Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=27710
Printed Date: 03 May 2024 at 3:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: An apology for Heysel ?
Posted By: Emerald
Subject: An apology for Heysel ?
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 4:19pm
Now this has been bugging me and most Toffeemen for nearly 26 years, but at last today we got the first acknowledgement from our nearest and not-so-dearest neighbours of the effect that Heysel had on us and other clubs.

This came from Mr K Dalglish who said:

“It wasn’t just Liverpool who suffered, Everton didn’t play in the Champions League and they were innocent."

“They weren’t even at Heysel, so there’s people with a lot greater grievances than us."

He also went on to say that Liverpool FC deserved their punishment.

He has gone up a lot in my estimation after those comments, which have been long overdue.

OK it's not exactly an apology, but at least it's an acknowledgement of the consequences that the behaviour of LFC fans had on other clubs and their fans. One of which was the break-up of one of the greatest ever Everton teams from which we have never recovered.

Well said Kenny, and hopefully it will go some way towards re-building bridges between the 2 clubs.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/02/17/why-liverpool-fc-had-to-be-punished-for-heysel-kenny-dalglish-100252-28185353/2/

Replies:
Posted By: Mr.Mojo Risin'
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 4:22pm
Kenny is a gent and a scholar!! Love the man! Clap

But in fairness I don't think you's needed Kenny to say that to know that Liverpool understand the effect it had on other clubs, and Everton in particular!  

-------------
Ahh heya!

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 5:31pm
Liverpool constantly seem to be in denial when it comes to Heysel and seldom recognise in the same stature as they would Hillsbrough........Kenny is really getting that club working the right way and it's good to see him acknowledge it at least.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Barry
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 5:59pm
but liverpool fans didnt do anything wrong their always the victims

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Liverpool constantly seem to be in denial when it comes to Heysel and seldom recognise in the same stature as they would Hillsbrough........Kenny is really getting that club working the right way and it's good to see him acknowledge it at least.

Heysel is Acknowledged on the club crest

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: devondudley
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 7:28am
the crazy gang missed out on the cup winners cup because of it, would have loved to seen them in europe they had a handy team

-------------
But fumble in a greasy till

And add the halfpence to the pence

And pray to shivering prayer, until

You have dried the marrow from the bone.

W. B. Yeats, September 1913

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 7:49am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

In what way?

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 7:52am

In what way?

One of the 'eternal flames'

-------------

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 8:13am
Murderers.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Posted By: Justice No. 1
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 8:37am

In what way?

eh I think you'll find that the eternal flames are in memory of those who dies at hillsbourgh mark.

But being a Liverpool Fan ( and therefore being less knowledgable than the rest of us) I can understand you wouln't be aware of thisWink

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Justice No. 1 Justice No. 1 wrote:

In what way?

eh I think you'll find that the eternal flames are in memory of those who dies at hillsbourgh mark.

But being a Liverpool Fan ( and therefore being less knowledgable than the rest of us) I can understand you wouln't be aware of thisWink

One is for Hillsbourgh the other is for Heysel was always my understanding

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 9:48am

Everton fans have a right to be angry over the European ban, that mid 80s team was absolutely superb and they woulda been serious challengers for the European Cup back then.  Fair play to Dalglish in what he said anyhow, a man with class.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: seaniemac
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 10:07am

One is for Hillsbourgh the other is for Heysel was always my understanding

Think it's a common misconception among Liverpool fans that the two flames represent both Hillsborough and Heysel but it's only Hillsborough in reality and the second flame is just for symmetry.

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 10:12am
There should be a flame on one side and a huge carpet on the other..

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 10:31am
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

There should be a flame on one side and a huge carpet on the other..

Shocked

Clap

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 3:19pm
bump,

good article i stumbled across on heysel

NOW that the lies, the smears and cruel myths about the Hillsborough disaster have been exposed once and for all, those who clung to them out of warped tribalism have but one straw left to clutch. “What about justice for Heysel?”, they plead. “What about the truth of what happened there?”

Actually, they might have a point, even if they raise it out of malice rather than consideration for the bereaved. The publication – and belated national acceptance – of the real truth about Hillsborough has been a source of great vindication for all who were affected by that tragedy. But questions undoubtedly remain about the Heysel Stadium disaster, in which 39 spectators – 32 from Italy, four from Belgium, two from France, one from Northern Ireland – were killed in a stampede before the 1985 European Cup final between Liverpool and Juventus.

Those bereaved and outraged by Hillsborough have fought to keep their campaign for justice alive and been entirely vindicated for doing so. By contrast, Heysel remains the tragedy that dares not speak its name. So let us talk about it. Let us state a few of the facts about whether justice was done.

We all know that English football, collectively, was punished, with clubs excluded from Uefa competition. Liverpool immediately withdrew, in disgrace, from the next season’s Uefa Cup. Within hours the FA, under pressure from the government, announced that no English club would play in the following season’s Uefa competition – and that of course included Everton, denied a tilt at the European Cup, and Norwich City, denied a first ever European campaign. Two days later Uefa announced an indefinite ban on English clubs. It ended up at five years, with Liverpool serving a sixth as punishment for their supporters’ behaviour at Heysel.

This was not a knee-jerk reaction to a one-off night of mayhem. This – both the sanction and, it could be argued, the widespread loss of life – had been coming. Heysel was the disgraceful culmination of more than a decade of ugly incidents involving English supporters on their European travels: Tottenham Hotspur in Rotterdam in 1974 and 1983, Leeds United in Paris in 1975, Manchester United in St Etienne in 1977, the national team in Basle in 1981 and so on until the spiral of moronic violence reached its tragic conclusion – logical in one sense, crazy in all others – in Brussels.

As to whether individuals were brought to account, 27 arrests were made on suspicion of manslaughter and 26 men were charged. (These, incidentally, do not tend to be described as Liverpool supporters – in part because of claims at the time from John Smith, the club’s chairman, and two Merseyside councilors that National Front members from London had been responsible. There are many sensitive issues here, but let us not pussyfoot over this one. As Tony Evans, football editor of The Times and author of Far Foreign Land, a brilliant book about his experiences following Liverpool at Heysel and all over Europe, put it: “It was a red herring. Hooligans from the far right would not have been welcome.”)

The prosecutions stemmed from television camera footage of the charge – the third such charge in a matter of minutes – that led directly to the deaths of those 39 innocent spectators. There are dozens of points that are usually offered to explain the context, not least over ticketing, segregation and a crumbling stadium, but the context does not begin to excuse what happened. No amount of context ever could.

Those stampedes might have been considered standard terrace fare at the time, a token act of territorialism and intimidation, but it led innocent fans to flee in terror. Some tried to climb a wall to escape. The wall crumbled. Thirty-nine people were crushed to death. The world was appalled. Turin went into mourning. Liverpool and their supporters were left to live with what they know, 27 years later, to be an indelible stain.

As for “justice”, an initial inquiry by Marina Coppieters, a leading Belgian judge, found after 18 months that the police and the authorities, in addition to Liverpool supporters, should face charges. Quite apart from the hooliganism, ticketing arrangements and police strategy and responses were criticised. By this stage, English supporters were regarded across Europe as such animals that shock was expressed at how the authorities had played into their hands.

There was bewilderment, too, at the choice of stadium. And where have you heard that before? Uefa chose a ground that had been built in the 1920s and condemned in the early 1980s for failing to meet modern safety standards, which were far from stringent. Evans recalls that the outer wall, made of cinder block, was decaying, that he was not required to show his ticket and that, long before the stampede, he saw a crash barrier in front of him crumble.

Jacques Georges, the Uefa president at the time, and Hans Bangerter, his general secretary, were threatened with imprisonment but eventually given conditional discharges. Albert Roosens, the former secretary-general of the Belgian Football Union (BFU), was given a six-month suspended prison sentence for “regrettable negligence” with regard to ticketing arrangements. So was gendarme captain Johan Mahieu, who was in charge of the policing the stands at Heysel. “He made fundamental errors,” Pierre Verlynde, the judge, said. “He was far too passive. I find his negligence extraordinary.”

