Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=29183
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 3:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Formula 1
Posted By: nvidic
Subject: Formula 1
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 4:30am
Anyone follow this or been to it? would keep the odd eye out on it but nothing major, only just learn they banned refuelling - why?!

Going tomoro anyway and hoping for lotsa of rain and lotsa of (non-lethal) crashes, vettel not to win and to bag me one of them models they have down in the pitlane and maybe steal one of their cars and drive it home, save a bit of time

Anyone able fill be in a bit on what to expect tomoro?!

谢谢大家

Replies:
Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 4:42am
They dont crash at the first corner anymore............gone to the dogs!

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 5:48am
Dont understand people following this sport. Just like watching traffic.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 6:22am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Dont understand people following this sport. Just like watching traffic.

yeah id be the same normally but not gonna pass up the opportunity to see it, never gonna go again! open policy on what you can bring in as well... cans will be had, thinking bout hiring a private driver bring us there and back for the princely sum of €60 for four of usLOL

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 6:25am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Anyone follow this or been to it? would keep the odd eye out on it but nothing major, only just learn they banned refuelling - why?!

Going tomoro anyway and hoping for lotsa of rain and lotsa of (non-lethal) crashes, vettel not to win and to bag me one of them models they have down in the pitlane and maybe steal one of their cars and drive it home, save a bit of time

谢谢大家

Refuelling was banned 2 years ago, the theory behind it being it would lead to more on-track overtaking, as opposed to the 'stategy' inspired races of the past 15 years, where nearly all overtaking was done via the pit lane with the likes of Ross Brawn deciding races backed by an army of statisticians instead of the drivers. It has worked to an extent, last year saw more individual winners than any of the recent years, but this was not all down to the ban.
Used to follow it years ago, lost interest when Jordan pulled out midway through the 2000's.

What you can expect tomorrow is Vettel to lead from start to finish, much like his compatriot Mick, whatever rules they have in place wont affect him, he is that bit better than the rest of them to find a way to win anyway.  If it rains, he might even win by more, but Button and Rosberg are superb wet weather men as well, as is Adrian Sutil.

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 7:47am
I have the qualifying on now (can't find the remote control), it's the most tedious sport on TV. They should do one lap 10 minutes before the race as the qualifer instead of stretching this crap across the whole weekend.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 7:54am
horrible game this is

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 8:56am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

谢谢大家

Refuelling was banned 2 years ago, the theory behind it being it would lead to more on-track overtaking, as opposed to the 'stategy' inspired races of the past 15 years, where nearly all overtaking was done via the pit lane with the likes of Ross Brawn deciding races backed by an army of statisticians instead of the drivers. It has worked to an extent, last year saw more individual winners than any of the recent years, but this was not all down to the ban.
Used to follow it years ago, lost interest when Jordan pulled out midway through the 2000's.

What you can expect tomorrow is Vettel to lead from start to finish, much like his compatriot Mick, whatever rules they have in place wont affect him, he is that bit better than the rest of them to find a way to win anyway.  If it rains, he might even win by more, but Button and Rosberg are superb wet weather men as well, as is Adrian Sutil.

nice one deise!! Re-fuelling thing has a bit of sense to it alright but i always used to enjoy watching them mess it up refuelling!! Hope vettel messes up somehow, be it mechanical or otherwise!! 6/7 years this race has run and he's be the first to win it twice..

Just got ticket in hand, theyre belters and way cheaper than the uk one! 12 mini-cans purchased as well - should be a good day if my eardrums dont burst

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:49am
Well, twas ansolutely unreal, had a great time, if anyone gets the opportunity to go they should!cant really describe watching 24 cars race by at such high speeds, has to be seen!

Hopped a few fences after the race to and got onto the track, walked around it a bit, got into the pits, chatted to some ferrari mechanics, got to look about hamilton and webbers car, met david coulthard and pretty sure was on bbc sport during his interview, was crazy!

