Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 385386387388389 465>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Just what was his explanation for the baraclava ?

I often think the same about people who wear leather jackets and cool sunglasses, how dare they glorify Nazis!

ok Gok try again 

Try and what, make the humble suggestion that a piece of clothing cannot be considered "evil" in and of itself?

There is a more serious point at play however; you believe James deserves the abuse he gets because he has worn a "symbol" related to a group of people responsible for around 1500/1600 deaths, yet it is perfectly societally acceptable in Britain to openly wear a symbol related to a group who have been responsible for the deaths of literal millions over the past few centuries. James doesn't even vilify people for wearing that symbol like they do him for wearing his, he simply doesn't want to be forced to wear it himself. There's a beautiful irony in that.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 12:20pm

I often think the same about people who wear leather jackets and cool sunglasses, how dare they glorify Nazis!

ok Gok try again 

Try and what, make the humble suggestion that a piece of clothing cannot be considered "evil" in and of itself?

There is a more serious point at play however; you believe James deserves the abuse he gets because he has worn a "symbol" related to a group of people responsible for around 1500/1600 deaths, yet it is perfectly societally acceptable in Britain to openly wear a symbol related to a group who have been responsible for the deaths of literal millions over the past few centuries. James doesn't even vilify people for wearing that symbol like they do him for wearing his, he simply doesn't want to be forced to wear it himself. There's a beautiful irony in that.

Would you ever extract your head from JMC's arse and answer the question without reverting to whataboutery ? 

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 12:22pm

ok Gok try again 

Would you ever extract your head from JMC's arse and answer the question without reverting to whataboutery ? 

Is whataboutery what they're calling hypocrisy these days? Fair enough.
We're decent enough..
Pubes View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 2:15pm
this thread proves how accurate his statement is.  The lack of support from his own fans!

Maybe it's only the 6 county fans that understand him?

The balaclava question that has been repeatedly asked is a joke but an accurate vision of his and his towns history... and that is due to the Brits who terrorised it.
Which leads me to the poppy...he knows his history, and therefore chooses just like Matic chooses, not to wear that political symbol.

Who gets the abuse...McLean.. not Matic.. and to say he brings it on himself? Bollocks. He defends himself is all.  Show me evidence Matic has recieved the same abuse or any at all?

Football says it keeps politics out.. yet the poppy is forced on players and pundits for a month or more each year... and then this new BLM movement, but that's another story.

Edited by Pubes - 14 Jul 2020 at 2:15pm
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 2:38pm
The Brits aren't likely to be so receptive to his political stance though, same as if a band of British nationalists went parading around the Bogside holding up Parachute regiment banners and chanting 'No Surrender' they too may encounter a fair share of Sectarian abuse back. That is why you need to be sensitive to the environment you are in.
Other Ireland players, who are equally in most cases Irish and Catholic, don't wade in on McClean's side precisely because they know he is going out of his way to antagonise people with the minimum amount of discretion possible. At least Matic doesn't seem intend on launching himself in to the Serb political arena as the new Slobodan Milosevic, he just follows his choices with as little fuss as possible but that is not the McClean way.
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

some boys on here would feel at home on OWC.

ClapClapClap 

Fair play to JMC, standing up for himself. As he said on talk sport, he is no angel but years of abuse sometimes you are going to act out. Imagine every day in your work people were hurling abuse at you, you are going to eventually reach boiling point. 

Also I have seen some absolutely idiots on twitter trying to justify the abuse he gets, nothing can justify bullets being sent to his family home. 

Find it mental that some people on here believe he is in the wrong. 
Tribesman91 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribesman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 3:45pm
Surely you're not surprised that The Greatest Bandwagon Supporters in the World aren't backing a cause that's not currently fashionable?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

The Brits aren't likely to be so receptive to his political stance though, same as if a band of British nationalists went parading around the Bogside holding up Parachute regiment banners and chanting 'No Surrender' they too may encounter a fair share of Sectarian abuse back. That is why you need to be sensitive to the environment you are in.
Other Ireland players, who are equally in most cases Irish and Catholic, don't wade in on McClean's side precisely because they know he is going out of his way to antagonise people with the minimum amount of discretion possible. At least Matic doesn't seem intend on launching himself in to the Serb political arena as the new Slobodan Milosevic, he just follows his choices with as little fuss as possible but that is not the McClean way.

Do you realise how insane what are saying is? Basically, you're accepting the (racist) view that it is fine to be Irish/Muslim/etc so long as you don't "rock the boat" and upset your English hosts. That is not acceptance and equality, it's conditional toleration.

It's absolutely no different to what the likes of Trump and his ilk say to Kaepernick and other African Americans, "we don't care that you're black so long as you stand for the anthem/don't disrespect the flag/etc".

