Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 216217218219220>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

A better player for Ireland than Damien Duff
both did little for Ireland but have to disagree. Duff played and scored in a World Cup for Ireland

That puts Gary Breen ahead of John O’Shea and Richard Dunne then.
Sponsored Links

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

both did little for Ireland but have to disagree. Duff played and scored in a World Cup for Ireland

Did little.....apart from the 200 odd Caps ffs

wouldn’t read a lot into the numbers. Not a lot of correlation between number of caps and performance the last 15-20 years in lots of cases.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 12:22am

Overall he probably was yeah.

But Duffers performance Vs Spain in the last 16 of the World Cup is probably the greatest individual performance of any Ireland player Ive ever seen. Was Messi esque.

The only stand out performance from McGeady for us was the 2 get out of jail goals in Tbilisi.
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 12:44am
Duff was underwhelming in a green shirt bar Spain, Saudi goal, goal against Russia and a brilliant assist for Robbie. All things considered
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 7:31am
Always found the hate of McGeady within our support very strange. Can only assume its the Celtic connection.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Always found the hate of McGeady within our support very strange. Can only assume its the Celtic connection.

That's the only thing I can really put it down to really. If someone like Callum O'Dowda had the same career the tone would be so much different when speaking about him.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 7:39am

It's the best ones that often get the hate, because many people are wired to only ever want better.

Sure Robbie Keane scored over 60 goals for a 2nd tier nation playing in the toughest confederation in world football, but too many of them were penalties or against weaker sides.

Sure Damien Duff played for one of the biggest clubs in the world, gave some of the best individual performances ever seen in an Ireland shirt, and won a hundred caps, but was that really enough?

In recent years its been the likes of McGeady, Coleman, and Hoolahan who have come in for the "not doing enough/overrated" treatment - it's nothing more than a symptom of the boundless dourness of your average supporter.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 8:07am
I find it's often the ones who break through at a really young age, pushing expectations through the roof, but that then can't quite fulfill the unrealistic expectations, that get the most hate. So that's probably why McGeady, Keane and Duff get a ridiculous amount of criticism relative to their achievements.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 9:40am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I find it's often the ones who break through at a really young age, pushing expectations through the roof, but that then can't quite fulfill the unrealistic expectations, that get the most hate. So that's probably why McGeady, Keane and Duff get a ridiculous amount of criticism relative to their achievements.

Exactly. Compare that to the likes of Weso, McGoldrick, Walters who break through relatively late and are widely adored by the fans. 

McGeady is a particularly hard one to decipher despite winning so many caps. I felt there was always a feeling of there is more to come or waiting on him to get better or 'click' but before you know it his career declined rapidly and his best performances were behind him. 
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 10:04am
Loved him, thought he got a v harsh doing in the press and from the stands. So talented, didn't always come off but he was a proper game winner when it all came together
Here we go again
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 10:06am
RIP Aiden, terrible news to wake up to.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 10:38am

Not sure I’d agree with that. I think the issue is that he had moments where he could frustrate or flatter to deceive. He could run at defences but it often seemed like it was down a blind alley. But he really did give it all for the cause, and had an excellent international career.

Funny, a previous poster compared his decline to Stokes’. That’s just not fair especially as McGeady has still been doing well, albeit at a slightly lower level, as he entered the later years of his career. A sign of a total professional.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 12:15pm
There's a lot of revisionist opinions here 🙄  McGeady i think has more assists for Ireland than anyone else and Duff was one of our best players for a decade.

Both probably had a form dip in their 30s which was more noticeable because we didn't have a pipeline of young players coming through to take the jersey off them. That's always been an issue for us. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 1:02pm

Celtic haters disliking him do you mean?

I liked him but he was a frustrating player and can see why fans wouldn’t rate him or would moan about him 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 1:35pm

McGeady frustrated me because he had so much ability but rarely delivered on it for Ireland. He would get himself into promising positions but his final ball wasn’t up to scratch or he would choose the wrong option. 
He did lack a bit of pace and physicality for the modern game. He would beat a man but just couldn’t burn him or leave him for dead. 
Credit to him for taking the tough option and declaring for Ireland. He showed up pretty much all the time also. Best of luck to him 

El Puto Amo
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 1:37pm
Unfairly treated imo.  Many an assist provided during Trap's reign and also delivered a bit of magic for the last minute goal in Georgia in 2014.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 3:30pm
Assists don't win trophies lads
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Assists don't win trophies lads

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 216217218219220>
  Share Topic