You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Flanagan - Is he eligible?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Lads, he spoke to the Liverpool Echo last year and confirmed he doesn't have Irish Grandparents.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-jon-flanagan-not-3354654

That's not what it says on the article.  No quotes from the player.  I've not seen anything definitive either way on the issue.  The reason for his alleged ineligibilty isn't given, it just says the Echo 'understands' he's not eligible. 

Ok, to clarify a bit more, the Echo reporter who wrote the article also tweeted at the time that he had talked with Flanagan to verify this - It was either David Prentice or James Pearce.

Actually, If I read the article properly then I would have seen it was Neil Jones.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 1:14pm
FFS
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 4:59pm
If Ireland could bring this fellow to the national team would be a great chance..  He is not that good, but full backs are not so decisive in a team, unless you dont have them, and you play players out of positions to fill up the gaps,  left midfielders and right midfielders or central midfielder, or central backs, ussually play full backs positions right or left,

It is really hard to develop a reliable and concerned full back (right or left) with the notion, intelligence and expertise in that PARTICULAR position. 

For me Greg Cunningham is the best available to fill up the gap, he is a good player and the few time i saw him at international level he was class, lefty, fast, young,   I dont care where he is playing as long as he is good for Ireland.   In the mix you have Mark Wilson (better as center mid or center defender or libero) Stephen Ward, that is a left midfielder turned to left back, the untried trio of Mark Tierney , Enda Stevens, Aidan White.   Darren O'Dea could be a good option there but he has no great pace, too big, but he has a good left foot, there is a youngster  at Wolves Doherty that can switch from right to left to test him, Stephen Kelly that he is not confortable on the left he is a right back, Kevin Foley that is still at wolves and the youngster question from Ryan McLaughlin.  
stokes78 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokes78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 5:05pm
Cant agree there if you dont have full backs who are techically able it limits you hugely as an attacking force
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by stokes78 stokes78 wrote:

Cant agree there if you dont have full backs who are techically able it limits you hugely as an attacking force

Yeap, but if you play a left midfielder or right midfielder on the full backs slots, you may be good going forward, but the team will have no balance, they have this tendency to be out of position or the lack of being unreliable or undependable to mark a man or to close down the play, ususally they got distracted, , it is really hard to be a full back, a good one, that knows how to attack when to attack, and has an expertise in that position either right of left full back,  so the common knowledge in football from the brains worldwide, they say "we can play a center back or a side midfielder or central midfielder there, is not that relevant, you have tons of examples to choose from". 

What is good 'bout Flannagan is that the guy knows his limitations, and he is not going to do something luxury, he is steady, fast and can support his teammates, like Irwin use to do, or Terry Phelan, or Juan Sorín or José Chamot, Tasotti, Ferrer or the uruguayan full backs experts Maxi Pereyra and Jorge Fucile if you want.  
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 5:36pm
Why the hell is this in Ireland section...the guy is English.
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 5:48pm
http://newstalk.ie/Martin-ONeill-wants-Liverpools-Flanagan-for-Ireland

it says that Martin O'Neill wants him over, anyway a Jon-Paddy Flannagan doesnt sound engish to me , tbh, by the way, great goal he scored today, just for being optimistic and going one more time, what a goal, he put it where the "spiders sleep"
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 5:50pm
anyway  give him a mullet hair-cut and a moustache and he is  Mark Lawrenso's son, they are very alike,
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 8:58pm
He's not eligible, this has been confirmed on a number of occasions of various sites.
We're decent enough..
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

He's a poor player, wouldn't be sending Roy to Anfield any time soon unless it's to speak to Ryan McLaughlin

Brendan Rodgers singing his praises again yesterday, he played very well and scored a nice goal too.

There is some difference between Flanagan and Ward, i'd like to see 100% if he is eligible or not before closing the door on him, he looks a very good prospect. 

Edited by Green Devil - 16 Dec 2013 at 12:55pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's not eligible, this has been confirmed on a number of occasions of various sites.

but is he eligible though ?

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

but is he eligible though ?

According to FM14 he is eligible Thumbs Up 

Thou, shall not fail to believe thi word of the football bible that is Football Manager.

Edited by Green Devil - 16 Dec 2013 at 1:01pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 1:04pm
very lightweight and needs to build himself up a bit.might take another year or two.

I assume he wants to declare for England
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

very lightweight and needs to build himself up a bit.might take another year or two.

I assume he wants to declare for England

Pre-Euro's he seemed very keen to play for us according to media reports! (Media reports i know)

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 1:15pm
He has been excellent at LB for Liverpool during the last few games. Liverpool have not missed Enrique at all. If he's eligable for us we should definetly try to get him onboard
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 1:18pm
If he is eligible, MON needs to roll out the "50 caps for ireland or 5 for England, your call" that Big Jack used on a few occasions. That's if the fella is any use!
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 1:47pm
Again, reposting this link :

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-jon-flanagan-not-3354654

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 2:16pm

Again, reposting this link :

Which has been contradicted by a number of reports since.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic