Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 176177178179180 220>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 4:08am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Give me Jake Mulraney or Anthony Forde over him any day, sure they're young and untried and that's all that matters.

Complete & utter bollix. Neither of those 2 players mentioned are within an asses roar of an ROI call up, even allowing for MON's 53 man preliminary squads and his recent statements about finding 'new' players. 

We really need to look at this in the bigger picture scheme of things, as O'Shea has pointed out before, we have a good few wingers currently injured, O'Dowda, Hayes & Brady are all likely absentees from the Turkey game, maybe O'Dowda might make it, the other 2 won't. 

McGeady is proven over a recent medium period of time (I'm being generous here) to be absolutely f.airying useless & ineffective in our jersey. I've watched him enough times to not give a flying fcuk about what he does or doesn't do for Sunderland or Preston, going on his international history, it has little bearing on what he does/doesn't produce for us. 

His potential replacements aren't limited to the above 2 mentioned, for example, we can, or maybe should, change formation to 3 at the back (maybe Clark, Duffy, Rice, or Clark, Duffy, K. Long) with 2 wing backs. Should we do that, Coleman is nailed on for the right hand side, maybe McClean could do so on the left, maybe Ward could manage it. Even in our current 4-5-1, Christie could fill in on the right wing, Matt Doherty could possibly do either wing. Seeing as Shane Long has given up goalscoring, maybe his work rate could be used to good effect on one of the wings. 

Whichever or whatever, this notion that McGeady is somehow still relevant to us, or deserves a place in the squad, is misguided at best. Genuinely can't credit how the consensus after the Denmark home game result was to generally agree that the team needs changing, an opinion seemingly shared by MON  (if we are to believe his most recent statements) , but yet we still have lads trying to persuade us that a fella who last had a good game for us 4 years ago should be part of that change. 

Whether Doherty, Christie, Pilkington, Forde or Mulraney are the solution, I don't think any of us can really say that with any degree of conviction, but anyone thinking McGeady should, or will be a part of that change is either still living in the early 2000's, or optimistic to the point of delusion. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sponsored Links

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 4:53am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

From a league perspective is there any player producing the goals and or the assists.

Not many I'd think.

All 6 goals & 3 assists like ? 

Scott Hogan has 5 goals and 1 assist
Sean Maguire has 3 goals and 3 assists (despite playing around half the games McGeady has)
David McGoldrick has 6 goals and 4 assists (despite having maybe a quarter of McGeady's talent)
Anthony Pilkington has 2 goals and 1 assist (in about a quarter of appearances)
Aidan O'Brien has 4 goals and 1 assist
Conor Hourihane has 7 goals and 2 assists

Those 6 players between them barely have a tenth of McGeady's caps for Ireland, their club stats for this season are very broadly comparable, Maguire & Hogan are unproven, but have youth on their side, Hourihane is knocking on the door a while, while looking unconvincing so far as regards Ireland, and I don't think anyone sees any of the other 3 players as a big part of our future, but yet according to some lads, McGeady should be.

I'm struggling to see on what basis, bearing in mind McGeady's most successful club season of late was last year with Preston, where he was genuinely in good form, but for us,  couldn't displace any of Brady (not in form in an Ireland jersey since France 2016), McClean (honest but very limited footballer who showed good form for Ireland here & there regardless) or O'Dowda (promising, but yet to really do anything of note for us so far). What makes anyone think at 31, that he is going to be a realistic option or a game changer for us going toward 2020 ??

I dare say if the other 6 players above managed 90 caps between them, never mind each, that they would/will, likely exceed McGeady's contribution of 5 goals & whatever amount of assists for us, in fact, given Pilkington has scored for us already & McGoldrick has 2 assists, as a collective, they don't have too far to go even now, even allowing for the fact that those 2 named players won't be getting too many (if any) more caps. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 10:15am
What you are pointing out to me above is that McGeady has exceeded all those players? yet 4 of them are strikers and McGeady is playing from the bench too.

I wouldn't dispute your previous point about McGeady not playing well in the previous campaign although I thought he played well in his cameo appearance against Wales and Austria.

He may even play less in the following campaign too. If he does however play O'Neill should be looking to try and replicate the form he has showed at Preston or at the start of the season for Sunderland.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

From a league perspective is there any player producing the goals and or the assists.

Not many I'd think.

All 6 goals & 3 assists like ? 

Scott Hogan has 5 goals and 1 assist
Sean Maguire has 3 goals and 3 assists (despite playing around half the games McGeady has)
David McGoldrick has 6 goals and 4 assists (despite having maybe a quarter of McGeady's talent)
Anthony Pilkington has 2 goals and 1 assist (in about a quarter of appearances)
Aidan O'Brien has 4 goals and 1 assist
Conor Hourihane has 7 goals and 2 assists

Those 6 players between them barely have a tenth of McGeady's caps for Ireland, their club stats for this season are very broadly comparable, Maguire & Hogan are unproven, but have youth on their side, Hourihane is knocking on the door a while, while looking unconvincing so far as regards Ireland, and I don't think anyone sees any of the other 3 players as a big part of our future, but yet according to some lads, McGeady should be.

