You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keiren Westwood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 51>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 5:44pm

Any chance we could field an over 34s team that would be better than we have now? Can only think of these lads 

Westwood 

Keogh    Ward 

Whelan Hoolahan 

Shane Long 
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 5:48pm
McGeady would be in there too.

Truth is, there is no outstanding choice for keeper. Westwood is, by my understanding, the highest placed, and most regularly selected keeper we have. The quality of games Kelleher is making, with the manager he has, makes a case for him. Randolph's history will make a case for him too. However, Westwood should at least be recalled to the squad.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Any chance we could field an over 34s team that would be better than we have now? Can only think of these lads 

Westwood 

Keogh    Ward 

Whelan Hoolahan 

Shane Long 

Westwood
O'Brien  Keogh  McShane  Ward
          Whelan   Quinn
Long       Hoolahan    McGeady
              Murphy   
IrishMan234 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishMan234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 11:31pm
Randolph is injured also atm plus he won’t have game time come Serbia. Whereas Westwood will have played a lot of games. If Kelleher got a loan move last month and played regularly by all means play him. Bazunu is defo in with a shout with Travers but I think Kenny has to seriously consider Westwood. 

Edited by IrishMan234 - 11 Feb 2021 at 12:54am
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 9:57am
Seems that he would never rule out a call if needed for ireland. 

That being said I think it should be seriously considered that he be the keeper for the Serbia and Luxembourg games and kelleher in for the Qatar game in march.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 1:02pm
Reading between the lines, it seems he would be open to a call-up if he'd have a chance of starting.

“When Mick was in charge I was playing at Wednesday but I had a few niggles and stuff,” Westwood explains to The42. “He just said: ‘you’re 35 years old, you’ve got three kids, I don’t really want to be dragging you here, there and everywhere because obviously Randy [Darren Randolph] is going to play.’
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 1:09pm
Well I think this kinda still applies with Westwood now, if kenny calls him up he needs to play him, no point having Westwood on the bench as he would be better placed to give that backup spot to kelleher or Travers.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 1:13pm
I'd call him up and play him.
If we start Randolph, who has been injured the last while and bench-warming the rest of the time, that's a regressive step.
Should be Westwood if we want experience, and Kelleher if we want to push for the future.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 2:48pm
Like Westwood but my goodness how can anyone look at the way we are trying to play look at how impressive Kelleher has been and say they want Westwood to start over Kelleher.

I’m not being smart but you don’t see the Welsh crying they want Ashley Williams back to start instead of Rodon or Cabango or Chris Günter to play ahead of Neco Williams. Would you see the Scots saying they want Charlie Adam or MacArthur back in ahead of Billy Gilmour or Mctominay for example? You wouldn’t. 

Edited by kevin100 - 11 Feb 2021 at 4:02pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Like Westwood by my goodness how can anyone look at the way we are trying to play look at how impressive Kelleher has been and say they want Westwood to start over Kelleher.

I’m not being smart but you don’t see the Welsh crying they want Ashley Williams back to start instead of Rodon or Cabango or Chris Günter to play ahead of Neco Williams. Would you see the Scots saying they want Charlie Adam or MacArthur back in ahead of Billy Gilmour or Mctominay for example? You wouldn’t. 

He's been at fault for several goals Wednesday have conceded since coming back in to the side as well.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 3:59pm
I can’t say I have seen much of him to comment on that now. He’s a good keeper at his best. He’s 36. 

If it’s in any way in the balance at all “more experienced etc” then the fact we want to play a total passing style which Kelleher would had another dimension to should render the argument dead.

Things can change Kelleher might play again soon and have a nightmare etc. Who knows he wasn’t training yesterday Kelleher so has a bit of a knock too by all accounts mightn’t be fit.

As of now Westwood over Kelleher not a hope.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 4:03pm
Not sure if Westwood is the answer, but excluding Ireland games, Randolph has played twice since last September. Holy Jaysus, that's sh!te by any standards for a 1st choice international goalkeeper.

He's only still getting his game as we have no viable alternative. I don't see that changing any time soon. He'll probably still be first choice come September, and probably won't have accumulated many more minutes outside of the Irish shirt.

The days when we had a scenario that Dean Kiely couldn't get a game cause Shay Given was so good. Crazy standard of goalkeeping we had in the first half of the 2000's.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 5:16pm
Good interview. Good to hear he keeps an eye on the younger lads

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 6:22pm
Great interview, to be fair to him.

But if Randolph is unavailable in March I'd give Kelleher or Travers the jersey. Our chances of making the finals are next to zero anyway, I think we have little to lose by blooding a decent younger player in a situation like that. And Kelleher and Travers both have decent potential to be fair, you wouldn't just be capping them for the sake of it.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 7:23pm
Given all the negativity on and off the forum between covid, no social events to look forward to and the state of our national team, I have to say that article has actually cheered me up a bit. Thumbs Up

I really hope Kenny calls him up as the lack of game time for our main goalkeeper is a major concern. Westwood is certainly still good enough for the squad and could have a year or so left in him to play at international level, particularly if he's still playing week in and week out in the Championship. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I can’t say I have seen much of him to comment on that now. He’s a good keeper at his best. He’s 36. 

If it’s in any way in the balance at all “more experienced etc” then the fact we want to play a total passing style which Kelleher would had another dimension to should render the argument dead.

Things can change Kelleher might play again soon and have a nightmare etc. Who knows he wasn’t training yesterday Kelleher so has a bit of a knock too by all accounts mightn’t be fit.

As of now Westwood over Kelleher not a hope.

Can Westwood not complete a pass out to his defense????we’r making out kelleher to be an ederson/allison...and with time he may be.at the moment he’s Liverpool’s no.2 and is highly inexperienced at any level.if Westwood is playing games in the championship and kelleher and Randolph are bench warming in the premiership then Westwood should start for us.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
IrishMan234 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishMan234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:38pm
I’d be quite happy if he started anyway. Deserves too on current form. Felt he deserved more caps throughout his career especially during the euros over Given. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 11:56pm
No one is claiming Kelleher is Alisson at all. The implication he has to be to play for Ireland is laughable in itself. 

I have no doubt he can pass the ball out Westwood. Not that simplistic though as we have seen with Randolph. However we are playing real possession based football out from the back and we have a young keeper who has played and impressed mostly for said distribution which many observers would tell you is already up there close to elite level and has done so for one of the top teams in Europe. He is designed for that style of play. 

It’s the equivalent of Welsh fans calling for Ashley Williams or Chris Gunter for Rodon or Neco Williams or Scots calling for Charlie Adam to play ahead of Billy Gilmour best way I can put it. 😂 

As it currently stands and it changes week to week for sure Kelleher is the guy I’d play no contest taking everything into account. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 51>
  Share Topic