Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stephen Ward
Posted By: Sloop John G
Subject: Stephen Ward
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 7:09am

Ward enjoys home comforts

By Miguel Delaney

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

WHEN Jack Charlton first took over the Irish squad, he realised there was an immediate problem for team spirit.

As soon as training finished in Dublin, the Irish-born boys would immediately depart for all corners of the country to visit their families — which left the English natives "twiddling their thumbs".

You get the feeling that wouldn’t quite be a problem with Stephen Ward if the same practice was in place now though. His family home is a couple of minutes away from the team’s base in Malahide.

And that has naturally meant more than a few visits from the clan.

"My ma nips down to the hotel more than I go up to see her," he says.

The sight of Mrs Ward coming down to visit her emigrant son is one the Irish squad might become accustomed to. Because, after two years of having his fine Wolves form overlooked, Ward appears to have very quickly become a fixture in the squad.

On Monday, Giovanni Trapattoni hinted about deploying the versatile Wolves man in midfield in the future.

But Ward, of course, "would play anywhere".

"I played there for Wolves. I’ve played most positions for Wolves. Right-back and in goals are the only two I have not. So I’m a Jack of all trades I think."

In spite of that, there is one very specific long-standing role which Ward can now justifiably target. With Kevin Kilbane’s long service at left-back eventually going to have to end some time, the Premier League regular is ideally placed to claim the position. Starting tonight against Croatia.

"Left-back is definitely my number one. Yes, of course you want to make yourself an option. For me, this season, it’s important that I get off to a good start. If I can nail down that spot for Wolves and play left-back regularly in the Premier League, then that is the only way to be a success like Kevin.

"First and foremost I am in the squad so I want to do as well as I can and make sure the manager knows I am an option. If I can do that, then hopefully I can stake my claim in that position. But I am under no illusions. Kevin has been fantastic and you cannot buy that experience in these types of games.

"Things can change in football. You’ve got to make sure you’re there, work as hard as you can.

"If Kevin doesn’t play, you’ve got to let the manager know he can trust you to throw you in."

Ward certainly gave that impression on his debut against Northern Ireland in May, scoring and putting in a fine performance.

And that was all the more impressive given the breathless last-day survival he endured with Wolves two days before.

"I went into the Ireland games on a high after staying up so for me it was just nice to be there and to keep playing.

"People were trying to keep things calm (at Wolves) but it was tense. Every game was vital and we were running out of them. I don’t think our fans would forgive us if we did it like that again. Although it was tough, I think it will stand to us. With signings we’ve made, we are a stronger side this year.

"Mick (McCarthy) is probably the happiest he’s been with the squad of players. We’ve had a good pre-season.

"Kevin (Doyle) looks fit and strong. It was a loss not to have him but he looks fully recovered."

And Ward himself now looks fully immersed in the international set-up. Like a home from home.

Irish Examiner

Replies:
Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 9:45am
Really rate him, good article. Hopefully he does well tonight and starts next month!

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 9:56am
Originally posted by wrestler313 wrestler313 wrote:

Really rate him, good article. Hopefully he does well tonight and starts next month!

Spot on....

He's proved himself in the EPL , now lets hope Trap trusts him at LB when the qualifiers come around

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: traphasntaclue2
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 1:25pm
please have a stormer tonite

Posted By: ericdogg
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 5:27pm

Had a very good game defensively. Was one of the better players for Ireland tonite

-------------
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 5:35pm
Agreed. 5th good game for Ireland in a row. He's already had more good games for Ireland than Kilbane.

I'm exaggerating but my point stands. Everyone has seen enough to know that Ward should start next month.

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 5:35pm
If he changes is surname to Kilbane he will be a banker to start! Wink

Posted By: traphasntaclue2
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 5:42pm
if trap doesnt pick ward to start v slovakia id rather he left the position vacant rather than play goofey!

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 5:46pm
Right now he is the closest thing we have to a natural left back in the squad so really should get the nod at least against slovakia. I think he impressed Trap tonite meself

-------------
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1

Posted By: Trapcandoit
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 5:47pm
Good game Stephen- Man of the Match tonight and will be so again many timesClapClap

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 5:56pm
If he played well tonight and was MOTM then Trap needs to be strongly considering him as a starter from now on, no excuses lads, if he is proving his worth then he should be starting.

