You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 465>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Danny Invincible Danny Invincible wrote:

Was that James first competitive assist of the season? Fans seem to be behind him as well and are really appreciating his overall input and work-rate. Great to see.

With poppy-mania fast approaching its climax again, I wrote a piece about James' principled stance, suggestions that he is in need of a history lesson, the nature and meaning of the symbol (especially in respect of the north of Ireland) and the episode with the Sunderland fans and players last weekend. You can read it here, if interested: https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com/2015/10/25/james-and-the-giant-poppy-episode-three/

Any comment or criticism most welcome.

Clap Absolutely agree with what you have written, no need for me say anymore as you have summed up my feelings in the article. Well written man and something that should be read by others who are giving mcclean a hard time.

Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Sponsored Links

Danny Invincible View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Invincible Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by Danny Invincible Danny Invincible wrote:

Was that James first competitive assist of the season? Fans seem to be behind him as well and are really appreciating his overall input and work-rate. Great to see.

With poppy-mania fast approaching its climax again, I wrote a piece about James' principled stance, suggestions that he is in need of a history lesson, the nature and meaning of the symbol (especially in respect of the north of Ireland) and the episode with the Sunderland fans and players last weekend. You can read it here, if interested: https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com/2015/10/25/james-and-the-giant-poppy-episode-three/

Any comment or criticism most welcome.

Clap Absolutely agree with what you have written, no need for me say anymore as you have summed up my feelings in the article. Well written man and something that should be read by others who are giving mcclean a hard time.

Cheers for the positive words. Not only is he singled out and victimised over his personal beliefs, but he's then subjected to victim-blaming after enduring the abuse. It's bigotry and xenophobia (given his stance is a particularly Irish one), pure and simple.
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 7:27pm
I love this. The author you quoted in your piece can merrily explain to us all what the poopy REALLY stands for. Fair dues. Well then maybe James should agree to wear one so long as those who berate him currently agree to wave Irish tricolours. Given what it really stands for? A fair compromise??
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
lfcsixty/eighty View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfcsixty/eighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 9:04pm
Superb piece. Brilliantly written. Well worth a read. Fair play ClapClapClap
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 12:34am
What`s this, a Celtic fans forum, with "bhoy" at the end of every 2nd poster`s username?

Sorry, lads, I`m not into that narrow-minded and bigoted Glasgow Derby crap. I`m an Irish Hoop who supports an Irish club - and not some faux-Irish club who operate over in the British city of Glasgow. If Mc Clean has such a problem with where he earns his millions - ie. England - then he should fook off to the continent and ply his trade in the French or Belgian leagues.

Good jaysis tonight, the man earns more in a week than I earn in a year and I`m supposed to feel sorry for him?! Now where`s Denis Irwin when we need him - a dignified and modest player from Southern Ireland who respected the opportunities that football gave him in England. 

Irwin was a thinking man and a champion schoolboy chess player in his youth. But he kept whatever political convictions he had to himself and just quietly went about focusing on his football. He didn`t do attention-seeking and I`m sure he would`ve considered himself above that kind of crass behaviour. 
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 12:41am
wow. I was going to write a riposte, I had started, but it is actually impossible to make a logical response to any of the ramblings put forward. The best I can do in this situation is ask; did you enjoy your evening at Jerry Garcia's?
Bally O Telly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bally O Telly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 1:30am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

What`s this, a Celtic fans forum, with "bhoy" at the end of every 2nd poster`s username?

Sorry, lads, I`m not into that narrow-minded and bigoted Glasgow Derby crap. I`m an Irish Hoop who supports an Irish club - and not some faux-Irish club who operate over in the British city of Glasgow. If Mc Clean has such a problem with where he earns his millions - ie. England - then he should fook off to the continent and ply his trade in the French or Belgian leagues.

Good jaysis tonight, the man earns more in a week than I earn in a year and I`m supposed to feel sorry for him?! Now where`s Denis Irwin when we need him - a dignified and modest player from Southern Ireland who respected the opportunities that football gave him in England. 

Irwin was a thinking man and a champion schoolboy chess player in his youth. But he kept whatever political convictions he had to himself and just quietly went about focusing on his football. He didn`t do attention-seeking and I`m sure he would`ve considered himself above that kind of crass behaviour. 

