Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keiren Westwood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 51>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

[QUOTE=GUFC_Andy]watched Westwood against Newcastle yesterday, was brilliant as usual. A far better keeper than Randolph as others on here point out [QUOTE]

Simply not true. You can argue, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you, that he is the better of the 2 keepers, but it is marginal at best. If he was in fact as superior to Randolph as you claim, with some massive gulf in class between them, well, Liverpool don't have a great keeper, neither do Man City, why isn't Westwood playing for one of them ?? 

This is the kind of rubbish that gets thrown around here regularly, that player X is ''far better'' than player Y, but barring Seamus Coleman, who is genuinely a class player who would hold his own in any team you care to mention, we have a bunch of lads for nearly every position who are roughly of equal ability, and picking one over the other is what the manager does. We can all have our opinions, but simply making a statement like the above doesn't make it true. 

I would normally agree with ya but I think in this case it is more than marginal, unfortunately for Westwood the problem MON has is personal. Westwood is consistently judged to be the best keeper in the Championship, I don't think Randolph would be near the top 10, so I think "far better" is a fair assessment. In fairness to Randolph he also hasn't done anything to deserve to be dropped, I just don't think he should have been first choice at that time.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by BlackKat BlackKat wrote:

Originally posted by GUFC_Andy GUFC_Andy wrote:

watched Westwood against Newcastle yesterday, was brilliant as usual. A far better keeper than Randolph as others on here point out

Bad mistake for Newcastles goal.
Just saw it, not his best moment!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 4:30pm
Being honest Deise in terms of ability ,I think Westwood is better than Randolph. Randolph has been very good for us and doesn't deserve to be dropped but I was blown away with Westwood's performance against United a some years ago when he was playing for Sunderland.

A bit like Given in his prime, he can pull of these reaction saves at close range that Randolph can't or hasn't done imo.

I'm happy enough though with Randolph in goal all the same. We always seen to produce fairly solid keepers anyway. O'Neill is very loyal to players and I don't think this is a case where it's scandalous that Westwood isn't playing but he's unlucky to be behind a goalie who's doing well.

The great thing is is that we can have Westwood for the next 4 years if he decided to stay in the international set up. Great back up to have
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 4:39pm
Westwood had a plum opportunity to secure the Sunderland and ROI Number 1 shirts in 2012, and unfortunately that never panned out as it might. Randolph made the most of an opportunity at West Ham in 2015, after Adrian was suspended for three games, and it was shortly after that, that Given was injured against Germany, and a replacement was needed.

Randolph is a good shot stopper. I see that on the regular when he is playing with West Ham, and he is quite good even in 1 on 1 situations. However, he has become more prone to the occasional gaffe, and currently most West Ham fans want Adrian back in between the sticks. Bilic is considered to favour Randolph, especially as he has shown great character since 2015 when he was nearly relegated to 3rd Choice keeper after a difficult pre-season, however, that may chance, and under those circumstances, he may drop back.

I honestly believe that for the first time in many years we have relatively reliable, and generally dependable, journeymen GK's, as opposed to an undisputed Number 1. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 4:45pm
I'm with Deise on this. If Westwood is much better then why is he stuck in The Championship? It's not like he's an unknown youngster.

For various reasons Westwood has been missing for us so many times that he can't have many complaints about not being the no.1
El Puto Amo
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 4:48pm
To add to Hetfield's point, Randolph made a gaffe at Anfield but produced an unbelievable save from Coutinho in the top corner.

Even under pressure Randolph gets great distance on his kick outs
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

[QUOTE=GUFC_Andy]watched Westwood against Newcastle yesterday, was brilliant as usual. A far better keeper than Randolph as others on here point out [QUOTE]

Simply not true. You can argue, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you, that he is the better of the 2 keepers, but it is marginal at best. If he was in fact as superior to Randolph as you claim, with some massive gulf in class between them, well, Liverpool don't have a great keeper, neither do Man City, why isn't Westwood playing for one of them ?? 

This is the kind of rubbish that gets thrown around here regularly, that player X is ''far better'' than player Y, but barring Seamus Coleman, who is genuinely a class player who would hold his own in any team you care to mention, we have a bunch of lads for nearly every position who are roughly of equal ability, and picking one over the other is what the manager does. We can all have our opinions, but simply making a statement like the above doesn't make it true. 