If you have to put caveats on your respect for other groups, and you can't accept them when they express themselves in a way that is relevant to their own heritage, then you aren't really in favour of equality. You are essentially saying to these people "I'll put up with you, but only to the extent that you keep your head down and remain invisible". That is unequivocally racist.
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 5:53pm

If you have to put caveats on your respect for other groups, and you can't accept them when they express themselves in a way that is relevant to their own heritage, then you aren't really in favour of equality. You are essentially saying to these people "I'll put up with you, but only to the extent that you keep your head down and remain invisible". That is unequivocally racist.
[/QUOTE]

Edited by Conan - 14 Jul 2020 at 5:53pm
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 5:54pm
Well firstly we as Irish are not a race so there is no racism involved.
Secondly his Irishness in itself is irrelevant to the hostility he receives. He antagonises people due to his politics and the dubious and provocative way he expresses his views.
 He has other options as to which country to play in so why play in England of all places if he effectively wants to declare a war on Britain? Could he possibly just enjoy the attention and the cred it give him back on the streets of Derry?
Pubes View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:43pm

Secondly his Irishness in itself is irrelevant to the hostility he receives. He antagonises people due to his politics and the dubious and provocative way he expresses his views.
 He has other options as to which country to play in so why play in England of all places if he effectively wants to declare a war on Britain? 

What a ridiculous comment..  How has he ever declared war on Britain? And if not racist, its xenophobic. Or does that word only work when its against someone from isreal?
You sound like the typical unionist on twitter with an English flag after your name  with comments such as "dont play and get paid your british sterling with the queens head on it, you'll take our money, bla bla bla"
If anything when it comes to not wearing a poppy he puts out a well written statement expressing his reasons not to, and also offering his support for those who fought in the world wars.  But still he is abused for simply not wearing it and being of a nationalist back ground 

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:51pm

He has other options as to which country to play in so why play in England of all places if he effectively wants to declare a war on Britain? Could he possibly just enjoy the attention and the cred it give him back on the streets of Derry?
Well there it is. The worst post I’ve ever read on YBIG.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 6:53pm
Conan is making me miss Terri!
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 7:07pm
If only James got the adulation from his team mates and the football community that he gets from his target audience on here  Hug when ever opens his ass to come out with this kind of stuff he would be so much less of a malcontent .
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 7:38pm
Getting notes saying they hope his kids get covid and die, disgraceful regardless of what james does or says and it not even looked into by the authorities. How is that right???
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 8:24pm
James is 100% right in what he is saying
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Well there it is. The worst post I’ve ever read on YBIG.
I've been back keeping an eye after Jack's death, but the problem with this place is that unbelievable stupidity seems attracted to it, which would explain why I am replying!

For the absolute simpleton who made the original post: race doesn't exist, racism does. It's very f**king simple. The latter was created to make the former acceptable. The fact that almost a century after any decent scientist has removed the debate around race science, we still have to explain this to f**king ignorant ****s is why there's a Black Lives Matter. No doubt you believe in 'All Lives Matter' and other such ignorance. For clarity, you are the same race as Genghis Khan, Muhammad Ali, Albert Einstein, Yasser Arafat, Nelson Mandela and the Healy Raes, you just have more in common with the latter. There are some tremendous books on the subject, I strongly recommend you pick up one or two. Angela Saini's 'Superior' would be an excellent modern starting point.

As for the 'sectarianism' he receives... this is also nonsense. As someone who has been an atheist since I was eight years of age, I can assure you that I have also, when I lived in London at least, been a victim to it. It isn't sectarianism: it's anti- Irish racism. McClean stands up more to it and thus gets more of it. Nobody is obliged to wear a Poppy, indeed my argument has always been that it is insulting to those who have survived the British Army that charity should be required to help them return to society,  when that should be the responsibility of the state they served, but not wearing one isn't an acceptable reason for abuse. I also don't think holding republicanism as a belief isn't enough for abuse, certainly not the levels he receives. 

Sometimes though, it must be said, that McClean doesn't help himself. The timing, more than the wording, although the latter could have been ran past someone with a bit more sensitivity in these issues, doesn't help his cause. Many, if not all, will get his frustration, but trying to hijack and, it will seem, if unintentionally, to use racism other people have received to express his own injustices comes across badly. He has every right to be frustrated, but there are ways and means. It came across as crass to someone who strongly agrees with his basic points; it may come across as worse to those who don't understand them.
People may also say that the 'balaclava' thing was a joke, and it was funny, to a point, but it was incredibly stupid given his employment situation. That doesn't make the abuse acceptable. I'm sure there's an argument that he could make, if he thought about it rationally and psychologically, that the reaction was a result of the initial reactions: that the 'joke' would never have been made without the need to show his defiance of his background.  Nevertheless, it was ill-advised, as was the timing and wording of this.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 9:05pm

I don't think I need to say any more, you've exposed the ridiculousness of your own argument for me.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 385386387388389 465>
  Share Topic