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 7:03pm
He would be my choice at lb. Forms a good partnership with hunty which is no doubt helped by them playing at the same club. McGeady will prob be in for hunt though against slovakia but that shouldnt hinder wards performance.

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 7:31pm
ledge prob my motm but well played ward and shud be lb against slovaks

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 8:37pm
He shud be lb against Slovakia. That was the case before tonite, and it certainly is the case now. I reckon its a 50/50 call now. Trap has a decision to make. I think he has been given a welcome selection headache and he appeared pleased that Ward stepped up to the mark tonight. He's been noncommittal in his remarks about Kilbane this week, but its still a 50/50 call I'd say. Trap makes a lot of his decisions based on what he sees on the training ground and imo he'll make the call about lb at the last possible moment.

Posted By: JH91
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 10:47pm
As much as I love Wardy, I thought he was poor tonight.
Good few slack passes and caught of position a few times.
Very good in the air though and two good clearences off his far post.
Seemed to drop deep a bit when Croatia had the ball out wide and let St Ledger press(dunno if that was tactics or not)
Interesting to see who will start against Slovakia. Can't see Wardy playing away to Russia so expect to see Kilbane in for the two.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 2:34am

I didnt think he had a great game this evening, gave the ball away and got caught out a few times. However a lot of the Irish team played sloppy which maybe down to match fitness.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Huggybeer
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 4:48am
Defensively V solid which is the 1st priority for your back line,
But V poor in possession and going forward, keane screaming at him to overlap a few times

id like to see more of clark in that position in the premier league

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 4:58am
At best, little more than a 50/50 call over Kilbane, which is disappointing. 

Of all the candidates Wilson has the best potential for us at LB, but the little fecker needs to start showing up uninjured!

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 4:58am
Ward played very well tonight and should have done enough to dislodge Kilbane.

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 6:02am
Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

As much as I love Wardy, I thought he was poor tonight.
Good few slack passes and caught of position a few times.
Very good in the air though and two good clearences off his far post.
Seemed to drop deep a bit when Croatia had the ball out wide and let St Ledger press(dunno if that was tactics or not)
Interesting to see who will start against Slovakia. Can't see Wardy playing away to Russia so expect to see Kilbane in for the two.

I agree. He looked a little bit off colour and their right midfielder had a lot of space near our box a good few times. But then again, nobody was brilliant and it was a very cagey, kick about kind of affair, and I'd still have confidence in him if he was given the nod against Slovakia which to me anyway is a no brainer! I hope he gets to play. I'd feel a lot safer than if Kilbane was there

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 7:27am
I still think hes a bit loose defensively

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 7:47am
Originally posted by IrishPride IrishPride wrote:

I still think hes a bit loose defensively

Fair point...

He still has way more in his locker than Kilbane at this stage , defo deserve's to start against Slovakia imo....

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:54am
Looks as though Ward may have earned himself a starting place against Slovakia
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/trapattoni-praises-ireland-defenders-516169.html - http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/trapattoni-praises-ireland-defenders-516169.html

Asked if Ward had done enough to justify a start next month, Trapattoni said: "Yes, I think so, because he showed good personality against a very dangerous opponent.

"Particularly in the first half, he played very well. I think after this test, he has confirmed we can have trust in him."

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: BaileNuisBhoy
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 10:50am
Still think he will go with Kilbane, hope i'm wrong.

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 12:05pm
kevin might have more perrrr-seee-nallll-eeee-teeeeee stillLOL (although unfortunately this isn't a laughing matter)

Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 12:38pm
funny how trap didn't fancy him for ages, and now he's proved he can mix it with the big boys. Glad we're finally seeing a competent replacement for kilbane. great servant to irish football but we can't take a risk in these big two games and I think ward will be more than up to the challenge.

