You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Weather

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104 180>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonkeyOatey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Onyd Onyd wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Three absolutely tragic deaths and certainly in my area of Tallaght, we got away fierce lightly.

I believe the Met Éireann and the Govt were absolutely right to not underestimate Ophelia, with the amount of fallen trees and flying objects, it's highly probable a good deal more than three would've died.  I didn't leave me gaff all day except to go the back garden for me dogs to go the jacks.

Exactly. 100s of fallen trees across the east coast and this ONYD bellend wants it downgraded. Imagine how many more deaths there’d have been...
Hold up old chap. That's not what I said. Bad as it was in the nation's capital and its commuter towns it was nowhere near as bad as Cork and the West coast. I'm simply asking was the same approach accross the board the right call. Getting people off the roads in Dublin city was not needed. It was in rural areas.

Please have the manners to engage your brain.

Why take a chance though? Was one day. Storm wasn't bad where I am at all but still a number of uprooted trees that tore half the footpath with them. Best advice across the board for the safety of all was stay inside.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

It needs to be said they there were 3 absolutely needless deaths today. Why didn't these people heed the warnings. It's tragic but they were preventable

Are you blaming the people themselves for this?

I'm not 'blaming' anyone. I understand there are now 3 grieving families. But the fact is that all the emergency services were advising people not to drive and to stay in doors. So unless these 3 individuals were out because they themselves were in an unavoidable emergency situation then there deaths were preventable.

The lad that was killed up here was returning home from work.

Not everyone everyone had the luxury of being told to stay at home

His employer should be hung out to dry for not closing their office.

Imagine if they had of just closed for one day. The one day in the last 50 years where we had a code red weather warning. That man would be alive today. It's f**king disgraceful people we're told by their employer to either come to work or stay at home but you're not getting paid.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:18am
Originally posted by DonkeyOatey DonkeyOatey wrote:

Originally posted by Onyd Onyd wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Three absolutely tragic deaths and certainly in my area of Tallaght, we got away fierce lightly.

I believe the Met Éireann and the Govt were absolutely right to not underestimate Ophelia, with the amount of fallen trees and flying objects, it's highly probable a good deal more than three would've died.  I didn't leave me gaff all day except to go the back garden for me dogs to go the jacks.

Exactly. 100s of fallen trees across the east coast and this ONYD bellend wants it downgraded. Imagine how many more deaths there’d have been...
Hold up old chap. That's not what I said. Bad as it was in the nation's capital and its commuter towns it was nowhere near as bad as Cork and the West coast. I'm simply asking was the same approach accross the board the right call. Getting people off the roads in Dublin city was not needed. It was in rural areas.

Please have the manners to engage your brain.

Why take a chance though? Was one day. Storm wasn't bad where I am at all but still a number of uprooted trees that tore half the footpath with them. Best advice across the board for the safety of all was stay inside.

This, Seen a few uprooted trees along the Oscar Traynor road on way to work this morning. mostly young beech trees but if one of them hit you you'd know about it.

The government made the right call. Tragically 3 people died, thanks to government warning that is less then it could have been.

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:21am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

I just sent the quare wan down to the chinese, told her it would be dodgy to take the car so she should walk and she said ok, i was only doing it so she could get a good airing of her box

Charming.....in the morning why don’t you read your post out loud to your mother or your daughter.
Save me the hassel and read it out to yours Thumbs Up i cant make Glasnevin plus the internet is sh*te there
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Jaysus talk about an overreaction. It's going to be a bit breezy tomorrow. If you lived in Clonakilty or somewhere like that, I'd understand, but a three bed semi d in Cabinteely is going to be grand.

Overreaction?

Tell that to the families of the deceased, those without power and people who have had their property destroyed.

Crass post and sadly seem a lot of it today.

It was in reply to the pictures of people queueing up in Dublin supermarkets, so I stand by it.

Too many people acting the hardman yesterday with comments about it only being a bit of wind etc. The advice was out for a reason and ptobably saved lives as most people were sensible enough to stay inside.

well done tough guy..m
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

It needs to be said they there were 3 absolutely needless deaths today. Why didn't these people heed the warnings. It's tragic but they were preventable

Are you blaming the people themselves for this?

