You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 403404405406407 465>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:38pm
Declan rice actually tweeted up the ra and there was very little about it. It is a disgrace, his wife in her post, said that they were spit at, shouted at(when out with their 3 little kids)and not a day goes by that either of them doesnt get a threat of some sort.
 For f#ck sake they threaten to burn down his house with his kids in it, another post said they hoped his kids would die of covid. These animals need to be sorted out by the law.
Sponsored Links

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Maybe if an Irish player scores today, that'll cheer us all up.
Parrot tonight🤞
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:45pm

If Parott scores tonight we can all take a night off. Only compliments to each other LOL
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:48pm
Ah come on, so because these instances happened no one is allowed to make a stand against racism, abuse etc? Also, people who stand up for McClean arent "cristising other nations" as you put it, they are simply speaking out against those, albeit most likely a minority, who direct abuse and hatred online. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

After the George Nchenko event and the Ian Wright verdict, to name but two recent situations, I think it's safe to say Ireland still has some way to go before they can feel complacent enough to turn their ire upon, and criticise other nations, on the issue of racial equality.

Ah come on, so because these instances happened no one is allowed to make a stand against racism, abuse etc? Also, people who stand up for McClean arent "cristising other nations" as you put it, they are simply speaking out against those, albeit most likely a minority, who direct abuse and hatred online. 
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 6:08pm
Whatever your sentiments about the Ra, dressing up as one of them doesn't seem a particularly sensible strategy if you are sensitive to receiving abuse from the English football following community. How exactly was he expecting that to go down? 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Whatever your sentiments about the Ra, dressing up as one of them doesn't seem a particularly sensible strategy if you are sensitive to receiving abuse from the English football following community. How exactly was he expecting that to go down? 

OK Conan, how do you explain the other 8yrs of abuse and threats he was receiving? That was practically 2 yrs ago and this has been going on for 10yrs at least. Grow a backbone mate.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Parrot tonight🤞

Exactly! See! aviva8 and Doherty get it.

We're probably not going to solve the issues of our time on ybig to be honest. (No disrespect moderators)

But Parrott is due a flipping goal.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Another stupid comment that could be added to a long list on ones on this thread. He was receiving abuse long before he ever put the balaclava on. Was it smart? No, nobody on here has suggested it was a smart idea. Does putting on a balaclava merit abuse toward his family? Absolutely f**king not.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Easy for Meyler to say that now that he's retired. They probably just think he's a gobsh*te in reality and he should keep his mouth shut. From my experience, anyone who goes on about the RA, republicanism, all that nonsense, is an utter twat and best avoided. 

I take it the majority of people on here using quotes like above about "RA heads" didn't actually grow up in the North? It's quite insulting seeing people use quotes like this while defending what happened to James while sitting on their comfy wee couches outside the 6 counties. 

What exactly is wrong with the term RA heads ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 7:15pm
thought I stumbled into OWC there. Pathetic.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Easy for Meyler to say that now that he's retired. They probably just think he's a gobsh*te in reality and he should keep his mouth shut. From my experience, anyone who goes on about the RA, republicanism, all that nonsense, is an utter twat and best avoided. 

I take it the majority of people on here using quotes like above about "RA heads" didn't actually grow up in the North? It's quite insulting seeing people use quotes like this while defending what happened to James while sitting on their comfy wee couches outside the 6 counties. 

Nothing, why? Depends what context it is used in. If it's used to describe someone from the North who may have Republican/Nationalist views to label him as an 'utter twat' and best avoided then personally, I think that's insulting to say the least. That's my opinion anyway. 

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 8:03pm
First of all, nobody should have to suffer online death threats, no matter what their views, and no matter what they say

I've consistently supported James McClean's right to not wear a poppy, or turn away when God Save The Queen is being played, or believe that the British Army were an occupying force in the North

I'd even defend his right to quote Bobby Sands, as there was a sort of nobility to Sands' words, an extreme naivety and a hopeless romanticism, but you can see why these words are attractive to people

I think the abuse he took over all those did show up a really nasty, xenophobic, imperialist, anti-Irish streak in mainstream English society, which we all know exists

But when McClean posed for that picture with a balaclava, he seriously crossed a line

McClean used to play for Wigan

12 miles down the road from Wigan is Warrington

And the IRA blew up and killed two children there, anybody old enough to remember it will never forget it, and most of those not old enough to remember it know about it

The vast majority of English people are understandably quite touchy about things like the Warrington bomb - and McClean himself should understand that - if an English player came to Ireland and started posting pro-Loyalist messages, how would that go down

What if Derry City signed an English player, or a player from the Loyalist tradition, and they started praising British Army Paratroopers or Loyalists, how would that go down

If, as a footballer playing in England, you post a blatantly pro-IRA message like that, you WILL get serious pushback, and you deserve to

You certainly don't deserve to get death threats, and anybody who sends death threats is obviously scum, but, given the insane age of extreme opinions we live in, you likely will get them when you post something like that

James has chosen to play the social media game, he has chosen to become a lightning rod, and we all know what social media is like

If you do that, you WILL attract extreme opinion against you

And when you post a picture of yourself with a balaclava over your head mock teaching your children -  which was a clear impersonation of an IRA man - you're going to attract even more extreme opinion against you, and likely death threats

That doesn't make death threats right, but that is the world we live in

James McClean cannot not have known that, which begs the question, did he actual in some way want an extreme reaction

Did he want the notoriety, did he want to be a lightning rod, did he, on some weird level, actually want the death threats

I think he certainly wants the notoriety and attention

It is possible to believe that you should not have to receive death threats, and believe that McClean is at best a f**king eejit for posting that balaclava picture, and that he knew that such reaction would almost certainly be forthcoming

Perhaps he desired that victim complex and wanted more ways to justify it to himself

He may be an eejit, but he is not stupid as to the ways of the world

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 9:31pm

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Nothing, why? Depends what context it is used in. If it's used to describe someone from the North who may have Republican/Nationalist views to label him as an 'utter twat' and best avoided then personally, I think that's insulting to say the least. That's my opinion anyway. 

RA heads are utter twats - that's the point  (  there is a smell of west brit about the term utter twat  - sounds suspiciously English to me )
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:34am
He's on OTB here now. Speaking as well as always. A top top bloke
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

He's on OTB here now. Speaking as well as always. A top top bloke
Caught the second half of it. Spoke very well

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:55am
His brother received an absolutely shocking message on social media last night that he read out. It's incredible the stuff they have to put up with. As they said at the end, the only way to stop this is for social media companies enforcing photo ID etc when setting up an account so that these scumbags are held accountable for what they say online.
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:01am
Just took a glance at Erin McClean's Twitter account and her initial post on this - the absolute abuse she is getting from probably mostly Rangers fans by the looks of it, the justification of the abuse and the fact that it's all his own fault. 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 403404405406407 465>
  Share Topic