In 1989, after a five-month trial in Brussels, 14 of the 26 Liverpool supporters who stood trial were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and given a three-year prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, and each ended up serving about a year in total in behind bars. The remaining ten defendants were acquitted of manslaughter, but some had their ÂŁ2,000 bail money confiscated, having been absent for part of the trial. And civil damages estimated at more than ÂŁ5million were provisionally awarded to families of the Heysel victims against the convicted fans and the BFU.

But you never hear of this because the tragedy is taboo. It was only brought into the open when Liverpool and Juventus were drawn together in the Champions League quarter-final in 2005, at which point the Merseyside club, after consultation with their Italian counterparts, announced it would be a game of “friendship”. Before the first leg at Anfield, Liverpool supporters held up a mosaic to form the word “amicizia”. Some of the visiting Juventus fans applauded. Most, it seemed, turned their backs in disgust. And while the rejection of the olive branch met with a little consternation on Merseyside, Liverpool’s supporters know all too well about the type of apology that comes too late, brought by events, to sound truly sincere.

Heysel is an unspeakably awkward subject for Liverpool – perhaps more, perhaps less, for the anguish the club and the city endured four years later at Hillsborough. It is a black mark and it will be there forever. Supporters of rival teams chant “Murderers” and the Liverpool fans have little response. On one infamous occasion at Goodison Park in 2008, the away fans responded by singing “2-0 to the Murderers”. I know that this was somewhere between a knee-jerk response and an attempt to “reclaim” that offensive description, but it sounded awful. Were they listening in Turin? You would hope not.

For many years, Liverpool ’s response to Heysel was woefully inadequate. I was shown a copy of the club’s official yearbook for 1985/86. There were two articles about the tragedy on page three, but they were both of the “Let’s put this behind us, improve the matchday Anfield atmosphere and look to restore the club’s good name” variety. There was no direct reference to what had happened. There was no hint of an apology. Later there was a round-up of the previous European Cup campaign, in which 1985/86 was identified as a “watershed” because it would be Liverpool ’s last for some time.

Over time, there was a recognition that more – much more – needed to be done. In 2000 the city of Liverpool officially commemorated the anniversary of Heysel for the first time – on the suggestion, incidentally, of Peter Millea, the chairman of Liverpool City Council’s Hillsborough disaster working party.

They do at least now have a memorial plaque at Anfield, they do have extensive coverage of the tragedy on their official website and they do pay tribute on May 30 every year, even if it took far too long for the club to recognise the tragedy and the stain it had left — not unlike Sheffield Wednesday with Hillsborough, although the circumstances there involved appalling failures at executive level.

Heysel is a huge stain on Liverpool ’s history. It is undeniable. And yet none of this diminishes the club’s or the supporters’ right to grieve or to campaign or to express anger over what happened in Sheffield four years later.

One real mystery surrounding Heysel is that the tragedy is even more of a taboo in Turin.

Go on to the Italian club’s official website in search of a tribute and you will struggle to find anything beyond 106 words within a 645-word article called “Juventus wins everything”, a tribute to their successes in the 1970s and 1980s.

Of the club’s first European Cup triumph in 1985, it says: “The long-awaited success in Europe ’s highest accolade was tainted with sadness” … “Something unexplainable happened …. and 39 innocent victims lost their lives. Football, from that moment, would never be the same again.” … “It’s a joyless success, but the victory enabled the Bianconeri to fly to Tokyo in winter to play the Intercontinental Cup final. Argentinos Junior were beaten on penalties and Juve were the world champions.”

You will have to do an archive search to find anything more than that – specifically a couple of news articles on the anniversary. One includes details of a permanent Heysel exhibit at the museum which opened last year at the new Juventus Stadium. The club has decided that relatives of the victims will always be allowed permanent free access to the museum.

This is progress. For many years the bereaved met with what they perceived to be a sense of denial from Juventus about a disaster that overshadowed the club’s long-awaited first European Cup win. In The Truths of Heysel – a book written by Andrea Lorentini, whose father Roberto died in Brussels and whose grandfather Otello has led the campaign for the victims to be officially recognised by the club – writes of the “bewilderment, reticence, guilty silences and suspicion” the bereaved have faced in their dealings with Juventus.

Justice for Heysel? There can never be justice for 39 lives lost at a football match, but it is in Turin , not on Merseyside, that the cries of the bereaved have met with silence down the years.

The families do not want their lost ones to become a cause celebre in England , particularly not when the purpose has purely been to score points on the terraces. A little more recognition closer to home is what they want.

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: Barna Bee
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 3:36pm
As a young fella I supported Liverpool but when this tragedy unfolded across the TV screen from Belgium I fell away from footbal completely, not just Liverpool but all football, for years I hated it .

Only in the last 15 years have i come back to the fold, now supporting both Spurs and Ireland !

I am not joking or sl*gging when I say Heysel wrecked everything for me back then . I was trully shoked by The Liverpool Fans .

As far as i'm concerned they never apologised and when they did it was way too late . To be honest i take all this Justtice for the 96 with a very large pinch of salt. Liverpool FC of all clubs should have understood about justice .....so saying sorry to Everton ....big deal Kenny et al....say sorry to the families of the 39 crushed becasue of the charge of your clubs fans !!! that would be more like it 

-------------
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 3:39pm
good article. The footage is shocking after the wall collapsed. 

Shocking negligence from the Belgian authorities, ridiculously lenient sentences handed out for both the hooligans and authorities. UEFA's clear anglophobia was a disgraceful reaction too which still resonates to this day imo. There's a lot of jealousy towards the EPL's wealth and global popularity from UEFA who had no problem when sides like Real Madrid and  AC Milan were spending big in the late 80s/early 90s. I remember Platini coming out with how he was glad England didn't qualify for Euro 2008. It was very unprofessional given the position he holds. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Barna Bee Barna Bee wrote:

As a young fella I supported Liverpool but when this tragedy unfolded across the TV screen from Belgium I fell away from footbal completely, not just Liverpool but all football, for years I hated it .

Only in the last 15 years have i come back to the fold, now supporting both Spurs and Ireland !

I am not joking or sl*gging when I say Heysel wrecked everything for me back then . I was trully shoked by The Liverpool Fans .

As far as i'm concerned they never apologised and when they did it was way too late . To be honest i take all this Justtice for the 96 with a very large pinch of salt. Liverpool FC of all clubs should have understood about justice .....so saying sorry to Everton ....big deal Kenny et al....say sorry to the families of the 39 crushed becasue of the charge of your clubs fans !!! that would be more like it 

Shocked

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Barna Bee Barna Bee wrote:

Shocked

when I say supported , I use the term very loosely , I didnt really support any team and had no real affinity to any team in Engalnd . I used support Galway United ....truth be told ( in the true sense of being a supporter)...it was probably more like having a  familiarity of Liverpool listening to mates about them 

-------------

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 4:12pm
Juventus got their apology for the riots in 2005. Liverpool laid out the red carpet for them for the Anfield leg. It wasn't appreciated and in the second leg in Turin, Juve fans hunted for more trouble, and had their own riot before the game. 

Before the 84 Final, Liverpool fans were repeatedly assaulted in Rome and even today, fans of English clubs are often attacked when their team plays games in Italy. The most recent been Spurs fans when they played Lazio in Rome. In 1985, hooliganism was rampant among English fans in Europe. There were many riots in stadiums and widespread destruction away from the stadiums. The difference with Heysel was the stadium was fundamentally unsafe, and so the wall gave way. No walls give way during the most violent riots today. UEFA were warned not to have a neutral section separating the fans on the same terrace. They failed to heed the warning, and mayhem erupted on the night. 

It could just as easily have been Liverpool fans on that wall. The easy thing to do was to put the entire blame for what happened at Liverpool's door, and UEFA duly did, when it was easily preventable in advance. Today, UEFA still sell tickets for Neutral zones at finals and championships. So they still haven't learned their own lessons from Heysel. 

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Juventus got their apology for the riots in 2005. Liverpool laid out the red carpet for them for the Anfield leg. It wasn't appreciated and in the second leg in Turin, Juve fans hunted for more trouble, and had their own riot before the game. 

