You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Weather

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 180>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

The lad that was killed up here was returning home from work.

Not everyone everyone had the luxury of being told to stay at home
His employer should be hung out to dry for not closing their office.

Imagine if they had of just closed for one day. The one day in the last 50 years where we had a code red weather warning. That man would be alive today. It's f**king disgraceful people we're told by their employer to either come to work or stay at home but you're not getting paid.
Not sure who's to blame or whatever, but where I work I'd say 60-70% of showed up to work only to be told to go home again. 2 unnecessary journeys that could have been tragic. 

Bit of a inquiry today as to what we could have done to prevent people coming in. Management had a call on Sunday afternoon to decide that they could tell staff to stay home, but when it came to it, each manager had to tell their staff. Turns out half of my team had decided "sod that, I don't want my boss to have my private number" so he didn't have numbers for all of them. They were available to HR but HR couldn't call/text 600 people on a Sunday afternoon.

Why not?
Exactly. Imagine you'd been given the day off but HR weren't bothered to let you know because there were too many people to get in touch with so instead to went to work and were sent home, then you got injured on the way.

My missus works for the company that employs 1,000 people and they were all let know the night before. It's not asking much to send out a company wide email telling people to stay at home.

Another issue I found was that a few of my mates were told it up to them if they wanted to go to work or not, so basically the company saying if you stay at home grand but you won't get paid. That's basically holding your employees to ransom. Not everyone can afford to be taking unpaid leave from work which is equally disgraceful.
The logistics of Mr HR man sitting at home, typing out 600 text messages. Storm would be over before he's done. We don't have emails on our phones so company wide email wasn't available till Monday morning.

In your example above, shure you could be hit by a bus after work today - company's not liable. If people are that concerned for their safety they took the governments warning and stayed indoors for the day. I can see both sides of the argument.

Agree with ONXD, a lot of companies were shown up.

Eh what?

If you get hit by a bus after work that's nothing to do with your employer. However if the government have advised you to stay at home because there is a hurricane on the way and your employer forces your hand to go to work and you get hit by a fallen tree, then it is their fault and they should be held responsible.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:28pm
In fairness the lad was on his way home from work early, same and i did, and many others

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:33pm

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

The lad that was killed up here was returning home from work.

Not everyone everyone had the luxury of being told to stay at home
His employer should be hung out to dry for not closing their office.

Imagine if they had of just closed for one day. The one day in the last 50 years where we had a code red weather warning. That man would be alive today. It's f**king disgraceful people we're told by their employer to either come to work or stay at home but you're not getting paid.
Not sure who's to blame or whatever, but where I work I'd say 60-70% of showed up to work only to be told to go home again. 2 unnecessary journeys that could have been tragic. 

Bit of a inquiry today as to what we could have done to prevent people coming in. Management had a call on Sunday afternoon to decide that they could tell staff to stay home, but when it came to it, each manager had to tell their staff. Turns out half of my team had decided "sod that, I don't want my boss to have my private number" so he didn't have numbers for all of them. They were available to HR but HR couldn't call/text 600 people on a Sunday afternoon.

Why not?
Exactly. Imagine you'd been given the day off but HR weren't bothered to let you know because there were too many people to get in touch with so instead to went to work and were sent home, then you got injured on the way.

My missus works for the company that employs 1,000 people and they were all let know the night before. It's not asking much to send out a company wide email telling people to stay at home.

Another issue I found was that a few of my mates were told it up to them if they wanted to go to work or not, so basically the company saying if you stay at home grand but you won't get paid. That's basically holding your employees to ransom. Not everyone can afford to be taking unpaid leave from work which is equally disgraceful.
The logistics of Mr HR man sitting at home, typing out 600 text messages. Storm would be over before he's done. We don't have emails on our phones so company wide email wasn't available till Monday morning.

In your example above, shure you could be hit by a bus after work today - company's not liable. If people are that concerned for their safety they took the governments warning and stayed indoors for the day. I can see both sides of the argument.

Agree with ONXD, a lot of companies were shown up.

Eh what?

