Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An apology for Heysel ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Man from Del Monte Man from Del Monte wrote:

Originally posted by Jackthelad Jackthelad wrote:

To be fair I think anybody not on a windup acknowledges that.

is someone planning a wind up ? 

I see what you did there. Nice!
Oh Poland we loved you.....
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Quote Planning's unwillingness to acknowledge Liverpool's  part culpability over Juventus in this actually trivializes the tragedy

I do acknowledge Liverpool fans part in what happened. What I don't accept is the popular misconception that those on the Liverpool side of the terrace were solely and fully responsible for the events.

The wall collapsed at the end of one of the lengthy riots in the ground that evening. More followed as the evening went on, mainly from Juventus fans seeking retaliation. I don't defend anything that went on, but to put the full blame for it squarely at Liverpool's door is wrong. Simple as that.

If it was the Juventus fans that charged resulting in the deaths of the Liverpool fans they as a club would be primarily responsible over Liverpool in that instance. You have spent your time on this thread excusing liverpools role in it by first focusing on UEFA and then that the Juventus's fans were just as at fault.

I know the Juventus fans were throwing missiles into the Liverpool section but the action which caused the deaths was committed by Liverpool fans.Therefore Liverpool the club acknowledged it (eventually).Why would they apologize if the Juventus fans were just as at fault?
UEFA themselves should've acknowledged their own part in it instead of pinning it all on Liverpool.We all know that but you need to accept your club's fans role in it instead of deflecting attention away from that fact by engaging in whataboutery.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 9:07am

14 LFC fans were extradited, tried and convicted of manslaughter for what occured on that shameful night, receiving sentences of up to 3 years.

The 39 fans who died following the attack (including one irishman) were in the neutral zone and included many Italian ex-pats living in Belgium, 4 Belgians and 2 French were among the dead. They hardcore Juve fans who caused trouble were at the other end of the stadium.

Never your fault........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 9:15am
Good article. My dad was in the stadium that night - crazy scenes by all accounts. The game was played while the emergency was unfolding behind the goals. Nobody was looking at the game by all accounts. Very strange.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Good article. My dad was in the stadium that night - crazy scenes by all accounts. The game was played while the emergency was unfolding behind the goals. Nobody was looking at the game by all accounts. Very strange.

Jesus that's mental. Where in the stadium was your dad? Apparently the players didn't realize the scale of what was happening until either later on that night or the next morning 

Edited by irishmufc - 08 Apr 2014 at 9:25am
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 9:54am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Juventus got their apology for the riots in 2005. Liverpool laid out the red carpet for them for the Anfield leg. It wasn't appreciated and in the second leg in Turin, Juve fans hunted for more trouble, and had their own riot before the game. 

Before the 84 Final, Liverpool fans were repeatedly assaulted in Rome and even today, fans of English clubs are often attacked when their team plays games in Italy. The most recent been Spurs fans when they played Lazio in Rome. <span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">In 1985, hooliganism was rampant among English fans in Europe. There were many riots in stadiums and widespread destruction away from the stadiums. The difference with Heysel was the stadium was fundamentally unsafe, and so the wall gave way. No walls give way during the most violent riots today. UEFA were warned not to have a neutral section separating the fans on the same terrace. They failed to heed the warning, and mayhem erupted on the night. </span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">It could just as easily have been Liverpool fans on that wall. T</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">he easy thing to do was to put the entire blame for what happened at Liverpool's door, and UEFA duly did, when it was easily preventable in advance. Today, UEFA still sell tickets for Neutral zones at finals and championships. So they still haven't learned their own lessons from Heysel. </span>

Juventus got their apology? Are you serious? A banner, a wreath & a round of applause is not apology. Liverpool fans are paying for what happened at Heysel. This justice for the 96 rubbish doesn't mean a whole lot to me I'm sad to say, thousands of cowardly bastards were seen clearly on TV that night in Brussells but somehow the club & supporters blamed everyone else & continue to do so 29 years on. Liverpool fans need not wonder why the footballing world hates them, the murder of 39 people has a lot to do with it.

