Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212213214215216 220>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

And Kenny still won't pick him. 

He's 35 ffs. What use is he for the future

Well Kenny might not have much of a future himself if he doesn't start picking one of the few players we have in form who is still an attacking threat and playing well for the last 4/5 months. He deserves to be in the squad. 

You could get another year or so out of McGeady and we're in serious danger of not even finishing in third spot in this group. 

Kenny needs to be a bit pragmatic given our disastrous start to the group and start getting results instead of just focusing on a future he may not be part of. McGeady given his form would definitely be an asset.  

Or we could just start building towards the Euros and the following World Cup. The obsession some lads have with McGeady is incredible. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:09pm

Well Kenny might not have much of a future himself if he doesn't start picking one of the few players we have in form who is still an attacking threat and playing well for the last 4/5 months. He deserves to be in the squad. 

You could get another year or so out of McGeady and we're in serious danger of not even finishing in third spot in this group. 

Kenny needs to be a bit pragmatic given our disastrous start to the group and start getting results instead of just focusing on a future he may not be part of. McGeady given his form would definitely be an asset.  

Or we could just start building towards the Euros and the following World Cup. The obsession some lads have with McGeady is incredible. 

Build with who exactly?

You seem a bit miffed because a poster believes a player should be called into the squad.

On merit, he should have been called up but we know Kenny won't and I don't see that changing either.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:09pm

What use was he in the past ?
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:10pm
He should have been in the squad for the two qualifiers in March and many of us said it at the time. Now that we've no chance of qualifying there's no point in picking him given his age.

At this stage it doesn't really matter who Kenny does or doesn't pick because he'll be gone soon anyway thank f**k.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:16pm

Why does it have to be one or the other?

What's wrong trying to be as competitive as possible in the short term while also planning for the long term. There are also short terms considerations such as our seeding in that we can't afford to throw out our current or next campaign in some vague hope that all these young players will come good in the future. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:33pm
Shows how far we've fallen with people clamouring for a 35 year old league one player to be called up 
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:53pm
Mcgeady is not the answer. You can see it clearly when he plays that his legs are gone. If he was to play at international of even Championship level he would struggle. 
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:54pm

Why does it have to be one or the other?

What's wrong trying to be as competitive as possible in the short term while also planning for the long term. There are also short terms considerations such as our seeding in that we can't afford to throw out our current or next campaign in some vague hope that all these young players will come good in the future. 

I waa hoping we would have called up McGeady for the luxembourg and serbia games. He was on really good form and thought he could have made a difference in the last 15 of each game if we needed him. As you said really help us short term.

No point picking Aiden for the games at the start of the month because of the long season he has had. I don't think we will see him in Ireland colours again. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:59pm
I'm not sure where he'll be next season, possibly MLS.

Sunderland have made it public about not wanting someone who's 36 next year on £19k a week.
He even had to waive his own contract which gave him an automatic extension after x games in order to play today.

But unless he severely reduces his demands he's played his last game for Sunderland.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 6:11pm
A Championship team will pick him up. Given the number of assists he has made this season and the fact he's available on a free, he'll be in demand.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

A Championship team will pick him up. Given the number of assists he has made this season and the fact he's available on a free, he'll be in demand.

A championship team may pick him up, but I wouldn't put any money on him being remotely as successful as he's been in league one. The step up to championship at 35 I think iis beyond him at this point.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 10:45pm
I don't think so, he keeps himself fit and has quality above most Championship players. Best scenario for Sunderland would be that he stays another season, I believe they would have gone up if Parkinson had not kept him out of the team for so many games.

Edited by Green Cockade - 22 May 2021 at 10:46pm
MacMathuna View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacMathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I don't think so, he keeps himself fit and has quality above most Championship players. Best scenario for Sunderland would be that he stays another season, I believe they would have gone up if Parkinson had not kept him out of the team for so many games.
+1
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 2:28pm
Firstly, Aidan McGeady is playing for a team just beaten by Lincoln City over two legs in the league one play offs. He has been playing at this level for three seasons now. LEAGUE ONE.

He's been over the hill for 5 years.

I believe that he is the most overrated player ever to lace up a pair of boots at senior international level for Ireland.

For an attacking player, his contribution has been pathetic.

Mcgeady had 5 goals in 93 caps.
(Against the international powerhouses of Andorra, Latvia, Macedonia and Georgia twice)

Shane Duffy has 4 in 42. He's a CB.

Richie Dunne scored 8 

I wouldn't have a 23 year old Aiden McGeady cleaning the jacks pot for an international side. Not to mention a washed has been 35 year old Aiden McGeady.

Edited by orourkeda - 23 May 2021 at 2:38pm
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 2:33pm

Turn that logic on its head. Surely you would have to ask why cant a player with "quality above most Championship players" (your words) get into a team playing in the third tier of English football.

This isn't exactly champions league.

According to wikipedia he made 29 league appearances this season. I dont know how many starts he got but 29 appearances out of 46 seems like a reasonable crack of the whip to me.

He spents two season of four at Everton out on loan at the championship.

Edited by orourkeda - 23 May 2021 at 2:41pm
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

A championship team may pick him up, but I wouldn't put any money on him being remotely as successful as he's been in league one. The step up to championship at 35 I think iis beyond him at this point.

So if you take that one step further and ask if a player is not capable to step up to championship level what chance does he have of stepping up to world cup qualifier level?
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by orourkeda orourkeda wrote:

Turn that logic on its head. Surely you would have to ask why cant a player with "quality above most Championship players" (your words) get into a team playing in the third tier of English football.

According to wikipedia he made 29 league appearances this season. I dont know how many starts he got but 29 appearances out of 46 seems like a reasonable crack of the whip to me.

Sunderland didn't include him in their squad list at the start of the season, because they've been trying to get his wages off the books.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-handed-salary-cap-boost-confusion-over-aiden-mcgeady-clarified-2958025
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by orourkeda orourkeda wrote:

Sunderland didn't include him in their squad list at the start of the season, because they've been trying to get his wages off the books.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-handed-salary-cap-boost-confusion-over-aiden-mcgeady-clarified-2958025

Neither is true! It was a well-documented personal feud with then-manager Phil Parkinson.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212213214215216 220>
  Share Topic