Before the 84 Final, Liverpool fans were repeatedly assaulted in Rome and even today, fans of English clubs are often attacked when their team plays games in Italy. The most recent been Spurs fans when they played Lazio in Rome. In 1985, hooliganism was rampant among English fans in Europe. There were many riots in stadiums and widespread destruction away from the stadiums. The difference with Heysel was the stadium was fundamentally unsafe, and so the wall gave way. No walls give way during the most violent riots today. UEFA were warned not to have a neutral section separating the fans on the same terrace. They failed to heed the warning, and mayhem erupted on the night. 

It could just as easily have been Liverpool fans on that wall. The easy thing to do was to put the entire blame for what happened at Liverpool's door, and UEFA duly did, when it was easily preventable in advance. Today, UEFA still sell tickets for Neutral zones at finals and championships. So they still haven't learned their own lessons from Heysel. 

But that's the point the article is trying to make.20 years later is a long time. I completely agree with your post about UEFA. Their negligence was and overreaction was disgraceful. They used Heysel as an excuse to make an example of English teams instead of getting their own house in order. It was a long time coming when Liverpool took responsibility for their 'fans' part in it but certainly the responsibility for the disaster shouldn't fall solely at Liverpool's door either

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 4:47pm

Juventus got their apology for the riots in 2005. Liverpool laid out the blood stained carpet for them for the Anfield leg. It wasn't appreciated and in the second leg in Turin, Juve fans hunted for more trouble, and had their own riot before the game. 

Before the 84 Final, Liverpool fans were repeatedly assaulted in Rome and even today, fans of English clubs are often attacked when their team plays games in Italy. The most recent been Spurs fans when they played Lazio in Rome. In 1985, hooliganism was rampant among English fans in Europe. There were many riots in stadiums and widespread destruction away from the stadiums. The difference with Heysel was the stadium was fundamentally unsafe, and so the wall gave way when Juve fled to escape being attacked by drunken scum. No walls give way during the most violent riots today. UEFA were warned not to have a neutral section separating the fans on the same terrace. They failed to heed the warning, and mayhem erupted on the night. 

Simple Fact - If Liverpool fans had not charged at the Juve fans, this would not have happened and those people would not have perished. Despite the state of the ground, it was still down to animalistic behaviour that caused those Deaths. Don't go looking for someone else to blame. It's never your fault, my arse.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Simple Fact - If Liverpool fans had not charged at the Juve fans, this would not have happened. Despite the state of the ground, it was still down to animalistic behaviour that caused those Deaths. Don't go looking for someone else to blame. It's never your fault.
I think the point he's making is that this behaviour happened week in week out across England every Saturday afternoon and across Europe whenever England or English teams played.

That night a wall collapsed and tragedy happened.
It could have happened before but didnt same as Hillsborough could have happened numerouis times before it actually did.

I dont think he is excusing Liverpool fans behaviour at all.

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:00pm

Juventus fans's view on it all.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Simple Fact - If Liverpool fans had not charged at the Juve fans, this would not have happened. Despite the state of the ground, it was still down to animalistic behaviour that caused those Deaths. Don't go looking for someone else to blame. It's never your fault.
I think the point he's making is that this behaviour happened week in week out across England every Saturday afternoon and across Europe whenever England or English teams played.

That night a wall collapsed and tragedy happened.
It could have happened before but didnt same as Hillsborough could have happened numerouis times before it actually did.

I dont think he is excusing Liverpool fans behaviour at all.

That's a legitimate point but the fact was Liverpool as a club took a long time to address it (out of shame or whatever reason), and fully acknowledge their fans own role in it. To just say "a wall collapsed and tragedy happened" belies the fact of what caused the wall to collapse in the first place 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

They're really paying tribute to the families of the 39 there.Unhappy Dirtbags 

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:06pm

That's fairly disgraceful in fairness.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:07pm
The wall collapsed because the stadium was fundamentally unsafe and not fit for purpose. They even admit it in the article. 

How UEFA felt it was ok, to allocate a "Neutral Zone" to "separate" teams from two of the worst countries for hooliganism at the time, knowing that local fans of both sides would buy tickets for that section, beggars belief. 

I think it's common knowledge also, that there were fans of other English clubs in the Liverpool section. And at the time, they were only at games for one reason. 

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

That's fairly disgraceful in fairness.

Indeed..........

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:08pm
the banner is in very bad taste, but they're 100% right to tell liverpool to get f**ked with their friendship banner and red carpet gesture 20 years after the event. Their lack of empathy for Hillsborough is understandable, but this banner is too far. 

-------------

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

the banner is in very bad taste, but they're 100% right to tell liverpool to get f**ked with their friendship and red carpet gesture 20 years after the event. Their lack of empathy for Hillsborough is understandable, but this banner is too far. 
Thumbs Up

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:12pm

The wall collapsed because the stadium was fundamentally unsafe and not fit for purpose. They even admit it in the article. 

How UEFA felt it was ok, to allocate a "Neutral Zone" to "separate" teams from two of the worst countries for hooliganism at the time, knowing that local fans of both sides would buy tickets for that section, beggars belief. 

I think it's common knowledge also, that there were fans of other English clubs in the Liverpool section. And at the time, they were only at games for one reason. 

The wall collapsed due to the extreme pressure applied from the weight of people pushed against it trying to escape being attacked.

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:15pm
Despite all this, Liverpool fans say this about Chelsea.

Horrible club, horrible fans

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:19pm
The collapse of the wall relived pressure and therefore saved more people from being crushed.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: hulkhogan
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:26pm

Liverpool fans goading everton over Bucharest winning in 1986 as everton were banned..disgraceful carry on

-------------
Whacha gonna do

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:37pm

Planning you are clearly excusing those scumbag fans that triggered that collapse which is despicable.This has nothing to do with defending your club or point scoring. Liverpool themselves have taken responsibility but they should've done it a lot sooner, that's all.Any fair minded Liverpool fan on here would agree that sentiment.

UEFA were responsible for the conditions that led to the tragedy but you have to seperate the conditions from the event itself. When the IRA planted bombs in shops,pubs,bins etc etc they were responsible for that atrocity but the responsibility for the political conditions leading up to that bombing were the British state who still occupy a part of this country.

UEFA and Liverpool were both responsible for Heysel and both their initial reactions to it were wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 5:57pm
UEFA chose to stage the final in an unsafe stadium. UEFA organised the allocation of tickets, and were advised not to allocate them as they did. They ignored the advice and absolved themselves of all responsibility for what happened. There have been many riots in stadiums before and since. How many walls have given way as a result of them? 

I hold both sets of fans responsible for the rioting, I blame UEFA for the ticket allocation, and the Belgian FA for the stadium condition/wall collapse. Most people though took the simpler option. 

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

To just say "a wall collapsed and tragedy happened" belies the fact of what caused the wall to collapse in the first place 

Thats not what I meant, you are taking what I wrote out of context.

My point is that this tragedy was waiting to happen for years and could have happened anywhere anytime during 70s and 80s.

In no way am I excusing Liverpool fans or blaming anyone else for what happened.

Posted By: Jackthelad
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 6:12pm
Liverpool should have apologized formally way before they did, a mistake on the clubs part, a big mistake.
What many agree on is true though. This was a tragedy waiting to happen based on A: the culture of rioting amongst English clubs fans and B: the state of heysel at the time.
Hillsborough is a completely separate matter and they should not be linked. Are some suggesting their families don't deserve justice?

-------------
Oh Poland we loved you.....

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 6:28pm

UEFA chose to stage the final in an unsafe stadium. UEFA organised the allocation of tickets, and were advised not to allocate them as they did. They ignored the advice and absolved themselves of all responsibility for what happened. There have been many riots in stadiums before and since. How many walls have given way as a result of them? 

I hold both sets of fans responsible for the rioting, I blame UEFA for the ticket allocation, and the Belgian FA for the stadium condition/wall collapse. Most people though took the simpler option. 