I do not agree, McClean is in England to play football, not to take part in military parades or glorify what is left of the British empire.

Keep politics out of football and out of wearing poppies, if you want to wear one fine, there is nobody stopping you but don't force others to do the same.

You praise Irwin for keeping his political convictions to himself and that is what McClean did, let's face it poppy day is all about *not* keeping your political conviction to yourself, indeed it is worse than that, it is pressurising others to feign support for a political conviction they may not support., I expect someone as smart as Irwin could see that! LOL
I imagine being a chess player he can see a few moves ahead. Wink

Also you seem to imply McCean s unthinking, that is far from the truth, indeed his actions show he has thought about what he does instead of mindless going along with the flow, taking the easy route.

As it happens it seems McClean has won a lot support from football supporters, including sunderland fans, they may not agree with what he didn't but they respect his right to do it.

Football supporters tend to like players who show a bit of fight and spirit on the pitch, indeed it seems to have even inspired the Sunderland players into putting a bit of effort into their own performance and actually win a game.LOL
Their first of the season I might add.Clap
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 2:12am
Should everyone in Britain opposed to war f**k off to the continent then? Should everyone opposed to the monarchy - including a man who could potentially be the next Prime Minister - f**k off to the continent?

He dislikes the past military actions taken by the state he is in. Not the English people, English living or any of the rest of it. How is this so hard to understand? Of course if we use your logic and take objections to past military actions as indicative of an attitude to the country as a whole: if you disagreed with the Iraq war, we did let US jets refuel here....so if you hate Ireland so much away and join McClean on the continent!

Nobody in any sport or indeed any walk of life should be pressured into making a political statement they don't agree with. 'Get on with it' does not apply whatsoever

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 28 Oct 2015 at 2:16am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 2:32am

Pure nonsense.

Denis Irwin? Ha? Fook off to BelGium or France? Wha? Chess? Celtic? Wha??
So JMC should fook off from Derry too then as it isn't 'Southern Ireland'?
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 6:16am
McClean is just removing himself from the equation. He isn't wearing one, he isn't disrespecting them. He's just keeping his nose out of it.

If he were to call on other players to do the same or attempt to have the wearing of it banned then I might have an issue with him, but he doesn't. He's keeping neutral.

I don't want to have to read his open letter every year. People should leave him get on with it.
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 11:03am

LOL what are you getting your panties in a twist about internet user names.

Your say he should fuk off if he doesnt agree with it? why should he endorse something that hes quite obviously against? 

Does he not have the freedom to make his own choices in life to pick and choose what he does? so therefore why should he be forced to get involved in this poppy crap?

He clearly said he respected all of those that fought in the two wars and had no problem with that, what he has a problem with is the latter days where the british army murdered and colluded with murderers in this country. They actively covered up murder and denied justice to the families of loved ones they murdered, all in the same city and area which he grew up.

Ive no problem with anyone wearing one or remembering it at this time, ive total respect for those who fell in the two wars, but like others i will chose not to take part. Its my right to do so, the same as James.
put em under pressure!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 11:08am
Anyway swiftly moving on from politics, isn't it great to see McClean doing really well at a Premiership club?

Dismissing the myth that he wasn't good enough to do it regularly in the Premiership.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Anyway swiftly moving on from politics, isn't it great to see McClean doing really well at a Premiership club?

Dismissing the myth that he wasn't good enough to do it regularly in the Premiership.
He hasn't been great in fainress, hopefully a start of a decent run
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

He's done well, never mentioned that he was playing great....
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

HelloBarry View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelloBarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 1:05pm
LOL

Edited by HelloBarry - 28 Oct 2015 at 1:08pm
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 2:54pm

Well you said really well, anyway imo he hasn't really don't anything for West Brom this season up until the weekend.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 6:30pm
Loved how he was getting booed as he was running on to the ball and then whips in a fantastic cross for the goal. That's the way he'll continue to shut opposition crowds up hopefully.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 7:19pm

Well you said really well, anyway imo he hasn't really don't anything for West Brom this season up until the weekend.

He was very good against Sunderland the previous week.

Did ok against Everton until the whole team collapsed, was good vs Villa in a very good team performance. 

So in the past month he's done pretty well. This is a player who isn't anywhere near good enough to play in the Premiership according to some. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 465>
  Share Topic