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 12:41pm
Kevin Kilbane. The bane of Irish fans everywhere. Pun intended.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:19pm
Ward probably deserves his place v slovakia although i wouldnt be crying if killer got picked over him. A more attacking lb will probably be more suited to the slovakia game as they will probably sit and try and hit us on the counter. Ward's superior pace and attacking ability makes him more suited to the game imo. Still think trap will stick with kilbane though

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:40pm
I dont believe that Ward is the answer to our left back problem, However I would like to see him against the Slovakian's and Russians. He may prove me wrong..

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:45pm
Trap is f**kin gas "personality against a dangerous opponent" LOL

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:53pm
Sol-idi-ty.

Posted By: Absolutely Use
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:13pm

Ward is going in stature with every game, if he starts for Wolves this season then he should be a cert, but i think Trap will go for Kilbane

-------------
Say nothing till you hear more

Posted By: MaxWell
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Absolutely Use Absolutely Use wrote:

Ward is going in stature with every game, if he starts for Wolves this season then he should be a cert, but i think Trap will go for Kilbane

He wont beat elokobi to the LB spot unfortunatly, and now doyle is back his place upfront maybe gone too

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 6:46am
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0812/1224302300576.html - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0812/1224302300576.html

Ward edging ahead of Kilbane in race to start in September.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 7:23am
http://www.joe.ie/football/football-features/five-irish-players-facing-make-or-break-seasons-0014920-1 - http://www.joe.ie/football/football-features/five-irish-players-facing-make-or-break-seasons-0014920-1

2. Stephen Ward (Wolves)

Ward enjoyed a breakthrough season with Wolves last year, when he featured in all but four of the club’s Premier League games – including 27 starts. Irish fans will now be hoping that the progress is carried into the international arena over the next few months.

Kevin Kilbane, for all his attributes, is not now, never has been and never will be an international class left back. Ward is the man in the best position to take up the mantle. He started three of the end-of-season internationals for Ireland but Kilbane was the trusted lieutenant for the only competitive fixture in June, the win over Macedonia which kept us in a strong position for qualification for Euro 2012.

“Zinedine” is long enough outside the Premier League now that he’s got used to life in the lower divisions while Ward, just turned 26, is on the way up. He needs a good start to the season with Wolves so that he can be given the nod by Trap for the final four Euro qualifiers, and the famously conservative Italian is seemingly ready to invest his faith. He said this week, “You saw that we finished last season with Ward. Every year we change things when it is possible to change. When we are certain that a new player gives us confidence and trust then we can change it. We need this situation, we need younger strength.”

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 10:09am
Goal

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Justice No. 1
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 11:55am
Was meant to be a cracker as well

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 1:37pm
He's on fire. Could be a great season for him! Thumbs Up

-------------
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 7:55pm
Taken from the Wolves forum
Ward – Superb today, I expected Elokobi to get the nod, but Mick clearly got it totally right here. Defended very well, distribution was far better than it can be, including one superb ball to Jarvis in the second half, was good in the air up against Emerton, and linked well with both Jarvis and Hunt. Ward is a far better footballer than he is given credit for. His goal was superbly taken, fantastic technique. Out of the players that we were linked with, or we could have bought this summer for left back, I’m certain not one of them would have played as well as Ward did today. The best player on the pitch. 9/10 MOTM

Posted By: kelvin
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 8:30pm
Lovely goal from him and my mate who was at the game (wolves fan) said Ward was faultless throughout. Apparently the fans were cheering every time he got the ball need in the closing part of the game. Great to hear, we really need a true successor to Kilbane to step up. Too many people failing to make that final stage. Clap

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 8:47pm
Absolutely fantastic goal by Ward. Excellent technique.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 8:56pm
[QUOTE=Sloop John G]Absolutely fantastic goal by Ward. Excellent technique. [/QUOTE

He's really coming of age and defo becoming a very handy EPL class player Smile So happy days for him in an Ireland shirt if he gets the nod in september Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 11:26am
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/08/15/wolves-boss-hails-stephen-ward/ - http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/08/15/wolves-boss-hails-stephen-ward/

McCarthy praises Ward.

Posted By: danny10tot
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 1:27pm
Hopefully he keeps his head down and nails that left back spot for both Ireland and wolves.