If it was the Juventus fans that done the charging and there were 39 dead Liverpool fans, you would in your bollix be blaming both sets of fans and you know it. I find that a despicable attitude.

You couldn't even take a bit of sl*gging on here about Liverpool being founded by an orangeman in good spirit to which the other Liverpool fans did despite your claims to the contrary. 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 6:33pm

To just say "a wall collapsed and tragedy happened" belies the fact of what caused the wall to collapse in the first place 

Thats not what I meant, you are taking what I wrote out of context.

My point is that this tragedy was waiting to happen for years and could have happened anywhere anytime during 70s and 80s.

In no way am I excusing Liverpool fans or blaming anyone else for what happened.

It was waiting to happen for years and that is down to UEFA but the way you worded it you seemed to ignore the fact of why the wall actually collapsed in that moment.  

-------------

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 6:51pm
sadly i'm not surprised by plannings stance on this Thumbs Down

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

sadly i'm not surprised by plannings stance on this Thumbs Down

Honestly thing is DP I'm not even trying to stick the knife in here or point score in any way. I was on a train with United fans coming back from OT and they were singing about crushed scousers at hillsborough so I'm certainly not trying to take any moral high ground in that 'our scum are not as bad as your scum' but Planning's unwillingness to acknowledge Liverpool's  part culpability over Juventus in this actually trivializes the tragedy and I find that a woeful attitude to have. 

Whatever about defending trappattoni to the hilt, you cannot defend the indefensible especially when it resulted in the loss of human life

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 7:05pm
Planning just takes the unpopular view on everything to get attention. I just ignore him now. Everything he says is utter garbage.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Planning just takes the unpopular view on everything to get attention. I just ignore him now. Everything he says is utter garbage.

There's a few posters on here who fall into this category.

An ignore button was previously mentioned...

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

An ignore button was previously mentioned...

Grand idea that ignore button but I'd be desperately lonely here.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Who else?

Name and shame.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 7:58pm
Jinky, Javier, Planning, RTID (sometimes)
C'mon we all have them...

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 8:18pm
Quote Planning's unwillingness to acknowledge Liverpool's  part culpability over Juventus in this actually trivializes the tragedy

I do acknowledge Liverpool fans part in what happened. What I don't accept is the popular misconception that those on the Liverpool side of the terrace were solely and fully responsible for the events.

The wall collapsed at the end of one of the lengthy riots in the ground that evening. More followed as the evening went on, mainly from Juventus fans seeking retaliation. I don't defend anything that went on, but to put the full blame for it squarely at Liverpool's door is wrong. Simple as that.

Posted By: Man from Del Monte
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 9:54pm

Quote Planning's unwillingness to acknowledge Liverpool's  part culpability over Juventus in this actually trivializes the tragedy

I do acknowledge Liverpool fans part in what happened. What I don't accept is the popular misconception that those on the Liverpool side of the terrace were solely and fully responsible for the events.

The wall collapsed at the end of one of the lengthy riots in the ground that evening. More followed as the evening went on, mainly from Juventus fans seeking retaliation. I don't defend anything that went on, but to put the full blame for it squarely at Liverpool's door is wrong. Simple as that.

it wuz chelsea lard

-------------
say yes

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Jackthelad Jackthelad wrote:

Liverpool should have apologized formally way before they did, a mistake on the clubs part, a big mistake.
What many agree on is true though. This was a tragedy waiting to happen based on A: the culture of rioting amongst English clubs fans and B: the state of heysel at the time.
Hillsborough is a completely separate matter and they should not be linked. Are some suggesting their families don't deserve justice?

It's chalk and cheese:

Liverpool fans were totally to blame for Heysel - hooliganism
Liverpool fans were completely blameless for Hillsborough - police ineptitude/fences blocking escape

The 2 tragedies should never be compared.

-------------
say yes

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 10:05pm
To be fair I think anybody not on a windup acknowledges that.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 10:08pm

is someone planning a wind up ? 

-------------
say yes

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Man from Del Monte Man from Del Monte wrote:

is someone planning a wind up ? 

I see what you did there. Nice!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 11:44pm

If it was the Juventus fans that charged resulting in the deaths of the Liverpool fans they as a club would be primarily responsible over Liverpool in that instance. You have spent your time on this thread excusing liverpools role in it by first focusing on UEFA and then that the Juventus's fans were just as at fault.

I know the Juventus fans were throwing missiles into the Liverpool section but the action which caused the deaths was committed by Liverpool fans.Therefore Liverpool the club acknowledged it (eventually).Why would they apologize if the Juventus fans were just as at fault?
UEFA themselves should've acknowledged their own part in it instead of pinning it all on Liverpool.We all know that but you need to accept your club's fans role in it instead of deflecting attention away from that fact by engaging in whataboutery.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 9:07am

14 LFC fans were extradited, tried and convicted of manslaughter for what occured on that shameful night, receiving sentences of up to 3 years.

The 39 fans who died following the attack (including one irishman) were in the neutral zone and included many Italian ex-pats living in Belgium, 4 Belgians and 2 French were among the dead. They hardcore Juve fans who caused trouble were at the other end of the stadium.

Never your fault........

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 9:15am
Good article. My dad was in the stadium that night - crazy scenes by all accounts. The game was played while the emergency was unfolding behind the goals. Nobody was looking at the game by all accounts. Very strange.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Good article. My dad was in the stadium that night - crazy scenes by all accounts. The game was played while the emergency was unfolding behind the goals. Nobody was looking at the game by all accounts. Very strange.

Jesus that's mental. Where in the stadium was your dad? Apparently the players didn't realize the scale of what was happening until either later on that night or the next morning 

-------------

Posted By: bundy
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 9:54am

Before the 84 Final, Liverpool fans were repeatedly assaulted in Rome and even today, fans of English clubs are often attacked when their team plays games in Italy. The most recent been Spurs fans when they played Lazio in Rome. <span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">In 1985, hooliganism was rampant among English fans in Europe. There were many riots in stadiums and widespread destruction away from the stadiums. The difference with Heysel was the stadium was fundamentally unsafe, and so the wall gave way. No walls give way during the most violent riots today. UEFA were warned not to have a neutral section separating the fans on the same terrace. They failed to heed the warning, and mayhem erupted on the night. </span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">It could just as easily have been Liverpool fans on that wall. T</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">he easy thing to do was to put the entire blame for what happened at Liverpool's door, and UEFA duly did, when it was easily preventable in advance. Today, UEFA still sell tickets for Neutral zones at finals and championships. So they still haven't learned their own lessons from Heysel. </span>

Juventus got their apology? Are you serious? A banner, a wreath & a round of applause is not apology. Liverpool fans are paying for what happened at Heysel. This justice for the 96 rubbish doesn't mean a whole lot to me I'm sad to say, thousands of cowardly bastards were seen clearly on TV that night in Brussells but somehow the club & supporters blamed everyone else & continue to do so 29 years on. Liverpool fans need not wonder why the footballing world hates them, the murder of 39 people has a lot to do with it.

Any time this JFT96 crap is rammed down my throat I get seriously angered, I was 6 & saw people dying at a match in front of my eyes & not one shred of responsibitly has been taken by Liverpool. Sickening.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:03am

Jesus that's mental. Where in the stadium was your dad? Apparently the players didn't realize the scale of what was happening until either later on that night or the next morning 
Dalglish claimed this but Neal and Lawrenson said they knew which meant they all knew.

Posted By: Andkend
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:12am
First and foremost I want to react to the absolute brainless and bog standard 'it's never our fault' comments.

This is the mentality that causes these sort of incidents..

one thing I know is that Heysel was absolutely 100% not my fault and any other Liverpool fan. It was the fault of the people involved in the incident and as far as I am concerned they acted alone.

obviously because the were in a stadium at a game supporting a club the club has to take responsibility for them, but at no time has liverpool football club ever supported violence. They choose to fight their battles on the pitch.

living in Poland I am in closer contact with football violence. I have seen it first hand. I even had the missfortune one night of having a late drink in a Poznan bar and listening to the doorman boast how he was barred from Lech stadium and for him to continue to tell me how they took great pleasure in taking amphetamines and vodka and generally beating the living sh*t out of the away fans. The man had absolutely no interest in football.

we have all seen the documentaries and we have ourselves in Landsdowne road experienced football hooligans at an Irish v English game.

