You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Formula 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 6:08pm
Top Top Sporting Drama Clap
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 6:25pm
unbelievable race

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 7:06pm
That was the best race I have ever seen. So much drama throughout, and incredibly good driving by Alonso and Button. Vettel once again wins a title because he has the best car rather than because he is the best racer (even if his team almost f**ked it up for him by bringing him in for those hard tyres near round lap 55).

Edited by SuperDave84 - 25 Nov 2012 at 7:12pm
Smartalex View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

That was the best race I have ever seen. So much drama throughout, and incredibly good driving by Alonso and Button. Vettel once again wins a title because he has the best car rather than because he is the best racer (even if his team almost f**ked it up for him by bringing him in for those hard tyres near round lap 55).

hes one of the best if not the best

usually the champion is in the best car thats the whole idea

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Smartalex Smartalex wrote:

Nah, Alonso was definitely the best racer this year.

By comparison with teammates, Vettel finished 102 points ahead of Webber..... Alonso was 156 points ahead Massa. Biggest difference between any teammates. Even Raikkonen wasn't that much better than Grosjean (he finished 111 clear).

Edited by SuperDave84 - 25 Nov 2012 at 10:45pm
Smartalex View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 12:38am

By comparison with teammates, Vettel finished 102 points ahead of Webber..... Alonso was 156 points ahead Massa. Biggest difference between any teammates. Even Raikkonen wasn't that much better than Grosjean (he finished 111 clear).

didnt say he wasnt

youre missing the point - its the combination of car + driver that counts - it always has been going back to piquet prost lauda et al

vettel deserves it for his 2nd half of the season performance same as a football team making a late charge for the title

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 1:05am

didnt say he wasnt

youre missing the point - its the combination of car + driver that counts - it always has been going back to piquet prost lauda et al

vettel deserves it for his 2nd half of the season performance same as a football team making a late charge for the title

errr.....

but anyway, i'm not denying that vettel deserved to win on the basis that he had a great car and great form in the second half of the year, but alonso was probably the best actual individual driver, bearing in mind how poor his car was comparatively and how much better he was than his teammate. Switch Alonso and Vettel and there's no way the world championship would have been that close.
Smartalex View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 1:12am

didnt say he wasnt

errr.....

but anyway, i'm not denying that vettel deserved to win on the basis that he had a great car and great form in the second half of the year, but alonso was probably the best actual individual driver, bearing in mind how poor his car was comparatively and how much better he was than his teammate. Switch Alonso and Vettel and there's no way the world championship would have been that close.

errr what ?

i said vettel was one of the best as you have so kindly pointed out

nowhere did i say alonso wasnt the best

but again you miss the point - its the car and driver together that win it

its like saying messi is the best player in the world so he should win the world cup - its a team effort

elroy45 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elroy45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 10:05am
Didnt see the race unfortunately but reading reports, whats this about Schuey pulling over to let Vettel through?  Was that the case or did Vettel pass him?  I know they are countrymen etc but bad form if he just let him through to take the sixth.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 9:08pm

didnt say he wasnt

errr.....

errr what ?

its like saying messi is the best player in the world so he should win the world cup - its a team effort

It's not the first part, it's the second part "if not the best" that I was drawing attention to. You were effectively arguing that Vettel was more or less the best driver or close to it. And I did NOT say Alonso deserved to win the world championship (which is the corollary of the straw man argument you are constructing about messi / best player in the world / winning the world cup). What I said was he was the best racer. Which is the equivalent of saying Messi is the best player in the world. I did NOT take a step further and go on to say he deserved to win the championship. What I said is equivalent to saying Messi deserves to win the award for best player (as in the Ballon d'Or). Saying someone deserves to win the Ballon d'Or is completely different from saying they deserve to win the world cup. Alonso was in a sh*t car, significantly worse than Vettel's, yet he nearly won the championship (he likely would have done had Grosjean not attempted to take his head off in Belgium, or had Raikkonen not punctured him in Japan) and didn't make a single mistake all year (although I'll admit neither did Vettel), significantly outperformed his teammate and deserves kudos as the best driver of the year. It doesn't mean he deserves the championship and I never said that, but he absolutely deserves massive respect, probably more than Vettel IMO.