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 1:58pm
I see Sky will have a dedicated F1 channel that won't be available on UPC that will show all races, qualfying and practice. BBC have some rights but only for half the races.
So if you have UPC and follow F1 you won't be able to see all the races on your tv

Posted By: greenarmy
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I see Sky will have a dedicated F1 channel that won't be available on UPC that will show all races, qualfying and practice. BBC have some rights but only for half the races.
So if you have UPC and follow F1 you won't be able to see all the races on your tv

Setanta Ireland/1 still show the F1 on UPC

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 3:21pm
i like when the redbull car overtakes the vodafone car

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 3:28pm

Sky have being pushing F1 so much lately that I'm sick of it before the season has even begun. Reports everyday on SSN on testing or teams. Before they had the rights I can't remember them ever giving it any time.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: ericdogg
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 3:30pm
Sky sports will murder the sport or whats left of it.

-------------
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 3:35pm
BBCs F1 coverage was the best sports coverage I've ever seen. Their montages induced goosebumps every time. Sky will be pants and predictably lazy. Theyve already nicked the BBCs end of season montage song for their theme song.

One relief is that Sky won't be allowed any where near the in race camera direction.

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: Fitzinho
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 3:37pm
I'm pretty happy to have it in HD again, and 5.1 sound will be quality as well, though I will miss it being on the BBC, they were brill for reports, montages etc

Far happier having it on Sky than back on ITV

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by greenarmy greenarmy wrote:

even for next year? My Understanding is Sky have everything then BBC have a large chunk but only half the races.

Sure I generally only watch the first lap! Was far more into it when Jordon has a team

Posted By: greenarmy
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 4:25pm

Originally posted by greenarmy greenarmy wrote:

even for next year? My Understanding is Sky have everything then BBC have a large chunk but only half the races.

Sure I generally only watch the first lap! Was far more into it when Jordon has a team

Dont even watch it myself to be honest but read somewhere recently setanta still have 1 or 2 years left on their contract.

Posted By: charco2006
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 4:41pm
Dont understand how Sky are going to fill a channel with this. Surely there is only a race on every week or 2 at the weekends. What are they going to show the rest of the time? And is the channel only goin to be on air during the season or will they be showing other forms of racing too?

-------------
"What ya doin down there ya shoneen man!"

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:42pm
they will be showing other forms such as formula 3 and other 1s.

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:48pm
They better have a program on the grid sluts

-------------

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:50pm
cant beat the bbc for their F1 coverage, top notch, just a pity they never put it on their HD channel

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:40pm
Think the races that they'll be showing this year will be on the HD channel. 

Where's the German GP this year ? Used to like Hockenheim but don't like the new layout of the last couple of years where they bypass the forest where there was a great chicane Thumbs Down

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Fitzinho
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 12:33pm
BBC One HD (note this is a different channell to BBC HD) had every race in HD two years ago, you had to tune it in manually and it would be in "other channels"

We had it for a time here but Sky pushed a new firmware down to the HD boxes and us in Ireland lost the BBC One HD Channel, if you were in the UK you could tune it back in but we couldn't as a setting was out of the range allowed, it was crap but then BBC One HD came on as part of the regular EPG and we had races on it in HD, was brill.

German GP is in Hockenheim this year (it alternates with the Nurburgring) I hate the new layout too :(

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 8:34pm
i like the new hockenheim, obviously not as crazy as the old was which was just madness

not a fan of the nurburgring at all, allways good for a bit of rain tho

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 8:44pm
Loved the old Hockenheim in the f1 games. Flat out for over a minute. The chicanes were just a mild inconvenience

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Loved the old Hockenheim in the f1 games. Flat out for over a minute. The chicanes were just a mild inconvenience

Clap

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 9:22pm
Going by tonight, Sky F1 is going to be a serious flop. The level the BBC set was far too high.

-------------

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 9:38pm

Going by tonight, Sky F1 is going to be a serious flop. The level the BBC set was far too high.

what was it like? They doing the usual sky treatment on it?

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

what was it like? They doing the usual sky treatment on it?

They called the off season "The Transfer Window". They had Georgie Thompson interview Jenson Button. The interview would have been like me interviewing Stephen Hawking on Physics. Then there was that Liam Gallagher clobber wearing gimp Fenners prancing around the garages talking about how clean everything is and even threw in a few football questions. Its like the Soccer AM feature where they send Tubes out to interview a football and he asks everyweek without fail "Whats the banter like?" Dead Its very playschool.

