Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keiren Westwood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Westwood and McGeady are beyond it now. We need to use these qualifiers to bring through players.

100% 

Need to be looking forwards not backwards 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Westwood and McGeady are beyond it now. We need to use these qualifiers to bring through players.

Agree with mcgeady but keeper is such an important position if Kelleher is not fit I think we have to play westwood.  

Could Gavin Bazunu start ?

Too young perhaps
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Agree with mcgeady but keeper is such an important position if Kelleher is not fit I think we have to play westwood.  

Too young perhaps

Think it's a lot to be expecting an 18 year old keeper to come in for such a big match.   I think it has to be Kelleher Westwood and Travers in that order maybe.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

100% 

We could play Westwood, mcgeady, keogh, Whelan and Hoolahan but I agree that this is backwards thinking.

What we need to do is ask how we can get the best from knight, Molumby, oshea and Cullen
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:21pm

Post of the week!can you repost next week?
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

100% 

We could play Westwood, mcgeady, keogh, Whelan and Hoolahan but I agree that this is backwards thinking.

What we need to do is ask how we can get the best from knight, Molumby, oshea and Cullen
Molumby not good enough for now
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:24pm

Too young perhaps

Think it's a lot to be expecting an 18 year old keeper to come in for such a big match.   I think it has to be Kelleher Westwood and Travers in that order maybe.  

He's 19. He's already played in the Europa League at the age of 16. And he's playing non-stop at league one all season with a team rooted to the bottom of the league with a sh!te defence, so he's been consistently called into action. I think he'd be ok.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:27pm

100% 

Could we not just look at the present? By all means if Jason Knight is good enough bring him in. But if McGeady is still good enough he should be involved as well. Same for Westwood. Picking a full team of kids will only lead to a hammering and damage to our future seeding.
hulkhogan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hulkhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:31pm

Very interesting to see the squad, when is it set to be announced?
Whacha gonna do
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

100% 

Could we not just look at the present? By all means if Jason Knight is good enough bring him in. But if McGeady is still good enough he should be involved as well. Same for Westwood. Picking a full team of kids will only lead to a hammering and damage to our future seeding.
Any team we pick is capable of getting a hammering.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:33pm
If someone is in form, especially ridiculous form, which McGeady is in at the moment, then call him up.

Here's the thing, by the time the September internationals roll around there's a very good chance he won't be getting a sniff. Who cares? If you can do a job now, get him in.

It's not like we're omitting some new up-and-coming player to accommodate him. We have no fooking players!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:33pm
you need to pick the strongest team available to you on the day 
Be the guy 16 or 35 it’s the first day out if we fall away in the group the younger lads will get more opportunities but for now you go with your strongest team.
and with the goalkeeper position experience is worth an awful lot not just in your self but to instil trust in the players in front of you.

A big decision to be made it must be Kelleher or Westwood.

Normal on balance I would choose Westwood’s experience but Kelleher has played at the highest level and the way Kenny likes to play suits Kelleher more.
Another big decision   

Edited by Fruice - 14 Mar 2021 at 8:39pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:43pm
This is from an article in relation to the Irish rugby team, but it's very apt also when it comes to the football team...
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:43pm

Too young perhaps

Don't get that one Baldy, why would a 19 year old playing very week be worse off than a 22 year old playing the odd game, just back from injury or a 21 year old benchwarmer? 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:50pm
Westwood has played in playoff finals at Wembley,  kelleher has played in champions league matches and premier league games.    Travers played in a couple of premier league games.  Hence the reason for order.  

We do not know how he will react to be thrown into such a huge game a d Travers would be a risk too but if we had no choice  and it was between him and Bazunu I would go with Travers as he has shown he can react to be thrown in at the highest level. Travers has been playing regularly for Swindon until being recalled last month.  

Edited by Baldrick - 14 Mar 2021 at 8:51pm
AKA pedantic kunt
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 9:00pm

Westwood has played in playoff finals at Wembley,  kelleher has played in champions league matches and premier league games.    Travers played in a couple of premier league games.  Hence the reason for order.  

We do not know how he will react to be thrown into such a huge game a d Travers would be a risk too but if we had no choice  and it was between him and Bazunu I would go with Travers as he has shown he can react to be thrown in at the highest level. Travers has been playing regularly for Swindon until being recalled last month.  

Fair enough! Thought Travers, bar one game, was awful in the Premier league myself, he only played a handful of games for Swindon too if I'm not mistaken

I'd go Westwood, Bazunu, Kelleher myself but that's as much to do with the latter's injury, wouldnt have an issue with him starting. Wouldn't have Travers anywhere near the team. 

Edited by nvidic - 14 Mar 2021 at 9:00pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 9:03pm

Hang on. Bazuna was thrown into a Europa League game at 16, which is 3 years ago now. 

What is this obsession with age in Irish football?
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

This Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051>
  Share Topic