Any time this JFT96 crap is rammed down my throat I get seriously angered, I was 6 & saw people dying at a match in front of my eyes & not one shred of responsibitly has been taken by Liverpool. Sickening.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:03am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Jesus that's mental. Where in the stadium was your dad? Apparently the players didn't realize the scale of what was happening until either later on that night or the next morning 
Dalglish claimed this but Neal and Lawrenson said they knew which meant they all knew.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:12am
First and foremost I want to react to the absolute brainless and bog standard 'it's never our fault' comments.

This is the mentality that causes these sort of incidents..

one thing I know is that Heysel was absolutely 100% not my fault and any other Liverpool fan. It was the fault of the people involved in the incident and as far as I am concerned they acted alone.

obviously because the were in a stadium at a game supporting a club the club has to take responsibility for them, but at no time has liverpool football club ever supported violence. They choose to fight their battles on the pitch.

living in Poland I am in closer contact with football violence. I have seen it first hand. I even had the missfortune one night of having a late drink in a Poznan bar and listening to the doorman boast how he was barred from Lech stadium and for him to continue to tell me how they took great pleasure in taking amphetamines and vodka and generally beating the living sh*t out of the away fans. The man had absolutely no interest in football.

we have all seen the documentaries and we have ourselves in Landsdowne road experienced football hooligans at an Irish v English game.

After reading this thread I am really considering if I will ever read or post on this site again. The bitterness is something else. I thought people on here loved football. I don't hate any club, the nature of the game is there is only one at the end of the season on top and whoever makes it, does so because they have worked hard and played well all season. I get great entertainment all season from all the clubs, bar none. Thats how it works in any country in every league.

Heysel stadium was a deep shame and stain on the character of liverpool football club and the victims of that night should never be forgotten.

but it's not my fault and its not the team who are playing their heart out this seasons fault and anyone who even brings it up is a bitter and twisted moron who chooses to embrace the absolute stupidity and hathred thatcauses nights like Heysel.

It's just a game and it is never ever more than the life of a human being.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:22am
Well said Andkend.
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Andkend Andkend wrote:

First and foremost I want to react to the absolute brainless and bog standard 'it's never our fault' comments.

one thing I know is that Heysel was absolutely 100% not my fault and any other Liverpool fan. It was the fault of the people involved in the incident and as far as I am concerned they acted alone.

obviously because the were in a stadium at a game supporting a club the club has to take responsibility for them, but at no time has liverpool football club ever supported violence. They choose to fight their battles on the pitch.

living in Poland I am in closer contact with football violence. I have seen it first hand. I even had the missfortune one night of having a late drink in a Poznan bar and listening to the doorman boast how he was barred from Lech stadium and for him to continue to tell me how they took great pleasure in taking amphetamines and vodka and generally beating the living sh*t out of the away fans. The man had absolutely no interest in football.

we have all seen the documentaries and we have ourselves in Landsdowne road experienced football hooligans at an Irish v English game.

After reading this thread I am really considering if I will ever read or post on this site again. The bitterness is something else. I thought people on here loved football. I don't hate any club, the nature of the game is there is only one at the end of the season on top and whoever makes it, does so because they have worked hard and played well all season. I get great entertainment all season from all the clubs, bar none. Thats how it works in any country in every league.

Heysel stadium was a deep shame and stain on the character of liverpool football club and the victims of that night should never be forgotten.

but it's not my fault and its not the team who are playing their heart out this seasons fault and anyone who even brings it up is a bitter and twisted moron who chooses to embrace the absolute stupidity and hathred thatcauses nights like Heysel.

I'll ask you this then, why is Hillsbrough brought up on a weekly basis yet the club distances itself completely from Heysel? It's like Heysel never happened. Liverpool tend to shrug their shoulders & use the same excuse time & time again - "it wasn't our fault".