The preview programme when they talk to Brundle and Hill is good but most of the features are pants.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 10:50pm
Georgie Heart

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 2:29am
Why was Georgie dressed like a tyre when interviewing Button?

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: soccerc
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 2:35am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

New threads to make her look slick....................

edited after Stoked up quoted post , damned old timers fingers on iphone

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 2:43am
Originally posted by soccerc soccerc wrote:

New theads to make her look slick....................

LOL

Posted By: packiesglove
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 7:43am
don't even class this as a "sport", all about who has the best car 

-------------
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....

Posted By: Percy
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 8:16am
billboards at 200 miles an hour

-------------
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 9:41am
Originally posted by packiesglove packiesglove wrote:

its motor sport, of course the car is going to be an important factor

-------------

Posted By: packiesglove
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

the car is 95% of the measure of success Shoco, the best car wins it normally, therfore its a manufacturing/engineering award, not a sportThumbs Up

-------------
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 10:01am
Jaysis, Packiesgloves posting about something that isn't Chelsea or Harry Redknapp

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 10:17am

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

the car is 95% of the measure of success Shoco, the best car wins it normally, therfore its a manufacturing/engineering award, not a sportThumbs Up

you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 12:24pm

Only to an extent, in any case, the teams have 2 (identical, unless you believe in conspiracy theories) cars, so even if one team is dominant, there will be at least 2 drivers fighting it out. The driver does make a difference, Senna was able to challenge Prost in 93 for example, winning 5 races in a car that was at best the 3rd best car on the grid. Schumacher's first 2 titles in 94 and 95 were achieved when Williams had the best car, not his Bennetton outfit. 

Frentzen achieved 3rd place in 98 largely through his own brilliance in that season, rather than that of the Jordan car he was driving. In the same year, Irvine was 2nd to Hakkinen, but had Schumacher stayed injury free, I don't think Mika would have been world champion. 

Raikonnen's  title in '07 for Ferrari was achieved in a year McLaren won the constructors title, this was reversed the year after with Hamilton winning for McLaren when Ferrari won the constructors title. 

Car plays a significant part alright, but if you think all the drivers are roughly equal, you are mistaken, remember this is a sport where things are measured in thousandths of seconds, not even seconds. That is not taking the dreaded ' strategy' type races that dominated the last decade into account either, where races between closely matched cars were decided on pitlane strategy and tyre/fuel stops. 

Lost interest meself when Jordan expired, but going on testing so far, this looks like it could be a very close season between the top 3 or 4 teams. In any case, F1 has never claimed that all cars/drivers are equally competitive,  much like you don't watch football and expect, say, Norwich, to challenge Man United/Man City/Chelsea/Spurs for the league title next year. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by soccerc soccerc wrote:

New threads to make her look slick....................

edited after Stoked up quoted post , damned old timers fingers on iphone

LOL 

Lost interest in F1 when Jordan left. Might take an interest in it this year after seeing how close a couple of the teams have been in testing.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:58pm
Spanish GP to alternate between Barcelona and Valencia from next season according to Bernie Eccleston

-------------

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 12:53pm
Heard them practicing in Albert park today. It's about 2kms from my house but sounded like it was right outside my door - the noise us unreal

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Heard them practicing in Albert park today. It's about 2kms from my house but sounded like it was right outside my door - the noise us unreal

The picnic goers wont like that. Why dont they practice on the racetrack?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 12:58pm
watched that senna documentary , was fantastic, racing is muck now compared to those days

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 10:32pm
Practice on Setanta Ireland tonight/tomorrow morning at 01:25

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 10:49pm
Used to love this intro once this came on you knew it was only 5-10 mins to the start Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 11:06pm
classic dennis Clap

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 11:36pm

one of my mates is a fanatic F1 nut.he knows every aspect of every car in F1.aerodynamics,downforce etc etc.trust me lads he s a genius on this.i got into F1 years ago but i know nothing technical or drivers habits or anything like that.but lads saying its about having the fastest car isn't an accurate analysis because i asked this myself as a clueless prawn sandwich F1 fan.if you look at it like this: the best drivers will drive for the best teams with the fastest cars which is no different than the best footballers playing for the best teams in football.its natural selection.the red bull car is so fast i think the jury is still out on vettel as a truly great driver as he s fantastic at qualifying but he s never been truly tested having to climb up the grid on many occasions.schumacher wasnt as good a qualifier but he was the best racer in the way he could pick the right time to overtake.i havnt seen vettel tested like that because thanks to adrian newey whos a genius at designing a car that is unbelievably quick so his qualification times are excellent but dont get me wrong hes won two world titles and he s a fantasticly disciplined racer who rarely fcuks up.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 12:53am
Vettel is the real deal alright. He did plenty overtaking in his Toro Rosso days (and won their first, and to date, only Grand Prix as well). Youngest scorer of a championship point, youngest pole position winner, (while with Torro Rosso, not the Red Bull outfit, a similar car with Ferrari, as opposed to Renault engines) youngest GP race winner, youngest world champion. 

Bear in mind that he was not racing against WC novices either, he had 3 world champions for company in Hamilton, Button and Alonso, the latter 2 being vastly more experienced, as was (is) his own teammate Webber, no slouch himself. Not invincible yet, and still capable of errors, but his youth and speed ensures that Schumacher's 7 titles are at least a realistic target for him, it was not that long ago nobody could ever see that being beaten. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 1:11am

Vettel is the real deal alright. He did plenty overtaking in his Toro Rosso days (and won their first, and to date, only Grand Prix as well). Youngest scorer of a championship point, youngest pole position winner, (while with Torro Rosso, not the Red Bull outfit, a similar car with Ferrari, as opposed to Renault engines) youngest GP race winner, youngest world champion. 

Bear in mind that he was not racing against WC novices either, he had 3 world champions for company in Hamilton, Button and Alonso, the latter 2 being vastly more experienced, as was (is) his own teammate Webber, no slouch himself. Not invincible yet, and still capable of errors, but his youth and speed ensures that Schumacher's 7 titles are at least a realistic target for him, it was not that long ago nobody could ever see that being beaten. 

Good post deise. he obviously proved himself good or fast enough to get on the red bull team in the first place but ive yet  to see him in a tight championship race in certain races how he reacts if he s behind a bit in the grid.he s german so he s definately going to have the right mentality and he loves schumacher.my favourite driver is actually hamilton even though i cannot stand his media pc sh*te.he s one of the bravest drivers i ve seen and will always take a risk in overtaking especially on tight courses such as monaco LOL when theres fcuk all chance of an overtake. button the prick who plays it safe the whole time drives me bats.
is there a driver deise you re up for yourself?

-------------

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 2:35am
Possibly heading to this on Sunday depending on the hangover. Dont really have any interest in the sport since Eddie Irvine retired. Will be a tremendous session however Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 12:21am
@irishmufc - Much like a Denis and a few posters mentioned, my real interest left with Jordan (about 2 years before the team of the same name that had nothing to do with Eddie) expired. Was a fairly big fan alright, probably would have gone most of the 90's to mid 2000's without missing a race on TV, even the early morning ones. 

Even made the Australian GP in 2001 when I lived there, a great weekend in Melbourne, even if you hate F1 and motor racing. Anyone who has been to one will tell you the same, but nothing really prepares you for the noise. 

As regards todays lot, would have always liked Alonso since his Minardi days (always my 2nd favourite F1 team, and gave a hell of a lot of lads their first F1 drive, like Jordan ), and he is probably the most complete driver out there of the current bunch, even if qualifying is not his greatest strength. Have little time for Ferrari though, as a whole bunch of rules and regulations were changed over the years just to keep them competitive at a time they were not (despite having the biggest budget) in the 90's. The introduction of fuel stops being one of them. (thankfully gone now)

Hamilton is probably the best to watch alright, he does some crazy stuff, but I think he is lacking judgement under pressure. Which is why I have re evaluated my opinion of Button, I never rated him at Renault or Williams, or even at Brawn, where he more or less had the title won at the halfway stage and did not look at all convincing in the 2nd half of '09 when the rest of the teams began to catch up. But last season, he was a better race driver than Hamilton (at that level, the ability to churn out endless consistent fast laps, rather than erratic very fast ones is Key), to be honest , I was surprised, but McClaren seem to see him as their No 1 (to an extent, at least they persevere with their excellent tradition of letting the 2 drivers race to a certain point of the season, unlike one of those outfits in red) and the bookies have him favourite for this tears title. 