After reading this thread I am really considering if I will ever read or post on this site again. The bitterness is something else. I thought people on here loved football. I don't hate any club, the nature of the game is there is only one at the end of the season on top and whoever makes it, does so because they have worked hard and played well all season. I get great entertainment all season from all the clubs, bar none. Thats how it works in any country in every league.

Heysel stadium was a deep shame and stain on the character of liverpool football club and the victims of that night should never be forgotten.

but it's not my fault and its not the team who are playing their heart out this seasons fault and anyone who even brings it up is a bitter and twisted moron who chooses to embrace the absolute stupidity and hathred thatcauses nights like Heysel.

It's just a game and it is never ever more than the life of a human being.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:22am
Well said Andkend.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Andkend Andkend wrote:

First and foremost I want to react to the absolute brainless and bog standard 'it's never our fault' comments.

one thing I know is that Heysel was absolutely 100% not my fault and any other Liverpool fan. It was the fault of the people involved in the incident and as far as I am concerned they acted alone.

obviously because the were in a stadium at a game supporting a club the club has to take responsibility for them, but at no time has liverpool football club ever supported violence. They choose to fight their battles on the pitch.

living in Poland I am in closer contact with football violence. I have seen it first hand. I even had the missfortune one night of having a late drink in a Poznan bar and listening to the doorman boast how he was barred from Lech stadium and for him to continue to tell me how they took great pleasure in taking amphetamines and vodka and generally beating the living sh*t out of the away fans. The man had absolutely no interest in football.

we have all seen the documentaries and we have ourselves in Landsdowne road experienced football hooligans at an Irish v English game.

After reading this thread I am really considering if I will ever read or post on this site again. The bitterness is something else. I thought people on here loved football. I don't hate any club, the nature of the game is there is only one at the end of the season on top and whoever makes it, does so because they have worked hard and played well all season. I get great entertainment all season from all the clubs, bar none. Thats how it works in any country in every league.

Heysel stadium was a deep shame and stain on the character of liverpool football club and the victims of that night should never be forgotten.

but it's not my fault and its not the team who are playing their heart out this seasons fault and anyone who even brings it up is a bitter and twisted moron who chooses to embrace the absolute stupidity and hathred thatcauses nights like Heysel.

I'll ask you this then, why is Hillsbrough brought up on a weekly basis yet the club distances itself completely from Heysel? It's like Heysel never happened. Liverpool tend to shrug their shoulders & use the same excuse time & time again - "it wasn't our fault".

Yes Hillsbrough was a tragedy but week on week the marching band is rolled out for the TV cameras but as a club & a city Liverpool turn the other way when Heysel is mentioned. Responsibitly was never taken & that is the reason for bitterness towards the club & it's "fans".

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:46am
The timing of this thread is interesting, it was't brought up last year, why because Liverpool were midtable. The hatred is riff now because the club is doing well and I'm sorry but that really frightens me.

Who exactly and I want you to back this up with real quotes and actual facts, who representing Liverpool football club and management has said 'its not our fault'

secondly are u reading all Italian media, I presume and I am have no facts to back this up that the people of Turin and the clubs in Italy are each year having their own minutes silence and tributes to the people who died, which I am very sure Liverpool football club acknowledge. Being in Ireland we are not as exposed to what happens in Italy.

I can bore you with youtubes and reruns of all the football hooligan documentaries but so many of the people involved in football violence had no interest in football, their buzz and their gig was violence, beating the sh*t out of people.

there are no secrets or lies involved in Heysel, no Belgium police officers ever tried to claim the victims, the people who died were drunk or in anyway had any hand in their own deaths, which was attempted in Hillsborough. There was a clear line of blame in Heysel. The fans who rushed the wall, all of whom were convicted and the stadium which really was not fit for an event like that, considering sadly that violence was such a part of english football. HILLBOROUGH is totally different, the fans were blamed, the police denied that they were incompetent and that there was a breakdown of management on the day of that tragedy.
I
events like Heysel and Hillsbourgh changed football events for ever.
The mantra in both cases being that it would ' never again' happen.

only last year were the families of the victims given an apology from the government and the innocence of those that died acknowledged, up to that point even in the public records the fans who died shouldered the blame in their own deaths.

NO VIctim in Heysel was ever held under that shameful scrutiny.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:51am

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

He was in the stands, safe and sound (part of his honeymoon!). Always heard stories bout it but never seen any footage/documentaries about it. Funny how the english media flood us with shows about Hillsborough.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 10:51am

I get the rest but what about this highlighted bit ...what do you mean and any other fan . they acted alone etc .

The thing is they did not act alone and yes they were Liverpool fans with Liverpool colours on representing Liverpool Football club...the club you adore. 

it was not one crazed luantic running across the terraces...there were hundreds of them causing terror and a stampede towrads the perimeter wall that colapsed with the pressure put on it. I dont care if it was old . I dont care if it was made of cardboard, people in that section of the gound were so frightened by what was coming there way ....this was the outcome.

So Andkend , you need to accept this that though you were not there ....your co supporters of LFC were and they did this .

It just means that the double stadards of the Justicefor the 96 falls on ears that might not be so open to listen .

By the way you mention hooligans...Hooligans dont wear football colours and generally dont get into or even bother trying to get into the games ....these were fans of the club who got tickets from the club I presume 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:18am

Liverpool are and never where shreiking violets when it comes to trouble around football. The whole history of the "football casual" phenomenon is directly traced back to Liverpool in the late 70's - early 80's when their fans "acquired" designed sportswear on their jibbing trips abroad to support their team. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:18am
I don't adore liverpool football club. They are the team I support in the English league.

My reason for getting involved in this is not to just to defend liverpool football club.

I would also like to say that the reason some people are showing so much bitterness is not really because of any real conviction for Heysel and the people who lost their lives, but to be against liverpool football club.

thats the mentality that frightens me.

how many Irish came to Poland, we got thumped in 3 matched, jaysus we could have torn Poland apart in an attempt to reclaime our pride, we could have given plenty of spaniards a good run around Sopot. When people were out of order and there were dumbasses the Irish chanted ' your not Irish anymore'

I support Liverpool football club and I want no hand or part in any violence.

let me just add about my nice friend the doorman here in Poznan, mr I hate any away fan who has the neck to set foot in this city. He is barred for life but is at every game. Now we have technology computer systems and ways to identify hooligans. Then they did'nt.

The majority of the people who I know support liverpool and any other club for that mater. Would stop supporting that club if there was continued violence. I Really do take the point of the person who said they went off football after Heysel. I can imagine I would have the same reaction. 39 people dying takes all the fun out of it.

There have been some serious ugly moments in football supporters history in most countries.

HOWEVER I am really not sure about the real motive behind this particular attack, I think Liverpools current success drives it more than real concern for the victims. That is frightening.

I will take it on myself to make sure I post remberences and comemorate Heysel in the future. Its very important to do this.

Posted By: londonirish
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:20am
it's never liverpool's fault.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:25am

I don't adore liverpool football club. They are the team I support in the English league.

My reason for getting involved in this is not to just to defend liverpool football club.

I would also like to say that the reason some people are showing so much bitterness is not really because of any real conviction for Heysel and the people who lost their lives, but to be against liverpool football club.

how many Irish came to Poland, we got thumped in 3 matched, jaysus we could have torn Poland apart in an attempt to reclaime our pride, we could have given plenty of spaniards a good run around Sopot. When people were out of order and there were dumbasses the Irish chanted ' your not Irish anymore'

let me just add about my nice friend the doorman here in Poznan, mr I hate any away fan who has the neck to set foot in this city. He is barred for life but is at every game. Now we have technology computer systems and ways to identify hooligans. Then they did'nt.

The majority of the people who I know support liverpool and any other club for that mater. Would stop supporting that club if there was continued violence. I Really do take the point of the person who said they went off football after Heysel. I can imagine I would have the same reaction. 39 people dying takes all the fun out of it.