It's you who are missing the point and you'd do well to read my posts in more detail in the future.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 26 Nov 2012 at 9:10pm
Smartalex View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 10:51pm

didnt say he wasnt

errr.....

errr what ?

It's not the first part, it's the second part "if not the best" that I was drawing attention to. You were effectively arguing that Vettel was more or less the best driver or close to it. And I did NOT say Alonso deserved to win the world championship (which is the corollary of the straw man argument you are constructing about messi / best player in the world / winning the world cup). What I said was he was the best racer. Which is the equivalent of saying Messi is the best player in the world. I did NOT take a step further and go on to say he deserved to win the championship. What I said is equivalent to saying Messi deserves to win the award for best player (as in the Ballon d'Or). Saying someone deserves to win the Ballon d'Or is completely different from saying they deserve to win the world cup. Alonso was in a sh*t car, significantly worse than Vettel's, yet he nearly won the championship (he likely would have done had Grosjean not attempted to take his head off in Belgium, or had Raikkonen not punctured him in Japan) and didn't make a single mistake all year (although I'll admit neither did Vettel), significantly outperformed his teammate and deserves kudos as the best driver of the year. It doesn't mean he deserves the championship and I never said that, but he absolutely deserves massive respect, probably more than Vettel IMO.

It's you who are missing the point and you'd do well to read my posts in more detail in the future.

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 11:05pm
Alonso has been the best driver in F1 nearly since he started with Minardi 11 years ago, maybe other than his early Bennetton years where Schumacher was at that stage still numero uno.  That much has been very obvious for a long time. Still, he isnt invincible either, he does fear Hamilton for some reason (and he probably shouldn't, given  McClaren favoured their man in the one year they were teammates) but it shows he isn't invincible. He is believed to have vetoed any Hamilton move to Ferrari when it became clear Hamilton was leaving McClaren earlier in the year as well, he apparently had no such objections to Vettel joining, in any case, Vettel probably realised that Ferrari is, as always, centered one one driver so had the sense to stay where he is. 

The distance by which he, or Vettel beat his teammate is not overly relevant, you can hide a lot of stuff with statistics. Firstly, Massa has never been the same driver since his accident, 2nd, even if he regained his speed, he wouldn't be allowed challenge Alonso anyway, (by contrast, see McClaren whose drivers have always been equal at least in theory, separated by 1 point at the end of the season) 3rd, under the threat of losing his job, Massa vastly improved in the 2nd half of the season to something approaching his capabilities, had he performed like that at the start, the gap would have been a lot closer. 

Vettel beating Webber by X amount of points ?? So what, Webber gave Vettel a run for his money in 2010, Vettel won out, Webber is a busted flush since, he is psychologically a number 2 driver since (and to be fair, seems to get whatever bad luck RB have going), by not leaving them, he knows he will win a few races every year and be in a good car, he must know at this stage he cant beat Vettel over a season, given the way the last 3 have gone. 

Grosjean has shown he is a super driver in qualifying only, has a long long way to go as a race driver, and you would fully expect a world champion like Raikonnen to beat him easily at this early stage of his career. If he keeps up his rate of crashing, his career might be shorter than he probably thinks. 

The best car does not always win the drivers WC (it does win the constructors though), but it has in this case. That is not to take away from Vettel in any way, it will be a long time yet before anyone wins a race in a Torro Rosso, something he managed 4 years ago, he may not be quite at Alonsos level yet, but he is very close, and very much the real thing. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 10:18pm

didnt say he wasnt

errr.....

errr what ?

This isn't over.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20531638
harry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 10:52pm
Doubtfull
Smartalex View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 10:57pm
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 10:59pm

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 11:21pm
Brundle and the other lad mentioned this on Sky commentary at the time, then dismissed it as ' nothing has appeared on our screen' as regards any car under investigation. Ferrari will stoop to more or less anything, but I don't see them getting too much joy here.

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 9:05pm
FIA say Vettel move was OK, Ferrari unlikely to appeal. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20541589

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
  Share Topic