You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Losing Weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 133>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 3:38pm
A personal trainer used say to me that “you can’t out run a bad diet”, and I believe that mentality. Also, HB is totally right to focus on the damage done by sugar. Modern food demands that you keep a close eye on sugar content in foods where you wouldn’t expect a high content. The high content in biscuits and soft drinks is well known, but dairy products etc can amaze.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Was back up to 17st 1lb at the start of the year. Completely forgot about diet after our baby was born. Been back at slimming world for a few weeks now lost 24lb so far (15st 5lb) hoping to get down to 13st 13lb by Nov for my sisters wedding. It's hard when if I'm good all week i'll lose a couple of pounds but if I have a night with a few pints then I will put on 4lb. f**king getting old is sh*t.

I’m in that boat at the minute
New baby born two weeks ago. With lack of sleep, no energy to do exercise, and eating convenience food as well as countless buns/biscuits when visitors come round, can say I’m well out of shape the last couple of weeks 
Ah don't worry bout the first few months, everything goes out the window. I found it tough about the 2 year mark, had a lot of problems getting my lads to sleep which resulted in a lot of frustration every evening, and reaching for the biscuit tin. Brain got fairly stuck to a sugary diet and now craves it far worse than before
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

A personal trainer used say to me that “you can’t out run a bad diet”, and I believe that mentality.
Totally agree. You can do a 5k on a saturday, burn 4/500 calories, then that evening feel like you've earned a 1500 calorie pizza and 4 beers. Quickly undoes all the goodness
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

How does drinking lots of water help you lose weight?

You burn off calories getting up off your balloon knot every 10 minutes and walking to the sh*tter for a wizz.

LOL

Doing 5km runs each night for the last 6 days myself but I haven't restricted my diet.  Probably wasting my timeLOL

I tried that, loads of running but no change to diet, lost a few pounds at the start but then nothing.
You need to exercise and cut back on food/drink.
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Was back up to 17st 1lb at the start of the year. Completely forgot about diet after our baby was born. Been back at slimming world for a few weeks now lost 24lb so far (15st 5lb) hoping to get down to 13st 13lb by Nov for my sisters wedding. It's hard when if I'm good all week i'll lose a couple of pounds but if I have a night with a few pints then I will put on 4lb. f**king getting old is sh*t.

New baby born two weeks ago. With lack of sleep, no energy to do exercise, and eating convenience food as well as countless buns/biscuits when visitors come round, can say I’m well out of shape the last couple of weeks 
Ah don't worry bout the first few months, everything goes out the window. I found it tough about the 2 year mark, had a lot of problems getting my lads to sleep which resulted in a lot of frustration every evening, and reaching for the biscuit tin. Brain got fairly stuck to a sugary diet and now craves it far worse than before

Congrats Baggio btw. Big smile

I've not been to the gym since the little man was born, been trying to take him out for long walks in the pram to at least get off my arse.

Totally worth all the sleeplessness though.

I've lost some weight with the diet alone but I don't think i could do a pressup at this stage as I've no exercise at all. Felt fitter when I was fatter.

Edited by Flanno7hi - 28 Aug 2019 at 4:21pm
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 4:22pm

A personal trainer used say to me that “you can’t out run a bad diet”, and I believe that mentality.
Totally agree. You can do a 5k on a saturday, burn 4/500 calories, then that evening feel like you've earned a 1500 calorie pizza and 4 beers. Quickly undoes all the goodness

Disagree. It varies from person to person.

Some people are born with slow metabolisms, some people have abnormal metabolisms.

I'm the latter and the people who fit into the former seriously dislike me for when I'm scoffing that Big Mac and the calorie intake is gone by half the day, girls generally go berserk if you tell em that too.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:00pm
But that Big Mac may be the only “treat” of the day or the week. If you don’t snack on sugary foods, don’t drink soft drinks, generally avoid white bread, drink spirits with low sugar mixers, or neat, it’s not to do with abnormal metabolism, it is just a sensible lifestyle.