-------------
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

George Best

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 8:17pm
Wardy was unlucky not to win a penalty against Villa. 

Posted By: Ciano316
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 8:50pm
Great player & good to have in the Fantasy Football team Thumbs Up

-------------
I Love Loft.
twitter - @Ciano316

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 2:26pm
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/08/31/stephen-ward-shines-in-the-face-of-adversity/ - http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/08/31/stephen-ward-shines-in-the-face-of-adversity/

Good article.

Posted By: SteviesGranny
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 4:13pm
Stephen had a tough time of it tonight but it was certainly the toughest international match he has played in his career by far.

I am sure it will stand him in good stead in the future.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 4:52pm

Killer a shoe in for rest of campaign.

Wardy ovelwhelmed by the occasions.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 4:56pm
sh*te!

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by SteviesGranny SteviesGranny wrote:

Stephen had a tough time of it tonight but it was certainly the toughest international match he has played in his career by far.

I am sure it will stand him in good stead in the future.
Thumbs Up+1

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 4:59pm
He had a bad game but he will learn from it.

-------------

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Killer a shoe in for rest of campaign.

Wardy ovelwhelmed by the occasions.

Killers played well in most of the games so far in Qualifying but when he makes one mistake he is automatically "too old" and "a great servant but needs to move on" etc

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:03pm
Was only his 2nd competitive match in fairness to him, every young player in international football has had early baptisms of fire like that so tonight woulda stood him in good stead.  Should retain his place next time out.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:05pm
I tracked him quite a bit last Friday. His positional sense was often quite poor. 
The Slovakian winger came in three or four times in the first half on his blind side when he was caught ball watching or getting too close to the CB's man.

He's a decent tackler, a good header of the ball and generally his distribution is better than what he showed tonight.

However, unless he starts learning where to be, he's going to struggle to keep his position for us.

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 6:06pm

He was all over the shop at times last night. Maybe he was overwhelmed but I’d certainly give the lad the benefit of the doubt and put it down to nerves/ being overwhelmed by the occasion.

Mick rates him highly and he’s been doing very well in the EPL over the past year so he is obviously a very decent player. He is still young and inexperienced; he will come good, give him time.   

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 6:10pm
Id rather him there than Kilbane all the same Thumbs Up

Personally because we were under so much pressure Dunne & Given wouldnt of had time to talk to Ward & tell him what he should be doing and where he should be more!!!

Against Andorra O'Shea and St Ledger will be back , the game will be played at a much slower pace and we'll be in control hopefully , so im sure Ward will look at tonights game again and put what he didnt do today into practice in the next game....Sure thats what gaining experience is all about and look he's played his part in two clean sheets in two huge games so it cant be all that bad

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 3:39am

Yeah, he was shocking last night with his positioning, and it is easy to say he's rubbish and should be dropped. But I cast my mind back to when Kenny Cunningham started. He was rubbish too, and if I remember correctly was once voted the premiership's worst player....but he went on to be captain!!! I'll give the lad the benefit of the doubt, but I think it is important to get cover in too. Like Clarke for example. Just in case

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 3:52am
I never thought i'd be calling for the return of Kilbane, but he's a lot steadier than what Ward has been over the past 2 games

Hopefully Cunningham and Clark can make the step up to international football cos it doesn't seem that Wards the answer

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 4:17am
I still have never seen Wardy as a LB. I know he's been there for Wolves more so than any other position but you have to remember that was never his natural position. He was originally a striker then played out of the left wing, and was even bought as a winger for Wolves until he put in a few good performances deputising at LB. If you ask him where he'd rather play you can be guarenteed he wouldn't say LB.

His positioning was shocking last night and it could have cost us a goal or two which isnt good enough in a game that big. He had a great chance and loads of time to put in a cross in around the 88th minute as well which he ballooned, looked very nervous al night in my opinion. 

I would be hopeful that Cunningham comes back from injury and straight back into a bit of form because unfortunately for Wardy I think that he is the better option to take over from Killer.