There have been some serious ugly moments in football supporters history in most countries.

HOWEVER I am really not sure about the real motive behind this particular attack, I think Liverpools current success drives it more than real concern for the victims. That is frightening.

I will take it on myself to make sure I post remberences and comemorate Heysel in the future. Its very important to do this.

Dont thinks its the current success that is driving this  ...more to do with the fact that the new tribunal for the victims of Hilsborough has started and is getting alot of media attention. ....which begs the question for the rest of us ....seeing as we are talking about Hilsborough maybe Heysel deserves the same attention.

For my part,  as a Spurs fan, I am admire what Liverpool are doing on the field of play....would be happy enough for them to win the league this year.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:29am
I don't know what you're getting at Andkend in regards to the timing of this thread as it was Citizen who bumped this thread with an article he came across. I don't think Citizen follows any English team so Liverpool's current good form has no bearing on this.

As Barna Bee says Liverpool had to take responsibility as the perpetrators were associated with the the club. I suppose what irked the rest of the football world was the double standards when the club's own unwillingness to fully acknowledge their own fans part in what occured at Heysel. Liverpool were slow to (out of shame) to come to terms with their own actions. 

The FA finally took responsibility after years of English fans causing trouble at major football tournaments and together with the UK Police started coming down hard on the known hooligan elements, preventing them from travelling. There has been no major trouble involving English supporters since Euro 2000. These fans were dragging their country's name through the mud and they had to tackle it and it's been a huge success. 

If Irish fans started causing trouble at an Ireland away game, then collectively we have to take responsibility along with the FAI and then the government to tackle them as they are representing our country when we go abroad. 

The problem with Liverpool was their response was slow and the rest of the football world feel they didn't do enough. 

UEFA though were jointly responsible as they permitted the conditions to exist that led to this event. It could easily have been Juventus or United fans for that matter that caused the deaths but it was Liverpool and they should've reacted more appropriately

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:47am

The FA finally took responsibility after years of English fans causing trouble at major football tournaments and together with the UK Police started coming down hard on the known hooligan elements, preventing them from travelling. There has been no major trouble involving English supporters since Euro 2000.
Do you mean England fans or English fans ?

Because Ive been on two trips to Madrid and Barcelona where the Toon Army and Liverpool's finest wrecked the place. Not to mention Chelsea's antics in Amsterdam and Paris.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:56am
Originally posted by londonirish londonirish wrote:

it's never liverpool's fault.
It is Liverpool fans fault, of course it is.

But it's also the fault of Chelsea Headhunters, Millwall Bushwackers, West Ham's ICF etc who were all present that faithfull night in Brussels. It was a big night, the World Cup in Mexico the following year was too far away for your average thug to travel.

Why did UEFA (and the FA and the Conservative Government) ban ALL English clubs and not just Liverpool.

Anyway Im sick of all this Heysel/Hillsborough sh*te at this stage, its nearly 30 years ago.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:56am
On the evening of the 29 of May 1985 at Heysel stadium liverpool fans were directly involved in rioting which resulted in the loss of 39 lives.

may those people rest in peace. A serious loss for their loved ones. A serious tragedy which could have been prevented. A completely mindless loss of life.
As a current supporter of liverpool football club, i acknowledge the roll the club had in that tragedy.

As a fan of any club or nation we have to support the highs as well as the lows, but when it comes to mindless rioting and violence then we have to stand alone.

Heysel is every bit as much a part of the clubs history as all the titles and I for one acknowledge that.

We all have stuff in our past we'd rather forget, each and everyone of us, but it all adds up to who we are in the end of the day.

May 29th and I will be making a big deal about this event in the history of Liverpool history club. The bad has its part as much as the good but neither the good or the bad completely defines us. Its the good and the bad combined that makes our history.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 12:07pm

The FA finally took responsibility after years of English fans causing trouble at major football tournaments and together with the UK Police started coming down hard on the known hooligan elements, preventing them from travelling. There has been no major trouble involving English supporters since Euro 2000.
Do you mean England fans or English fans ?

Because Ive been on two trips to Madrid and Barcelona where the Toon Army and Liverpool's finest wrecked the place. Not to mention Chelsea's antics in Amsterdam and Paris.

England fans. Don't get me wrong they still cause sporadic trouble at major tournaments (fighting Swedish fans at the Euros) chanting offensive songs but the FA and UK Police deserve credit for cracking down on the main instigators.
I'd say if you go on an away European trip with any English football team you'll encounter more of the scumbag element as people are drinking all day as some of the English still travel with this Rule Brittania 'we're better than you ' mindset. I'm proud of the fact that when we  go abroad to Ireland games, our philosophy is too make friends and have the craic with the locals and police. They probably think we're stone daft LOL 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 12:14pm
Irish mufc, its called being inteligent and having cop on, much better to just take the piss out of everything and everyone.

someone was telling me a story about Irish fans in Albania some country anyways and the local authority were so afraid of violence that they put each country in its own ring fenced pen, the english started to thump 7 shades out of each other and the irish.

They all started baaaaaaing like sheep.

The irish never lose their sense of humor and sure the local ladies would'nt like that macho man stuff would they ;)

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 12:41pm
The Hillsborough thread reappears on the month of the 25th anniversary then the Heysel thread reappears shortly afterwards, a coincidence? A citizen is a nickname for a Man City fan, another coincidence?
The article is very good and lists the trouble caused by English clubs in Europe before 1985, Spurs at Feyenoord, Man Utd at St.Etienne etc. Liverpool played in 6 European Finals between 1973 and 1984 yet I don't see their name on the history of violence list despite so many long European campaigns.
Liverpool were at the forefront of the football casual movement, they were famous for robbing sports shops and jewelry stores across the continent in the late'70's and early '80's but the best known organized football violence gangs of the period are Man Utd, Leeds Utd, West Ham, Chelsea and Millwall.
It is noteworthy that some fans of the above clubs are the most vocal when it comes to criticizing Liverpool fans over Heysel.

Irish mufc, its called being inteligent and having cop on, much better to just take the piss out of everything and everyone.

someone was telling me a story about Irish fans in Albania some country anyways and the local authority were so afraid of violence that they put each country in its own ring fenced pen, the english started to thump 7 shades out of each other and the irish.

The irish never lose their sense of humor and sure the local ladies wouldn't like that macho man stuff would they ;)

It really goes by the collective mindset and level of alcohol consumption. Most English fans I ever met were spot on but as England generally bring large numbers to major tournaments you'll always get a few hundred scumbags when the majority are behaving themselves. They still have a sizable minority that sing racist offensive chants and start trouble as they drink to excess. You look at the conduct of Ireland and Celtic fans in direct contrast to Rangers/ England ones when they travel abroad. 
This colonial mindset which is based on subjugation of other peoples and countries is something that'll always remain with that sizable minority who live in that Thatcherite time warp that Britain still rules the seven seas. 

-------------

The irish never lose their sense of humor and sure the local ladies would'nt like that macho man stuff would they ;)

That happened at Italia 90..........in Caligiari and Genoa

Remember the queue for tickets for the Genoa match and we were coralled in behind crash barriers by the caribineiri for a couple of hours in the mid afternoon sun, sweating like dogs. We were literally melting in the sun waiting for the ticket desk to open. Anyway eventually it opens and the crowd starts moving causing a slight surge. The lads at the top of the queue spill forward and are encouraged to move back by baton wielding cops. The cops are all dead cool in their shades and swanky uniforms and poor paddy is in a jocker from the sun and dehydration. This one big fella trips forward a little and is pushed back by one of the cops. Your man was getting seriously pissed off and says to the cop "touch me again and i'll shove that stick for far up your arse".......the copper had this look of total fear on his face and walked away to a hail of laughter and abuse from the lads in the queue.

