Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Celtic Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17431744174517461747 1936>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:13am
The problem is that it will probably take a new coach months to get his stamp across to a new team. You are looking at the same sort of overhaul,  if not bigger, than when MON came in and you cannot expect a similar impact. The game has changed from when you could bring in a gifted orator, chuck in a few statement signings and expect immediate results.
We will be second favourites for the league next season and I hope fans realise that, whoever comes in.
Sponsored Links

Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Originally posted by Reillers88 Reillers88 wrote:

Keep Turnbull and build the team around him. Keep Ajer if possible. I'd keep Rogic as a solid option from the bench. I still think there's a player in Ajeti even though a lot would disagree - he might come good under a new manager. I would liked to have Brown stay for another year to help with the transition but his days of starting consistently are long gone. Probably keep Calmac and Soro, Welsh and Barkas to see can we get something back on our investment and after that they can all get to f**k. 

I would get Christie as far away from the club as possible - the rumours of him being looked at by clubs in the EPL last summer has him thinking he's a lot better than he is. Edouards attitude sums up a lot of modern players - downed tools when things are going against him. Shocking lack of professionalism. Following Celtic this year hasn't been good for the mental health that's for sure. 

Agree with all of that. There was always going to be a massive rebuild next season, so nothing really has changed. Recruitment is key. We cant look at EPL players not getting a game and think they will be automatically good enough. No player we signed from EPL has been a success. Some will point to Elyounoussi, who has been OK in spells but largely been poor imo. The one decent signing Turnbull, came from our back yard, maybe we need to cut out any snobbery about signing players from other Scottish clubs.

Whilst the table suggests otherwise, I dont think they are that far ahead of us, as the last games against them proved. They have been able to play with no pressure on them for the majority of the season.

A new coach with a new squad will hopefully be able to stamp his ideas across the squad with all the existing cliques a thing of the past.

They currently have confidence, a winners mentality a good goalkeeper, and a solid defence, all things Celtic don't have. Goes a long way

Agreed this year Rangers have had a winning mentality. But dont forget they were in pole position the previous two years and buckled. A lot is to do with no pressure been put on them by Celtic and lack of fans. For a solid defence they gifted some gilt edge chances yesterday, but I agree in general they have been steady. 

Celtic have had a winning mentality for the past few years, hard to know what has caused it specifically, but it has eroded to nothing this campaign. Thats my fear with appointing Howe has he got that mentality? A studious coach by all accounts, whether he has the mindset to succeed in Scotland I'm not so sure
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 11:01am
I think this idea that you need a certain mindset for Scotland is bollocks based on nothing. I'm pretty certain Wim Jansen didn't have it, whatever it is. It is this idea that Celtic managers have to be connected to the club in some way and that's why we ended up giving the job to Neil Lennon when he as scrubbing his bollocks.
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think this idea that you need a certain mindset for Scotland is bollocks based on nothing. I'm pretty certain Wim Jansen didn't have it, whatever it is. It is this idea that Celtic managers have to be connected to the club in some way and that's why we ended up giving the job to Neil Lennon when he as scrubbing his bollocks.

Agreed re the connection to Celtic, I dont see the need for it. Wim Jansen was a European Cup winner with Feyenoord, with 65 Dutch caps. Point I'm making you need some sort of winning mentality/mindset to succeed. I'm not saying its a guarantee appointing some like that but if you look at most of the successful managers in Scotland they have enjoyed some degree of top level success as either a player or manager.

Tony Mowbray came up with a fragile mindset, despite him having played there. Got to the stage where he was asking the press to go easy on him. It was never going to end well. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 11:57am
Tony Mowbray just wasn't a very good manager. A lovely man who tried to play entertaining football who just wasn't good enough.
Having 65 caps for Holland doesn't mean much in coaching or managerial terms and Jansen had a poor record with Feyenoord outside the cups. I think he got lucky, Tommy Burns accrued more points in each of the two previous seasons,  playing better football, but luck is a factor. 