If you get hit by a bus after work that's nothing to do with your employer. However if the government have advised you to stay at home because there is a hurricane on the way and your employer forces your hand to go to work and you get hit by a fallen tree, then it is their fault and they should be held responsible.
Ah yeah if they forced you to go to work then the company is an idiot
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:43pm
Do you know what the ironic thing is ... absolute gobsh*tes going swimming and kite surfing and walking on piers & they survive . Then you have others trying to get home for safety and their lives are taken
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Do you know what the ironic thing is ... absolute gobsh*tes going swimming and kite surfing and walking on piers & they survive . Then you have others trying to get home for safety and their lives are taken

God has a way of protecting the stupid
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:49pm
The Daniel Day suspended until Wednesday morning at the earliest
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Jaysus talk about an overreaction. It's going to be a bit breezy tomorrow. If you lived in Clonakilty or somewhere like that, I'd understand, but a three bed semi d in Cabinteely is going to be grand.

Overreaction?

Tell that to the families of the deceased, those without power and people who have had their property destroyed.

Crass post and sadly seem a lot of it today.

It was in reply to the pictures of people queueing up in Dublin supermarkets, so I stand by it.

Too many people acting the hardman yesterday with comments about it only being a bit of wind etc. The advice was out for a reason and ptobably saved lives as most people were sensible enough to stay inside.

well done tough guy..m

I stayed in all day as well. I was talking about Dublin, where it was little more than a normal gale. I'm not exactly acting the hardman by pointing out that those eejits queueing for hours in Tesco in Dundrum or wherever for almond milk and batteries might have been overreacting. Hell, I even name checked Clonakilty as a place where that sort of behaviour was understandable! Stop trying to be offended.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:55pm
I read that the two kite surfers in Dundalk want to put in a complaint against emergency services for disrupting them.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:57pm

I read that the two kite surfers in Dundalk want to put in a complaint against emergency services for disrupting them.

Kin ellLOL

These coonts should be sent to Siberia
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Kin ellLOL

These coonts should be sent to Siberia

Siberia or El Paso. Busman's holiday.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 1:00pm

Cheeky cooonts should be f**king grateful they weren't billed
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 1:00pm
Re the HR thing and contacting employees.

Unfortunately, not all have access to an employee database via their phone that sends out an email en masse. Also, not everyone has a work email. Also also, not everybody checks their email regardless of what's going on outside. Many layers.

I for one struggled Sunday evening making calls and getting the news out there.

One thing though, companies will have contingency plans in place in case of another episode. Probably going to become more frequent anyway.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Cheeky cooonts should be f**king grateful they weren't billed

Billed for what?

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by DonkeyOatey DonkeyOatey wrote:

Originally posted by Onyd Onyd wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Three absolutely tragic deaths and certainly in my area of Tallaght, we got away fierce lightly.

I believe the Met Éireann and the Govt were absolutely right to not underestimate Ophelia, with the amount of fallen trees and flying objects, it's highly probable a good deal more than three would've died.  I didn't leave me gaff all day except to go the back garden for me dogs to go the jacks.

Exactly. 100s of fallen trees across the east coast and this ONYD bellend wants it downgraded. Imagine how many more deaths there’d have been...
Hold up old chap. That's not what I said. Bad as it was in the nation's capital and its commuter towns it was nowhere near as bad as Cork and the West coast. I'm simply asking was the same approach accross the board the right call. Getting people off the roads in Dublin city was not needed. It was in rural areas.

Please have the manners to engage your brain.

Why take a chance though? Was one day. Storm wasn't bad where I am at all but still a number of uprooted trees that tore half the footpath with them. Best advice across the board for the safety of all was stay inside.

100% it was the right call. Trees down all over Dublin, if people were out and about there’ be far more injured and or killed.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 10:46am
Still no electricity, told this morning it'll be back before 8pm Friday Thumbs Down
Some people just deserve a slap
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Still no electricity, told this morning it'll be back before 8pm Friday Thumbs Down

Just in time for storm Brian to knock it off again

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 2:15pm

Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Just in time for storm Brian to knock it off again

Sad but true unfortunately. Phone lines down too so that'll be a week they said. Great craic at home at the minute with no electricity, heat or water. All the food in the fridge and freezer may be pegged out now  too
Some people just deserve a slap
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:20pm
Brother has the same issue down in Cork with no leccy.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 180>
  Share Topic