You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 182183184185186 220>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 9:59am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

it’s unfortunate the amount of people who quote Dunphy after an Ireland match the next day . Despite his nonsense it sticks in some people’s brains . It’s spouted out by many a taxi men and plumber ..usually starting with derogatory comments on Glen Whelan and the like ...

I like Aidan , at least he has a buzz about him and may do something on the ball ..

may being the problem.
I like McGeady but he really has done very little for us over the course of 10 years. A few assists pathetic goal return. Its time to move on.

A few assists? Try the most assists of any Irish international, a record he's held for quite some time.

Where is this tracked and how many are we talking?
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

it’s unfortunate the amount of people who quote Dunphy after an Ireland match the next day . Despite his nonsense it sticks in some people’s brains . It’s spouted out by many a taxi men and plumber ..usually starting with derogatory comments on Glen Whelan and the like ...

I like Aidan , at least he has a buzz about him and may do something on the ball ..

may being the problem.
I like McGeady but he really has done very little for us over the course of 10 years. A few assists pathetic goal return. Its time to move on.

A few assists? Try the most assists of any Irish international, a record he's held for quite some time.

16/17 I believe. For comparison, Duff had 5....
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 11:20am
5 goals and 12 assists.

Duff has 8 goals and 5 assists.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 11:26am
Duff was the most vastly overrated player to play for Ireland.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

5 goals and 12 assists.

Duff has 8 goals and 5 assists.

I’ve a feeling most of McGeady’s assists came from either corners or crosses into the box from set pieces. I’d be interested to know how many are assists from in play i.e non dead ball assists.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 12:24pm
That I don't know, but I'd say that they were not from set pieces.

Out of the 12 assists 11 were in qualifiers.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 12:50pm
Duff's record, especially assists, is awful when you look at it. Shows how over the top some of the criticism is that McGeady gets. Especially when you consider that Duffer has 2 EPL medals and starred in the CL against the likes of Barcelona. McGeady had nowhere near that sort of club career (I'm aware McGeady won 4 league titles in his career but winning 2 with Chelsea is a more difficult feat) yet he's criticised because he's not the 2nd coming of Messi.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 12:54pm
Listening to some on here you'd think he was the 2nd coming of Messi. Easily one of the most frustrating players in the Green Shirt in the last 10/12 years 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It has been disappointing because our expectations of him have been so high. We all thought we had a genuine superstar on our hands because he was a world class talent, but that shouldn't cloud the fact that he has been a fine player for us and, to use am overused and often annoying cliché, a fine servant.

True.
Expectation clouds everything.

If Callum O'Dowda went on to have the Ireland career that McGeady had then we would all be talking differently

McGeady has got 29 of his 92 caps (nearly a third of them, although I'd say around half of those 29 were as a sub) since 2014. In that time, he scored 2 goals V Georgia and won a game for us almost singlehandedly, and all credit to him for doing so. He has done absolutely fcuk all for us since then. 

The whole point re O'Dowda is that if O'Dowda is as ineffective for us in the next 4 years as McGeady has been in the last 4 years, he won't ever get to 29 appearances, never mind 92. Arguably a more valid comparison is McClean, a player with half of McGeady's natural talent or skill (and I'm being generous to McClean there) who has got 10 goals in 57 caps, he is definitely a player who has got the most out of his relatively limited talent, I don't think McGeady can say the same. 

I'm not arguing with anything McGeady achieved up to 2014 for us, he was one of our most important players and sources of creativity and the stats invariably proved that. At this point it should be stated that I couldn't give less of a fcuk what he did for Sunderland, Preston or Sheffield Wed during those years, as whether his club form was good, bad or indifferent in the past 4 years, his form with us has been consistent - very poor at worst, average at best. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

It has been disappointing because our expectations of him have been so high. We all thought we had a genuine superstar on our hands because he was a world class talent, but that shouldn't cloud the fact that he has been a fine player for us and, to use am overused and often annoying cliché, a fine servant.

True.
Expectation clouds everything.

If Callum O'Dowda went on to have the Ireland career that McGeady had then we would all be talking differently

McGeady has got 29 of his 92 caps (nearly a third of them, although I'd say around half of those 29 were as a sub) since 2014. In that time, he scored 2 goals V Georgia and won a game for us almost singlehandedly, and all credit to him for doing so. He has done absolutely fcuk all for us since then. 

The whole point re O'Dowda is that if O'Dowda is as ineffective for us in the next 4 years as McGeady has been in the last 4 years, he won't ever get to 29 appearances, never mind 92. Arguably a more valid comparison is McClean, a player with half of McGeady's natural talent or skill (and I'm being generous to McClean there) who has got 10 goals in 57 caps, he is definitely a player who has got the most out of his relatively limited talent, I don't think McGeady can say the same. 

