You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 442443444445446 465>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Mclean is a good lad with great commitment but 100 caps in just over 10yrs for someone with his limited ability shows how bad our squads have been in that time ....and the ridiculous amount of games that hand out caps now against every Tom Dick or Harry of International football, tonight being a case in point

Frank Stapleton for example 71 caps in 14 yrs .......there were half the amount of teams to play against in his time

There was 107 official International games between Staplestons debut and his final game for Ireland. He could have made it to 100 if fit and selected, which is a big reason why McClean has made it to 100.

It's a fair point suppose .....where did you get that stat

Edited by gazurtoids - 19 Jun 2023 at 7:55pm
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 10:56pm
A good performance, 2 assists and he nearly scored too.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:07pm
An awful pity he didn't score, the roof would have come off the place. Fair play to James. And unbelievable achievement 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:23pm
Considering he started relatively late (compared to our other centurions), he has done exceptionally well to get to 100. Still has a few more in him as well I'd say given our issues at left back.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:36pm
He's been a great servant, but he's often frustrated me due to only really producing goals and assists in friendlies or vs minnows.

He has those 2 big goals vs Austria and Wales.

But still, a nice way to cap off his 100th game.
cwh2018 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwh2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:45pm
Could be a while before we have another centurion, I think Hendrick is onto 79 and having become a squad member now is unlikely to get near 100. Coleman won't get close to it and after that you are looking at lads with under 30 caps.  
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:46pm
Always gives 100% - I thought he was our best player in the first half, or most likely to make something happen. 

2 assists is great for someone who usually frustrates with his crossing.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

He's been a great servant, but he's often frustrated me due to only really producing goals and assists in friendlies or vs minnows.

11 goals in 100 vs 8 in 110 for Kilbane and 8 in 100 for Duff, the only centurion to hit double figures asides from Robbie. Unlucky not to add to his tally tonight. I wonder what the assists figure for all 3 are,
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by cwh2018 cwh2018 wrote:

Could be a while before we have another centurion, I think Hendrick is onto 79 and having become a squad member now is unlikely to get near 100. Coleman won't get close to it and after that you are looking at lads with under 30 caps.  

I'd say a good few of the younger crop have a decent chance of getting there eventually, but yes it will probably be into the 2030s before we see any more after tonight.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Always gives 100% - I thought he was our best player in the first half, or most likely to make something happen. 

2 assists is great for someone who usually frustrates with his crossing.

Could have had at least 2 more. Ferguson should have scored first half off one of his crosses and Mc Grath hit the bar from one of his corners also.

Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 12:08am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

11 goals in 100 vs 8 in 110 for Kilbane and 8 in 100 for Duff, the only centurion to hit double figures asides from Robbie. Unlucky not to add to his tally tonight. I wonder what the assists figure for all 3 are,

Duff and Kilbane started their career during a time when 4-4-2 and traditional wingers were the norm. Ryan Giggs' career goals tally looks poor compared to modern wide players who are basically wide forwards. McClean has played during modern times and was mainly a LW in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 early on.

McClean has assisted 6 goals for Ireland, which includes tonight's 2 assists. It also generously credits him with an assist for his heavily deflected cross to McGoldrick for the equaliser vs Switzerland.

Duff assisted 13 goals for Ireland. Kilbane assisted 7 goals (all in qualifiers).

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 8:33am

The 2 from last night is not included in the link above.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
BOOMSHAKALAKA View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOOMSHAKALAKA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 8:42am
James has been a great servant for us. The most committed player we've ever had I'd say. Great dedication and love for his country. He's put in some outstanding displays and we've got some great memories from some of his goals and assists. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 8:44am
Was one player in the  first half actually trying to put the ball into the box.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 8:57am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The 2 from last night is not included in the link above.

They are? It says 6?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 8:59am
I could have sworn it said 6 before the game yesterday.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:04am
Pity he couldn't have taken that chance last night. Great performance for his 100th. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:24am
Hes in some shape too fair play to him. Absolutely ripped. Robocop. 2 great assists last night.
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 442443444445446 465>
  Share Topic