Would tip Alonso meself, Ferrari are complaining their car is not as fast as they thought it would be, which can only mean it is actually faster in Ferrari logic. Or maybe they tell the truth, who knows. 

Of the rest, I dont know much about Torro Rosso's latest hotshots, but think Rosberg (Mercedes) is underrated, he thrashed Mick last season in racing and qualifying, and could be a fella to step up if the car is competitive. Paul Di Resta for Force India is another good driver, and could surprise a few this year. 

Might tune in for first corner Sat night/Sun morning................

Edit; Massa and Kubica were 2 of my current favourites, but Massa has never regained the outright speed since his crash, while Kubica is lucky to be alive at all, pity for the 2 of them, they had something that most of the rest (bar the top lads) don't. 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 12:29am
Sky will over do this....... in fact they already are. Absolutely no need to show the practice sessions live......nobody will watch.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 12:33am

Sky will over do this....... in fact they already are. Absolutely no need to show the practice sessions live......nobody will watch.

Fella's said Wigan Vs Norwich on a Monday night wouldn't work either, or watching a bunch of lads sitting around TV monitors for 4 hours on a Saturday evening, etc. Have not even seen Sky F1 coverage yet BTW, but they will probably succeed like they nearly always do. 

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 5:31pm

@irishmufc - Much like a Denis and a few posters mentioned, my real interest left with Jordan (about 2 years before the team of the same name that had nothing to do with Eddie) expired. Was a fairly big fan alright, probably would have gone most of the 90's to mid 2000's without missing a race on TV, even the early morning ones. 

Even made the Australian GP in 2001 when I lived there, a great weekend in Melbourne, even if you hate F1 and motor racing. Anyone who has been to one will tell you the same, but nothing really prepares you for the noise. 

As regards todays lot, would have always liked Alonso since his Minardi days (always my 2nd favourite F1 team, and gave a hell of a lot of lads their first F1 drive, like Jordan ), and he is probably the most complete driver out there of the current bunch, even if qualifying is not his greatest strength. Have little time for Ferrari though, as a whole bunch of rules and regulations were changed over the years just to keep them competitive at a time they were not (despite having the biggest budget) in the 90's. The introduction of fuel stops being one of them. (thankfully gone now)

Hamilton is probably the best to watch alright, he does some crazy stuff, but I think he is lacking judgement under pressure. Which is why I have re evaluated my opinion of Button, I never rated him at Renault or Williams, or even at Brawn, where he more or less had the title won at the halfway stage and did not look at all convincing in the 2nd half of '09 when the rest of the teams began to catch up. But last season, he was a better race driver than Hamilton (at that level, the ability to churn out endless consistent fast laps, rather than erratic very fast ones is Key), to be honest , I was surprised, but McClaren seem to see him as their No 1 (to an extent, at least they persevere with their excellent tradition of letting the 2 drivers race to a certain point of the season, unlike one of those outfits in red) and the bookies have him favourite for this tears title. 

Would tip Alonso meself, Ferrari are complaining their car is not as fast as they thought it would be, which can only mean it is actually faster in Ferrari logic. Or maybe they tell the truth, who knows. 

Of the rest, I dont know much about Torro Rosso's latest hotshots, but think Rosberg (Mercedes) is underrated, he thrashed Mick last season in racing and qualifying, and could be a fella to step up if the car is competitive. Paul Di Resta for Force India is another good driver, and could surprise a few this year. 

Might tune in for first corner Sat night/Sun morning................