I'm not 'blaming' anyone. I understand there are now 3 grieving families. But the fact is that all the emergency services were advising people not to drive and to stay in doors. So unless these 3 individuals were out because they themselves were in an unavoidable emergency situation then there deaths were preventable.

Imagine if they had of just closed for one day. The one day in the last 50 years where we had a code red weather warning. That man would be alive today. It's f**king disgraceful people we're told by their employer to either come to work or stay at home but you're not getting paid.

Agree some companies should be ashamed. I know it shouldn't matter but any idea what the lad worked at?

You'd slightly understand if he worked for emergency services or something like that but to put your employees life and risk is unacceptable.

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:56am
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:57am
Heard that lad in Dundalk has a new born baby and was ready to move into a new house. Very sad
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:22am

Not sure who's to blame or whatever, but where I work I'd say 60-70% of showed up to work only to be told to go home again. 2 unnecessary journeys that could have been tragic. 

Bit of a inquiry today as to what we could have done to prevent people coming in. Management had a call on Sunday afternoon to decide that they could tell staff to stay home, but when it came to it, each manager had to tell their staff. Turns out half of my team had decided "sod that, I don't want my boss to have my private number" so he didn't have numbers for all of them. They were available to HR but HR couldn't call/text 600 people on a Sunday afternoon.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Not sure who's to blame or whatever, but where I work I'd say 60-70% of showed up to work only to be told to go home again. 2 unnecessary journeys that could have been tragic. 

Bit of a inquiry today as to what we could have done to prevent people coming in. Management had a call on Sunday afternoon to decide that they could tell staff to stay home, but when it came to it, each manager had to tell their staff. Turns out half of my team had decided "sod that, I don't want my boss to have my private number" so he didn't have numbers for all of them. They were available to HR but HR couldn't call/text 600 people on a Sunday afternoon.

Why not?
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:29am
There were some blown down trees even in Tallaght, but overall it was very underwhelming.
Can't believe the kids are off school again. They are wrecking my head while I am trying to work
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:39am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

There were some blown down trees even in Tallaght, but overall it was very underwhelming.
Can't believe the kids are off school again. They are wrecking my head while I am trying to work

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:48am
Those who were told they wouldn't be paid could've applied for Force Majeure surely...........

As for those complete idiots panic shopping, it was one day, did they not get any food in last week at all?  Spas.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Onyd View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:57am
I think a lot of organisations were shown up. Structures not in place, managers not bothered on a Sunday cascading the message.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:57am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Why not?

Exactly. Imagine you'd been given the day off but HR weren't bothered to let you know because there were too many people to get in touch with so instead to went to work and were sent home, then you got injured on the way.

My missus works for the company that employs 1,000 people and they were all let know the night before. It's not asking much to send out a company wide email telling people to stay at home.

Another issue I found was that a few of my mates were told it up to them if they wanted to go to work or not, so basically the company saying if you stay at home grand but you won't get paid. That's basically holding your employees to ransom. Not everyone can afford to be taking unpaid leave from work which is equally disgraceful.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:59am

Why not?

Exactly. Imagine you'd been given the day off but HR weren't bothered to let you know because there were too many people to get in touch with so instead to went to work and were sent home, then you got injured on the way.

My missus works for the company that employs 1,000 people and they were all let know the night before. It's not asking much to send out a company wide email telling people to stay at home.

Another issue I found was that a few of my mates were told it up to them if they wanted to go to work or not, so basically the company saying if you stay at home grand but you won't get paid. That's basically holding your employees to ransom. Not everyone can afford to be taking unpaid leave from work which is equally disgraceful.

Unless it specifically states it in their contracts. Those companies are obliged to pay them regardless given it was less than 24hrs notices
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:06pm

Why not?

The logistics of Mr HR man sitting at home, typing out 600 text messages. Storm would be over before he's done. We don't have emails on our phones so company wide email wasn't available till Monday morning.

In your example above, shure you could be hit by a bus after work today - company's not liable. If people are that concerned for their safety they took the governments warning and stayed indoors for the day. I can see both sides of the argument.

Agree with ONXD, a lot of companies were shown up.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:11pm
Absolutely tragic with the loss of life of 3 people Unhappy

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104 180>
  Share Topic