You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 414415416417418 465>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 4:41pm
He doesn't strike me as someone motivated by money. I imagine he'll do whatever it takes to get back to playing football and getting called up for his country.
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

MoN has not forgiven him for playing too much for Ireland when just recovering from injury and missing the end of last season.
Despite being Stoke's player of the season two years ago, I cannot see anyway back for him at Stoke.
In recent times, he's mostly annoyed many of the fans with his twitter nonsense, giving credence to what many had said when he joined, that he brings too much baggage to his club. 

Despite his limited ability,  he's always given terrific application wherever he's gone, so hopefully there's  a club for him somewhere. Wigan are rumoured to be interested, or maybe Rowett will sign him again and take him to Millwall. No club will want to pay a fee for him now. Unless he takes a substantial pay cut, he could end up stewing at Stoke in a wasted year.

He's still got much to offer Ireland, but he needs to be playing.

Now that would be interesting! LOL
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 11:17pm
Looks like Wigan, vast majority of fans would be delighted to have him back! 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 4:36pm
Dan McDonnell confirming that he will be joining Wigan. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 4:53pm
Interesting. If Kenny is going to show any kind of consistency here then that should be the end for McClean in terms of the national team. After all he has already turned down McGeady repeatedly in the last year on the basis of his age and the fact he plays in League 1, so it would surely be hugely hypocritical to continue to pick McClean who is also well into his 30s and now plays for an even weaker League 1 team than McGeady does.

I'm not saying that's the right thing to do, two wrongs don't make a right, but it's hard to see how he can justify picking McClean and not McGeady going forward now.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:13pm
McClean is a few years younger. Personally I would have had McGeady back in after his form last year.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:22pm
More and more players are playing in L1.

McClean will 100% be in the squad and will most likely play in all 3 games if fit.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:32pm
Am I the only one who finds Michael O'Neill's attempts to dissuade McClean from playing Intl football, and his treatment of him when he returned injured from Intl duty, to be extremely dodgy. I'd be surprised if footballers haven't consulted solicitors over smaller issues.

Not saying it isn't fair from a Stoke perspective, but players come back injured from Intl duty all the time, as they are entitled to, and rarely are victims of such extreme negative pushback.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:36pm
I always felt that O'Neill had it in for McClean, a begrudgingly dislike for him for him for whatever reason.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

McClean will 100% be in the squad and will most likely play in all 3 games if fit.

And the sad thing is he really shouldn't. Great servant but he isn't going to be part of the squad attempting to quality for Euro 2024 so we have to be looking to give young players the experience they will need (not withstanding there are some injuries). 
I think Kenny has already said he will rotate over the 3 games maybe that will limit his time. 

Edited by Borussia - 17 Aug 2021 at 5:46pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Interesting. If Kenny is going to show any kind of consistency here then that should be the end for McClean in terms of the national team. After all he has already turned down McGeady repeatedly in the last year on the basis of his age and the fact he plays in League 1, so it would surely be hugely hypocritical to continue to pick McClean who is also well into his 30s and now plays for an even weaker League 1 team than McGeady does.

I'm not saying that's the right thing to do, two wrongs don't make a right, but it's hard to see how he can justify picking McClean and not McGeady going forward now.

What if McClean has been consistent and put in good performances under Kenny regardless of what club he is at? Parrot, Bazunu etc are playing L1 but wouldn't have the International experience that McClean has and there would be uproar on here if they were excluded. If Kenny feels he can do something for the team and put in a shift for us, then that's the bottom line. 

He is not long turned 32 so hardly well into his 30s and he has always played better for country than club.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 17 Aug 2021 at 5:39pm
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

What if McClean has been consistent and put in good performances under Kenny regardless of what club he is at? Parrot, Bazunu etc are playing L1 but wouldn't have the International experience that McClean has and there would be uproar on here if they were excluded. If Kenny feels he can do something for the team and put in a shift for us, then that's the bottom line. 

