You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 154>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 9:18am
So many European teams left. I think it's obvious Europe deserves more then the extra 3 teams we'll get for a 48 team WC. Italy, Norway, turkey, Sweden, Ireland, Scotland, Greece, Ukraine, Finland, Czech Republic, Austria, Israel, Ukraine, Russia, Slovakia, Albania, Iceland, Hungary, Romania, North Macedonia.

All half decent teams yet you'll have the likes of Panama, Trinidad and new Zealand qualifying for these. Over 50 countries in Europe and the standard is clearly the highest. Only other respectable region is south America. If they ever do the 64 team world cup they'd really want to give more to Europe then the other regions. 

The standard in the euros isn't far off the world cup by itself if not equal on average. 
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

When did South Korea become The Korea Republic?

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 11:48am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

So many European teams left. I think it's obvious Europe deserves more then the extra 3 teams we'll get for a 48 team WC. Italy, Norway, turkey, Sweden, Ireland, Scotland, Greece, Ukraine, Finland, Czech Republic, Austria, Israel, Ukraine, Russia, Slovakia, Albania, Iceland, Hungary, Romania, North Macedonia.

All half decent teams yet you'll have the likes of Panama, Trinidad and new Zealand qualifying for these. Over 50 countries in Europe and the standard is clearly the highest. Only other respectable region is south America. If they ever do the 64 team world cup they'd really want to give more to Europe then the other regions. 

The standard in the euros isn't far off the world cup by itself if not equal on average. 

Mostly due to UEFA actually using FIFA money correctly for years. While yes European teams are better would it really benefit the game globally to give them more teams over other confederations, if that is indeed what FIFA wants to do.

Yes you might see a better (more competitive) game if let's say a Slovakia or Austria played Brazil over Trinidad & Tobago or Jamaica playing Brazil, but the potential money if used correctly by those confederations could help improve their infrastructure which I think is better in the long run.  
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 12:38pm
This is a sh1te world cup i think. Utterly forgettable on the pitch anyway whatever about off it. We'll see what the QF's bring up but so far its been very poor. 
I love beer gardens
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 1:02pm

Half decent: Italy, Ukraine, maybe Norway and Turkey

Not so decent / bang average: Sweden, Ireland, Scotland, Greece, Ukraine, Finland, Czech Republic, Austria, Israel, Russia, Slovakia, Albania, Iceland, Hungary, Romania, North Macedonia.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 1:09pm
I think there should be more cross confederations playoffs.

Thus giving better teams a great opportunity to qualify.

This is a fairer way but with FIFA fairness doesn’t count for much 

Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

This is a sh1te world cup i think. Utterly forgettable on the pitch anyway whatever about off it. We'll see what the QF's bring up but so far its been very poor. 

You must be joking? One of the most entertaining group stages in tournament history. Last 16 has been average at best, some mouth watering ties in store for QFs at least 

Edited by Greener92 - 06 Dec 2022 at 1:10pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Yes you might see a better (more competitive) game if let's say a Slovakia or Austria played Brazil over Trinidad & Tobago or Jamaica playing Brazil, but the potential money if used correctly by those confederations could help improve their infrastructure which I think is better in the long run.  
The key phrase is "if used correctly".

On which point your example of Trinidad & Tobago is very apposite, seeing as Jack Warner and his family have been using the T&T FA as their personal cashpoint for decades. (Google eg "Shaka Hislop+Jack Warner+Court case")

Some of those guys could teach John Delaney lessons in Creative Accounting, which is why the other Confederations' teams are still no closer to UEFA and CONMEBOL than ever (eg it is seven World Cups since Africa were first given five entries to the finals).

Nor, with an absolute chancer like Infantino at the helm of FIFA, will that ever change - they're all so deep in each others pockets that they can no longer recognise daylight.

Edited by Territorial - 06 Dec 2022 at 1:26pm
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

The key phrase is "if used correctly".

On which point, your example of Trinidad & Tobago is very apposite, seeing as Jack Warner and his family have been using the T&T FA as their personal cashpoint for decades. (Google eg "Shaka Hislop+Jack Warner+Court case")

Some of those guys could teach John Delaney lessons in Creative Accounting, which is why the other Confederations' teams are still no closer to UEFA and CONMEBOL than ever, eg seven World Cups after Africa were first given five entries to the finals.

Nor, with an absolute chancer like Infantino at the helm of FIFA, will that ever change - they're all so deep in each others pockets that they can no longer recognise daylight.

Yep that's my exact point "If used correctly" 

Yep Warner for example pretty much kept all the money for himself instead of using it to better the game in not only T&T but other Caribbean nations which he was the head of for years. He didn't swindle the likes of the US and Mexico though as he probably knew better (Of course it all caught up with him) The fella who replaced him can't remember his name was as bad as soon as he took over he was like Bribe me X.