Edit; Massa and Kubica were 2 of my current favourites, but Massa has never regained the outright speed since his crash, while Kubica is lucky to be alive at all, pity for the 2 of them, they had something that most of the rest (bar the top lads) don't. 

thats a good point about button.i ve to admit he was very consistant and showed a bit of ruthlessness when vettel blew it on the last lap in canada but i find hamilton is always more exciting to watch.he s very aggressive and his judgement as you rightly pointed out is a bit insane some of the overtakes he tried against massa in monaco and when he hit the back of button.personally button is very weak at defending his position when the car behind is in the drs activation zone.hamilton i found defended his position is some of the races very well when vettel looked like he had the drop on him.i think it was a bad year for hamilton and his discipline let him down even though he s a born aggressive racer.he s like the ronnie o sullivan of F1 has the ability but poor discipline but they re exciting to watch at the end of the day

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 4:32am
Aye chief, and I am going to retract me accusations about Ferrari being economical with the truth re this season's car, and me (useless) Alonso tip, looks like they were being truthful and (in F1 terms) the car is a glorified wheelbarrow. And whoever Grosjean may be, and whatever his (Toleman/Benetton/Renault/Lotus team may be called this week, congrats and keep it between the ditches...........

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 1:53pm
wasnt a bad race, plenty of incident in the first half of it, went a bit quiet after that until the last lap

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 2:18pm
I fell asleep for the most of the race

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 2:24pm
I have to give button his passion iss racing,it was bracing and a cup of tea would be amazing .safety car fcuked it up for hamilton from what ive read as i fell asleep during it.glad hamilton got third.

@ shoco is there a driver or team you follow?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 7:03pm
Interesting pole for Maladonado (Williams) today - Hamilton stripped of top spot for stopping the car on slowing down lap,  rules stating the car has to come back to the pits with at least 1 litre of fuel in it for scrutineering. McClaren trying to pull a fast one, or some very un-McClaren like bungling leaving the car short of fuel. 

Alonso now 2nd, maybe the car has improved, but Massa is way down, and Alonso might be on the limit for his home race,  so maybe it hasn't. If it hasn't improved, you can expect a Lotus win tomorrow (be the 5th different winner from 5 races if that does happen)

Edit, bookies half agree with me, Raikonnen and Alonso joint favourites @ 7/2 or 3/1, there is ridiculous value in Rosberg (EW)  @ 25/1 in some places, starts 6th and has won already this season.

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 7:06pm
McLaren f**ked up ,think it happened to them a few years back as well.

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:21pm
do ya not have to finish with all fuel for the race?

Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 3:49am
Originally posted by dotts101 dotts101 wrote:

do ya not have to finish with all fuel for the race?

Nah Dotts, they change the rules yearly on this, I'm guessing what you meant is do the drivers have to start on the same fuel load as they finished with in qualifying, the answer is no, as fuel stops (thankfully) are a thing of the past. Have to finish qualifying with a litre of fuel on board (after the slowing down lap, as Lewis found out today), and most have to fill to full or as near as to get race distance. 

When the fuel stops were there, the scenario you mention was a rule, whatever amount of fuel you qualified with was what you started the race with, whether that was enough for 2, 10 or 30 laps was down to the driver/team. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 11:14pm

Should be a cracker of a race this week. Rain all over the gaff Clap

although its so bad that people are being told not to turn up tomorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18747889" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18747889

Up to 20,000 ticket holders are being asked to stay away from Saturday's qualifying sessions at Silverstone.

Heavy rain affected thousands of race fans on Friday and left half of the circuit's car parks unusable.

Officials want to get them back into use for Sunday's British Grand Prix, when 125,000 race fans are expected.
Continue reading the main story

Silverstone's managing director Richard Phillips said: "If you have a public car parking ticket we are strongly advising you not to come tomorrow."

He added: "The situation is that we want to try to recover things for Sunday and that's the most important thing for us at the moment."

The call only applies to people with tickets to park at the circuit - about 20,000 race fans. Ticket holders in car parks away from the circuit, those camping elsewhere and able to make it on foot, or planning to use the park and ride service, should still be able to access the site.

Phillips warned race fans with tickets for circuit car parks: "We could be in a situation where you will be in queues of traffic and don't actually get into the circuit. That's the harsh reality of where we are."

He said ticketholders who missed sessions on Friday and Saturday would be refunded.

"It's almost made me cry," he added.

"I always feel a responsibility because I am the person in charge but we have had an awful lot of rain in a short period of time. But of course I unreservedly apologise."

