You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 386387388389390 465>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Well firstly we as Irish are not a race so there is no racism involved.
Secondly his Irishness in itself is irrelevant to the hostility he receives. He antagonises people due to his politics and the dubious and provocative way he expresses his views.
 He has other options as to which country to play in so why play in England of all places if he effectively wants to declare a war on Britain? Could he possibly just enjoy the attention and the cred it give him back on the streets of Derry?
Well there it is. The worst post I’ve ever read on YBIG.
.        I thought you(Frank'snohairnow)believed I was the worst posterCry
Sponsored Links

Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 1:05am

Secondly his Irishness in itself is irrelevant to the hostility he receives. He antagonises people due to his politics and the dubious and provocative way he expresses his views.
 He has other options as to which country to play in so why play in England of all places if he effectively wants to declare a war on Britain? Could he possibly just enjoy the attention and the cred it give him back on the streets of Derry?

I have seen a lot of ridiculous posts on this site over this years but this one takes the biscuit. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 1:20pm
James and Niall McGinn, who has come out in support of James, were interviewed on Radio Ulster programme ' Talkback ' just now. Both came across well, giving very honest accounts of the levels of abuse they and their families have had to endure over the years including bullets sent in the post. Most of the phone calls coming in to the programme were strongly sympathetic, support also from journalist Emmett Malone and SF politician Elisha McCallion, who is from Derry. Opposition of a sort was provided by thick as mince DUP politician Gregory Campbell, also from Derry ( or Londonderry ,as he refers to it ). I suspect that Gregory might have been perusing this forum on the sly as he reiterated some of the most transparently stupid and diversionary arguments that have been trotted out here. All couched in general condemnations of all abuse, of course.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Well there it is. The worst post I’ve ever read on YBIG.

and out of 2,243,800 posts it's a hard accolade to get
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 2:10pm

I suppose he could always head home ... oh wait sure the Brits are there too. 

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 2:31pm
Agreed stupid post. 

Edited by aviva8 - 15 Jul 2020 at 2:31pm
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:00pm
Most people in the Republic are simply unable to grasp the situation in the north in the way that James and others living there or with familial links to the six counties do.

Whelan88 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whelan88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 3:52am
There'll always be a quotient of dullards in English Football grounds who equate support for a United Ireland with being 'a Provo' or 'IRA', they're usually the chickenhawk 'Loyalist' British Nationalist types whom are attracted to Ulster Loyalism because of it's belligerent machismo and anti-intellectualism.

McClean explained himself fully about his stance and stated that if it was related to WW1/2 he'd wear one every match. He doesn't always help himself, he could have just stood in line and ignored GSTQ with his head down as a WBA player and I think that recent Balaclava post might have been meant in a spirit of self-parody that went awry. But at the end of the day he's only a baller not some senior politico or statesman.
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:48am
This thread should be moved to the ROTW section. 

Edited by Yiksheemash - 16 Jul 2020 at 9:48am
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 12:13pm
I used to wear a poppy when I lived in London, but I'm not from the North and loved living in the UK. I appreciate James' stance on this but he seems to make it worse for himself. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 9:39pm
7 goals and 7 assists for a player who was out injured for 10 games and played a good few games at left back.

That's a respectable return for a team who were constantly playing in around the relegation zone.

He's the 4th top goal scorer at Stoke too.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/stoke-city/top-scorers

How does that compare to other Irish players playing in the Championships does any one know.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 10:18pm
McLean has done well on the goals front this season, I'd like to see Jason Knight who has 6 goals this season given a chance.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 11:02pm
What about McClean?

He started losing credibility for me when he started wearing an Alice band.

Surely even a poppy would be preferable.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 22 Jul 2020 at 11:03pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 11:20pm
McClean is wearing an Alice band?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

McClean is wearing an Alice band?

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 11:50pm
Still a top player. Gareth McAuley was rubbishing him in the Sunday Life a few days ago, claiming Michael O'Neill would show him the door as he was too controversial. Bollocks. He's one of Stoke's most valuable assets. He and young Doherty are certs to play in front of Coleman and Stevens for the Slovakia game. Excellent defensively as well as attackers.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 12:08am
 He remains a useful asset for us. Wholehearted, pacy, a hard worker. He'll continue to be a a regular in our squad, I should imagine.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 12:10am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

7 goals and 7 assists for a player who was out injured for 10 games and played a good few games at left back.

That's a respectable return for a team who were constantly playing in around the relegation zone.

He's the 4th top goal scorer at Stoke too.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/stoke-city/top-scorers

How does that compare to other Irish players playing in the Championships does any one know.

Second behind Collins in goals scored

Player Goals
James Collins 14
James McClean 7
Jason Knight 6
Sean Maguire 5
Ryan Manning 5

Joint best assists with Manning

Player Assists
James McClean 7
Ryan Manning 7
Dan Crowley 5