Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Celtic Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17241725172617271728 1936>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

You can't defend Rodgers, he's a certified mercenary, a good one but still a mercenary.

Whenever a bigger club comes knocking than the one he's currently at he's off before you can Whatsapp him. You can argue his choices have been vindicated considering where Leicester are now but you just know if ever an elite European club came knocking he's back to old tricks.

He's no different to any other player, manager or person in the world! All players, managers, and people in general all a challenge and to play\manager at a higher level.

Rodgers brought Celtic as far as he could and won everything along the way. I've no issue at all with him leaving for Leicester, it was the way he went about it. He should have just waited the extra few month, but he didn't and it tarnished his legacy

Calling him a mercenary is a cheap shot to be fair.
Literally everybody in football is a mercenary

Sponsored Links

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:46pm

You can't defend Rodgers, he's a certified mercenary, a good one but still a mercenary.

Whenever a bigger club comes knocking than the one he's currently at he's off before you can Whatsapp him. You can argue his choices have been vindicated considering where Leicester are now but you just know if ever an elite European club came knocking he's back to old tricks.

He's no different to any other player, manager or person in the world! All players, managers, and people in general all a challenge and to play\manager at a higher level.

Rodgers brought Celtic as far as he could and won everything along the way. I've no issue at all with him leaving for Leicester, it was the way he went about it. He should have just waited the extra few month, but he didn't and it tarnished his legacy

It's not a cheap shot because he acted in the exact same manner at Watford, Reading and more notably at Swansea before he ditched Celtic.

And he'll do exactly the same to Leicester as mentioned before if an elite European club came knocking

When he hears there's a bigger club after him he doesn't hang about LOL He's gone the next day, pretty much almost! That's why Celtic fans were furious, not because he went onto greener grass or anything, when he wants a new job, he's there next day without a flying f**k in the world.

Edited by coyne - 25 Feb 2021 at 6:48pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 7:36pm

It's not a cheap shot because he acted in the exact same manner at Watford, Reading and more notably at Swansea before he ditched Celtic.

And he'll do exactly the same to Leicester as mentioned before if an elite European club came knocking

When he hears there's a bigger club after him he doesn't hang about LOL He's gone the next day, pretty much almost! That's why Celtic fans were furious, not because he went onto greener grass or anything, when he wants a new job, he's there next day without a flying f**k in the world.

I'd expect any player or manager to go onto a bigger club. That's the way the world works.

Celtic fans felt that Rodgers slipped out the back door when he should have walked out the front door with his head held high as a Celtic legend, but his name is tarnished.

Time heals all wounds. He did a great job there.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 7:59pm

I'd expect any player or manager to go onto a bigger club. That's the way the world works.

Celtic fans felt that Rodgers slipped out the back door when he should have walked out the front door with his head held high as a Celtic legend, but his name is tarnished.

Time heals all wounds. He did a great job there.

So pretty much what I've been saying all along?

I think you get the impression that I'm saying he's an arsehole and a bad manager but if you refer to my first post I siad he's a very good one, he's a very high level manager, but he's also a high level weasel.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:05pm
ha not really.

I couldn't give 2 hoots if you like or dislike him, as it's kinda irrelevant - I certainly wouldn't be calling him a mercenary
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:40pm
Who do you want to replace him then?
Those being mentioned include:

Steve Clark
Eddie Howe
John Kennedy
Rafa Benitez
Roberto Martinez
Frank Lampard
Roy Keane

One i'm going to throw in there. Michael O'Neill
He isn't going to sell you many season tickets I suppose as the style of football isn't exactly swashbuckling, but will get the team organised and the best out of the players. A bit like what Gerrard has done across the city
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Who do you want to replace him then?
Those being mentioned include:

Steve Clark
Eddie Howe
John Kennedy
Rafa Benitez
Roberto Martinez
Frank Lampard
Roy Keane

He isn't going to sell you many season tickets I suppose as the style of football isn't exactly swashbuckling, but will get the team organised and the best out of the players. A bit like what Gerrard has done across the city

I've said it's Frank's if he wants it imo. Probably won't know until pre-season when the new man to replace Lawwell comes in.

1 person I can safely say it's not gonna be is Martinez, imagine leaving the #1 ranked country in the world with 2 tournaments coming up in the next 19 month or so for Celtic LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:23pm
Lampard would be my least favorite to get it off that list

I don’t think he’s a good manager 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:39pm
Frank Lampard managing Celtic would just about sum the last year there up! I would take his uncle over him, with Rosie as assistant.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:44pm
It's gonna be a difficult pick and it'll be equally difficult for the person who comes in.

