Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 402403404405406 465>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Easy for Meyler to say that now that he's retired. They probably just think he's a gobsh*te in reality and he should keep his mouth shut. From my experience, anyone who goes on about the RA, republicanism, all that nonsense, is an utter twat and best avoided. 

If only we could revert back being mini Tans what?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:05pm
Death threats and online abuse are totally wrong. 

The FA/PFA and English media's handling of them has also been wrong. 

McClean was silly to post a "joke" of himself wearing a balaclava, and for some other social media posts he's made in the past

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 16 Feb 2021 at 1:05pm
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:05pm
[/QUOTE]
You can want a united Ireland and have no time for the RA. Having said that, people can say violence gets you nowhere, but that's just obviously untrue in relation to the North.

The worst RA heads are those born post good Friday agreement or were in single age digits at the time.... and from the Republic. These lads are just cringy to be honest. 

[/QUOTE]

Of course you can! Irish Republicaniam is a broader church than just the physical force element. Many pacifist Republicans from O'Connell to Sheehy-Skeffington to Hume all made huge contributions.

In saying that, it's unlikely we'd have the freedoms we do know without the physical force element (which is where some of the complexities come into play). The Irish State was literally born out of revolution, we can't forget that. Even using terms like 'The RA' is problematic. When you say RA Heads, do you mean those who who are proud of men that served in the Provos during the trouble or those who were in the IRA from 1918-1923? Or both? Is it revisionist to eulagise one and condem the other? 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:06pm
Have any non-Irish footballers come out in support of McClean?
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Easy for Meyler to say that now that he's retired. They probably just think he's a gobsh*te in reality and he should keep his mouth shut. From my experience, anyone who goes on about the RA, republicanism, all that nonsense, is an utter twat and best avoided

Lots of people outing themselves as clowns today over this. Irish Republicanism is a legitimate political aspiration to have. It's grounded in a complex, nuanced, history of the Irish people. (I can recommend some excellent reading for beginners on the subject if you want).

Once you get past the predictable saber rattling of the uneducated minority, there many practical and economically beneficial reasons why lots of people would advocate for political unity, on the island, me included. To dismiss that as 'nonsense' and those of us who hold those political beliefs as 'twats' speaks volumes to your level or education.

As for McClean, by and large, he has articulated very well why he also holds these beliefs. He's clearly had the odd social media faux pas, but nothing he has said or done justifies he or his family recieving death threats. The is all very straight forward folks 

You can want a united Ireland and have no time for the RA. Having said that, people can say violence gets you nowhere, but that's just obviously untrue in relation to the North.

The worst RA heads are those born post good Friday agreement or were in single age digits at the time.... and from the Republic. These lads are just cringy to be honest. 

At the same time, Brexit has brought the chances of a united Ireland closer than the ra ever did

Up the Brexit

Not sure about that. Had the campaign not started post bloody Sunday, would we be sitting here with an anglo-irish agreement? Would we be sitting here with a Belfast agreement?

The way history went brexit was probably always going happen. Northern Ireland never would have affected brexit as it's an English nationalism based ideal. 

A brexit without the good Friday agreement would have meant an even more hardening of a hard border that would have existed. United Ireland probably would have been a pipe dream at that point. 
Dunne Leery View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne Leery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:10pm
The people carrying out the threats will almost certianly be right wing brexiteers supporting a smallish probabaly non premier league club .Anti foreigner feelings in some parts of the UK have definitely been on the up post Brexit.  
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:19pm

Easy for Meyler to say that now that he's retired. They probably just think he's a gobsh*te in reality and he should keep his mouth shut. From my experience, anyone who goes on about the RA, republicanism, all that nonsense, is an utter twat and best avoided. 

I take it the majority of people on here using quotes like above about "RA heads" didn't actually grow up in the North? It's quite insulting seeing people use quotes like this while defending what happened to James while sitting on their comfy wee couches outside the 6 counties. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Have any non-Irish footballers come out in support of McClean?

A few of his Stoke teammates have.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:30pm

Meyler is a person who spends too much time on social media and posting about fifa but he’s absolutely spot on about this subject. He admitted himself and others were afraid to speak out in case they were targeted. At least he’s being honest and showing his support now even thought it’s late he had to consider the consequences for his own family. What more do you want him to do now? The second half of your post it is fairly embarrassing on your behalf and alot of members probably would use the second line of your own post to describe you after that post.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ya but he could choose to just get away from all the hatred. Leave twitter and Instagram behind. You can still choose to have your principles, play your football and get on with life . Hes always going to receive abuse online as long as there is a platform. If i was him id just get away from it all.
And what do you suggest about the hate mail he receives to his home & club? 

What is there to suggest. I cant stop it. Maybe if he pulled himself away from the limelight he might not get as much hate mail. The world is full of idiot gobsh1tes.

I think Doherty makes some good points here, we are never going to live in a world of 8 billion where there are no morons threatening people for some reason.

