Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 286287288289290 465>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

WTF, a debate about him starting? There is none.....played with an injured back in Vienna and netted the winner, dug us out of a hole in Moldova, played a stormer v Wales the week his good pal McBride died and that absolutely MAGNIFICENT goal yesterday.

Honest to Jaysus, some of yiz haven't a clue

Scored his goal coming off the bench against Uruguay.
Sponsored Links

dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:27am
McClean has to start, he's probably are most in form player right now and with 3 goals; he's our top scorer in these qualifiers. Austria need to win and will have to come at us, whether its early on or a late push, we need McClean on the field to capatailize on the space that will be left in behind.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:40am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

WTF, a debate about him starting? There is none.....played with an injured back in Vienna and netted the winner, dug us out of a hole in Moldova, played a stormer v Wales the week his good pal McBride died and that absolutely MAGNIFICENT goal yesterday.

Eh of course he did, he played 90 minutes on Thursday, he was never gonna start v Uruguay.

My point is it's absolutely clueless for anyone to suggest he is better coming off the bench.  He's become one of the first names on the teamsheet since the Italy game in the Euros.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 12:55pm

Eh of course he did, he played 90 minutes on Thursday, he was never gonna start v Uruguay.

My point is it's absolutely clueless for anyone to suggest he is better coming off the bench.  He's become one of the first names on the teamsheet since the Italy game in the Euros.

Hardly clueless for people to think he would be better untilised coming off the bench to run at tiring legs.

Robbie Brady is a much better footballer than James and many beleive LW is his best position, the only postion McClean can play for what its worth so it's just as well Brady is versatile.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 1:41pm
Centre mid in a three is Brady's best position and that's how he'll appear on Sunday with McClean in his usual spot.

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 2:39pm

Hardly clueless for people to think he would be better untilised coming off the bench to run at tiring legs.

Robbie Brady is a much better footballer than James and many beleive LW is his best position, the only postion McClean can play for what its worth so it's just as well Brady is versatile.

This the James McClean who's also played left back and up front in the past, yeah?

Pointless debate anyway, he'll be starting on Sunday.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

This the James McClean who's also played left back and up front in the past, yeah?

John O'Shea has played in nets doesn't make him a goalkeeper, McClean is a left winger and that's about it I also agree he will start against Austria which I'm happy with but when we have everyone fit and available I would rather have Brady on the left with James coming off the bench.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 4:30pm

John O'Shea has played in nets doesn't make him a goalkeeper, McClean is a left winger and that's about it I also agree he will start against Austria which I'm happy with but when we have everyone fit and available I would rather have Brady on the left with James coming off the bench.
I remember John Barnes in tights, can never remember O'Shea in nets though. I do remember the rumours alright mind you.
JohnWilson 1991 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnWilson 1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:21pm
Should be no debate at all whether he starts or not, he's playing class at the moment. We can bring one of Horgan, McGeady, O'Dowda or Hayes to come on and run at tired legs.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:45pm

Ah, I was just taking the mick, I tend to agree although he has played a good few games at left bak and been moved up front on occasion.

Brady on the right with Walters up top, Wes in the ten, Arter and Hendrick in the centre with McClean on the left anyone? 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by JohnWilson 1991 JohnWilson 1991 wrote:

Should be no debate at all whether he starts or not, he's playing class at the moment. We can bring one of Horgan, McGeady, O'Dowda or Hayes to come on and run at tired legs.
There is as much chance of Isaac getting a run as Jonny.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 6:39pm
He'll start and deserves a start, but it's a fair point that he might do more damage coming on fresh running at a tiring defence in the second half.
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 9:02pm
Its all well and good saying that we should bring McClean on against a tiring defence but what happens if after 60 minutes the Austrians are leading and have decided to camp 10 men in their own half to see out the game. That scenario doesnt suit McClean as he's much better on the counter when teams are leaving space in behind. Then everyone will be asking why didnt McClean start. There's another thread debating the choice of keeper with Westwood winning out based on form, but those in favour of Randolph are claiming when has he let us down. Well McClean is in damn fine form and id struggle to find a more committed player than McClean who rarely lets us down. He has to start, end of.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 9:18pm
That is about right, the problem is having to accommodate Brady elsewhere which diminishes him somewhat. I would be quiet happy if Brady was pushed wide right to cut in and hopefully Christie can play like last Sunday pushing on past him. I don't think Brady is anywhere near as effective in central midfield and when himself and Hendrick are in there together we lose all structure and shape.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:43pm
Yep.

RB's left foot is an asset to the team and we should utilise it as much as possible. It's fine playing wide players on their narrow side if they have an attacking full back to give the team width - which we do. If we could get Robbie to have 3 or 4 more strikes on goal in each game we would score more .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 11:40pm
http://www.derryjournal.com/news/three-local-legends-to-feature-on-new-derry-bus-1-7993260. On another note the wife hit Phil Coulter as he was crossing the road in armagh a few years ago, unfortunately no damage was done
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 12:52am

Brady on the right with Walters up top, Wes in the ten, Arter and Hendrick in the centre with McClean on the left anyone? 

Perfect. Thats what I'm hoping he goes with
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 7:51am

Ah, I was just taking the mick, I tend to agree although he has played a good few games at left bak and been moved up front on occasion.

Yea I hope he goes with this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 286287288289290 465>
  Share Topic