The FIFA documentary on Netflix is quite the eye opener, as you say Infantino is as bad he just hasn't been caught yet. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

You must be joking? One of the most entertaining group stages in tournament history. Last 16 has been average at best, some mouth watering ties in store for QFs at least 
First week was dull with a load of 0-0’s but been excellent since then. Final day of the groups were brilliant in almost every group.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 1:35pm

Interesting selection.

But if "Ireland" [sic] make the cut, I can think of quite a few others who should also be on it.

Well one, in particular. Wink
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 1:49pm

The fella who replaced him can't remember his name was as bad as soon as he took over he was like Bribe me X.
I think you may be referring to Chuck "Mr. Ten Per Cent" Blazer. As it happens, he did help develop "soccer" in the USA, but that appears to have been only a sideline to his day job of hoovering up money from FIFA/CONCACAF on an industrial scale.

This excerpt from his Guardian Obituary is typical:
"Blazer also ran up nearly $30m on the corporate Amex card. Concacaf paid for his residences in the Bahamas, Miami and in Trump Tower, New York, where he maintained two apartments on the 49th floor, one housing his cats, while the confederation offices and a state-of-the-art television studio took up the entire 17th floor. Concacaf paid for his $50,000 Hummer SUV, and nearly half that sum annually to garage it, but Blazer more often moved about New York on one of his fleet of mobility scooters, with Max, his pet macaw, on his shoulder. The bird was a gift from his ex-wife, who had taught it to cackle 'You’re a dope' at Blazer."
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 1:57pm

A lot of 0-0's but a lot of great underdog wins too. The heat definitely brought the goal count down, as did VAR being pedantic/correct.

The last 16 has been fairly forgettable, could have guessed that from the draw, If Belgium/Germany had got through you'd have had big clashes, as it is, there was a big name and a lesser name out of each group. Looking like a cracking last 8 though.

FWIW, I also feel we'll have an upset (or two) today.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

The fella who replaced him can't remember his name was as bad as soon as he took over he was like Bribe me X.
I think you may be referring to Chuck "Mr. Ten Per Cent" Blazer. As it happens, he did help develop "soccer" in the USA, but that appears to have been only a sideline to his day job of hoovering up money from FIFA/CONCACAF on an industrial scale.

This excerpt from his Guardian Obituary is typical:
"Blazer also ran up nearly $30m on the corporate Amex card. Concacaf paid for his residences in the Bahamas, Miami and in Trump Tower, New York, where he maintained two apartments on the 49th floor, one housing his cats, while the confederation offices and a state-of-the-art television studio took up the entire 17th floor. Concacaf paid for his $50,000 Hummer SUV, and nearly half that sum annually to garage it, but Blazer more often moved about New York on one of his fleet of mobility scooters, with Max, his pet macaw, on his shoulder. The bird was a gift from his ex-wife, who had taught it to cackle 'You’re a dope' at Blazer."

Was actually talking having looked up Jeffey Webb who took over after Warner, Blazer yeah while he pocketed a good bit as you say actually did use some of the money to help US "Soccer"
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

A lot of 0-0's but a lot of great underdog wins too. The heat definitely brought the goal count down, as did VAR being pedantic/correct.

The last 16 has been fairly forgettable, could have guessed that from the draw, If Belgium/Germany had got through you'd have had big clashes, as it is, there was a big name and a lesser name out of each group. Looking like a cracking last 8 though.

FWIW, I also feel we'll have an upset (or two) today.

I think Morocco could spring a surprise today they're a decent team
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 2:05pm

Mostly due to UEFA actually using FIFA money correctly for years. While yes European teams are better would it really benefit the game globally to give them more teams over other confederations, if that is indeed what FIFA wants to do.

Yeah I've had this debate with Territorial for the past week on another thread. More spaces for developing areas, if used correctly is the way to grow the game. I'd much prefer to watch Egypt, Colombia, Nigeria than Ukraine, Scotland, North Macedonia (which would have been the way if you'd 3 more UEFA spots here)

Of the 18 non-European teams who qualified for the tournament, 17 won a game
Or the 13 European teams, 3 didn't get a win.

More European teams doesn't mean more Spain, England, France, it means more Wales, Serbia, Denmark performances
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 2:11pm

Well said. The same people give out about FIFA corruption and unfairness and forget the main role is to spread the sport around the world. For it's many faults, it does actually deliver millions of grants to associations. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 2:13pm
No shocks yet in the knockouts, surely one today!

Japan should have taken Croatia yesterday Cry
It would damage this forums' reputation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 154>
  Share Topic