You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 389390391392393 465>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

McClean remains deserving of his place in the squad in every sense.

It's just his status, heretofore, of automatic starter that I would question. 

Connolly's emergence should at least challenge this.

I think the emergence of other talent is not McClean's main obstacle, it's the emergence of a new style/system which will be his undoing. Will make squad but unless his passing, decision making in final third and general guile improves, I just don't see Kenny sticking with him. The system will dictate. McClean "worked" under more pragmatic systems gone by. Seeing how Kenny plays, it feels like a square peg in round hole territory.

Sponsored Links

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:42pm
I'd much sooner have Brady in the team in left midfield ahead of McClean on ability terms but you can hardly knock him too much given he always shows up and gets himself involved, doing what he can to get the team going; you can't imagine him just hiding fading in to anonymity like certain of his peers tend to in our big games.  That's the reason fans appreciate him, leaving all the BS aside.
If Kenny is going 5-2-3 or something along those lines though its hard to see where he would fit in?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:47pm
We'll be playing 4-3-3 or a variation of it. Forget 5-2-3, 3-5-2 and any other unusual formation, we won't be playing it.

McClean will be competing for the left forward position, Aaron Connolly will be among the competition for the spot.

Personally I'd start Connolly, but I still think McClean has an important role to play, but probably more often than not off the bench rather than starting games.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 11:14pm
McClean gets a lot of unmerited stick. Kenny above all knows the guy, he had him at Derry City before he was quickly fast-tracked to Premiership and international football. He is the ultimate pro and a cert for the play-offs, two away games where ultra reliable warriors of that calibre will be among the first names on the team-sheet.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

McClean gets a lot of unmerited stick. Kenny above all knows the guy, he had him at Derry City before he was quickly fast-tracked to Premiership and international football. He is the ultimate pro and a cert for the play-offs, two away games where ultra reliable warriors of that calibre will be among the first names on the team-sheet.

Reliable warriors? Penny hasn't dropped that O'Neill/McCarthy isn't in charge any more. Reliable warriors is one one of many traits that will be needed. 

And reliable warriors will not be the reason we win 2 away games on the trot.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 11:55pm
So often after James gets the ball, we end up having to win it back, because of his decision making, passing or his touch. Its rare to still be in possession of the ball in general play after he's had it. 

So often when the play is stretched late on its him with the legs and will to  chase someone down too.

I think Kennys Ireland will try and look after the ball more than he can.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 12:03am
We shall see. None of the alternative options can defend remotely as well when the opposition has the ball or dig as deep when the chips are down. McClean will never go missing. As I say, Kenny knows the
Man.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 12:05am
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

It is great to see an update to James’ thread, especially out of season, and look it up to see some positive news. 

I was expecting some form of social media scandal, maybe involving John Hume. 
It would be one of the more unusual footballer sex scandals, I will grant you that.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

FFS LOL

Being brainless in the tackle more often than not shouldn't warrant being called a warrior.

He should be no more than an option off the bench simple as, Connolly is operating at a higher level than him and is far more technically gifted which will be crucial when trying to keep possession away from home, something we know McClean isn't capable of.

Edited by Green Devil - 06 Aug 2020 at 12:17am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 7:55am
It was voted for by the fans, who watch the football closely and will know what McClean has brought to the team, especially at a very difficult time for Stoke. He both scored and stopped goals, and seems to have been seen as exceptionally professional, at a time when others were less so. Good for him.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

This will be the standout player-of-the-year award and is a remarkable achievement by McClean. It also reflects well on Stoke fans, most of whom must be conflicted by McClean's politics. They see him most, pay his wages, and have concluded his positives outweigh his negatives. Stephen Kenny will have the same decision to make. 

The same Stoke side, bar for the last handful of games of the season were in a relegation battle? While it was a nice achievement (remarkable is pushing it) it's not as if they had a stunning season where it was impossible to pick a POTY. McClean to his credit merely performed best in an under performing team, so the barometer wasn't exactly sky high. 

Stoke fans may well see him most, but with all due respect a 31 year old isn't going to have added anything new to his game that we (Ireland fans) haven't seen before so it's irrelevant really.

All in all, it is of course positive to see him and a number of other players finish the season strongly, on the whole the future of the Irish football team is starting to look healthier. 

But make no mistake, now is the time for us is to evolve as a footballing nation and with that you need technically gifted players packing the team as opposed to the workhorses. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 8:48am
GD kinda nailed it on the head really, didn’t want to come across as a pessimist but he’s been awarded the best of the worst.

The entire Stoke team have been shocking, Butland dropped more crosses and shots than Edward Scissorhands would which pretty much summarise their season in a nutshell.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 10:21am
He'd want to be player of the year or near it to be justifying the premier league wages he's still earning at what is currently a lower end Championship club.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 10:43am
Somebody can be happy for James in winning this award while at the same time thinking that what he's shown in the green shirt over the past 2 years or so don't warrant him being anything other than a squad player. 
Hopefully he has/can improve as nobody can question his commitment or effort but you can question his application. An improved McClean would be a big help. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:29am

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

GD kinda nailed it on the head really, didn’t want to come across as a pessimist but he’s been awarded the best of the worst.

The entire Stoke team have been shocking, Butland dropped more crosses and shots than Edward Scissorhands would which pretty much summarise their season in a nutshell.
The only thing Green Devil nailed on the head was a rotten piece of steaming bile. I'm not suggesting Stoke were anything but strugglers - but for McClean to win the supporters' vote in the face of the ongoing abuse against him is outstanding. He won it because he played good football this season despite this disgraceful added burden. Covering that win in a cloak of negativity and small-mindedness is basement stuff from you two. GD, for all his enthusiasm, comes across as an immature, longwinded dribbler. But I'm surprised and disappointed to see you charging his batteries. 

Coming from the person who has to resort to getting personal, again may I add.

Pot Kettle 

You offer absolutely nothing to a debate if you disagree with someone else's opinion, you go into holier than holy mode and go on the defensive. 

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:38am

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

So often after James gets the ball, we end up having to win it back, because of his decision making, passing or his touch. Its rare to still be in possession of the ball in general play after he's had it. 

So often when the play is stretched late on its him with the legs and will to  chase someone down too.

I think Kennys Ireland will try and look after the ball more than he can.

Can you be more precise than "so often" about McClean losing the ball please. Is it (about) 20%, 40%, 75% or more? You then up the ante by saying it's "rare" for him to retain possession - which suggests about a 95% turnover. With Ireland and Stoke?

Are you sure you're not just scapegoating McClean to flesh out a dubious theory? Is he that bad? Has he really fooled all those managers while rarely retaining possession?

Too many questions? Well, if you're going to make such a damning comment about the guy - you need  something to back it up. 

I don't need to back up with numbers his technical limitations which frequently turn over possession, its there to see for all. Particularly his second touch & when he seems to forget there is a ball to be considered when running.

I did also say he was the guy most likely to dig us out late on chasing opponents and winning it back

So, I was balanced in what I said and far from damning.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:41am
God forbid someone may have a different opinion to yours, as said above no-one could ever question McClean's commitment or desire to play for Ireland.

Every single time you don't like a certain comment, the same old ultra defensive and emotional lines get trotted out by you.

Stop taking it so personally, it's a forum. 

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:50am
You're wasting your time Scissors and GD, 

Mr Brick and Horsebox have already said that you're not permitted to have an opinion that suggests that maybe mcclean has his limitations. This is considered negative and wrong.

They would rather we pretend that all our players are superstars without objective opinion. Arguing with them inevitably triggers insults. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 389390391392393 465>
  Share Topic