Yes Hillsbrough was a tragedy but week on week the marching band is rolled out for the TV cameras but as a club & a city Liverpool turn the other way when Heysel is mentioned. Responsibitly was never taken & that is the reason for bitterness towards the club & it's "fans".

Edited by bundy - 08 Apr 2014 at 10:25am
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:46am
The timing of this thread is interesting, it was't brought up last year, why because Liverpool were midtable. The hatred is riff now because the club is doing well and I'm sorry but that really frightens me.

Who exactly and I want you to back this up with real quotes and actual facts, who representing Liverpool football club and management has said 'its not our fault'

secondly are u reading all Italian media, I presume and I am have no facts to back this up that the people of Turin and the clubs in Italy are each year having their own minutes silence and tributes to the people who died, which I am very sure Liverpool football club acknowledge. Being in Ireland we are not as exposed to what happens in Italy.

I can bore you with youtubes and reruns of all the football hooligan documentaries but so many of the people involved in football violence had no interest in football, their buzz and their gig was violence, beating the sh*t out of people.

there are no secrets or lies involved in Heysel, no Belgium police officers ever tried to claim the victims, the people who died were drunk or in anyway had any hand in their own deaths, which was attempted in Hillsborough. There was a clear line of blame in Heysel. The fans who rushed the wall, all of whom were convicted and the stadium which really was not fit for an event like that, considering sadly that violence was such a part of english football. HILLBOROUGH is totally different, the fans were blamed, the police denied that they were incompetent and that there was a breakdown of management on the day of that tragedy.
I
events like Heysel and Hillsbourgh changed football events for ever.
The mantra in both cases being that it would ' never again' happen.

only last year were the families of the victims given an apology from the government and the innocence of those that died acknowledged, up to that point even in the public records the fans who died shouldered the blame in their own deaths.

NO VIctim in Heysel was ever held under that shameful scrutiny.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:51am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

He was in the stands, safe and sound (part of his honeymoon!). Always heard stories bout it but never seen any footage/documentaries about it. Funny how the english media flood us with shows about Hillsborough.
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:51am

I get the rest but what about this highlighted bit ...what do you mean and any other fan . they acted alone etc .

The thing is they did not act alone and yes they were Liverpool fans with Liverpool colours on representing Liverpool Football club...the club you adore. 

it was not one crazed luantic running across the terraces...there were hundreds of them causing terror and a stampede towrads the perimeter wall that colapsed with the pressure put on it. I dont care if it was old . I dont care if it was made of cardboard, people in that section of the gound were so frightened by what was coming there way ....this was the outcome.

So Andkend , you need to accept this that though you were not there ....your co supporters of LFC were and they did this .

It just means that the double stadards of the Justicefor the 96 falls on ears that might not be so open to listen .

By the way you mention hooligans...Hooligans dont wear football colours and generally dont get into or even bother trying to get into the games ....these were fans of the club who got tickets from the club I presume 

Edited by Barna Bee - 08 Apr 2014 at 10:56am
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:18am

Liverpool are and never where shreiking violets when it comes to trouble around football. The whole history of the "football casual" phenomenon is directly traced back to Liverpool in the late 70's - early 80's when their fans "acquired" designed sportswear on their jibbing trips abroad to support their team. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:18am
I don't adore liverpool football club. They are the team I support in the English league.

My reason for getting involved in this is not to just to defend liverpool football club.

I would also like to say that the reason some people are showing so much bitterness is not really because of any real conviction for Heysel and the people who lost their lives, but to be against liverpool football club.

thats the mentality that frightens me.

how many Irish came to Poland, we got thumped in 3 matched, jaysus we could have torn Poland apart in an attempt to reclaime our pride, we could have given plenty of spaniards a good run around Sopot. When people were out of order and there were dumbasses the Irish chanted ' your not Irish anymore'

I support Liverpool football club and I want no hand or part in any violence.

let me just add about my nice friend the doorman here in Poznan, mr I hate any away fan who has the neck to set foot in this city. He is barred for life but is at every game. Now we have technology computer systems and ways to identify hooligans. Then they did'nt.