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 12:43pm

That happened at Italia 90..........in Caligiari and Genoa

Seen that on a video of Italia 90 before, the confusion on the policemen's face was brilliant.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 1:01pm
There are some 'Liverpool till I die' posts on this topic.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

The Hillsborough thread reappears on the month of the 25th anniversary then the Heysel thread reappears shortly afterwards, a coincidence? A citizen is a nickname for a Man City fan, another coincidence?
The article is very good and lists the trouble caused by English clubs in Europe before 1985, Spurs at Feyenoord, Man Utd at St.Etienne etc. Liverpool played in 6 European Finals between 1973 and 1984 yet I don't see their name on the history of violence list despite so many long European campaigns.
Liverpool were at the forefront of the football casual movement, they were famous for robbing sports shops and jewelry stores across the continent in the late'70's and early '80's but the best known organized football violence gangs of the period are Man Utd, Leeds Utd, West Ham, Chelsea and Millwall.
It is noteworthy that some fans of the above clubs are the most vocal when it comes to criticizing Liverpool fans over Heysel.

not a man city fan, thought i would share an article that was well balanced on the whole, no great conspiracy. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 1:26pm

You keep saying you're frightened? Frightened of what?

The bottom line here is if Liverpool as a club & their supporters had put their hand up & said "we were wrong, we are sorry" people may feel a whole lot different about Hillsbrough. Their 25 year search for justice is a bit hypocritical seeing as they never allowed the Juventus fans get it. As a club Liverpool blamed fans of other teams as well as Uefa & the stadium organisers.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 1:26pm

The irish never lose their sense of humor and sure the local ladies wouldn't like that macho man stuff would they ;)

It really goes by the collective mindset and level of alcohol consumption. Most English fans I ever met were spot on but as England generally bring large numbers to major tournaments you'll always get a few hundred scumbags when the majority are behaving themselves. They still have a sizable minority that sing racist offensive chants and start trouble as they drink to excess. You look at the conduct of Ireland and Celtic fans in direct contrast to Rangers/ England ones when they travel abroad. 
This colonial mindset which is based on subjugation of other peoples and countries is something that'll always remain with that sizable minority who live in that Thatcherite time warp that Britain still rules the seven seas. 

good post.

MY aunt and uncle have been the gaffer in brewery pub chains in london, I helped out always when we visited and I often saw that mentality towards my northern Irish uncle when people were getting chucked out and had a few too many.

it really drove me mad. Have'nt seen it in a long time, they have other darker skined groups from thr middle east they hate more than the irish these days.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

They were robbing tickets off their fellow supporters as recently as 2007.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-459708/Ticket-stealing-Liverpool-fans-branded-worst-Europe-UEFA.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-459708/Ticket-stealing-Liverpool-fans-branded-worst-Europe-UEFA.html

-------------
say yes

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

The bottom line here is if Liverpool as a club & their supporters had put their hand up & said "we were wrong, we are sorry" people may feel a whole lot different about Hillsbrough. Their 25 year search for justice is a bit hypocritical seeing as they never allowed the Juventus fans get it. As a club Liverpool blamed fans of other teams as well as Uefa & the stadium organisers.

what frightens me is the mentality that because you support a football club it automatically makes you the same as everyone else that supports that club.

for me its only about the football. GOALS in thr back of the net and how they preform in what ever leagues or cups they play in. That is the only thing I have in common with my fellow fans.

I don't think there is a stereo typical fan for any club, all sorts support all the clubs, i always get a kick when I am at a game and I see a granny walking on her own to the game decked out in the hat and scarf.
I don't hate any football club, sure some fans annoy me, some players I for sure dislike, but in general I can watch all of them.

Reading this thread this morning there was just something ingenuous about some of the comments. It was much more about getting at liverpool than it was about the actual loss of life in Heysel, the core of that tragedy is the people who died.

I think as mulvaneystrasse pointed out as well, violence was a huge part of football in the 80's. Its still a bit like that in Poland, it's changing and families are getting more involved in supporting the local team. Before it was all guys with a mindset for violence.

I Worked in the club trade and so many doormen never wanted football jerseys, why? Enough drink and the jersey and the team a bloke supports is provocation.
Hate that sh*t.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 2:10pm

Are you suggesting that Liverpool Football Club prevented Juventus fans from seeking justice over Heysel?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 2:55pm
Hillsborough 96 is exactly what it says on the tin.

justice for the 96

Not justice for the liverpool football fans.

Justice for the 96

Were there ever any convictions for Hillsborough. Was there heck, I think there was a couple of the commanding officers of the yorkshire police on the queens honours list.

Heysel was very different and on the whole the various parties took their collective responsibility for their role in the tragedy. Heysel stadium was never ever used for a football event.

The trial after the tragedy saw the head of security on the night convicted of Manslaughter in 1985.

most of the people convicted of manslaughter i.e the fans had previous convictions for football violence, so the arguement about the club giving them tickets is'nt valid as anyone with a fooball violence conviction should'nt have tickets. Lets face it these people can get tickets and be where they need to be, even with top security systems.

Hillborough might have happened over 30 years ago but rem its only been given justice last year.

There are major commemorations held every year and monuments to the tragedy.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 4:07pm

justice for the 96

Justice for the 96

Were there ever any convictions for Hillsborough. Was there heck, I think there was a couple of the commanding officers of the yorkshire police on the queens honours list.

Heysel was very different and on the whole the various parties took their collective responsibility for their role in the tragedy. Heysel stadium was never ever used for a football event.

The trial after the tragedy saw the head of security on the night convicted of Manslaughter in 1985.

most of the people convicted of manslaughter i.e the fans had previous convictions for football violence, so the arguement about the club giving them tickets is'nt valid as anyone with a fooball violence conviction should'nt have tickets. Lets face it these people can get tickets and be where they need to be, even with top security systems.

Hillborough might have happened over 30 years ago but rem its only been given justice last year.

Sadly, Hillsborough wasnt just about the 96 who perished.

What about those who got PDSD and have been permanently damaged since that day ?
What about those permanently disabled since that day, both mentally and phsically ?
What about those who drank themselves to death to escape what the saw that day ?
What about those who committed suicide to escape what they saw that day ?
What about the relationships and families destroyed as a consequence of events that day ?
What about those who survived and living with survivors guilt since that day ?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 4:11pm
Quote You have spent your time on this thread excusing liverpools role in it by first focusing on UEFA and then that the Juventus's fans were just as at fault. 

I know the Juventus fans were throwing missiles into the Liverpool section but the action which caused the deaths was committed by Liverpool fans.

I didn't excuse Liverpool fans role in it. I explicitly said who was responsible for each turn of events. Sorry that it doesn't suit the conventional "Blame Liverpool" mantra. 

I am really considering if I will ever read or post on this site again. The bitterness is something else.....

.....May 29th and I will be making a big deal about this event in the history of Liverpool history club.

Oh you are reading and posting again, as you will in the future. 

You won't post about this on May 29th though, as everyone quietly forgets about it every year after the Hillsborough Anniversary passes. 

Quote The timing of this thread is interesting, it was't brought up last year, why because Liverpool were midtable. 

It's brought up in April every year, usually by fans of Liverpool's rivals. On the day of the 20th Hillsborough Anniversary, someone wrote out the names of all victims of Heysel, trying to make 2 wrongs to be a right. They whinge that Liverpool don't accept responsibility, when in reality it's just a way to remind Liverpool of what happened. 

I support a number of clubs throughout Europe, with less than squeaky clean fan records down the years. If you took all the mudslinging and propaganda thrown to heart, you'd never watch a game again. But once the next game is underway, you're ready to watch and go again. 

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 4:14pm
You missed my point, it was'nt about liverpool fans. It was about victims. Who they supported is not an issue. It was a tragedy for the whole of the area regardless of what team they supported.

Planning I have made an event reminder and I will be posting. In wikipedia it says May 29th in the article Citizen posted it says may 30th.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Are you suggesting that Liverpool Football Club prevented Juventus fans from seeking justice over Heysel?

