You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 441442443444445 465>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 12:47pm
Much as I'm not a fan of Keane personally, he was an absolutely outstanding footballer - and while physicality was part of that you don't get to where he got without having exceptional technical ability also. In the second half of the 1990s there wasn't a team in world football that wouldn't have been improved by putting him in it.

In a way that's probably why he failed as a manager - he never really understood how much of his own success was down to his technical ability and was overly critical of lesser players who simply weren't capable of meeting the high standards he set.
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 1:07pm
Anyways, back to McClean....
I was somebody who said a year or two back that his days playing for us should be up and while I think it's a bad sign to our lack of depth that he has played, he hasn't really been a passenger in that time either. But all that aside, you can see how much it means to him to pull on the shirt so hopefully he gets all the accolades he deserves tonight. He gave us some great moments and anybody making it to 100 caps deserves to be saluted. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 1:42pm
Would live to see him on the score sheet tonight.

This could be his last game for Ireland as he maybe dropping down to L1 and may not get selected again.

A great servant for Ireland and scoring 11 goals along the way is an excellent contribution too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 1:48pm
I would not write him off just yet, his fitness levels are pretty incredible and he has a few years left if he avoids serious injuries. One thing is sure, he would never turn down a call-up. Looking forward to him getting the accolades tonight, absolutely deserved.

Edited by Green Cockade - 19 Jun 2023 at 1:49pm
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 1:52pm
No need for any caveats about this guy, or damning with faint praise. Always turned up for Ireland, not grudgingly. Many wanted him to keep his head down, and keep his mouth shut. But he didn't, because he stuck by his convictions. I'm not sure any Irish player in history has suffered the same level of racist and sectarian abuse from the terraces? I'm sure he wont miss it when he finally hangs up his boots. Don't think we will see we will see his like again in a green shirt. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 2:11pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 2:16pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

No need for any caveats about this guy, or damning with faint praise. Always turned up for Ireland, not grudgingly. Many wanted him to keep his head down, and keep his mouth shut. But he didn't, because he stuck by his convictions. I'm not sure any Irish player in history has suffered the same level of racist and sectarian abuse from the terraces? I'm sure he wont miss it when he finally hangs up his boots. Don't think we will see we will see his like again in a green shirt. 

Players are now so club orienteered, that McClean's level of deference and dedication to the international game is making him part of a dying breed of player. Historically, we have suffered from player indifference to the international cause, so McClean has always been a breath of fresh air. Not least because he will always win us a corner, or make some sort of positive, attacking contribution, especially when the chips are down.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 4:34pm
FAI posted this on YouTube about McClean. They went to Derry to talk to people who know McClean.

https://youtu.be/v85MNnk00Wg
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 6:29pm
Delight for James. Maybe not the in the upper echelon ability wise of those who have played for Ireland, but few have given more for the jersey. Its a testament to him that's he's had the career he has. He's rung every last bit out of it 

Edited by zizu Kilbane - 19 Jun 2023 at 6:30pm
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 6:53pm
Talk about damning with faint praise, qualifying Jimmy's achievement in some manner is getting just a wee bit tiresome at this stage, 99 caps 11 goals all while having to endure horrific abuse from the stands across the water. Legend! Hope he bags another tonight.
Idah Dream!
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

It's frightening to think how good McClean could have been (for Ireland anyway) if he had some serious talent. 

His attitude is what you'd want in any footballer. Understandably, an attitude like his coupled with real talent is rare. The paradox of raw talent knowing they they dont have to try as much (when they do) and average players knowing their career literally relies on their attitude being 100% all the time. 

Nice to see him get 100. Will be lucky to get anymore I'd say. 

I wouldn't be so sure. It's not as if we have a wave of talent coming through waiting to push him out of the squad. 
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

It's frightening to think how good McClean could have been (for Ireland anyway) if he had some serious talent. 

His attitude is what you'd want in any footballer. Understandably, an attitude like his coupled with real talent is rare. The paradox of raw talent knowing they they dont have to try as much (when they do) and average players knowing their career literally relies on their attitude being 100% all the time. 

I wouldn't be so sure. It's not as if we have a wave of talent coming through waiting to push him out of the squad. 
Next manager has Ryan Manning in straight away so unless Jimmy is pushed further forward I can’t see him getting a whole lot more. One or two maybe 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

Next manager has Ryan Manning in straight away so unless Jimmy is pushed further forward I can’t see him getting a whole lot more. One or two maybe 

Ryan Manning will come in, but will he stay in? Does McClean stay in the squad? I think so, for this full campaign at least and Euro24 in the unlikely event we get there. He's a much better LWB than O'Dowda imo and he's a great character to have around the place. It will likely be a year or two before we see Roughan, Furlong, Adaramola, maybe Bagan come through.
Idah Dream!
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 7:30pm
Mclean is a good lad with great commitment but 100 caps in just over 10yrs for someone with his limited ability shows how bad our squads have been in that time ....and the ridiculous amount of games that hand out caps now against every Tom Dick or Harry of International football, tonight being a case in point

Frank Stapleton for example 71 caps in 14 yrs .......there were half the amount of teams to play against in his time
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Mclean is a good lad with great commitment but 100 caps in just over 10yrs for someone with his limited ability shows how bad our squads have been in that time ....and the ridiculous amount of games that hand out caps now against every Tom Dick or Harry of International football, tonight being a case in point

Frank Stapleton for example 71 caps in 14 yrs .......there were half the amount of teams to play against in his time

It is ridiculous when you think Denis Irwin only got 50 odd caps. 
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 7:46pm

It is ridiculous when you think Denis Irwin only got 50 odd caps. 

I mean the list is endless....Ronnie Whelan 53 caps in 14 yrs

there are 50 teams from Europe in this qualifying series, doubt there were 50 teams in world football back in the day
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 7:46pm

There was 107 official International games between Staplestons debut and his final game for Ireland. He could have made it to 100 if fit and selected, which is a big reason why McClean has made it to 100.

Also its not like the likes of Malta, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein etc.. werent around in Staplestons time, most of his goals were against Malta!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 441442443444445 465>
  Share Topic