Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181 220>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 8:31am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What you are pointing out to me above is that McGeady has exceeded all those players? yet 4 of them are strikers and McGeady is playing from the bench too.

I wouldn't dispute your previous point about McGeady not playing well in the previous campaign although I thought he played well in his cameo appearance against Wales and Austria.

He may even play less in the following campaign too. If he does however play O'Neill should be looking to try and replicate the form he has showed at Preston or at the start of the season for Sunderland.

Not really HB, no. If we're being pedantic about it, he hasn't exceeded Hourihane (added another goal since I posted that) or McGoldrick. Agree he was decent for 20 minutes V Austria, where his job was mainly to provide an outlet & help run down the clock, he did that very well. Didn't notice him doing a thing V Wales at home, we didn't have a shot on goal and any (there wasn't much of it) bit of attacking we did produce came from Christie. 

Agree with you on the Preston/Sunderland form, but sure that is why he is in the squad in recent years, we are all waiting to see it for Ireland, and it hasn't happened. The context of the post got lost/ignored too in favour of club statistics, without looking, his Ireland statistics over the last 4 years would make for grim enough reading, and for a fella with 90 something caps, I think that is what should be focused on. 

He isn't some young lad with a bit of promise who might improve given 10/15 more caps (like say, O'Dowda) and with the likely retirement of JOS, he becomes our most experienced player. I don't think he will retire, but I honestly think it is bordering on delusion or groundless optimism to think he is capable of adding anything much in the next campaign. I'd be delighted to be wrong, but he has got numerous chances, mainly because of his undoubted skill, and those are chances that aren't/weren't granted to less talented other players, some of whom are mentioned above, but we have got fcuk all meaningful return out of him since Georgia away when he got 2 goals. 

Lets look at Ireland and then look at the wider context.

McGeady played 5 times in the last campaign and played well in 2 Austria and Wales and played poorly against Denmark and can't remember anything of note in the other games - I missed the Moldova home game.

Out of the squad who did play well in the group? What games did Brady or Hendricks play well in?

McClean and Duffy are probably the only 2 that I can say had a good campaign.

Hoolahan is retiring so McGeady may have an opportunity to play in that role where he excelled at Preston. That's entirely up to O'Neill, who may opt for somebody else anyway.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:29am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Lewis Grabban doesn't play for Sunderland anymore.

Still Sunderland's top scorer.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:21am
I'd like to see him in the central role he played at Preston. Couldn't understand why it wasn't tried in the last campaign, even when coming on as a sub, as he hasn't got the pace or the crossing ability to be effective out wide anymore. . If he doesn't succeed there (once he's been given a fair chance, not 10 minutes here or there), then he hasn't got anything else to offer us.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I'd like to see him in the central role he played at Preston. Couldn't understand why it wasn't tried in the last campaign, even when coming on as a sub, as he hasn't got the pace or the crossing ability to be effective out wide anymore. . If he doesn't succeed there (once he's been given a fair chance, not 10 minutes here or there), then he hasn't got anything else to offer us.

McGeady has no final ball, I highly doubt he’d do much at number ten.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:14am
He actually a very good passer of the ball, it's his crossing that is patchy. Similarly, I wouldn't be averse to giving him a couple of chances in the "free role".
We're decent enough..
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:22pm
He's the one player I can remember who is actually better at crossing with his weaker foot.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 3:38pm
I'd like to see him in a central role.....in the fcuking car park.

93 caps, fcuking hell.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

93 caps, fcuking hell.

It would be an insult to those in the 100 cap club if he were to reach the mark.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

93 caps, fcuking hell.
It would be an insult to those in the 100 cap club if he were to reach the mark.
And an insult to older players who gained 30/40 caps back in the day when we only played 4 games a year.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

93 caps, fcuking hell.

EmbarrassedLOL

ffs 

Hopefully he does and it upsets yourself and McKay Thumbs Up 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 3:54pm
Another assist for Aido. Playing well today apparently.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 12:09pm
He seemed to be at the centre of everything good for Sunderland last night against Derby. Marc Wilson made his comeback from injury in the same game.
We're decent enough..
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 12:23pm
Did he score a pen?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Did he score a pen?

He did
We're decent enough..
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Did he score a pen?
Very cool peno from Aido.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 12:56pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 12:59pm
Put one on a plate for Flether too at the end of the first half, lovely bit of skill out wide and a perfectly weighted cross over the defence. Seemed heavily involved in the 2nd half too going by reports.

Edited by The O'Shea - 31 Mar 2018 at 1:00pm
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:57pm
Hopefully he gets back in the groove. He is still a player who can offer us something in the last fifteen minutes of a game.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181 220>
  Share Topic