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Posted By: Dunne23
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 5:05am
I thought he did ok defensively against the Slovaks, but he was poor going up front and defending yesterday. His crossing was so poor, and he's too predictable with that left peg. He'll learn from that though Thumbs Up

Posted By: Cotsy
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:39am
Nerves got to him big style i think. Some of the criticism he has got has been way ott imo, his distribution was awful last night which is surprising as thats usually his strong point, give him time, 2 clean sheets like, swear we were hammered in both games. He'll come good and his ability to play in 3 or 4 different positions should see him in the squad for years to come.

-------------
Bohs Till I Die

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:44am
Poor games, but the talent is there - the Andorra game is a good one next up. But young players will have bad games they need time and patience.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:48am
Hope he will come good but over the last 2 games he has been poor as was said before andorra game could do him the world of good

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Cotsy Cotsy wrote:

Nerves got to him big style i think. Some of the criticism he has got has been way ott imo, his distribution was awful last night which is surprising as thats usually his strong point, give him time, 2 clean sheets like, swear we were hammered in both games. He'll come good and his ability to play in 3 or 4 different positions should see him in the squad for years to come.

I do agree with you in sentiment about he is a defender therefore 2 clean sheets stands to his credit. Which it does. But unfortunately by going walkies into the box all the time and leaving left full empty, meant McGeady had to track back all the time which severely limited us going forward. So yeah he kept another clean sheet, but at a cost.

Although I have no doubt this has been noticed and will be drilled into him. So I'm sure he will learn from this and grow.

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:56am
give him a chance FFS.

Lads were writing Kilbanes obituary last thursday and now after 2 games they are writing the obituary for Ward.

Don't forget we have a record 7 clean sheets in a row with Ward playing in some of them, against  Croatia, Russia, Slovakia, Italy, Scotland.

Posted By: Dano
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 8:11am
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

give him a chance FFS.

Lads were writing Kilbanes obituary last thursday and now after 2 games they are writing the obituary for Ward.

Don't forget we have a record 7 clean sheets in a row with Ward playing in some of them, against  Croatia, Russia, Slovakia, Italy, Scotland.

No thanks to Ward, we're writing an obituary for Ward as he was shocking on both games, that was the worst back to back defensive performance I've seen in a long time. I was in favor of him starting but I was wrong, without McGeady putting in a super shift we would have lost.

Now we're all tired of Kilbane, he can be liable for a very visible gaffe every 3 or 4 games but that aside he keeps to his position pretty well, is almost never skinned, has plenty of pace, a threat from set pieces and has a decent cross on him. We need a replacement for him as this will be his last campaign but Ward has shown.e is up to it

We have three other options for left back. I was really impressed with Stephen Kelly yesterday so I think it might be worth looking at O'Shea at left back in the next game or so, otherwise Clark and Cunningham are our hopes.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 1:47pm
Ward is definitely not the answer for LB.
Just watching the Slovakia match after I recorded it and he just makes too many mistakes to justify any starting position.
His crossing is absolutely shocking.

Either Greg Cunningham or Marc Wilson should be tried here.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 3:31am
Just watched the Russia match and Ward is one of the poorest players I have seen in a green jersey.
His positions sense is terrible. McGeady had to cover him on a few occasions. Even when caught out he didnt appear to care and just jogged back to get into position.

His distribution of the  ball would not be accepable at schoolboy level.
Ireland also had a number of good build up's where the final ball into the box was left to Ward and he fooked it up EVERY time.

I would have been one of the ones calling for Ward to be given a chance at Killers expense.
But he is absolutely useless.
If you dont believe me watch the match again.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Godot
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 9:29am
Goal.com's ratings of his performance against Spurs last Saturday. Supposedly their best player that day

Quote Stephen Ward 7.0

Never allowed Bale to go outside him, instead showed him into the posse of midfielders. Only error was being beaten by Walker

Clap

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Godot Godot wrote:

Goal.com's ratings of his performance against Spurs last Saturday. Supposedly their best player that day

Quote Stephen Ward 7.0

Never allowed Bale to go outside him, instead showed him into the posse of midfielders. Only error was being beaten by Walker

Clap

For 1 of the goals......