I would normally agree with ya but I think in this case it is more than marginal, unfortunately for Westwood the problem MON has is personal. Westwood is consistently judged to be the best keeper in the Championship, I don't think Randolph would be near the top 10, so I think "far better" is a fair assessment. In fairness to Randolph he also hasn't done anything to deserve to be dropped, I just don't think he should have been first choice at that time.

If you wouldn't mind, could you name the keepers that would keep Randolph well out of the top 10 in the Championship?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 6:36pm
I don't think there's much between Westwood, Randolph, or even Elliot. Westwood edges it for me too though.
We're decent enough..
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 7:13pm
As long as Rando is playing every week, he's number 1 for me. All keepers are prone to gaffes, even the ver top ones, so I won't hold that against him. Solid for us!

I like Westwood and it is great to have him as back-up, but that's about it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 7:25pm
10 was probably a bit flippant and hyperbolic but I think a case can be made for any of the following over him:
Westwood
Green(bar one howler he has had a surprisingly good season)
Stockdale
Darlow
McGovern(based on his NI form, his club form has been poor)
Carson
Ward
Bentley

Randolph is probably around the same level of performer as some of them, but I think Westwood is the stand out on that list anyway. I do think that he has a personality that seems to grate with managers and that is possibly why he is in the Championship and definitely why he is back up to Randolph.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 7:32pm
Ward- absolutely no chance, shockingly overrated keeper
Green- Not even close at this stage of his career
McGovern- Getting ridiculous now....
Stockdale- Easily a level below Randolph
Bentley- Too early in his career to say
Darlow- I've seen nothing to suggest he's better than Elliot, let alone Randolph

Randolph would comfortably be in the top 5 keepers in the Championship if he played there, along with Westwood. There can be very little doubt about that.

Edited by The O'Shea - 09 Apr 2017 at 7:33pm
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Ward- absolutely no chance, shockingly overrated keeper he is overrated, about the same as Randy
Green- Not even close at this stage of his career I take it you haven't watched him this year?
McGovern- Getting ridiculous now....  he has been awful this season
Stockdale- Easily a level below Randolph easily the same level, I would prefer him of the 2
Bentley- Too early in his career to say Will only get better
Darlow- I've seen nothing to suggest he's better than Elliot, let alone Randolph I prefer Elliot of the three

Randolph would comfortably be in the top 5 keepers in the Championship if he played there, along with Westwood. There can be very little doubt about that.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 8:43pm

Ward- absolutely no chance, shockingly overrated keeper he is overrated, about the same as Randy
Green- Not even close at this stage of his career I take it you haven't watched him this year?
Stockdale- Easily a level below Randolph easily the same level, I would prefer him of the 2
Darlow- I've seen nothing to suggest he's better than Elliot, let alone Randolph I prefer Elliot of the three

Elliot probably better keeper than both alright but tbh Darlow has played well this season
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Elliot probably better keeper than both alright but tbh Darlow has played well this season
Will Elliot stay and wait for his chance or will he move ?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I'm with Deise on this. If Westwood is much better then why is he stuck in The Championship? It's not like he's an unknown youngster.

Because he's an Irish international.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 9:42pm
I thought I was having 1 of them days I needed to take my pills because I thought I saw someone suggest that Karl Darlow is better than KW. But its actually real.

I'm not even sure what the argument is about tbh. It's pretty well known KW is 1 of the best in the league but won't get a permanent #1 role for Ireland because of the beef with MON. I thought we established this a few years back not in 2017
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I thought I was having 1 of them days I needed to take my pills because I thought I saw someone suggest that Karl Darlow is better than KW. But its actually real.

I'm not even sure what the argument is about tbh. It's pretty well known KW is 1 of the best in the league but won't get a permanent #1 role for Ireland because of the beef with MON. I thought we established this a few years back not in 2017

Unless I've gone blind, I don't see anyone suggesting Darlow is better than Westwood
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 10:23pm

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Will Elliot stay and wait for his chance or will he move ?

Well next season they'll be 4 keepers vying for number 1, on form I'd rate Krul as the best keeper then Elliot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 51>
  Share Topic