Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Ward

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 46>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:53pm
He played very, very well.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:56pm
Don't like him as a player in particular, but overall he's not a big problem in the current set up.....in saying that a long term replacement can't come soon enough
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:15am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He played very, very well.

I disagree, in the second half he was nearly caught on a few occasions over his positioning.

Wales went down to 10 men, he had the freedom of the left wing and offered more or less nothing.

I really hope Cunningham/Doherty get a chance to stake a claim. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:21am
He marshalled one of the best players in the world and was one of our few players who tried to get forward in a positive sense, what more could you realistically ask of him?
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:28am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He marshalled one of the best players in the world and was one of our few players who tried to get forward in a positive sense, what more could you realistically ask of him?

Bale wasn't hanging out on the right wing for the evening so I'm not having that, for the majority of the game he drifted into the center.

To say Ward "marshaled" Bale is crazy. 

He only looked a slight attacking threat was when McGeady came on because he was demanding Ward to support him.

Ward's positioning and aimless hoofing when he got on the ball (despite the odd run) was so frustrating and so obvious for all to see for large parts of that second half.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:31am
He was one of our better performers but I think we need to start looking for a younger option as at 31 he isn't getting any younger.
Hi Lads
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

He was one of our better performers but I think we need to start looking for a younger option as at 31 he isn't getting any younger.

I disagree, but sure football is all about opinions.

I liked what I saw from Cyrus Christie in his 20 minutes, he demanded the ball, attacked at will, also made sure he was covered when attacking etc 

McClean had to cover back twice for Ward in what were pretty dangerous counter attacks, you just cannot do that at this level. 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:37am
I thought he was our best player! What do you want from him?LOL
Richmond Ultra View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richmond Ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I liked what I saw from Cyrus Christie in his 20 minutes, he demanded the ball, attacked at will, also made sure he was covered when attacking etc 

McClean had to cover back twice for Ward in what were pretty dangerous counter attacks, you just cannot do that at this level. 

Christie was unable to cross the ball and lost possession seven times in 22 minutes, not exactly world class.
Omnia Causa Fiunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Richmond Ultra Richmond Ultra wrote:

Christie was unable to cross the ball and lost possession seven times in 22 minutes, not exactly world class.
Cyrus is the worst player I have seen in green. Virus is right.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:44am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

That's your opinion though? 

Firstly, his positioning as I've said here numerous times already isn't good enough. We were blessed to have not gotten punished at least once if not twice in the second half from him falling asleep.

Secondly, to actually demand the ball like Coleman does and offer himself as a proper attacking threat like most modern day full backs do!

Ward had to wait for McGeady to come on to really start getting involved in an attacking sense, see how Christie bombed forward naturally at will when he came on?  

Why for a full back does he fell the need to hoof the ball more often than not, we played with 3 centre midfielders tonight? Simply give the ball inside when its not on for a winger instead of giving it back to the opposition (this is a criticism I'd have with many of our players)

Edited by Green Devil - 25 Mar 2017 at 12:47am

SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:45am

No issue with him performing above his usual self for Ireland over the past year (knew his decent form wouldn't last) but I don't think anyone can defend his performance on the whole tonight.

His first touch is awful, has zero positioning sense, his aimless hoofing of the ball was just baffling.....

McClean roared at him in the second half (around 20/25 to go I think) and it was fully warranted. 

It's time Martin gave Cunningham and Doherty a chance at left full even as back up for Brady. 

Have to agree. Cunningham is our best left back, his delivery of a ball is excellent.

Ward done well this evening but for me he's still a f**king disaster.

Wouldn't agree on Christie, I think he has ability.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Richmond Ultra Richmond Ultra wrote:

Who said it was or anything near that Confused I merely said I said I liked how he attacked, he offered great support to McClean when he came on. 

He won a couple of corners too, a few throw ins (never realized he had such a long throw in mind) 

Edited by Green Devil - 25 Mar 2017 at 12:47am

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:48am
He's improved massively. He is a lot more confident, even at club level. Doesn't shy away from things which I think he had an issue with in the past.
He's playing the best football of his career
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:48am

Bar McClean I can't really think of any other candidates. Christie came on and made an impact which is exactly what you want and if there is any positive to take from that dark dark incident with Coleman's injury it's that Christie has a chance to really make a claim for the RB jersey, obviously he will never be good enough to take it from a fit Coleman but when Coleman comes back ( dare I say it..."if" he comes back) than we will not only have one of the best RB's out there but a very able deputy with a bit of experience. I also thought that McGeady was good when he came on, hopefully he and Christie can start v Iceland.
Hi Lads
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:49am

Firstly, his positioning as I've said here numerous times already isn't good enough. We were blessed to have not gotten punished at least once if not twice in the second half from him falling asleep.

Secondly, to actually demand the ball like Coleman does and offer himself as a proper attacking threat like most modern day full backs do!

Ward had to wait for McGeady to come on to really start getting involved in an attacking sense, see how Christie bombed forward naturally at will when he came on?  

Why for a full back does he fell the need to hoof the ball more often than not, we played with 3 center midfielders tonight? Simply give the ball inside when its not on for a winger instead of giving it back to the opposition (this is a criticism I'd have with many of our players)
Cyrus is f**king useless, he has no understanding of the game of football, a donkey! I felt Ward drove us on when he could, we had far bigger problems than him!!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:51am
Thought Ward was one of the steadier defenders tonight
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:53am

Why for a full back does he fell the need to hoof the ball more often than not, we played with 3 center midfielders tonight? Simply give the ball inside when its not on for a winger instead of giving it back to the opposition (this is a criticism I'd have with many of our players)
Cyrus is f**king useless, he has no understanding of the game of football, a donkey! I felt Ward drove us on when he could, we had far bigger problems than him!!

I'm not saying Cyrus is Cafu LOL nor do I think he's a better all rounder than Ward (I don't rate either tbh) but I liked the way Cyrus got heavily involved when he came running up and down the line.

I just felt Ward needed to take the bull by the horns and use his pace and to his credit, he actually has a decent delivery and he just rarely tried to whip in a ball when it was on. It was so frustrating, he then in turn would give Aiden the ball who would have to try beat 2 or 3 Welsh players.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 46>
  Share Topic