But he stressed: "We'll do our damnedest to make sure it [Sunday's Grand Prix] happens."

Earlier British Grand Prix officials described the problems that left thousands of fans stranded in traffic for hours as "a nightmare".
Use accessible player and disable flyout menus

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 12:42am
silverstones usually always a good race, rain will definatley add a bit extra

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 12:48am
Mick is hitting a bit of form, likes the rain, he's at 20/1. Kobyashi and Di Resta are normally good wet weather men as well, might be worth an each way. 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 1:56pm
Murray Walker is back on the BBC although he may not be able to commentate on any action

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 8:14pm
missed the qualifing today, seems like it was a wash out

looking forward to the race

-------------

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 1:07pm
Crash bang wallop at the start of the Belgian GP..

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 2:58pm
Triffic race. Kimi overtaking Schumi in to Eau Rouge was one of the ballsiest moves ever seen.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 3:37pm
smashing first corner Clap

pity it wasnt hamiltons fault

-------------

Posted By: St.Pauli Reloaded 2
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 5:26pm
[QUOTE=Shoco]smashing first corner Clap

pity it wasnt hamiltons fault
[/QUOTE Some carry  on from him on Twitter putting up Confidential details of lap times ,set up of car etc,etc. and graphic table to show it as well Clown and aso swearing on Twitter then trying to backtrack saying he didnt mean it LOL

-------------
In Martin and Roy we Trust !

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 12:35am
Was Maldonado done for the start or did he actually pull off the greatest start in history?Delighted to see Hamilton get smashed at the start,although like Shoco said,pity it wasn't his fault

Posted By: Funsize Crouchy
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Was Maldonado done for the start or did he actually pull off the greatest start in history?Delighted to see Hamilton get smashed at the start,although like Shoco said,pity it wasn't his fault

he got a 5 place grid penalty for Monza and another 5 for crashing into Glock. so he's to be docked 10 places in the next qualifying. if he hadn't crashed into Glock he would have got a penalty in the race for the jump start.

Grosjean got a one race ban for causing the crash on the opening lap so misses Monza 

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Funsize Crouchy Funsize Crouchy wrote:

he got a 5 place grid penalty for Monza and another 5 for crashing into Glock. so he's to be docked 10 places in the next qualifying. if he hadn't crashed into Glock he would have got a penalty in the race for the jump start.

Grosjean got a one race ban for causing the crash on the opening lap so misses Monza 

Its a bit harsh on Grosjean to get a one race ban considering the things Maldonado has done this year. One would think that if it was an incident at the back of the grid, he wouldnt be receiving such a punishment.

-------------

Posted By: Funsize Crouchy
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 4:01pm

Originally posted by Funsize Crouchy Funsize Crouchy wrote:

Its a bit harsh on Grosjean to get a one race ban considering the things Maldonado has done this year. One would think that if it was an incident at the back of the grid, he wouldnt be receiving such a punishment.

this is exactly it. He took out a Ferrari and a Mclaren so no doubt with their power they put some weight behind it. The stewards are even quoted as saying "It eliminated leading championship contenders from the race."

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 10:42pm
Didn't the stewards say it had to do with previous incidents too?I'm shocked Maldonado hasn't gotten a ban at this stage,at least for accumulative penalties.Must say this season has really gotten me excited in the sport again,almost gave up on it completely after the past couple of years

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 6:23pm

Hamilton going to be at Mercedes next season to replace Schumacher according to Eddie Jordan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19489930" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19489930

-------------

Posted By: ericdogg
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 11:59am
I know it was briefly mentioned in the paralympics thread but thought it should be recognised here aswell. Alex Zanardi was the man in indycar in the 1990s. Never quite did it in formula 1 for whatever reason. But his desire to achieve never went away. Wants to race in the indy 500 next year aswell. Clap

-------------
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 9:19am

Hamilton will join Mercedes next season Shocked (Eddie Jordan was spot on)

Perez will join McLaren. So no move to Ferrari.

Looks like Schumi may retire Cry or he could go back to Ferrari Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 12:52pm
Any word on Massa yet?

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 9:44pm

Any word on Massa yet?

