.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 11:55am
Bayern and Liverpool in the Semis would be a great contest. I'd prefer if Real got Liverpool or Bayenr though as it would mean a better chance of Real not winning it. 

Hopefully Roma or Liverpool can win it, but I'll stick with Bayern as Champions. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Gavintheslob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It’s Nessa actually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavintheslob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 9:34am
Draw today, Roma the obvious choice but will take anyone at this stage
Its very frustrating being a Slob
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 9:42am

I'll be honest and admit that I think Liverpool are in bonus territory now - especially when you look at the hard work they were making of the group stage ie spunking away leads home and away against Sevilla thanks to comically bad defensive mistakes and then wasting enough chances away to Moscow to win 3 or 4 matches but coming away with just a draw thanks to Karius letting a shot in the middle of his net (Embarrassed)!  At that time I found it hard to imagine Liverpool even getting out of the group, never mind make the semis!

But things are obviously different now.  They haven't missed Coutinho and the defence now looks more competent since Van Dijk's arrival (dropping Moreno has also helped, never mind Andy Robertson nailing that position down).  Anything's possible now. Clap

Edited by ConorMac77 - 13 Apr 2018 at 9:43am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 9:55am

Bayern have the league won and Real have top 4 secured.
Both those teams (and Liverpool) can rest players for the 1/2 finals. The winner will come from this group.

Roma are still in a battle for 4th so don’t have that luxury.
Everybody will want them. Still won’t be easy tho.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11431144114511461147 1460>
  Share Topic