Posted By: magnumpi
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 5:06am
was at the game, he was OK. did nothing spectacular.

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 9:46am
Talk of him playing up front for Wolves tomorrow!

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 8:58am
Just scoredBig smile

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 9:01am
Tidy finish too!! 

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 9:08am
Gwan

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Drummerboy
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 3:31pm
Had a difficult afternoon according to the commentary on radio.

Posted By: Mr Marbles
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Drummerboy Drummerboy wrote:

Had a difficult afternoon according to the commentary on radio.

Alright man was in the West upper today for the FAI cup final and there is a great photo with you in it  on the wall when robbie scored in Paris .

I am also in it looking all kinds of Cool

Posted By: TheBeachBoysReunion
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 1:26pm
Great assist by Ward for Ebanks-Blake's equaliser. Ward supporting Jarvis out wide, Jarvis slightly overhits the pass but Ward keeps it in and delivers an inch perfect pass for Ebanks-Blake (even he couldn't f**k it up).

Good game. As I was saying, Ward is doing really well on the left with Jarvis. Hoolahan is having a really good game for Norwich. Hunt missed a sitter earlier on for Wolves but then several minutes later, Ebanks-Blake wasted a chance after selfishly not passing to Hunt, who was in a better position.

Posted By: Dunne23
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 2:45pm
He played well, although I'd questioning his positioning for Jackson's goal. He's going from strength to strength in fairness, he looks a lot more comfortable on the ball this season.

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 5:34pm
He never got an assist in Fantasy Football, you sure he got it?

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Posted By: TheBeachBoysReunion
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

He never got an assist in Fantasy Football, you sure he got it?
He didn't get the assist. Sorry about that. It really was a very good cross though.

Posted By: walsheman
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 7:27am
ward missed some sitter right at the end....mcCarthy looked like he was ready to break down and cry,seemed good game by the highlights

-------------
Going To The Euro's,Poland and Ukraine 2012 HO HO!!!!

twitter.......@walsheman

Posted By: JH91
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 7:38am
You sure that wasn't Hamill

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 7:42am

Ya, it was definitely Hammill with the missed header

Posted By: walsheman
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 7:47am
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

i thought the commentator said ward,voices must be back in my head for christmas

-------------
Going To The Euro's,Poland and Ukraine 2012 HO HO!!!!

twitter.......@walsheman

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 8:02am
Originally posted by walsheman walsheman wrote:

i thought the commentator said ward,voices must be back in my head for christmas

He did originally say Ward, however it was changed to Hamill later on SSN.

Posted By: gusford
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 9:08am
bring wardy!!!

-------------
Effort is only effort when it begins to hurt.
Jose Ortega y Gasset

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 9:21am
Originally posted by walsheman walsheman wrote:

Was it the saved header late on? Definitely said Ward on Sky Sports News, but it was Hammill

Posted By: Weecounty
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:45am

Just after scoring against ChelseaThumbs Up

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:45am
Good for him.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:51am
Its all in vain it seems as Chelsea just scored to make it 2-1!!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 10:13am
Wolves were robbed, Fat Frank should have walked in the 1st half.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Absolutely Use Absolutely Use wrote:

Wolves were robbed, Fat Frank should have walked in the 1st half.

Totally agree, if a Wolves player had of committed that foul, a red card would have been shown.

Posted By: jackshat
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 10:59am
Anyone see the goal?

He seems to be having a very good season for Wolves!

-------------
It's Jack Shat

Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 11:07am
good tidy close range finish, very easily could have fluffed it, seen players do it before from that range. had the confidence to strike it first time rather than take a touch which is always good to see. 

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Posted By: SteviesGranny
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 2:43pm
Getting ripped a new one by Valencia today. Would make you worry about the summer a little bit. Hopefully his form improves a bit between now and the end of the season

Posted By: Mr Marbles
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 2:59pm
Having a bad game alright and so is Foley

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 3:00pm
He has been ripped apart by Valencia all afternoon.

Posted By: Cabs88
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 3:54pm
In fairness got very little help and valencia on form like today is very hard to stop

-------------
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net