Howe is an excellent coach with a good few question marks over his record as they are all at one team that was bankrolled into the EPL. His achievements were in keeping them there playing good football. His mindset seems really good. He is clearly intelligent and the type of coach that modern players react to. He is a sort of poor man's Rodgers; less of a **** but probably not as good. The difference with Rodgers was he had little immediate pressure. He was appointed because the other mob had got promoted and knocked Ronnie's team out of the cup, but they were still a basket case. He had a lot of room for error that Howe won't have.  
The worry about his mindset, as well as that of the Celtic fans, is if the league looks lost early on and that's a realistic outcome. 

Rangers might not seem that far in front, but as RB pointed out, they have a settled team and style built on confidence and with a decent defence. Celtic have only a handful of players that anyone would consider keeping, have played without any clear style all season, have changes in the boardroom as well as the dugout and have  very unhappy fans. 

I just think, given all that, that getting a 'Scottish mindset' will be that key!

Edited by pre Madonna - 19 Apr 2021 at 11:57am
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 12:10pm
A lot can change with a better manager installed and the fans back I would also say. 
How many Celtic players downed tools this season, or certainly weren't giving 100%?
Eduoard definitely, Christie? Laxalt? 
Griffiths hadn't even the desire to get himself fit to start a match, Duffy something similar, Ajeti carrying a backside on him that you'd see in an amateur game on a Saturday morning. There are Junior B GAA players who got themselves fit during lockdown FFS and these professional sportsmen can't. 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 19 Apr 2021 at 12:11pm
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

A lot can change with a better manager installed and the fans back I would also say. 
How many Celtic players downed tools this season, or certainly weren't giving 100%?
Eduoard definitely, Christie? Laxalt? 
Griffiths hadn't even the desire to get himself fit to start a match, Duffy something similar, Ajeti carrying a backside on him that you'd see in an amateur game on a Saturday morning. There are Junior B GAA players who got themselves fit during lockdown FFS and these professional sportsmen can't. 

Edouard for me has been the biggest disappointment. I think other teams realised he wasnt at it and became braver when playing against us. Surely playing him for so long despite the awful performances needs looked at? Reports he didnt play in CL qualifier due to him looking a move, but I'm near sure he pulled up before that game so not sure how true that is. 

I said before the pursuit of Ajeti set the tone for our season. He lay on a boat sunning himself and we hung about like a lovesick schoolboy waiting on an answer. For a guy who hadnt played much you would have thought he would have been chomping at the bit to get going. To top it of we ended up signing him permanently instead of a loan with option to buy, which has backfired. I still think there might be a player there, but hes looked as unfit as when he first came in. 
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 4:43pm
Prentice & 2 other scouts binned this week
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 7:53am
Dominic McKay started yesterday so hopefully new management announced soon
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 12:11am
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

Jose Mourinho enters next Celtic manager market as ex-Tottenham boss claims he is ready to jump back in (thesun.co.uk)

Surely notLOL

Absolutely no chance Celtic aren't going to pay his huge wages or give him a massive budget that he would demand and after his behaviour in the 2003 UEFA cup final I wouldn't want him.

Edited by Double Maxim - 21 Apr 2021 at 7:02am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 9:13am
Things are bad at Celtic but they're presumably not that desperate.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 11:16am
Mourinho has made almost 100M in payments after being sacked. Genius. The special one for sure. 
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 11:38am
Hard to see where he goes from here. His days at top clubs seemed numbered, hence him going to Spurs. Always thought he would have a crack at managing Portugal. 

Celtic look no closer to appointing anyone. I'm sure they were hoping the season ticket renewals would go hand in hand with a manager announcement. 
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 8:11pm
Apparently Aberdeen are winning
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 9:13pm
At least it rules out Kennedy getting the job. Howe should have really of been signed, sealed and delivered. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 9:30pm
of LOLLOLLOL
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

of LOLLOLLOL

Classic Byrner.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17431744174517461747 1936>
  Share Topic