You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 440441442443444 465>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Paul Rowan had a piece on him today. That man is fairly sickening. Had a few pointless cuts off McClean in an article about him reaching that milestone. I think we all know what his level is but stating his career didn't live up to his social media efforts and that his continued and future use for Ireland are an indictment of the talent pool is quite pointless stuff.

What a dick.

Paul Rowan is a one man idiot!
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Paul Rowan had a piece on him today. That man is fairly sickening. Had a few pointless cuts off McClean in an article about him reaching that milestone. I think we all know what his level is but stating his career didn't live up to his social media efforts and that his continued and future use for Ireland are an indictment of the talent pool is quite pointless stuff.

Same fella pushing Lee Carsley at every avenue. Proper hack 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 9:47am
absolutely delighted for him to be reaching 100, one of our greatest ever sportspeople imo Clap
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 9:52am
Look, he's probably the most limited player technically to make it to 100 caps for us, but you can't exactly begrudge him it either seeing the effort and determination he has played with.
We're decent enough..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 10:12am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

absolutely delighted for him to be reaching 100, one of our greatest ever sportspeople imo Clap

lets not get carried away now!! that's a bit OTT
I love beer gardens
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 10:27am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

lets not get carried away now!! that's a bit OTT

I've said in this thread before why I think that. I'm not saying he's one of our best ever footballers or the most talented sports person we've ever produced. It's who he is as a person combined with how long he's stayed at the level required to get to 100 caps for Ireland as a combination that has him up there for me. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 10:33am
it shouldn't just be limited to ability. Stephen Ireland and Anthony Stokes are examples of players that were technically better players. But their commitment was a fraction of what McClean's is, and that level of commitment was what made him a century cap winner. He also played five seasons in the Premier League, and won POTY awards at several clubs.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 10:49am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Look, he's probably the most limited player technically to make it to 100 caps for us, but you can't exactly begrudge him it either seeing the effort and determination he has played with.

I wouldn't have Kilbane as a technically proficient player.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:37am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Just can't wait to see Jamesy walk out as captain tonight , always gives everything for the shirt and love him to bits for it  ClapClapClapClapClap
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:42am

First thing I thought also. James also has 11 goals in 99, more than Kilbane 8 in 110, more than Duff 8 in 100. In fact Jimmy will be the only Irish player with 100 caps and double figures in goals scored bar Robbie.
Idah Dream!
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:42am
James would walk across the Irish Sea to play for his country! If only all our players cared as much. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 12:00pm

Kilbane was limited technically, but still a fair bit better than McClean. Put it this way, Kilbane could do a passable job in CM, I don't think McClean could do the same.

Where McClean certainly would trump him is longevity though, Kilbane was horrific in his last few years for us at LB.
We're decent enough..
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 12:09pm
It's frightening to think how good McClean could have been (for Ireland anyway) if he had some serious talent. 

His attitude is what you'd want in any footballer. Understandably, an attitude like his coupled with real talent is rare. The paradox of raw talent knowing they they dont have to try as much (when they do) and average players knowing their career literally relies on their attitude being 100% all the time. 

Nice to see him get 100. Will be lucky to get anymore I'd say. 

Edited by Banjaxed - 19 Jun 2023 at 12:09pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 12:30pm
I have much more respect for "average" players with great attitudes than "talented" players with sh*t ones. When people say talent I assume they are talking about technical ability. Roy Keane was a force of nature, but I would say his technical ability was average.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

I have much more respect for "average" players with great attitudes than "talented" players with sh*t ones. When people say talent I assume they are talking about technical ability. Roy Keane was a force of nature, but I would say his technical ability was average.

Don't think Roy's technical ability was average. Perfectly able to control a ball and was a fine passer.
I love beer gardens
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Don't think Roy's technical ability was average. Perfectly able to control a ball and was a fine passer.

One of the biggest myths around alright, his first touch and passing were top class. He was a reasonable goal threat earlier in his career as well.
We're decent enough..
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 12:37pm

That's a really poor assessment of Roy Keane. Shocking tbh.

Keane was an efficient player who read the game incredibly well. He did the basics right and knew how to position himself. He was a very good passer. He could dictate a game from deep. He was more of a goalscoring box to box player at first. Keane was every bit as good as Simeone, Davids, Vieira, etc during the late 90's/early 00's. 

People have weird views on Keane. He wasn't the Irish Lee Cattermole. He could mix it, but he could also play. He was worlds class at one point in time. Watch some of the old games vs Arsenal. Elite.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 12:45pm
I did say Roy Keane was a force of nature, and by definition world class. He was captain for Man U after all. He did not posses world class technical ability though. No Modric. But his other qualities were world class, he would have made it into the best teams in the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 440441442443444 465>
  Share Topic