He is not long turned 32 so hardly well into his 30s and he has always played better for club than country.

remember under mick when mcclean lost the ball like 36 times against Georgia? has he really improved any since then, i wouldn't think so. I presumed under Kenny who wanted to play possession football, mcClean would be the first man to be banished but fair play to him for continuing to get picked each window.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Am I the only one who finds Michael O'Neill's attempts to dissuade McClean from playing Intl football, and his treatment of him when he returned injured from Intl duty, to be extremely dodgy. I'd be surprised if footballers haven't consulted solicitors over smaller issues.

Not saying it isn't fair from a Stoke perspective, but players come back injured from Intl duty all the time, as they are entitled to, and rarely are victims of such extreme negative pushback.
There is no chance he would consult a solicitor over this. 
Club managers for years have not wanted players to play international football - Just look at how United players under Fergie selectively turned up for games. 
I think, and I could be wrong on this, the issue Stoke had was he was recovering from injury and there going on international duty would jeapordise that. I applaud McClean for his commitment to his country - He might probably guessed when he got injured this might be the likely outcome. I'm not saying that it's fair on him but I think you'd have a hard job that Stoke are doing anything illegal. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:46pm

He is not long turned 32 so hardly well into his 30s and he has always played better for country than club.

The point is more about McGeady than McClean. Sure McClean has been OK for us, not exceptional, but OK, in the last year. McGeady meanwhile has been flying for Sunderland, is a naturally creative player and Kenny has repeatedly said he wants us to play good football, but he hasn't given him as much a a squad call up. Just seems hypocritical to me if he continues to pick McClean and not McGeady now, just a case of straight up favouritism rather than picking on form (again I would pick both).

The other lads - Parrott, Bazunu etc. are different, League 1 is hopefully a stepping stone on the way up for them.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:49pm
Anytime he played for Stoke over the last 18 months he’s been one of their best players. I think he’s still good enough to be playing in a lot of championship sides. His off the field stuff is doing him no favours at all I would think . 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 5:54pm

The point is more about McGeady than McClean. Sure McClean has been OK for us, not exceptional, but OK, in the last year. McGeady meanwhile has been flying for Sunderland, is a naturally creative player and Kenny has repeatedly said he wants us to play good football, but he hasn't given him as much a a squad call up. Just seems hypocritical to me if he continues to pick McClean and not McGeady now, just a case of straight up favouritism rather than picking on form (again I would pick both).

The other lads - Parrott, Bazunu etc. are different, League 1 is hopefully a stepping stone on the way up for them.

I agree re McGeady for what it's worth. Just pointing out that there is no need for it "to be the end for McClean" if/when he signs for Wigan on the basis of being consistent with selection.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 6:01pm
McGeady only came back into contention in the minds of the wider footballing public after Christmas when he was prolifically assisting and chipping in with a few goals himself. Apart from people who would want McGeady on the assumption that past performance would suggest there was something left in the locker, he had been in the international wilderness since 2017, and that wasn't going to change, other than with a massive upswing in form, like what happened.

I don't think the third tier will help McClean much. His best football was played in the PL and that was replicated at international level, all the way up to the Danish game in 2017. He worked well under Pulis, and his character and effort really made him indispensable. But that being said, much like McGeady's upswing in form, he will either be achieving against significantly weaker players, or more concerning, actually to slip into their level, and find it more of a challenge than a player of his history should.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

And the sad thing is he really shouldn't. Great servant but he isn't going to be part of the squad attempting to quality for Euro 2024 so we have to be looking to give young players the experience they will need (not withstanding there are some injuries). 
I think Kenny has already said he will rotate over the 3 games maybe that will limit his time. 

Great servant and still making a positive contribution to the team. Much more than others. Which is why he's still playing, Kenny opted for others and yet it's McClean who has played his way back into the team.

If your basing it on age - then I'd assume that the likes of Coleman gets over looked too?

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 414415416417418 465>
  Share Topic