I'm not arguing with anything McGeady achieved up to 2014 for us, he was one of our most important players and sources of creativity and the stats invariably proved that. At this point it should be stated that I couldn't give less of a fcuk what he did for Sunderland, Preston or Sheffield Wed during those years, as whether his club form was good, bad or indifferent in the past 4 years, his form with us has been consistent - very poor at worst, average at best. 

How many of those appearances were starts. By and large under O'Neill, he's been a cameo player. I've gone through it before, but in those cameos he's frequently created great chances that have been wasted. If O'Dowda manages anything like the contribution McGeady did when McGeady was a regular starter, he'll be a very useful player for us.
We're decent enough..
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 1:15pm

Was wondering the same and found this ; 

It only goes back to 2008, but given there were very few of our current players knocking about back then (Whelan, Walters & Long probably the only other ones bar McGeady) - I think it is valid for comparison purposes. 

In that time, McGeady is indeed our top man for assists, with 9. (I'm not doubting Horsebox when he says he has 12  in his career, the others must have been pre-2008). The important thing to note though, is that he hasn't had any since 2013. In the same timeframe;

Stephen Hunt has 6
Wes has 6
Coleman has 6- a full back who doesn't take set pieces
Duff has 5
Kevin Doyle has 4
Glenn Whelan has 4 (Glenn Whelan !! )
Robbie Brady (who takes poor set pieces) has 4
Keith Andrews has 3
Liam Lawrence (our last player who was actually any good at set pieces) has 3
Paul McShane (Paul McShane !!) has 3

So really, seeing as McGeady has none since 2013, Whelan is likely on his last legs for us and was never exactly a huge attacking influence anyway, McShane is unlikely to play for us again, and the rest are retired, really only Coleman & Brady are relevant on that list. It also kind of shows what a huge loss Coleman was in the last campaign, as he has proved to be not only our best defender, but one of our best attackers & sources of goals as well. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 2:13pm

Correct
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 2:19pm

It only goes back to 2008, but given there were very few of our current players knocking about back then (Whelan, Walters & Long probably the only other ones bar McGeady) - I think it is valid for comparison purposes. 

In that time, McGeady is indeed our top man for assists, with 9. (I'm not doubting Horsebox when he says he has 12  in his career, the others must have been pre-2008). The important thing to note though, is that he hasn't had any since 2013. In the same timeframe;

Stephen Hunt has 6
Wes has 6
Duff has 5
Kevin Doyle has 4
Keith Andrews has 3

So really, seeing as McGeady has none since 2013, Whelan is likely on his last legs for us and was never exactly a huge attacking influence anyway, McShane is unlikely to play for us again, and the rest are retired, really only Coleman & Brady are relevant on that list. It also kind of shows what a huge loss Coleman was in the last campaign, as he has proved to be not only our best defender, but one of our best attackers & sources of goals as well. 

So basically what you've illustrated is that the next "leading assister" that we've have in the last 10/15 years only has half as many assists as McGeady. Well done, you've really buttressed your argument tremendously there LOL
We're decent enough..
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Correct

I don’t agree, but this is a conversation worthy of its own thread.m. Goals and assists don’t tell the full story
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 3:39pm

Stephen Hunt has 6
Wes has 6
Duff has 5
Kevin Doyle has 4
Keith Andrews has 3

So basically what you've illustrated is that the next "leading assister" that we've have in the last 10/15 years only has half as many assists as McGeady. Well done, you've really buttressed your argument tremendously there LOL

Ya because 9 divided by 2 is 6..

Not comparing like for like either. Wes and Hunt has less than half of the appearances than McGeady. I don’t think an assist every 10 games is something to champion 

Edited by Pipkin - 28 Apr 2018 at 3:39pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 5:11pm

Stephen Hunt has 6
Wes has 6
Duff has 5
Kevin Doyle has 4
Keith Andrews has 3

Not comparing like for like either. Wes and Hunt has less than half of the appearances than McGeady. I don’t think an assist every 10 games is something to champion 

McGeady has 12, 3 prior to 2008.
We're decent enough..
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 5:25pm

Stephen Hunt has 6
Wes has 6
Duff has 5
Kevin Doyle has 4
Keith Andrews has 3

Could we possibly get an official clarification over these three assists prior to 2008? Thread should be locked until such time.

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 6:17pm

Stephen Hunt has 6
Wes has 6
Duff has 5
Kevin Doyle has 4
Keith Andrews has 3

Against who?

Seems quite a salient point regardless. Going by Deise's link there was only one year, 2012, where he had more assists than any other player. Hardly illustrious and deserving of the Messiah-like assister of his age.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 182183184185186 220>
  Share Topic