Now if you tell me that you eat all that, on top of several Big Macs a week, and not jump on a treadmill I’d be amazed. But if you do, that exercise binge in Poland may have something to do with it.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:04pm

This!

In the early days, food becomes functional as you try to come to terms with erratic nights. Scrambling eggs in the morning, or peeling vegetables for dinner becomes less of a priority, especially if you don’t have help at the ready from grandparents etc.

But, I can assure you, life returns to normal relatively quickly. Especially when the baby moves to solids, and can eat what you eat. At that point you’re making good, healthy food, and when bedtime routine settles you can start having runs and gym sessions again.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:07pm

But that Big Mac may be the only “treat” of the day or the week. If you don’t snack on sugary foods, don’t drink soft drinks, generally avoid white bread, drink spirits with low sugar mixers, or neat, it’s not to do with abnormal metabolism, it is just a sensible lifestyle.

Now if you tell me that you eat all that, on top of several Big Macs a week, and not jump on a treadmill I’d be amazed. But if you do, that exercise binge in Poland may have something to do with it.

That was uncalled for LOL

I eat alot of sh*t, infact I eat 5 meals a day. The 2nd meal is always the not-so-athletic meal, more grease than John Travolta but when I'm not at work I think I average about burning 4000 cals a day.

Not the greatest runner in the world (but definitely the best walker) smoking 20 fags a day is probably the biggest factor in that 
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:10pm
Only advice I can give on the baby thing is to try make small changes to your day. Cycle to work if possible, or get off the bus/DART a few stops earlier to get a walk in, go to the gym at lunch time so it's not impacting your morning/evening time with the new arrival. These small changes make a massive difference.

For food, I just blocked out 2 hours on a Sunday and batch cooked a load of curries/chilli/bolognese etc and froze them. Dead handy for re-heating during the week as the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was cook.

If you had the money, you could also use one of the meal delivery services that send you out your lunch/dinners every week. Again, all healthy and convenient, but pricey
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:29pm
Thumbs Up

Congrats Baggio btw. Big smile

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

That was uncalled for LOL

I eat alot of sh*t, infact I eat 5 meals a day. The 2nd meal is always the not-so-athletic meal, more grease than John Travolta but when I'm not at work I think I average about burning 4000 cals a day.

Not the greatest runner in the world (but definitely the best walker) smoking 20 fags a day is probably the biggest factor in that 

Sorry Coyne, couldn’t resist!

But you are burning significant calories. I think that makes a major difference, especially if you are burning at that level. And walking certainly had its place, and people often don’t view general, non exercise based walking as having little or no utility from an exercise point of view, when in fact it does. I was amazed o learn I average 5k per day on a day where I just do my commute.
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 8:54pm
Two weeks shy of 18months and no that time have lost almost 7.5 stone. Eat well and often and watch portion size. Drink loads of water. Avoid sugar and processed foods. Ok to have odd few drinks and even chocolate and desserts but avoid fast foods. Do some form of exercise every day. Get enough sleep but don’t oversleep. A little prep and planning and just motivate yourself every day.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 8:58pm
I've done those 7 day military diets a load of times and typically lose 10 to 14lbs, most of that in the first 3 or 4 days. It is really tough and basically consists of a boiled egg and a grapefruit for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and lean meat and salad for dinner.

I'm a binge eater and drinker but when I am not gorging, I do watch calories, avoid bread, and always drink black coffee.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 9:51pm
People who avoid wholemeal bread are crazy.

Extremely high in carbs but contains proteins, fibres and calcium, it's an easy yes for me. I eat a loaf once every 2-3 days.

Edited by coyne - 28 Aug 2019 at 9:52pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

People who avoid wholemeal bread are crazy.

Extremely high in carbs but contains proteins, fibres and calcium, it's an easy yes for me. I eat a loaf once every 2-3 days.
Surely you would be better spreading it out over the duration?
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 10:10pm
People who avoid breads are dopes. Plenty of breads are as nutritious as anything you can eat.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 10:25pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 133>
  Share Topic