I don't see him surviving there, despite the rumours he will be there next year. Only thing I can think of is Alonso wants to keep himLOL. The fella has just never been the same driver since that awful accident in Hungary a few years back, never regained the outright speed he had. Pity, he was a potential world champion (and not just for the fact he came within a corner of same). 

Ferrari going for Schumacher ? The fans would love it, as would Ferrari, dunno about Alonso being as keen on it though. He should really retire at this stage, he has spent 3 years now fluting about in the middle of the grid to no great effect, don't think he has anything to gain by staying on. 

Interesting they passed on Perez (he was a Ferrari contracted driver) with Domencali saying he hadn't sufficent experience. Dont see too many candidates out there, unless they want to take a punt on a wildcard like Maldonado or Di Resta. 

-------------

Posted By: St.Pauli Reloaded 2
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 10:04pm

Hamilton will join Mercedes next season Shocked (Eddie Jordan was spot on)

Perez will join McLaren. So no move to Ferrari.

Looks like Schumi may retire Cry or he could go back to Ferrari Clap

Or he might just go Motorbike racing Wink or just beedin retire Cool

-------------
In Martin and Roy we Trust !

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 1:41pm

Any word on Massa yet?

I don't see him surviving there, despite the rumours he will be there next year. Only thing I can think of is Alonso wants to keep himLOL. The fella has just never been the same driver since that awful accident in Hungary a few years back, never regained the outright speed he had. Pity, he was a potential world champion (and not just for the fact he came within a corner of same). 

Ferrari going for Schumacher ? The fans would love it, as would Ferrari, dunno about Alonso being as keen on it though. He should really retire at this stage, he has spent 3 years now fluting about in the middle of the grid to no great effect, don't think he has anything to gain by staying on. 

Interesting they passed on Perez (he was a Ferrari contracted driver) with Domencali saying he hadn't sufficent experience. Dont see too many candidates out there, unless they want to take a punt on a wildcard like Maldonado or Di Resta. 

He'd be a handy team-mate for Alonso even if only to take out any of his title opponents.I'm dissapointed Perez is going to the dark side,would have liked to see him go to Ferrari

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 2:53pm
Alonso gets to choose who his team mate is. I dont think he would have Maldonado as he is a bit erratic. If Maldonado is on for a win with Alonso behind, I could see Maldonado telling them to feck off. Alonso and Ferrari will pick somebody who knows their place, an Alesi, an Irvine, a Salo, a Barrichello, a Massa and the like Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 4:13am

Alonso gets to choose who his team mate is. I dont think he would have Maldonado as he is a bit erratic. If Maldonado is on for a win with Alonso behind, I could see Maldonado telling them to feck off. Alonso and Ferrari will pick somebody who knows their place, an Alesi, an Irvine, a Salo, a Barrichello, a Massa and the like Thumbs Up

Sorry, but Jean Alesi does not belong on that listLOL. He finished his Ferrari career with one win, exactly the same as Gerhard Berger during the same (rubbish for Ferrari) period. Yer 100% correct about the rest of them though, with the qualification that the current Massa probably fits in to that category, the late 2000's version of Massa certainly did not, as Kimi Raikonnen could possibly tell ya.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 11:51pm
Vettel demoted to the back of the grid due to fuel irregularities.

I hate the overuse of the word but tomorrow will be EPIC

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 11:52pm

what time does it start at?

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 12:15am
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

what time does it start at?

1 O clock. It's a day/night race from Abu Dhabi

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 4:05am

I hate the use of the words ' contrived finish to the world championship'  but jaysus, there are shades of 1994 here......LOL. All I can say (as a non Ferrari fan) is I hope the best driver (Alonso) winsThumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 1:24pm
Lucky yer man Karthikeyan didn't get his head taken off there.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 1:44pm
Hamilton out again

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 1:44pm
What a sh*t car

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 1:48pm
It all happening. Alonso and Raikkonen will kill each other for the win.

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 1:50pm
Quality race this

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 1:55pm
Webber having a mare at the minute

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 2:52pm
Top Top Top 2 hours of sport.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 2:57pm
Well worth watching.

Print Page | Close Window