I'm suggesting that Liverpool football club's attempt to distance themselves from the event certainly showed a lack of respect to the people that died, the families of those who died & to Juventus. All it would have taken is an apology yet the chairman of the club suggested it was people not associated with Liverpool who caused the trouble over there that night. I was only 6 but I can remember the red jerseys & scarves on the people who were running after elderly men with sticks & stones. What happened that night was nothing short of a disgrace & yet those involved still will never own up to it. Its not a personal thing, I would be saying the same about any club if they were involved in something like that. I will say the same thing about Galatasary after the animals that associate themselves with the club murdered the 2 Leeds fans. No official apology was given to Leeds after that night. 14 years after those 2 lads were murdered I still hope that Galatasary rots from the inside out because they refused to acknowledge the incident. Like Liverpool, they deflected blame away from themselves.  

What happened at Heysel was caused by Liverpool supporters end of story, it can be dressed up anyway you want but those are the facts. And yes, Hillsborough & Heysel can be compared. They were 2 events that should never have happened. Both could have been prevented & more could have been done on the day itself to lessen the devastation that occurred. Liverpool got their apology from the people to blame for Hillsborough after a 20 odd year song & dance about it but Juve & the families of the victims at Heysel didn't get such an apology. 

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 5:00pm

What happened at Heysel was caused by Liverpool supporters end of story, it can be dressed up anyway you want but those are the facts.
They are not the facts.

The facts are that there were a considerable number of fans there from firms attached to Chelsea, Millwall, West Ham and others. It was a National Crew and yes of course it included Liverpool hooligans too. They were not there to watch the match, they were there to cause trouble and I bet you a thousand euro that not one of them had a match ticket. If it was Aston Villa or Nottingham Forest playing Juventus that night the same thing would have happened.

You obviously know nothing about hooliganism.
You talk about seeing red jerseys and scarves - casuals dont wear colours.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 5:29pm

What happened at Heysel was caused by Liverpool supporters end of story, it can be dressed up anyway you want but those are the facts.
They are not the facts.

The facts are that there were a considerable number of fans there from firms attached to Chelsea, Millwall, West Ham and others. It was a National Crew and yes of course it included Liverpool hooligans too. They were not there to watch the match, they were there to cause trouble and I bet you a thousand euro that not one of them had a match ticket. If it was Aston Villa or Nottingham Forest playing Juventus that night the same thing would have happened.

Oh so the Liverpool fans convicted weren't actually Liverpool fans? They were Millwall fans with a Merseyside address? What is your point about fans not having tickets? Hundreds of fans had knocked a hole in a wall so they could get in to see the match, they were all Millwall fans as well though were they? The hundreds of fellas seen in plain view of the many TV cameras there that night were wearing red scarves, I don't know what footage you were watching.

By the way, you've just proved my point. Liverpool blaming everyone but themselves. I'll be honest I'm just laughing at your pathetic excuse to defend what happened. What have Chelsea, Millwall & West Ham got to do with anything? Are you seriously trying to say they were the instigators of the stampede & the violence? Perhaps you should watch the footage of the guys in the Liverpool tops & scarves fighting with the Juve fans in the square before the game, on the pitch after the collapse of the wall & the footage of after the game when the Liverpool fans with Munich flags were lighting fires on the terrace.

Its all on camera & in hundreds of eye witness reports all of which are available online. I suggest you educate youreself on the events before commenting.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 5:34pm

They are not the facts.

So where do you get your facts from mand why would anyone listen to you ...what do you know about hooliganism that we don't? Not trying to start a fight but would appreciate to hear how well you are versed on thsi topic.

Who told you who was there and who was not ? 

My own knowledge of hooligans is that they dont go to games at all and dont wear colours . The wall collapsed when flag weidling Liverpool football fans ....and there were many ( hundreds involved) charged across their end to the neutral section where some Juve fans were situated  There is footage to prove this . its what the world  saw and bore witness to. 

Yes there was trouble outside the ground with the thugs and different firms  but the perptrators of the charge and wall collapse were football fans in the Liverpool end of the ground . Undeniable !

-------------

Posted By: deiseblue
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 5:55pm

justice for the 96

Justice for the 96

More palpable nonsense !

Prior to 1985 Heysel hosted 3 European Cup finals & 3 Cup Winner's Cup Finals , I was at the play off game v Belgium in 1997 at the same stadium - albeit re-named after King Bedouin.

The facts are - drunken ' Pool supporters decided to " run " Juve fans & as a result 39 innocent people died , no ifs & no buts .

This is why so many football fans are hoping that either City or Chelsea win the league as despite their undoubted hooligan element they have never been responsible for deaths on such an unprecedented scale - the reference to those who Liverppol fans who initiated the disaster as " murderers " is correct although they surely were unaware of the ultimate result of their criminal stupidity .

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 5:58pm

Quote You have spent your time on this thread excusing liverpools role in it by first focusing on UEFA and then that the Juventus's fans were just as at fault. 

I know the Juventus fans were throwing missiles into the Liverpool section but the action which caused the deaths was committed by Liverpool fans.

I didn't excuse Liverpool fans role in it. I explicitly said who was responsible for each turn of events. Sorry that it doesn't suit the conventional "Blame Liverpool" mantra. 

I am really considering if I will ever read or post on this site again. The bitterness is something else.....

.....May 29th and I will be making a big deal about this event in the history of Liverpool history club.

Oh you are reading and posting again, as you will in the future. 

You won't post about this on May 29th though, as everyone quietly forgets about it every year after the Hillsborough Anniversary passes. 

Quote The timing of this thread is interesting, it was't brought up last year, why because Liverpool were midtable. 

It's brought up in April every year, usually by fans of Liverpool's rivals. On the day of the 20th Hillsborough Anniversary, someone wrote out the names of all victims of Heysel, trying to make 2 wrongs to be a right. They whinge that Liverpool don't accept responsibility, when in reality it's just a way to remind Liverpool of what happened. 

I support a number of clubs throughout Europe, with less than squeaky clean fan records down the years. If you took all the mudslinging and propaganda thrown to heart, you'd never watch a game again. But once the next game is underway, you're ready to watch and go again. 

Funny that Planning because nobody else, not Liverpool fans agree with you. Everybody must be out of step except you. Your posts about UEFA and the Juve fans being just as responsible is an attempt to nullify Liverpool's culpability because you allow your own club loyalties to cloud your judgement that Liverpool fans were responsible for the deaths more than the Juventus fans were.Again if it was Liverpool fans that died you would certainly not be puuting the blame equally among both sets of fans. It has nothing to do with a 'blame Liverpool mantra'

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by deiseblue deiseblue wrote:

justice for the 96

Justice for the 96

More palpable nonsense !

Prior to 1985 Heysel hosted 3 European Cup finals & 3 Cup Winner's Cup Finals , I was at the play off game v Belgium in 1997 at the same stadium - albeit re-named after King Bedouin.

The facts are - drunken ' Pool supporters decided to " run " Juve fans & as a result 39 innocent people died , no ifs & no buts .

This is why so many football fans are hoping that either City or Chelsea win the league.

(I've been reading through the posts here, for once I haven't a whole lot to say other than to say liverpool supporters deserve the blame for what happened).

What you've said though, is that really true? so many football fans don't want liverpool to win the league because of heysel? I know so so many supporters of various clubs in my town. That has never ever been mentioned. I completely disagree with that.
Perhaps if you said a minority instead of many but there is no way what you've said rings through where I live.
I don't think it's the case (albeit with a little less proof) in the UK either having lived there.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 6:06pm
Hang on a second, you want an apology from Liverpool football club to the victims of the Heysel disaster.

legally I don't think that could happen as it would be admiting liability and could result in the victims of Heysel having some claim of responsibility over thr club.

Liverpool football club did not apologise to the victims of Hillsborough either.

I imagine the protocol legally on this issue is fairly stringent and would extent to sympathy and commemoration for the victims rather than apology.

In the case of the Hillsborough 96 & the apology made by the Pm and the Government, I imagine they struck some deal with the victims relatives and the relatives wanted a public apology. I am not sure of the facts on this one.

Personally the convictions were made the time was served. Juventus and Liverpool have faced each other since in the champions league and in Turin Liverpool fans were beaten by Juventus Ultras. Two wrongs make a right, eye for an eye approach to tragedy.

Do many people on here think that we the Irish people should feel apologetic for all the bombs the IRA killed people with in England. I don't think so.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net