There's alot of dead wood in that squad and if they don't qualify for the CL there won't be much money to play with either.

I can see Turnbull and French Eddy being poached if progress isn't made as both are well above Scottish football level.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 10:44pm
Not a hope Lampard takes the Celtic job. Couldn't see it at all tbh. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Not a hope Lampard takes the Celtic job. Couldn't see it at all tbh. 
Frank is made for the MLS
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 11:15pm

I've no doubt he'd do a brilliant job, but I'd be astonished if he were interested.

Everything he does is with a view to the medium-to-long term (eg 8 years with NI).

And he chose Stoke as much as v.v. because of the potential they offered him i.e. fabulously wealthy owners who are genuine supporters and who don't sack managers on a whim.

Unfortunately they completely screwed up their finances and recruitment over the last 3 or 4 years, incl signing loads of duds on long contracts with PL wages and no get-out clause in case of relegation.
One example amongst many is Kevin Wimmer, signed by Spurs in May 2015 for £4.3m from Koln. It quickly became apparent he was crap (15 PL games in two years) before Spurs sold him in Aug 2017 to Stoke for a reported £18m! (Levy should have gone to jail for theft and fraud! LOL)
After 17 games for Stoke, they realised he was crap too, and have since loaned him out to 2nd rate clubs with no money in Europe.
Anyhow, he was signed on a 5 year contract on a reported £37.5k per week. (His agent should also have gone to jail! LOL)
https://footballleaguefc.com/stoke-city-2019-20-player-wages/

He's just one of a number whom no-one else will sign and Stoke can't even release them on a free, since amortising the transfer loss would completely screw them for FFP. And even if they lend them out until their contract runs down, they're having to subsidise their wages.

Anyhow, having saved Stoke from relegation last season, and putting a bit of shape on them this, Michael should be shot of most of them this summer, which will allow him to go for promotion next season, when they hope to be free of FFP constraints and he may be able to sign the players he wants.

Besides which, he really doesn't want or need all the crap which goes with managing an Old Firm club.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 11:25pm
Lampard?

I think you must all have misheard, it's going to be "Lambert" (Paul, that is).

Ticks all the boxes:
Scottish
Former Celt
Knows Europe (a bit)
Has managed widely (if not well)
Will be cheap to pay (obviously)
And (most importantly) will be available very soon!

If it helps, he could probably choose from about 20,000 Tractor Boys who would all gladly drive him to Glasgow for the interview...Wink
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 11:28pm
O’Neill would take it in a heartbeat I think

“All the crap that goes with managing an old firm team”
Rodgers and Gerrard didn’t have any bother 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Lampard?

I think you must all have misheard, it's going to be "Lambert" (Paul, that is).

Ticks all the boxes:
Scottish
Former Celt
Knows Europe (a bit)
Has managed widely (if not well)
Will be cheap to pay (obviously)
And (most importantly) will be available very soon!

If it helps, he could probably choose from about 20,000 Tractor Boys who would all gladly drive him to Glasgow for the interview...Wink
I'd love it to be Lambert if only because pre madonna would be able to call it "The Lambert Puppet Show"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 1:00am

O’Neill would take it in a heartbeat I think

Why didn't he take the Scotland job, when they were nearly doubling his salary?

Why didn't he take other jobs eg WBA?

The man thinks long term. I'd say his ambition is to take Stoke to the Prem, keep them there, then manage maybe one properly "big" club (i.e. not Celtic), before moving upstairs to an Executive role or the Board.

He's already done a University MSc in Sports Directorship to go with his earlier Finance qualifications:
https://www.ucfb.ac.uk/our-people/michael-oneill/

“All the crap that goes with managing an old firm team”
Rodgers and Gerrard didn’t have any bother 

BR needed a high profile job after getting the push from Liverpool to rehabilitate his career. Which is why he didn't hang about once the job was done.

And SG needed to prove himself in a high profile position for his first job - I daresay Rangers was the best he could get.

Michael doesn't need any of that, he's better off where he is.

Besides, Celtic is a "no-win" job. That is, if you win everything, the reaction is: "So what? It's what you're expected to do." And if you don't win everything, you get binned.

Worse, when I say "everything", I mean domestically. Celtic (or Rangers) will never be a force in the CL; they do well to progress in the EL occasionally, which is no big deal for an ambitious manager.

And all that's before you get to the "crap"...Shocked

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 6:38am
Re Paul Lambert a mate of mine tried to get an interview with him several years ago for his Celtic fanzine and his response was Celtic is history for me not interested in them anymore.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17241725172617271728 1936>
  Share Topic