You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Ward

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 46>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Ireland's most improved player. 

Defo. That's not even giving him his dues as it wouldn't be hard for him to be our most improved player given how bad he was a few years ago. He is immeasurably better now and I have to say that as one of the people criticizing him, he has made me eat my words. He's doesn't resemble Paolo Maldini in his pomp but Ward is a good solid option at left back at the moment and has been for the last year or so. Long may his improvement continue. 
El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:28am
I have been critical of wardy. must say he was excellent there on friday. alot more solid than he used to be
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:02am
I was of the thumbs down brigade when he got the nod in the past,but I think its fair to say he's 
first choice LB now on merit.
Credit where its due.Thumbs Up
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:03am
I thought Friday might well have been his best appearance for Ireland tbh. He's obviously a fairly limited footballer but he's really grown into that position over the past 18 months or so. It's particularly impressive when you consider he started out as a striker - his defensive instincts have really improved.
ncafc87 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncafc87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:04am
Massively improved over the past few years. Thumbs Up Lad has been reborn.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I thought Friday might well have been his best appearance for Ireland tbh. He's obviously a fairly limited footballer but he's really grown into that position over the past 18 months or so. It's particularly impressive when you consider he started out as a striker - his defensive instincts have really improved.

That's often forgotten by most. Getting consistent football in the one position at club level over a prolonged period has been of huge importance for his improvement. One of the few guaranteed starters now v Austria.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:24am
Agreed & I'd be a big critic of his too. Did very well on Friday, needs to keep doing it now
Some people just deserve a slap
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:24pm
Looks a real senior pro now. Been very impressed by his temperament and consistency in the past 18 months. Glad that is allows us to use Brady further up the pitch
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 11:43pm
Hes def a player that has improved a lot. If he could just use the ball a little bettter in a green shirt we would be laughing.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 4:37pm
Burnley just signed left-back, Charlie Taylor, from Leeds on a four year deal.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 8:45pm
That's wardy out of the team

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Doubt it Cit , not how Dyche works really as i expect Taylor to be on the bench, Wardy will start at Chelsea on the first game of the season  . Taylor will get a game in the League Cup but i would say he has been bought as cover for now . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Doubt it Cit , not how Dyche works really as i expect Taylor to be on the bench, Wardy will start at Chelsea on the first game of the season  . Taylor will get a game in the League Cup but i would say he has been bought as cover for now . 

Yep, not a chance with his consistency for Burnley. Hes not just going to outright replace him with a relatively inexperienced youngster.

Wardy is soon to be 32, Id imagine Dyche sees Taylor as his long term replacement and will ease him in and eventually reduce Ward to the bench as back up. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 1:18am
Taylor is a very talented left-back, but I'd agree that the position is Wards to lose.
We're decent enough..
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 3:09pm
will see, but wouldn't be so confident

experienced...mm, made over 90 appearances for leeds and is 23

id say he could have went to alot higher calibre clubs to sit on the bench for league cup games

Edited by Citizen - 07 Jul 2017 at 3:11pm

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 5:42pm
Ward was one of Burnleys best players last season. Some people on here wont give the lad any credit no matter how well he plays.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Ward was one of Burnleys best players last season. Some people on here wont give the lad any credit no matter how well he plays.

It's alright giving him credit but Burnley have signed a decent left back and he will have a tough battle on his hand keeping his starting spot.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

I have given him credit, but I will be shocked if he is still first choice left back by the end of September. Let's wait and see

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 46>
  Share Topic