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'm struggling to see on what basis, bearing in mind McGeady's most successful club season of late was last year with Preston, where he was genuinely in good form, but for us,  couldn't displace any of Brady (not in form in an Ireland jersey since France 2016), McClean (honest but very limited footballer who showed good form for Ireland here & there regardless) or O'Dowda (promising, but yet to really do anything of note for us so far). What makes anyone think at 31, that he is going to be a realistic option or a game changer for us going toward 2020 ??</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I dare say if the other 6 players above managed 90 caps between them, never mind each, that they would/will, likely exceed McGeady's contribution of 5 goals & whatever amount of assists for us, in fact, given Pilkington has scored for us already & McGoldrick has 2 assists, as a collective, they don't have too far to go even now, even allowing for the fact that those 2 named players won't be getting too many (if any) more caps. </span>
</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>

So basically, you've just illustrated that McGeady is still one of our best players in the Championship, despite playing in one of the worst teams and not being particularly fancied by Coleman since he's come in..... Thanks for that.
We're decent enough..
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:01pm
Aiden was a pointless answer on tonights episode of pointless on BBC. I don't think there's ever been a more appropriate pointless answer in the shows history!
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:06pm
Noticed that.

There were about ten, in fairness. If you didn't get at least two pointless answers from your final three, leave this forum now.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Noticed that.

There were about ten, in fairness. If you didn't get at least two pointless answers from your final three, leave this forum now.
What was the question?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:21pm
Ireland euro 2016 squad members. Name three.

I named two pointless answers and one wrong answer. I mean, I got a heap of pointless answers but among the final three I picked, one was wrong.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 12 Feb 2018 at 6:21pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Aiden was a pointless answer on tonights episode of pointless on BBC. I don't think there's ever been a more appropriate pointless answer in the shows history!

Brilliant. LOL

The TV Show Pointless doing all the work by summing up McGeady's season - Pointless and obscure 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Brilliant. LOL

The TV Show Pointless doing all the work by summing up McGeady's season - Pointless and obscure 

He's Sunderland's top goal scorer
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:37pm

Brilliant. LOL

Shows you had bad the rest are doesn't it, the bloke who cant get a game is also the top scorer and the bloke who hasn't played since November and f**ked off already still has more than him!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:39pm

Brilliant. LOL

Shows you had bad the rest are doesn't it, the bloke who cant get a game is also the top scorer and the bloke who hasn't played since November and f**ked off already still has more than him!

I'd usually expect strikers have to have more goals than wingers.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:41pm

Brilliant. LOL

I'd usually expect strikers have to have more goals than wingers.

Don't have your standards too high then.
Our 2nd top scorer last season was a left-back who left us in December for Crystal Palace.

Winning the top goal scorer for Sunderland is a bit like winning the 100m at school when all the kids were proper fat, its not much to brag about LOL

Edited by coyne - 12 Feb 2018 at 6:41pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 8:17pm
The bitterness is strong in this one^

Edited by The O'Shea - 12 Feb 2018 at 8:17pm
We're decent enough..
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 8:47pm
Bitter about what exactly? Confused

And says the person who said Jake Mulraney should be ahead of him the other day LOL McGeady's very bad but he's not that level of bad.

Edited by coyne - 12 Feb 2018 at 8:47pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:40pm

What you are pointing out to me above is that McGeady has exceeded all those players? yet 4 of them are strikers and McGeady is playing from the bench too.

I wouldn't dispute your previous point about McGeady not playing well in the previous campaign although I thought he played well in his cameo appearance against Wales and Austria.

He may even play less in the following campaign too. If he does however play O'Neill should be looking to try and replicate the form he has showed at Preston or at the start of the season for Sunderland.

Not really HB, no. If we're being pedantic about it, he hasn't exceeded Hourihane (added another goal since I posted that) or McGoldrick. Agree he was decent for 20 minutes V Austria, where his job was mainly to provide an outlet & help run down the clock, he did that very well. Didn't notice him doing a thing V Wales at home, we didn't have a shot on goal and any (there wasn't much of it) bit of attacking we did produce came from Christie. 

Agree with you on the Preston/Sunderland form, but sure that is why he is in the squad in recent years, we are all waiting to see it for Ireland, and it hasn't happened. The context of the post got lost/ignored too in favour of club statistics, without looking, his Ireland statistics over the last 4 years would make for grim enough reading, and for a fella with 90 something caps, I think that is what should be focused on. 

He isn't some young lad with a bit of promise who might improve given 10/15 more caps (like say, O'Dowda) and with the likely retirement of JOS, he becomes our most experienced player. I don't think he will retire, but I honestly think it is bordering on delusion or groundless optimism to think he is capable of adding anything much in the next campaign. I'd be delighted to be wrong, but he has got numerous chances, mainly because of his undoubted skill, and those are chances that aren't/weren't granted to less talented other players, some of whom are mentioned above, but we have got fcuk all meaningful return out of him since Georgia away when he got 2 goals. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:53pm

Apart from Lewis Grabban, of course.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:16am
Lewis Grabban doesn't play for Sunderland anymore.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 176177178179180 220>
  Share Topic