The majority of the people who I know support liverpool and any other club for that mater. Would stop supporting that club if there was continued violence. I Really do take the point of the person who said they went off football after Heysel. I can imagine I would have the same reaction. 39 people dying takes all the fun out of it.

There have been some serious ugly moments in football supporters history in most countries.

HOWEVER I am really not sure about the real motive behind this particular attack, I think Liverpools current success drives it more than real concern for the victims. That is frightening.

I will take it on myself to make sure I post remberences and comemorate Heysel in the future. Its very important to do this.
londonirish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:20am
it's never liverpool's fault.
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:25am

I don't adore liverpool football club. They are the team I support in the English league.

My reason for getting involved in this is not to just to defend liverpool football club.

I would also like to say that the reason some people are showing so much bitterness is not really because of any real conviction for Heysel and the people who lost their lives, but to be against liverpool football club.

thats the mentality that frightens me.

how many Irish came to Poland, we got thumped in 3 matched, jaysus we could have torn Poland apart in an attempt to reclaime our pride, we could have given plenty of spaniards a good run around Sopot. When people were out of order and there were dumbasses the Irish chanted ' your not Irish anymore'

I support Liverpool football club and I want no hand or part in any violence.

let me just add about my nice friend the doorman here in Poznan, mr I hate any away fan who has the neck to set foot in this city. He is barred for life but is at every game. Now we have technology computer systems and ways to identify hooligans. Then they did'nt.

The majority of the people who I know support liverpool and any other club for that mater. Would stop supporting that club if there was continued violence. I Really do take the point of the person who said they went off football after Heysel. I can imagine I would have the same reaction. 39 people dying takes all the fun out of it.

There have been some serious ugly moments in football supporters history in most countries.

HOWEVER I am really not sure about the real motive behind this particular attack, I think Liverpools current success drives it more than real concern for the victims. That is frightening.

I will take it on myself to make sure I post remberences and comemorate Heysel in the future. Its very important to do this.

Dont thinks its the current success that is driving this  ...more to do with the fact that the new tribunal for the victims of Hilsborough has started and is getting alot of media attention. ....which begs the question for the rest of us ....seeing as we are talking about Hilsborough maybe Heysel deserves the same attention.

For my part,  as a Spurs fan, I am admire what Liverpool are doing on the field of play....would be happy enough for them to win the league this year.

Edited by Barna Bee - 08 Apr 2014 at 11:26am
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:29am
I don't know what you're getting at Andkend in regards to the timing of this thread as it was Citizen who bumped this thread with an article he came across. I don't think Citizen follows any English team so Liverpool's current good form has no bearing on this.

As Barna Bee says Liverpool had to take responsibility as the perpetrators were associated with the the club. I suppose what irked the rest of the football world was the double standards when the club's own unwillingness to fully acknowledge their own fans part in what occured at Heysel. Liverpool were slow to (out of shame) to come to terms with their own actions. 

The FA finally took responsibility after years of English fans causing trouble at major football tournaments and together with the UK Police started coming down hard on the known hooligan elements, preventing them from travelling. There has been no major trouble involving English supporters since Euro 2000. These fans were dragging their country's name through the mud and they had to tackle it and it's been a huge success. 

If Irish fans started causing trouble at an Ireland away game, then collectively we have to take responsibility along with the FAI and then the government to tackle them as they are representing our country when we go abroad. 

The problem with Liverpool was their response was slow and the rest of the football world feel they didn't do enough. 

UEFA though were jointly responsible as they permitted the conditions to exist that led to this event. It could easily have been Juventus or United fans for that matter that caused the deaths but it was Liverpool and they should've reacted more appropriately
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
  Share Topic