There seems to be a drive to hold platforms responsible and avoiding the root cause of personal accountability. Blocking someone from making racist comments isn't solving the problem, just hiding it better.

There was a black footballer recently that reported racial abuse on social media which is of course disgusting. The person who did it was a 12 year old... personally I don't know what we do about that, fine parents? Jail time? Ruin the stupid 12 year olds life by publicly shaming him? 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:52pm
Surely you hold the person responsible based on the situation and facts in hand? A 12yo boy should be held accountable but based on his age the punishment should reflect this, education on the matter for example. A grown adult should be held accountable to their actions to similar account. Criminal record, fine, jail time etc. 

People rely on social media for income and cannot be asked to step away from it based on threatening behaviour of others who presume they wont be held accountable.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:59pm

Originally posted by Dragon_Khan Dragon_Khan wrote:

I have lived in the UK the last 9 years almost now, the amount of casual anti-Irish jargon in every day use is surprisingly high. Especially in working class circles. 

Anti-Irish sentiment is still very alive and well in England sadly and whilst it is a million times better than what it used to be, it still ain't right how a lot of people view us over here

I was there for 7 years and apart from the odd little jibe never experienced anything.
Do you think we don't have our own cohort of anti-everything people here in Ireland? The amount of taxi drivers giving out about n*ggers and foreigners, and even friends of mine from childhood that have troglodyte views on foreigners and black people. These people are everywhere, James unfortunately has managed to bring them out of the woodwork more so than others. 

WTF is your point? Racism against Jews and particularly Asians is common among black people. Having been to South Korea and other Asian countries, the older ones literally spit at white people's feet and abuse you on the street.

Does that then excuse institutional racism against black and Asian people?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Dragon_Khan Dragon_Khan wrote:

We pretty much sl*g all other countries at some level, the Welsh, Scottish, Ozzies etc. 
I mean if you think Irish people are in any way hindered by their nationality you're nuts, we are EU citizens, white, and about as privileged by birth as it gets. 

I have lived in the UK the last 9 years almost now, the amount of casual anti-Irish jargon in every day use is surprisingly high. Especially in working class circles. 

Anti-Irish sentiment is still very alive and well in England sadly and whilst it is a million times better than what it used to be, it still ain't right how a lot of people view us over here

Don't throw a paddy.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 4:13pm
After the George Nchenko event and the Ian Wright verdict, to name but two recent situations, I think it's safe to say Ireland still has some way to go before they can feel complacent enough to turn their ire upon, and criticise other nations, on the issue of racial equality.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 4:32pm
Looking at James IG account, it appears more and more people are coming out in support of him.

Some non Irish players too.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

After the George Nchenko event and the Ian Wright verdict, to name but two recent situations, I think it's safe to say Ireland still has some way to go before they can feel complacent enough to turn their ire upon, and criticise other nations, on the issue of racial equality.

There's questions about Gardai incompetence in lots of cases, particularly when firearms are involved. This one happened to involve a black person. The same questions were asked when Mark Hennessy, man who kidnapped and murdered the Filipino girl, was shot in his car. The same questions should be asked as to how a senior guard was murdered with his own weapon by the man in Castlerea, Stephen Silver. It has, frankly, absolutely nothing to do with race, regardless of how some people are determined to make that so.

Ian Wright was racially abused by a teenager in the arse end of nowhere in Kerry. Newsflash. There are racists in every country on earth and there always will be. Ian Wright himself mocked Roy Keane's accent in front of millions of TV viewers because he was too unintelligent and flustered to debate him on the points he was making. He also possesses rather antiquated views about the LGBT community and immigrants.

We could be at this tit for tat stuff all day when it comes to people saying racist or bigoted things. The decade of abuse McClean has been subjected to is symptomatic of deeply entrenched views in English society when it comes to Irish people.

And to the people excusing it because of McClean's republicanism, try reading a book about the Glenanne Gang, Robin Jackson, Robert Nairac, Lenny Murphy and how the MI5 colluded with terrorists to kill Catholics with no links to the IRA.

I'm not from the north but I'm not going to patronise people who actually grew up there and/or had parents grow up there and remember the kind of murky sh*te that used to go on.

Just because the people who abuse McClean refuse to acknowledge their own country's history, doesn't mean we should ignore what went on.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 16 Feb 2021 at 4:42pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:30pm
I don't disagree but just one point of accuracy. Lenny Murphy was not a member of the Glenanne gang, which was a County Armagh based collection of mass murderers made up of elements from the UVF, RUC, UDR and British Army. Murphy, whom I have met, led the Shankill Butchers, a Belfast UVF gang that was also prolific and notorious for the abduction, prolonged torture and murder often by throat cutting of random Catholic/ nationalist victims, as well as quite a few Prods who got on the wrong side of them. The 1970s was the era of these episodes.

Edited by Green Cockade - 16 Feb 2021 at 5:30pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:30pm
Maybe if an Irish player scores today, that'll cheer us all up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 402403404405406 465>
  Share Topic